What do you think can be done about violence in many black communities?

Options
A Talented One
A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
Just wondering what your ideas are.

For anybody who doesn't know, after having been on a downward trajectory for more than two decades, violent crime in many cities in N. America has been going up since last year, and much of it seems to be young black men.

Also, I have seen reports that suggest that the violence seems to be more about perceived insults than disputes about drug turf, as in was in the past.

Anyway, what are your thoughts?

Post relevant links if you think they are useful.

Comments

• jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't know whether crime is rising or not. I wouldn't have that info off hand. I can tell you that the problem will forever be too many people with nothing to lose in the same place.

No jobs
    No money
    No family (substantitve)
    No moral standards
    Drugs & alcohol abuse
    Gangs
    Mental illness
    Ego

Pick one and get work.
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We don't have enough violence cause, your ? ass is still alive.
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think rappers should rap about peace and love.

Oh wait, they tried that in the 80s.
  • Black Boy King
    Black Boy King Members Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Inb4 ? take the bait and this go 10 pages
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    Give those black folks resources and there won't be a need for ? to rob steal or sell drugs etc. /thread
  • IceManKam
    IceManKam Members Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No opportunities in many poor areas...coupled with poor support circles and voila!

I've learnt a strong support circle really makes the difference. The early stages of life are the times when positive influences should be exhibiting themselves upon a person...they usually shape how people turn out
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We just gonna talk ourselves in a circle again man.

And where are the black women to discuss this?
  • A Talented One
    Options
    Judah Back wrote: »
    Inb4 ? take the bait and this go 10 pages

Huh? What bait?
  • 5th Letter
    Options
    What solutions do you have @A Talented One
  • A Talented One
    Options
    5th Letter wrote: »
    Give those black folks resources and there won't be a need for ? to rob steal or sell drugs etc. /thread

1. That requires social policies that might not be forthcoming. Can anything be done short of that?

2. I'm talking more specifically about violence, and if the violence really is more tied to the trading of insults than fighting over resources, it is not entirely clear that providing those resources would be the problem-solver that you're proposing.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Violence is going down

And jobs is the answer
  • A Talented One
    Options
    What solutions do you have @A Talented One

I have some thoughts, but can I offer them later? I really would like to hear some other ideas.
  • blackgod813
    blackgod813 Members Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Legalize drugs so that the government controll the sales..so that cant be done anymore...so make it unheard for bastard children to be born meaning out of wedlock.....? it I'm cure...it...dont teach about slavery at school home so society forgets easin racism... Have a program where they knock on your door for community work projects......yeah this music gotta stop two...we gotta stop beating are kids we must....what's the word conform
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    didnt read...

? U ? !!
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Violence is America s past time ....it s part of the fabric of this nation...u ll never get rid of violence....what u should aim to do is scale down the violence...more fist and knives and less hammers and choppers then go from there
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    didnt read...

? U ? !!

? !
  • IgboNegro
    IgboNegro Members Posts: 818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Aren't you white tho?
  • 5th Letter
    Options

1. That requires social policies that might not be forthcoming. Can anything be done short of that?

2. I'm talking more specifically about violence, and if the violence really is more tied to the trading of insults than fighting over resources, it is not entirely clear that providing those resources would be the problem-solver that you're proposing.

Violence is the result of deprivation and the lack of resources. Give people better jobs and opportunities and there won't be a need for drug dealing, robberies etc.
  • A Talented One
    Options
    AggyAF wrote: »
    Violence is going down

And jobs is the answer

No, not anymore.

Experts cannot agree on what to call a recent rise in homicides, much less its cause, but new data on Friday that showed a sharp spike in homicide rates in more than 20 cities rekindled debate over whether it was time for alarm.

The data showed particularly significant increases in homicides in six cities in the first three months of the year compared with the same period last year — Chicago, Dallas, Jacksonville, Fla., Las Vegas, Los Angeles and Memphis. But almost as many cities reported a notable decline in recent months.

New York saw a 25 percent drop, while Las Vegas’s homicide total nearly doubled.

Law enforcement officials struggled to explain the numbers and differed over their significance....

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/14/us/murder-rates-cities-fbi.html?_r=0
  • A Talented One
    Options

Violence is the result of deprivation and the lack of resources. Give people better jobs and opportunities and there won't be a need for drug dealing, robberies etc.

Those are not the not the only causes of violence.
  • Black Boy King
    Black Boy King Members Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    aint you suppose to be banned or some ? after a certain number a troll reactions?

I mean damn 2000 out of 4000 posts? + spam and abuse? CAC, i can divide
  • 5th Letter
    Options

What else could it possibly be?
  • A Talented One
    Options
    Judah Back wrote: »
    aint you suppose to be banned or some ? after a certain number a troll reactions?

I mean damn 2000 out of 4000 posts? + spam and abuse? CAC, i can divide

Man, ? you, you dumb ? ass.
  • IgboNegro
    IgboNegro Members Posts: 818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    But for real tho, I think educating the youth is a good way of combating violence
  • A Talented One
    Options

What else could it possibly be?

Listen, I have said one thing twice already in the thread. Are you reading what I am saying?

People beef over the trading of insults. People beef over perceived lack of respect. They also beef over women. Etc.

I just about ready to stop responding to you because you don't seem to be listening.