Black Yale Dishwasher Loses Job For Smashing Window Depicting Slaves Picking Cotton...

Options
stringer bell
stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/corey-menafee-loses-dishwashing-job-yale-racist-stained-glass
A black dishwasher at Yale University lost his job after breaking a stained-glass window in a dining hall that depicted slaves picking cotton, the New Haven Independent reported Monday.

Corey Menafee, 38, told the newspaper that he broke the “racist, very degrading” image with a broom handle in a frustrated outburst on June 13.

Menafee was arrested by New Haven police and now faces a felony charge. Yale Vice President for Communications Eileen O’Connor told the Indepdndent that he apologized and voluntarily resigned his post after the incident, which caused glass to fall on a female passerby walking next to the window. O’Connor said that the university won’t seek prosecution or restitution.

The pane in question decorated the dining hall at Calhoun College, named for alum and pro-slavery former Vice President John C. Calhoun. The university in April announced that the college's name would be preserved despite a year-long protest by students and faculty to change it and to remove the slavery-themed paintings and stained-glass panes scattered throughout the college. University officials announced last week that some panes depicting scenes from Calhoun’s life would be taken down.

Menafee told the Independent that he decided to knock the panel down on a random impulse and was not motivated by the name-changing campaign.

“I took a broomstick, and it was kind of high, and I climbed up and reached up and broke it,” he told the newspaper. “It’s 2016, I shouldn’t have to come to work and see things like that.”

“I just said, ‘That thing’s coming down today. I’m tired of it,’” he added. “I put myself in a position to do it, and did it.”

According to the newspaper, Manafee faces a second-degree misdemeanor charge of reckless endangerment and a first-degree felony charge of criminal mischief.
He is set to appear in court on Tuesday.

It's ? up he's facing charges.. But a real ? can only take looking at a white supremacist image being in his face on daily basis for so long...

Comments

• ChillaDaKilla
    ChillaDaKilla Members, Banned Users Posts: 7,082 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    was the glass there before he got hired?!

i only ask cause i aint readin all that ? ..
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I respect it. When a person is tired of ? they going to do what they feel they have to do.
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    D. Morgan wrote: »
    I respect it. When a person is tired of ? they going to do what they feel they have to do.

like quit??
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He knew they would deny his request to remove it if he asked.
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    D. Morgan wrote: »

like quit??

That is a option if its a work environment that said person is just tired of and fed up with.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If this dumb mother ? gets charged worse than these white folks that desecrate natural federally protected monuments....

I think the glass falling on a passerby may have something to do with it. I feel his pain though. Wtf is Yale doing with some ? like that?
  • SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The university in April announced that the college's name would be preserved despite a year-long protest by students and faculty to change it and to remove the slavery-themed paintings and stained-glass panes scattered throughout the college. University officials announced last week that some panes depicting scenes from Calhoun’s life would be taken down.

First of all... "slavery-themed paintings and stained-glass panes scattered throughout the college"

WTF? They must have people sign some ill contracts and waivers to work there because that sounds like the definition of a hostile work environment to me.

Second... now they're taking them down so they know they were wrong but dude still can't get his job back?
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Elzo69Renaissance

He need a lawyer bruh

His best bet is throw himself at the mercy of the court.....given the circumstances most judges will show leniency....
    Unless they decide to make an example out of him...depending on his criminal record, if its clean i predict a fine and probation and some sort of coundeling.
  • Jabu_Rule
    Options
    SneakDZA wrote: »
    The university in April announced that the college's name would be preserved despite a year-long protest by students and faculty to change it and to remove the slavery-themed paintings and stained-glass panes scattered throughout the college. University officials announced last week that some panes depicting scenes from Calhoun’s life would be taken down.

First of all... "slavery-themed paintings and stained-glass panes scattered throughout the college"

WTF? They must have people sign some ill contracts and waivers to work there because that sounds like the definition of a hostile work environment to me.

Second... now they're taking them down so they know they were wrong but dude still can't get his job back?

That's insane. Yale used to be called the Collegiate School in the beginning. The name was changed after Elihu Yale, a profiteering slave trader that worked for the East India Company helped finance buildings and other stuff. He wasn't a founder, nor did he attend the School.

• I Self Lord & Master
    I Self Lord & Master Members Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    that ? was more than welcome to make a u turn once he saw what was in there, but he say down n worked under that ?

yo bad

? wasnt noble he played himself
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    SneakDZA wrote: »
    Nah ? that and ? their slave windows.

LMAO!

• Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    gns wrote: »
    My ? said ? that ?
    2015-02-22-17_50_14.gif
    RADIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Spikies will always be that dude for this ? .
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Options
  • CracceR
    CracceR Members Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the painting wasn't saying that slavery is good right?
    it was just a snapshot of the times at some place
  • manofmorehouse
    manofmorehouse Members Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    In my Suge Knight voice: "Yall getting tired of slaves pictures all in the museums, in the classrooms and all on the windows?? Come work for an HBCU!"
  • SneakDZA
    edited July 2016
    Options
    CracceR wrote: »
    the painting wasn't saying that slavery is good right?
    it was just a snapshot of the times at some place

The slave windows and paintings were in commemoration of the life of the psychotic slave-owning deviant that Calhoun College was named after.

So yes they are, in effect, saying that slavery is good.
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? all of those old colleges, they're all centuries deep in slave money. The same money that will pay to send your black ass a email/letter that tells you that you ain't getting accepted unless you play on the team.
  • Jabu_Rule
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Maybe he shouldn't have take the job, but desperate times and all that. I think the increased tension from the Dallas attack which was sparked by the multiple people killed by cops in such a short time frame, is driving folks over the edge.
  • SneakDZA
    Options
    He said he didn't know about the windows when he took the job which is understandable. He probably stuck around until he found something new and then made his move
    “It’s 2016, I shouldn’t have to come to work and see things like that.”

“I just said, ‘That thing’s coming down today. I’m tired of it,’” he added. “I put myself in a position to do it, and did it.”

How can anyone argue against this? The students and faculty tried to get it taken down earlier and the school refused so what this man did was the only course of action.

Now the next black students, faculty members and employees won't have to deal with that ? when they're just trying to work, teach or learn in a non-hostile environment.

SMH @ trying to charge that man with a felony and take away his right to vote and possibly his freedom over breaking a damn window.