Pres. Obama To Hold Race Relations Town Hall On ESPN, ABC Thursday

Options

Comments

• okaay
    okaay Members Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ya'll forgot police are black too? I ain't heard ? from them either. Guess they all ? as well.
  • Bully_Pulpit
    Bully_Pulpit Members Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Stiff wrote: »
    Didn't watch but from reading y'alls comments and some of the posts the whole thing seems like some old school media flim-flam. What did they expect the outcome of this to be? What did Obama want to gain out of this? We know what ABC wanted...but what was Obama's end game here

Thats the million dollar question fam
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Never a doubt in my mind that this what were going to get from that townhall ?
    TA0118DL_web.jpg

• #1hiphopjunki3
    #1hiphopjunki3 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Didn't watch but from reading y'alls comments and some of the posts the whole thing seems like some old school media flim-flam. What did they expect the outcome of this to be? What did Obama want to gain out of this? We know what ABC wanted...but what was Obama's end game here

I dont think that's the million dollar question. It's very simple that the president is just trying to calm people down. That is what he is getting out of the whole ordeal. He just wants people to stay cool and not cause any more civil unrest.

He doesn't want something even crazier than the little bit that has happen to arise on his last few months on watch because that's something else that will tarnish his term or legacy. Lol.

As soon as I heard this was going down on ESPN radio, I knew it would be a dog and pony show. Black people expected the president to come off like his former pastor were always primed to be let down. I mean he hung that guy out to dry and he went to that church for years and he knew that guy personally. Lol. You expected him to condemn white people and or the police force? Lmao. Come on man, what were some of the people posting thinking?
  • gorilla
    gorilla Members Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Options
    gorilla wrote: »
    lol @ anybody who is surprised how this turned out. It was put out by ABC (Disney), what the ? ya'll expect. SOme of ya'll are gluttons for punishment.

And I really don't understand what the Garner family was expecting. Obama's State Department concluded that the Garner shooting was justified. So as far as the controversy goes, it doesn't really even apply to them as far as Obama and his people are concerned.

Eric Graner wasn't shot though....he was choked to death

Damn yall in such a hurry to defend obama that yall forgetting the lives that have been lost? Smh

lol Yeah I was thinking Brown, but I'm not sure where you got that I was defending Obama. You might want to slow down with the smartass remarks and try reading first.

Get out your feelings ? .

Next time get your thoughts correct before posting them.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Options
    lol @ anybody who is surprised how this turned out. It was put out by ABC (Disney), what the ? ya'll expect. SOme of ya'll are gluttons for punishment.

And I really don't understand what the Garner family was expecting. Obama's State Department concluded that the Garner shooting was justified. So as far as the controversy goes, it doesn't really even apply to them as far as Obama and his people are concerned.

Damn yall in such a hurry to defend obama that yall forgetting the lives that have been lost? Smh

lol Yeah I was thinking Brown, but I'm not sure where you got that I was defending Obama. You might want to slow down with the smartass remarks and try reading first.

The old "I said something stupid so I'm going to tell you to get out of your feelings" trick. You got me there. I'll definitely take your advice as soon as you learn to read and understand a post before you comment on it.

Anyway, people have to know that things like this with politicians involved are never going to be useful because they are never real. They never do real town hall events or debates. Everything they do is pre-organized to serve a certain agenda. Everybody should know that by now. It's not even a secret really. A town hall event could work, but it would have to be organized by people who really wanted to address the issues and not simply give of the appearance of wanting to do something. It would also have to be at least 3 hours because the first hour and a half would be wading through a bunch of ? before you actually get to the real poignant questions and answers.
  • Bully_Pulpit
    Options

I dont think that's the million dollar question. It's very simple that the president is just trying to calm people down. That is what he is getting out of the whole ordeal. He just wants people to stay cool and not cause any more civil unrest.

He doesn't want something even crazier than the little bit that has happen to arise on his last few months on watch because that's something else that will tarnish his term or legacy. Lol.

As soon as I heard this was going down on ESPN radio, I knew it would be a dog and pony show. Black people expected the president to come off like his former pastor were always primed to be let down. I mean he hung that guy out to dry and he went to that church for years and he knew that guy personally. Lol. You expected him to condemn white people and or the police force? Lmao. Come on man, what were some of the people posting thinking?

Opinions and assumptions youngin. ? need to start checking obamas receipts out chea. Imma leave it there i aint got time to visit cape town.
  • gorilla
    gorilla Members Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The old "I said something stupid so I'm going to tell you to get out of your feelings" trick. You got me there. I'll definitely take your advice as soon as you learn to read and understand a post before you comment on it.

Anyway, people have to know that things like this with politicians involved are never going to be useful because they are never real. They never do real town hall events or debates. Everything they do is pre-organized to serve a certain agenda. Everybody should know that by now. It's not even a secret really. A town hall event could work, but it would have to be organized by people who really wanted to address the issues and not simply give of the appearance of wanting to do something. It would also have to be at least 3 hours because the first hour and a half would be wading through a bunch of ? before you actually get to the real poignant questions and answers.

Look bruh, you got a lotta nerve talking about I said something stupid when you the one mix matching the victims of police murder, who happen to be your own people. I'd expect some ? like that from an out of the loop white person. Matter fact, I had to correct a white co worker a couple days ago while having a similar discussion.

You ? up, got corrected, now let it go. Ol' I'ma get the last word ass ? . You can have it.

Back to the topic at hand. I don't lol @ anyone who may have expected some honest and open dialogue. I mean you always hear about having to make our voices heard, but every time we do it seems to get overshadowed whether it be our literal voices or political voice. But like I said in another thread, it's time we stop trying to make people who don't want to understand, understand. It's counterproductive when we could be having these discussions and formulating plans with each other first, then people from other races who actually do care. I really think they try to keep us engaged in worthless dialogue to distract us, among other reasons.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Look bruh, you got a lotta nerve talking about I said something stupid when you the one mix matching the victims of police murder, who happen to be your own people. I'd expect some ? like that from an out of the loop white person. Matter fact, I had to correct a white co worker a couple days ago while having a similar discussion.

You ? up, got corrected, now let it go. Ol' I'ma get the last word ass ? . You can have it.

Back to the topic at hand. I don't lol @ anyone who may have expected some honest and open dialogue. I mean you always hear about having to make our voices heard, but every time we do it seems to get overshadowed whether it be our literal voices or political voice. But like I said in another thread, it's time we stop trying to make people who don't want to understand, understand. It's counterproductive when we could be having these discussions and formulating plans with each other first, then people from other races who actually do care. I really think they try to keep us engaged in worthless dialogue to distract us, among other reasons.

? , I admitted my mistake and moved on. Instead of doing the same, you've been acting like a ? .

As to what you said on topic, you're right, there is nothing wrong with people wanting to make their voices heard. You just have to be mindful of the forum. People got hyped because Obama was going to be there and didn't really consider how presidential town halls are run. I agree that we should be more worried about formulating plans than such discussions, but these discussions are only relevant if they involve other viewpoints. Something like this with nothing but black people sitting around would be pointless.
  • alliknowishate
    alliknowishate Members Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    rebootx1 wrote: »
    If the officer that killed tamir rice didn't get arrested charged and convicted be afraid be very afraid, Obama is not black we need to trade him next race draft , how could Michelle lay with such a man I have no idea he has 0 ? , not to stand up for the black thing but to stand up for the right thing

Obama was never black per se and his wife hates blacks. She's one of those black people that wouldn't date a white person but wants their s/o to act like one
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    Obama is the LGBT community president he's done more for them than he's done for black people. I get it though, he has no incentive to do stuff for us because we haven't done anything for him. But still a section of your people are getting slaughtered in the streets and you don't even make even a faint attempt to do something about it? Human rights violations all over the place and the best you can do is a ? town hall meeting? ? ? up.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    R.D. wrote: »
    It's such a spit in our face to keep saying what he can't do? Stop making excuses! Don't hold this townhall which ultimately just made it worse then. That kills me when y'all make excuses for him he ain't make for himself. Either talk about it or don't but these half ass attempts to address the issues is disrespectful and a disservice to us and everything we've been through

When he does say something people still criticize him...hell people were mad last week asking how come he hadn't spoken on the shootings when he was an airplane going to another country...forget the fact that he spoke soon as he landed...people were mad he ain't speak live from the plane...the expectations some have for what he can do aren't realistic at all and I think that's where alot of anger towards Obama is coming from. Knowing what he can and can't do as President is important because it should allow for people to be able to mad at the right people. You don't think those senators and congressman who have openly said for 8 years how they will do whatever they can to stop Obama aren't laughing at the anger people have towards Obama over this ? ? Their goal is literally being accomplished for them? If they wouldn't even change gun laws when a classroom full of children got shot up you think they're gonna listen to him about police violence?
  • thegreatunknown
    thegreatunknown Members Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Smh & lol.

Yall complain about the s*** going on, but complain even more about the kinda efforts trying to be made addressing the issues.

So I ask this...what are any of YOU doing outside the IC to help resolve what's going on? Cuz all I see us a lot of griping, but no resolution. No plans of what you're going to do in your community. How bout create a townhall meeting that specifically addresses the concerns YOU have.

I've participated in several legal clinics and did several hours of pro-bono work in first year of law school, working with my people discussing issues and educating them on their legal rights on a variety of issues and I will continue to do so. Not only that, within the last year I've been active in a mentoring program. That's what IM doing, some of us ARE actually out here trying to help and simply come here to vent a little. What are YOU doing since you see fit to call people out.

Oh I've participated in a couple of round table type discussions at my church back about "the talk". Sinc Trayvon Martin. Not with only the young brothas, but the men general in our church, and others. B/c it starts there.

Also encouraging folks to VOTE not on just the presidential elections, but also midterm, state, and local. So yes I have, will keep doing. Which is why I criticize, and will continue to do so to those who rather gripe from the bleachers, instead getting in the game.

Change doesn't happen by doing nothing. Nor does it happen overnight at rapid pace. Instead of putting everything at the President's feet, get at the Do Nothing Congress. Get at your local officials.

Much respect...but this farce of a "town hall" isn't part of the change you spoke of here. It was nothing more than lip service, no more impactful than the town hall they had years ago about the Michael Vick situation. People in here saw it for what it was and passed...
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Barry failed y'all again......he was always to keep the ? population calm snd stupefied
  • Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    For he went from giving a decent speech at the pigs memorial service on Tuesday, to reverting back to being the "? -in-Chief."
  • Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kinda unrelated but funny: I read that ? ppl call Obama the first ? president the way black people used to call bill clinton the first Black president
  • #1hiphopjunki3
    #1hiphopjunki3 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Opinions and assumptions youngin. ? need to start checking obamas receipts out chea. Imma leave it there i aint got time to visit cape town.

I have no clue what you talking about. Lmao. On the real though I truly don't know what you mean with your response. I wasn't trying to be disrespectful towards your comment I just thought it seemed obvious what he was going to do as soon as I heard about the press conference. ? , everything he has done since being in office, aside from taking out Bin Laden has been pretty predictable to me. He is doing what any politician would do
  • JA_AO
    JA_AO Members Posts: 7
    Options
    As someone mentioned earlier Abc will benefit from the ratings of retraumitizing us, what is HObama getting out of this

Clinton scandal involved Real Estate, Bush jr. Oil. Im wondering if Obama getting some of that media/entertainment money. He cant be this stupid to hold a townhall like this
  • JA_AO
    JA_AO Members Posts: 7
    Options
    ..im out, back to lurking
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    once again we just can't forget he was raised by white folks in Hawaii...what's the chances he really faced the same experiences we did coming up...? told that wack ass elevator story and i was like ok he ain't been through no real storm
  • Paprika
    Paprika Members Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DWO wrote: »
    Would ? be mad if after he's out the white house the gloves come off and he goes 100% for the cause and use all his remaining power and influence to kick ? off...

Or would it be too late?

? will still find a way to ? .

Damned if he do, damned if he don't.

And if they complain why wouldn't they? This isn't a situation where we can praise Obama for his leadership, because frankly he's very pedestrian. Banks were bailed out, no one did time. He allowed Snowden to get away with the big exposure, and yet he still hasn't been extradited. What I've seen from his term is a lack of follow through.

Blacks obviously had an inflated view of what he would do as president, but now that he's near he end of his term his evaluation is not very favourable.

And again once he's out of office why would his 100% focus to the cause be genuine, where was it when it was really needed?

Put it this way, after Obama leaves, between Hilary and Trump, which one of them will stand up for blacks? Obama is the metaphorical bridge between two travesties who will denounce blacks and commend white officers on a job well done. In the modern world it's unfathomable to see the amount of policies and changes he could have lead, but he decided to stand a t the crossroads and take the road without challenges.

Good luck to the States in these trying and difficult 8 years.
  • Bully_Pulpit
    Options

I have no clue what you talking about. Lmao. On the real though I truly don't know what you mean with your response. I wasn't trying to be disrespectful towards your comment I just thought it seemed obvious what he was going to do as soon as I heard about the press conference. ? , everything he has done since being in office, aside from taking out Bin Laden has been pretty predictable to me. He is doing what any politician would do

I didn't take offense. Just saying when BO self proclaimed "boy" Rahm Emanuel says some ? like "never let a good crisis go to waste", I start looking at ? with a side eye. When I see ? like brought to you by disney, like them motherfuckas is some beacon of light or they aint never put no racist ? out there my spidey senses start tingling. So no I don't think anyone can definitively say that they know the intended purpose of the townhall, ? the police probably made him do it, looking at how it went down.
  • _God_
    _God_ Members Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm ready for him to leave office so we can get back to hustlin