I would take great pride in supporting Black-Owned businesses, but here's the main problem....

Options
Mister B.
Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2016 in For The Grown & Sexy
What exactly kind of businesses do we really own? I mean, I have yet to see a black-owned simple corner store (aka Bodega) or a grocery store in Crown Heights. I would love to see a black-owned grocery store around here. They're ALL owned by Middle Eastern people.

Black folk around here own stores like:

Barber shops
Clubs
Sneaker/clothing stores
Restaurants
And one LQ store
Oh yeah: I go to a Panamanian laundry mat now

Now, don't get me wrong; that's great they we have ownership of something, but why can't we own the most practical things that are almost guaranteed to generate revenue and thus help keep the black dollar circulated in the community?

Think on it; if I'm down to $100 month and I need to go grocery shopping, how helpful is that pair of Js to me now? Do I really need to spend $20 to get in some wack-ass club, then $25 more for 2-3 drinks? Can I truly live off $8-12 meals twice a day at a ? chicken joint?

Where's the black grocers/produce stores? Where's the black banking institutions (which are few and far between, even in NYC)? Why hasn't this type of thinking been applied to people who set up businesses in urban neighborhoods?

Comments

• zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's hard to make money in certain kinds of businesses.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think the answers to these questions are obvious
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I was thinking about this.

And will the money that all us black folk have all together be enough for us? I mean if we keep the dollar circulated within our own community the pros work itself out but if we desire more bucks then outside help might have to be part of the discussion.
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options
    I think there are a number of small Caribbean groceries throughout Brooklyn if you're looking for that
  • fuc_i_look_like
    fuc_i_look_like Members Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    another "black ppl need to do better thread".
  • Mister B.
    Options

Not really. Everyone wants to say "buy black", I'm just asking how can we, when some of the most basic resources we need to function daily (fresh produce and other foods, personal products) aren't owned by black people?
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    These neighborhoods don't really belong to us though. Plenty black people just live there because that's all we can afford. Yes black people may own small businesses here and there but there is a reason you don't see giant food/grocery chains that are black owned. Same reason why you don't see a lot of black owned Fortune 500 companies.
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mister B. wrote: »

Not really. Everyone wants to say "buy black", I'm just asking how can we, when some of the most basic resources we need to function daily (fresh produce and other foods, personal products) aren't owned by black people?

Look man, there are numerous blk bizness directories on the internet.
    Granted u live in Brooklyn, that shouldn't even be a difficult task.

• Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    just do your research
  • Mister B.
    Options
    D0wn wrote: »

Look man, there are numerous blk bizness directories on the internet.
    Granted u live in Brooklyn, that shouldn't even be a difficult task.
    I don't doubt that. My point is saying it's not in my neighborhood. You honestly think I'm going to walk three avenues over just to get a loaf of bread or some seltzer water just cause the people that own it is black, when I have a grocery story literally right around the corner?

Like I said, the main problem here is availability. Black folk don't own stores that sell the essentials that are generally available to me at any moment's notice in my particular neighborhood. And THAT is/was the main issue.
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

These are the types of points that, if asked at he wrong time in the wrong thread, will get you labeled a ? lol Kudos to this thread

And tbh, Own a black business > "Support black business."

Bc if you own a legitimate well run business regardless of who you cater to, you are doing your part and youre gona be supported .

Too may black folk get tunnel vision and expect some Utopia of black businesses with a giant African flag and black power fist only selling to black customers, hence why we get barbershops and soul food spots as opposed to banks, grocery stores, etc

We need businesses that are owned by blacks, not black businesses
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options
    Like Water wrote: »
    Because they make it easy for people to immigrate here and start businesses. For 7 years you live here tax free. Think about your paycheck, and how much money you'd have if Uncle Sam wasn't such a ? ass ? . Now, multiply that by 7 years... We'd all own businesses in this ? if we had that luxury.

As it stands now, you have to make some decent ends and/or willing to make some huge sacrifices to even think about owning your own business. And even then, how feasible is it for the average joe that has a family to support?

Your best bet would probably be an online store of some sort. I'm in the process of doing that right now. Networking is good place to start as well.

receipts????
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    S2J wrote: »

These are the types of points that, if asked at he wrong time in the wrong thread, will get you labeled a ? lol Kudos to this thread

And tbh, Own a black business > "Support black business."

Bc if you own a legitimate well run business regardless of who you cater to, you are doing your part and youre gona be supported .

Too may black folk get tunnel vision and expect some Utopia of black businesses with a giant African flag and black power fist only selling to black customers, hence why we get barbershops and soul food spots as opposed to banks, grocery stores, etc

We need businesses that are owned by blacks, not black businesses

I don't think there is any truth to the bold. Black people get black businesses like barbershops and soul food because they know how to cut hair and cook or they know people who know how to cut hair and cook. People don't open up grocery stores because they don't know ? about opening a grocery store and depending on where they are the idea of competing with a big chain seems prohibitive.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Affordability, product quality and availability >>>>>>>>> race of ownership.

This is business, not politics.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    Affordability, product quality and availability >>>>>>>>> race of ownership.

This is business, not politics.

That's true if you're only talking about the success of the business. However, you're ignoring the fact that keeping money within the community is important for building and maintaining a community. I'm not saying we shouldn't demand those things as much as possible, but sometimes you do have to sacrifice for the greater good.
  • semi-auto-mato
    semi-auto-mato Members Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you search you can find. U might have travel a lil. I wanted to find a black bank. I find one 30 mins from me. I drove up one Saturday morning to open an account.
  • rapmusic
    rapmusic Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    People should've been buying black already.
  • Allah_U_Akbar
    Allah_U_Akbar Members Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Copper wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with the places you named...
    But blacks need to own spots that they frequent often ( weave spots)

He said, "weave spots".
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Maybe if we as a people invest more into education and had better education then we would see a diverse array of businesses. Maybe if we push and education/financial literacy agenda then we could get more engineers, doctors, lawyers, scientist,etc. As a result of being more educated then we can have legal practices, doctors offices, etc instead of barbershop and soul food restaurants.

As a black person i feel like we settle for too many blue collar jobs. We need some more white collar workers and scientific field workers. Education and financial literacy is the only way i see fixing the problem in our communities. I don't know if either is stressed enough in our homes or we set our expectations too low as a people. Graduating from high school should be a norm, not something that's seen as the end.
  • NeighborhoodNomad.
    NeighborhoodNomad. Members Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Mister B.

Let's start with what we've got. You have already identified the problem and the solution. Now here's How we apply that solution.

1.) Look at every single Black Owned Business you just mentioned.

2.) GO to each one of these businesses and speak to the owners and present to them your idea/business plan that all or the vast majority of Black Owned Business put their resources together and build the grocery stores and anything else the community needs. These businesses should be Built upon the Co-Op (where every investor is an owner and employee) or Non Profit (community service) business model.

3.) Build an organization where these resources will be pooled and delegated.

4.) Build

What we can't do any longer is make excuses (to convince ourselves or others) about why we won't do what our conscience tells us we need to be doing. Especially if that reason is because of what we think "? will or won't do" or what "? do and don't own". Let's work with what we've got. We all have a position to play. Play yours. I'll be playing Mine.