Asap Rocky " I didn't sign up to be a political activist, i talk about fashion and ? "

Options

Comments

• lordstanley
    lordstanley Members Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I ? with alot of his music but all evidence points towards him being a little ? in real life
  • KLICHE
    KLICHE Members Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kanye west's son, is asap rocky
  • 5onblackhandside
    5onblackhandside Members Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Top 10 WOAT rappers of all time,. Lil ? ass ?
  • A Talented One
    A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    See nothing wrong with what he said. I don't know why black folks feel like everyone who is rich or famous should be a social activist. I don't want 99% of these ? speaking for me. lol

If you cosigned this, you're a ? enemy of the black struggle.
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I don't fault any celeb for choosing not to stick their neck out for issues. But if you're gonna be one of those that don't, you need to completely ? about any and every issue. What I didn't like about his statement was how defensive he got about holding onto ignorance. Like ? why is you fighting to be oblivious?

On the other hand it hurts nothing to say/tweet/post "RIP philandro castile." If the activist life isn't for you, cool. But doing something as simple as that would at least let ppl, your fans who care about that ? and are affected by it, know you're in touch with what's going on.
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    T. Sanford wrote: »
    ferg>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>rocky

COOOOSIGN

Man I said this back when Ferg's album came out and ? went for my head LOLOL. Ferg is more versatile than Flacko and doesn't say ignorant ? ? like this nor is he jaded.

Been said the same thing a while back
    WEBPAGE_20160717_044110.jpg
  • T. Sanford
    T. Sanford Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Even bigger people like Lebron is speaking on it & a counterpart that's a bigger artist than him (J Cole) especially been vocal on it. I wouldn't even be surprised if Mackelmore spoke about it but you got this wack dude only worrying & ? about fashion smh. So fashion is more important?

Get this square dude tf up out of here
  • IceBergTaylor
    IceBergTaylor Members Posts: 19,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Its an artist responsibility to reflect the times. Get this "jiggy" permed ? the foh
  • natural born sinners
    natural born sinners Members Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The irony is he mentions only caring bout ? , money n his BOYS DYING. The irony is he don't realize his boys could easily be next if this ? goes unaddressed...also not everyone needs to b an activist the same way that all rappers don't need to be thugs..but the way he worded that ? was careless
  • black caesar
    black caesar Members Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Options
    TBA aka The Black Authority got at Chrisette Michelle about not speaking on black issues while be self serving. It was interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji6XO9wRj7A

Starts talking about her on 45:16

She even responds:

• BobOblah
    BobOblah Members Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    tompetrez3 wrote: »
    So basically he is hiding behind clothes and ? . If kanye west out of all people can be used as a human table feeding crags ribs to hangout with fashion designers just imagine the all the ? this sugary sweet sassy ladyboy has done. When he say he is in ? panties he is literally in ? panties underneath his clothes. Of course he wont speak on Black matters. Think about it, ASAP Rocky has wanted to be a white woman his whole career. He wears wine tasting dresses, he refer to himself as pretty jodie, he presses and braids his hair downwards and stringy, he is a platonic friend to Lana Del Rey, Blake Lively and rest of skinny pale broody white chicks. Only white girls and ? brag about living in Beverly Hills and Soho. I dont blame him. After them 3 soft ass white boys kicked his ass and he needed some hoes to call police to rescue him i guess i would be sort of shook too

Lmao someone tweet this to him
  • BobOblah
    Options
    But yea as others have said, he coulda just said "I'm a (superficial ass) rapper and I'm not qualified to speak on this." I guess. But he went way too far in his statement.
  • BobOblah
    Options
    If he ever has a run in with the cops they ain't gonna give af that he lives in Soho and wears designer skirts
  • za'kiss
    za'kiss Members Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Rappers are actually the most qualified to speak on these issues. They're artists with a voice and a public platform who actually come from the source of the struggle with the cops. This is why throughout history hip-hip has been a mirror reflecting the harsh conditions of society's underbelly that white America has far too often ignored.

I'm not just talking about "conscious rappers" like your Talib or Common (and, in many cases, conscious rappers actually come from middle class 'artschool' backgrounds rather than lower class backgrounds). I'm talking about the biggest "? " rappers in rap history - N.W.A., 2Pac, Biggie, Mobb Deep, Nas, Scarface, Wu-Tang Clan, and Jay-Z - these artists have spun powerful narratives about struggle in the hood and police brutality while offering scathing criticisms of the system. That's the rule not the exception. This is why "street credibility" is so valuable and one thing that's missing from the game these days.

As for A$AP Rocky, judging by his interviews and comments, he just seems confused about his role in the culture and what his art is about. But if you actually listen to his music, Rocky does get into some ? , despite the criticism that he's all just "swag" rap. Even when he's talking about his fallen friends, he's at least getting into some important issues about crime and consequence in the hood. You don't need to be politically informed and an articulate statesman like Killer Mike to talk about your own experience and engage relevant issues on your albums. Interviews don't matter to me, what matters is what you're saying on your records.

I just wish Rocky realized how much his own struggles in Harlem are connected to these larger issues more, which would allow him to step out of the microcosm of his own struggle, compare it to others, and contemplate larger effects. His track "Pharcyde" does this to some extent, but this is something we really get in someone like Vince Staples, for instance. He's largely talking about his own experience, but he reflects on what it means to the culture. The ability to speak to a generation is what marks the distinction between a good rapper and a great rapper. Rocky isn't there, but he might have the potential if he gets more serious with his pen.
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    TBA aka The Black Authority got at Chrisette Michelle about not speaking on black issues while be self serving. It was interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji6XO9wRj7A

Starts talking about her on 45:16

She even responds:

Ahhh he kinda pulled her card lol

Basically he said she said don't boycott target cuz i sell music there.. he also called her a white sex slave and bed ? which is a reach but i got his point
  • CracceR
    CracceR Members Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "Still don't give a ? , my ignorance is still a bliss"
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kai wrote: »
    No other culture or group of people looks to actively ? on their people like blacks in America do once they've made it. Like Italian celebs will ride hard for their country, never been to Italy in generations, don't speak the language, but call themselves just italian period. Same with Jewish people and all the other minorities. It's like ? think it'll really solidify and cement their come up if they ? all over their people on the way up. It's like a signal to whitey, like hey see, I'm not like these ? , I'll prove it, watch while I take a ? all over my people, culture, and history

It's truly disgusting and a clear sign of internalized racism. You clearly have no self love, pride, or dignity talking like that. Oh and any ? that ? this ? after this ain't ? either.
    Truth. However Italians and Jews immigrated here, we were kidnapped slaves, so the blacks who made it in America and ? on the cause exhibit House ? mentality whether they realize it or not. Rocky basically said "? the Field ? , im in here!"

If yall saw that OJ doc on Espn he explained himself selling out (during the civil rights movement) very very clearly.
  • T. Sanford
    T. Sanford Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm glad my forefathers (UGK etc) in rap spoke out about this shss. Imagine ? C saying "I'm not speaking about that, I talk about pimping & bishes". Mannnn we UGK would've especially been looking like :angry: wtf man
  • TayGettem
    TayGettem Members Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Stew wrote: »
    D0wn wrote: »
    Trillfate wrote: »
    That ? said "jiggy fashion" wtf :bawling:

And "Inspiration in drugs"

And This ? is supposed to be a grown ass man.

"new ? "

Rich ? ....u think rich and famous ? got the same problems regular ? do? I see why he say he don't relate cuz when he go out to eat he probably spend $1000 on a meal
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think ASAP Rocky's original statement in the OP is self explanatory why he shouldn't be a spokesman for the cause. He's not passionate about it and he's also not well spoken.

We should leave him alone and let somebody more qualified address the issues.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    ? need to stop putting faith in rappers to be "superheroes". A rapper is the LAST muthafucka I'd expect to give a ? about being socially conscious especially a rapper who's misogynistic, sells drugs to destroy communities and does it all for 'swag' SMMFH. People do it all the time and still get surprised when they open they mouth SMMFH.

Some rappers are very intelligent and well versed with social commentary but many aren't.

This is people in general but for some reason the mentality that because someone is good at entertaining people they should also offer social commentary is a stupid belief alot of people hold