Music does not move the people anymore, music is dead!

Options
felliwonda
felliwonda Members Posts: 416 ✭✭✭
Since I was a child I had a passion for music and sports and as I got older both music and sports started to make more and more sense making me fall in love with each even more. But of course each field has its legends. Sports many. But music is forever I believe. Bob Marley has been a musician who has marked the world with his music to me. I'm I the only one who feels like this moment is one of the many moments the legend had spoken of many years ago in songs like: "Get up Stand up", "I Shot The Sheriff", "We and dem", and War! Amongst the few classics from the legend and the wailers. I understand we are in different times but is people like Bob who have had an impact in the youth through their message to carry on! What are your thougts

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    Maybe it's the lizard people
  • felliwonda
    Options
    Maybe it's the lizard people

Talk to me.
  • felliwonda
    Options
    This is by design.

You know
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Its the musicians that we as a society prop up.

Their hollow caricatures.
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Can't blame it on the Record Companies anymore. The public pushing what they want to hear with Youtube and Streams.
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's coz music in general is weak. Labels are wack but the one thing they did was act as a filter.

With the Internet, it's up to you to find special artists. They're out there.

Beyonce gonna go down as the GOAT.
  • qawshun
    qawshun Members Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jabu_Rule wrote: »
    Can't blame it on the Record Companies anymore. The public pushing what they want to hear with Youtube and Streams.

I disagree, the record companies only put money behind the ignorant music imo. Music with substance gets shelved or no promo.
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nothing stays the same.
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Options
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • felliwonda
    Options
    qawshun wrote: »

I disagree, the record companies only put money behind the ignorant music imo. Music with substance gets shelved or no promo.

There's too much good music out there still to believe it gets shelved. It gets trashed cause is not what they wanna hear you yyyeaaar
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    qawshun wrote: »

The Record companies these days put money behind whoever got the most views. These people blow up on Youtube before the companies ever hear about them.
  • 5onblackhandside
    5onblackhandside Members Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    U gotta go find good music, cuz dat ? obscure as ?
  • white sympathizer
    white sympathizer Members Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • felliwonda
    Options
    Me personally, I dont look for musicians to speak on whats goin on in the world like that....Id rather look for that info in a book, on the net, internet radio shows, documentaries etc.

If they do touch on certain topics coo....if they dont Im not tripping.

Same with athletes...

They're ? entertainers.....................

Makes sense that's true. I mean I don't look for artist or athletes to be activists all the time but I just feel like this generation has less than past generations you know Jim brown, tupac,Tommie smith,John Carlos, Michael Jackson, Roberto Clemente just to name a few...

Just imagine if a dude like Lebron for instance or a musician like idk John Mayer, Lionel messi for example...just imagine the magnitude of a movement one of these individuals can create by speaking clearly out for example against injustice per say... You know how many people follow these guys it would be serious. I guess in today's world these guys are told especifically to stay quiet and away from politics to be honest maybe that's one of the reasons we don't see that anymore
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Me personally, I dont look for musicians to speak on whats goin on in the world like that....Id rather look for that info in a book, on the net, internet radio shows, documentaries etc.

If they do touch on certain topics coo....if they dont Im not tripping.

Same with athletes...

They're ? entertainers.....................

Such a remedial perspective.

As if, an Athlete, Musician, Dr. or trash man cannot don different hats and be more then what they do to put food on the table.
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I agree. Music that brings people together, and sheds light on social issues has been heavily censored. While it's here it's not always right there unless you have been rocking with artists who are willing to tackle the tough issues. With the advent of streaming tech that monitors listening trends it's not difficult to find old and new artists who make music for the awake. If, you have playlists that include artists like, Bilal, Mos Def, Talib, Badu, etc you can easily find artists, like Lianne Lahavas, esparanza spalding, and Robert Glasper.
  • T. Sanford
    T. Sanford Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Options
    The 70s artists made the realest music imo. I was bumping Stevie Wonder's Innervisions album yesterday & listening to Living For The City. You can feel the oppression that the family endured in that song. 43 years later & that song still relevant today
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    Arya Tsaddiq Members Posts: 15,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You most certainly caan blame the labels. They have the money, and ultimately control the "destiny" of the artists they sign. They had the power to turn hip hop into what it is today. This was obviously when you look at the shift of the culture and content that was once common with groups like public enemy, boogie down productions, Old Righteous Teachers, Arrrsted Development and groups like that. Their music had substance and could be played at parties and everyone could relate in some ways. But look at what we are left with.....

I dont care if this is an unpopular opinion, but NWA was the beginning of the end for main stream appeal for uplifting hip hop. And it was pushed by the label. Those labels and the radio executives were in cahootes. Music is hypnotic, and peopls in powerful positions understand it's power. You can look back to Africa and see how drums where used in ceremonal events and as a means of communication and evocation.

R&B and has suffered the same fate and NEW neo soul artists get catagorized as "old school" lol.....

Its obvious that music is being used as a type of "brainwashing".
  • SolemnSauce
    SolemnSauce Members Posts: 15,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think music was the internet of the past. Music told you about others around America and the world. People connected through music, now people connect through internet.

So the nuisance of music isn't there anymore. If video killed the radio star. Internet killed the video star. Which in turn killed the music star.
  • Melqart
    Melqart Guests, Members Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You most certainly caan blame the labels. They have the money, and ultimately control the "destiny" of the artists they sign. They had the power to turn hip hop into what it is today. This was obviously when you look at the shift of the culture and content that was once common with groups like public enemy, boogie down productions, Old Righteous Teachers, Arrrsted Development and groups like that. Their music had substance and could be played at parties and everyone could relate in some ways. But look at what we are left with.....

I dont care if this is an unpopular opinion, but NWA was the beginning of the end for main stream appeal for uplifting hip hop. And it was pushed by the label.
    Those labels and the radio executives were in cahootes. Music is hypnotic, and peopls in powerful positions understand it's power. You can look back to Africa and see how drums where used in ceremonal events and as a means of communication and evocation.

R&B and has suffered the same fate and NEW neo soul artists get catagorized as "old school" lol.....

Its obvious that music is being used as a type of "brainwashing".

This aint unpopular at all bruh lol... and yea despite growing up in that culture loving nwa i absolutely agree with this sentiment. Hiphop with integrity took a major hit when they blew up and had to go underground
  • felliwonda
    Options
    T. Sanford wrote: »
    The 70s artists made the realest music imo. I was bumping Stevie Wonder's Innervisions album yesterday & listening to Living For The City. You can feel the oppression that the family endured in that song. 43 years later & that song still relevant today

This is a great example right there I can't lie I'm not familiar with Stevies music like that but you know he had some good hits and I know for a fact he had music that contributed a lot in positive ways.

So yeah this here in a nutshell.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Depends on what you mean by move cause I see people like everyday on the train.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgNLvBRnm9E
  • rapmusic
    rapmusic Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    People are too busy making music exclusively for their streaming services and ? . Even if somebody made a song it'll be exclusively on tidal