What's the point of an engagement ring?

Options
usmarin3
usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2010 in For The Grown & Sexy
It seems like one expensive ass i promise i'm gonna marry you gift imo. Why not just say, i'm gonna marry you and then give her the wedding ring the day at the nuptials. I don't see the point of wasting ? money, i would much rather put that cash towards a downpayment of our house.

Comments

• ricanprince
    ricanprince Members Posts: 1,869 ✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit, whats jacked up is that the woman ends up with 2 rings and the guy ends up with 1 yet they are suppose to be equal. I smh at guys who buy their chick a promise ring, then an engagement ring and then a wedding ring
  • Dick Shitman
    Dick Shitman Members Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    cant show a promise off to your friends
  • kat2180
    kat2180 Members Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    It's supposed to be a token of your promise to her plus it's to show she's spoken for until ya'll actually wed.
  • ricanprince
    ricanprince Members Posts: 1,869 ✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    kat2180 wrote: »
    It's supposed to be a token of your promise to her plus it's to show she's spoken for until ya'll actually wed.

so why is it that a woman once engaged doesnt go ahead and buy the man a ring to show that he is spoken for
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options

Well wouldn't a sorry i have a man be just as good, plus how many ? even pay attention to a chicks fingers?
  • bdbdbd
    bdbdbd Members Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    It seems like one expensive ass i promise i'm gonna marry you gift imo. Why not just say, i'm gonna marry you and then give her the wedding ring the day at the nuptials. I don't see the point of wasting ? money, i would much rather put that cash towards a downpayment of our house.

i know man.....that engagement ring ? is weak....especially ? after they got that wedding ring most girls dont even wear the expensive wedding ring....shiiii u aint gna wear it u better be ready to ? that diamond and get us some money.
    Well wouldn't a sorry i have a man be just as good, plus how many ? even pay attention to a chicks fingers?
    now im older, im messing with older women, which means there is a chance these older women might be married/engaged.....so yes their finger is one of the first things i check for......u see a ring that elimates the longness of getting to know them and find out later on down the line (e.g. 10mins lata) that shes spoken for.....tho sumtimes if im in the right mood, seeing that ring poses a challenge for me....thus making the chase a lil more interesting
  • Chef_Taylor
    Chef_Taylor Members Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options

A wedding ring don't mean ? nowadays...
  • kat2180
    edited July 2010
    Options
    doubletee wrote: »
    A wedding ring don't mean ? nowadays...

I'm just saying what it's supposed to represent.

I don't agree with you fully though. Some people do take their vows and that ring seriously.
  • 1of1
    1of1 Members Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    ? symbolism, basically...based on tradition.
  • UPTOWN
    UPTOWN Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 13,009 Regulator
    edited July 2010
    Options

well first off you mixing logic (ur thoughts) with irrational thinking (getting married)

scientists have fused these two principles together and applied for work at national jewelry chains. they now have marriage packages that include the engagement rings and the wedding rings .... and the service that melts them together after the ceremony
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    i'm pretty engaged.. wedding date set n everything... and i haven't even started saving up for an engagement ring...

but, real talk...real life is expensive...

she'll get a beautiful extremely expensive engagement ring most likely years after we're married
  • UPTOWN
    UPTOWN Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 13,009 Regulator
    edited July 2010
    Options
    I'm just saying what it's supposed to represent.

I don't agree with you fully though. Some people do take their vows and that ring seriously.

well if they would worry about what they are bringing into/contributing to the relationship instead of thinking about rings .. then marriage would work
  • kat2180
    edited July 2010
    Options
    dusouljah wrote: »
    i'm pretty engaged.. wedding date set n everything... and i haven't even started saving up for an engagement ring...

but, real talk...real life is expensive...

she'll get a beautiful extremely expensive engagement ring most likely years after we're married

Damn..nothing for her finger? Not even a CZ?
  • Dupac
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Damn..nothing for her finger? Not even a CZ?

real life is expensive....

there's so many things that both of us need to focus all of our collective attention and finances on right now to build our family, outside of something to look nice on her finger to say...

"oooo i'm engaged"

i mean i would like to get her a ring, but it's just not realistic right now....? ain't caking like that, i gotta future to maintain
  • J-GUTTA
    J-GUTTA Members Posts: 9,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options

I look all the time. I guess because I do respect a marriage. @ Du so what you do the scene from Knocked Up were he gets down on one knee with an empty box?
  • Dupac
    edited July 2010
    Options
    J-GUTTA wrote: »
    I look all the time. I guess because I do respect a marriage. @ Du so what you do the scene from Knocked Up were he gets down on one knee with an empty box?

naw i sent a face book engagement request for our relationship status
  • J-GUTTA
    J-GUTTA Members Posts: 9,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    dusouljah wrote: »
    naw i sent a face book engagement request for our relationship status

I guess since I'm the last person in the world without facebook, but are you serious? Wait it's Du yous ? 'n.............
  • texican11
    texican11 Members Posts: 447
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Because women like to show off...and diss other females...

Chick with an engagement ring: (In her mind)

"Look, ? this ? thinks Im good enough to be made into an honest women...

You on the other hand is just a jumpoff/ Bitter Single mother/ ? buddy...

So how about them apples???"
  • fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    It means "I want to get married, not now though, we have to plan and ? .".
  • Dupac
    edited July 2010
    Options
    J-GUTTA wrote: »
    I guess since I'm the last person in the world without facebook, but are you serious? Wait it's Du yous ? 'n.............

lmao.....

i can't help it but to geek, it's in my nature...

but the reality of it, we were all ready to just completely jump over the entire engagement phase and just go directly to the courthouse... but after a lotta talk and serious counsel we decided to just take things slowly, and plan on the best possible future for us together as we can......
    so while a wedding is definitely on both of our agendas..... i mean we even picked a date n everything for next summer....we're still planning out things, setting small goals and large goals, and working towards doing everything the right way.....

now the face book thing is funny, cuz while our status on facebook does say engaged....that's actually just for us... i wanted her to wait until i can save up to get a ring to make an "official announcement" about our engagement, but the cat's already out of the bag....EVERYONE knows what the deal is....so i mean i joke with ppl all the time about the face book status being her ring, but in all reality, i still want to get her a nice ring....

even if it has to come after the actual date where we say I do....

there's so much going on right now that's keeping me from putting that much energy into a ring....

we've been doing soooo much ? this summer, cuz i thnk we both know this might be the last free summer to get out n do ? with n kids n what not..

(i'm blabbering cuz i'm drinking)...

long sstory short... with the right person and the right plan, rings aren't as important as motives......

she'll get her ring, even if it's after we're married..but for the most part the engagement wasn't a question...it was a mutual agreement...we doing this ?
  • Wishbone Jones
    Wishbone Jones Members Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    give her a ring around the eye pawowwwwwwwwww
  • aka_OG
    aka_OG Members Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They get 2 rings thats ? in itself.
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The point is big business.

Some clever ? came along and told all these simps that giving her an engagement ring means "something".

Probably one of the worlds biggest scams.
  • sully
    sully Members, Writer Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My boy got married a few months ago, bought the girl a $10,000 VVS cut diamond wedding ring from Tiffany's.

He told her she could ask him for anything she wanted him to buy from then till forever, but not jewellery. Said that was it.

I was proud of him that day. lol