• water ur seeds
    water ur seeds Members Posts: 17,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Options
  • Antwuan89
    Antwuan89 Members Posts: 936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Notorious B.I.G. - Ready to Die

The Notorious B.I.G. Is The Greatest MC Of All Time.
  • Antwuan89
    Options
    bck145 wrote: »
    Biggie the most overrated ever.....jayz is a much better rapper

That's completely false, the only reason you're saying that is because you're a Tupac fan.

• usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Two different albums, I can really compare them as they are both great for different reasons...

You cant say Jays more lyrical just because his rhymes were more intricate with different meanings and double/triple entendre etc that isnt for me the ONLY way to be lyrical... For instance, Biggie's story telling is clearer, his flow was consistently better, so in that department Biggie is morel lyrical...

Both are classics...

Storytelling and flow have nothing to do with lyricism. Lyricism is how you bend and put together words.
  • gman82
    gman82 Members Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Reasonable doubt
  • Mr 202
    Mr 202 Members Posts: 571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Antwuan89 wrote: »
    The Notorious B.I.G. - Ready to Die

The Notorious B.I.G. Is The Greatest MC Of All Time.

Salute Bro......I don't know what these ? are smoking. Biggie was lyrical but so gifted that he made it look so easy.
    With Biggie even when you don't understand his lyrics You will still feel connected to the line or song......."It's gonna be a lotta slow singing and flower bringing if my burglar alarm starts ringing" and y'all say The Goat wasn't lyrical??

Ready to Die ? and ILLMATIC and reasonable doubt combined if y'all doubt me ask the west coast what rap about took their reign and brought it back to East

• Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So now biggie wasnt lyrical? wtf is wrong with you ? ?
  • Antwuan89
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    Two different albums, I can really compare them as they are both great for different reasons...

You cant say Jays more lyrical just because his rhymes were more intricate with different meanings and double/triple entendre etc that isnt for me the ONLY way to be lyrical... For instance, Biggie's story telling is clearer, his flow was consistently better, so in that department Biggie is morel lyrical...

Both are classics...

Storytelling and flow have nothing to do with lyricism. Lyricism is how you bend and put together words.

Biggie was great at Storytelling, Flow, & Lyricism. Seriously Biggie knew how to put his words together and ride the beat.
  • water ur seeds
    Options

Both are classics...

Storytelling and flow have nothing to do with lyricism.

Lyricism is how you bend and put together words.

@ the first bold IMO it does... Lyrical for me is ALSO using your words, your voice, your LYRICS to paint pictures = telling stories...

@ your second bold... Surely that is all part of storytelling??? Bending words to EMPHASISE a situation or part of a story and putting words together to paint that picture I was talking about...

Like I said, IMO theres more then one layer to being lyrical...

• Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Storytelling has everything to do with lyricism... Listen, if you voted for Jay that's fine, you're entitled to your opinion but don't try to change up ? just so your vote would work. Thats the first time I've ever heard someone say that ?
  • whoseworldisthis
    whoseworldisthis Members Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jay Z bit whole verses from Biggie... whole verses! And you want to put Jigga lyrically ahead of B.I.G. SMH!

I couldn't believe the first time I heard "I Just Want To Love U" by Jay Z...
  • usmarin3
    Options
    If storytelling is lyricism then ya'll are saying Too Short is a great lyricist?
  • usmarin3
    Options
    Jay Z bit whole verses from Biggie... whole verses! And you want to put Jigga lyrically ahead of B.I.G. SMH!

learn the difference between a verse and a bar.
  • water ur seeds
    edited July 2016
    Options
    If storytelling is lyricism then ya'll are saying Too Short is a great lyricist?

To a degree, but I was mainly trying to refer to the way BIG delivered a story...
  • whoseworldisthis
    Options

learn the difference between a verse and a bar.

? outta here... trying to school me when Jigga's one of the biggest biters in the game
  • whoseworldisthis
    Options
    and don't even get me started how Jay Z jacked Young Chris' whole flow on some of his newer albums...

it is as bad as Desiigner jackin' Future's flow
  • water ur seeds
    Options

I dont mind Jay's 'bitting', it is kind of tilting his cap to the legends or the original tune... But its annoying when people and/or the younger generation dont know of the original...

I skipped through the video, but I think they missed out some Ice T and LL Cool J rhymes too??? And Im sure years ago I noticed an Eric Sermon lyric, but I cant think which one now...

Still Jay is one of the GOATS and Im sure most rappers have 'borrowed' or 'tilted their cap' to another rappers tune... But Jay does seemed to have done it alot haha
  • achewon87
    achewon87 Members Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "...Excuse me, flows just grow through me
    Like trees to branches, cliffs to avalanches
    It's the praying mantis, deep like the mind of Farrakhan
    A ? rap phenomenon..."
  • whoseworldisthis
    Options

I dont mind Jay's 'bitting', it is kind of tilting his cap to the legends or the original tune... But its annoying when people and/or the younger generation dont know of the original...

I skipped through the video, but I think they missed out some Ice T and LL Cool J rhymes too??? And Im sure years ago I noticed an Eric Sermon lyric, but I cant think which one now...

Still Jay is one of the GOATS and Im sure most rappers have 'borrowed' or 'tilted their cap' to another rappers tune... But Jay does seemed to have done it alot haha

This is just ONE of the Jay Z bitin' videos... there used to be 3 or 4 more of them on youtube around the time Camron and Jigga were beefin'

Jay Z is one of the greats, no doubt... but he "borrows" a lot of other peoples stuff and passes it off as his own

Mainstream listeners didn't know the "when the Remy's in the system" rhyme scheme was Biggie's when he rhymed that, it wasn't even from a commerically released song... same with the "hard ? and bubblegum" line which was off of a Big L underground freestyle

I've heard other rappers do this but it is usually something like when Phife Dawg said "Refuse to compete with BS competition...Your name ain't Special Ed so won't you seckle with the mission"... he borrows a line and shouts out the originator at the same time
  • achewon87
    achewon87 Members Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Notorious B.I.G. - Unbelievable
    https://youtu.be/es-B_PCFyDc
  • whoseworldisthis
    Options
    Correction: I forgot Diddy re-used Biggie's "Remy verse" on Life After Death... still, the song "The World is Filled" wasn't exactly a number one smash like some of the other tracks on that double CD

that B.I.G. song wasn't even on some versions of Life After Death...
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options

You can tell a story AND be lyrical at the same time.
  • d1al_t0ne
    d1al_t0ne Members Posts: 270 ✭✭
    Options
    TS needs to define "lyricism".

I ? heavy with RD and Jay but damn, go listen that first first of Ready To Die and tell me Big wasn't more lyrical.

"
    As I grab the glock, put it to your headpiece
    One in the chamber, the safety is off release
    Straight at your dome homes, I wanna see cabbage
    Biggie Smalls the savage, doin your brain cells much damage
    Teflon is the material for the imperial
    mic ripper girl stripper the Henny sipper
    I drop lyrics off and on like a lightswitch
    Quick to grab the right ? and make her drive
    the Q-45, glocks and tecs are expected when I wreck ?
    Respect is collected, so check it
    I got techniques drippin out my ?
    Sleep on my stomach so I don't ? up my sheets, huh
    My ? is deep, deeper than my grave G
    I'm ready to die and nobody can save me
    ? the world, ? my moms and my girl
    My life is played out like a jheri curl, I'm ready to die"
  • Ether44mag
    Ether44mag Members Posts: 890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Options
    To me RD is slightly more lyrical cause its more intricate.RTD is more flow driven and in your face lyricism a la Ice cube

Reasonable doubt is the Movie FRESH ,Ready To Die is New Jack City , Both classics but you gotta use your brain more when listening to Reasonable doubt