https://youtu.be/6UDNxvEsLtE

https://youtu.be/FvJfsIpl16g

https://youtu.be/kC7VgnsVAm8

Or at least top 15

Comments

• And_So_It_Burns
    And_So_It_Burns Members Posts: 921 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's a good album. By no means is it a top 15 album. There were even a few albums better than the 18th letter the year it dropped
  • KamPushMe
    KamPushMe Members Posts: 7,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's a good album. By no means is it a top 15 album. There were even a few albums better than the 18th letter the year it dropped

Yeah only like 4 or 5
  • KamPushMe
    Options
    Shine permanently only my mind's concerning me
    Fire burns in me eternally time's eternity
    Followers turn on me they'll be in a mental infirmary
    Determinedly advance technology better than Germany
    Since the first days you know of, till the last days is over
    I was always the flow-er, I made waves for Noah
    From a compound, to the anatomy, to the breakdown of a atom
    Some of my rap patterns, still surround Saturn
    From the ancient Hieroglyphics, to graffiti painted pictures
    I study I know the scriptures but nowadays ain't it vicious

Ra can't be ? with!!
  • tompetrez3
    tompetrez3 Members Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sleeper album of 97. Underrated lyrical performance and hard hitting production. IMO his return did not get the fanfare it should of recieved. He came back right at the height of shiny suit era. Universal was the worst label a rapper could sign to at the time (pre CMR) so not only was the album poorly promoted (cheesy return video smh) but it was initally expensive because it was packaged as a double album with his greatest hits. It was $31.99 at my local record spot on CD and sat until 1998 when single CD versions of 18th letter started coming in.
  • KamPushMe
    Options
    No respect for rakim Allah
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Good album but thats it.
  • Preach2Teach
    Preach2Teach Members Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I need to give it another listen not too familiar with that album, but Rakim is the man.
  • lethal5
    lethal5 Members Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    KamPushMe wrote: »
    ? has to be considered a top 10 album of AT

https://youtu.be/6UDNxvEsLtE

https://youtu.be/FvJfsIpl16g

https://youtu.be/kC7VgnsVAm8

Or at least top 15

How u not post New York, I still give the that song major play
  • KamPushMe
    Options
    Is it the production? The singles? The concept? Cause I know damn well it ain't the lyrics. Why can't this be considered a top 15 album? Someone inform me.
  • lordstanley
    lordstanley Members Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? is fire and a classic, that's facts
  • Weazel
    Weazel Members Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    18th letter?, I knew Rakim before
    But ? , when this album dropped
    I became even a bigger fan of Rakim

He wasn't "this oldschool legend" anymore
    In my book, he dropped a current classic that day

Great album
  • THE_R_
    THE_R_ Members Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I DUG THIS ALBUM...
    RA DID A GOOD JOB MODERNIZING HIS STYLE W/ THIS ONE...
  • Muhannad
    Muhannad Members Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    TS must be young. The 18th letter was aiight but it wasn't well received when it dropped. Heads expected more. 3.5 or 4 mic album.
  • KamPushMe
    Options
    Muhannad wrote: »
    TS must be young. The 18th letter was aiight but it wasn't well received when it dropped. Heads expected more. 3.5 or 4 mic album.
    It's still a dope ass album. His lyrics are phenomenal
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    tompetrez3 wrote: »
    Sleeper album of 97. Underrated lyrical performance and hard hitting production. IMO his return did not get the fanfare it should of recieved. He came back right at the height of shiny suit era. Universal was the worst label a rapper could sign to at the time (pre CMR) so not only was the album poorly promoted (cheesy return video smh) but it was initally expensive because it was packaged as a double album with his greatest hits. It was $31.99 at my local record spot on CD and sat until 1998 when single CD versions of 18th letter started coming in.

Cosign.

I remember the day it dropped. I copped it. In fact, I was living in New York and there was a store called Harlem Music Hut that released it a few days before it dropped.

Anyway, it was a solid album and he had DJ Premiere, Clark Kent and a few other well known producers at the time but for some reason he didn't hire Puff Daddy to lace him with 2 or 3 tracks. If he had some beats by Puffy (or D Dot) with easy to recognize samples that girls liked it would have been a 5 mic classic. Unfortunately he was aiming for ? Hip Hop heads and quite frankly, Mos Def and Talib Kweli did it better.

He needed some Club Bangers and thats what Puffy was doing at the time. He was lacing people with hits.

Still a solid album though.
  • Ether44mag
    Ether44mag Members Posts: 890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    its a very good album ,underrated even ...but top 10 ?? come on man the beats were too weak to even be top 25 but the lyrics are A1 as usual for RA
  • bck145
    bck145 Members Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    album was a snoozefest
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    Lets put it like this; Life After Death and Wu Tang Forever came out first
  • KamPushMe
    Options
    bck145 wrote: »
    album was a snoozefest

Flagged
  • KamPushMe
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    Lets put it like this; Life After Death and Wu Tang Forever came out first

Like I said earlier, only 4 or 5 are legitimately better than this that came out that year.
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    Album would have been 5 mics with a beat from RZA and a beat from Puffy.
  • grYmes
    grYmes Members Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    At the time it was disappointing only because of Rakims track record up to that point. Still a solid album, but I don't rank it up there with his earlier albums personally.
  • bck145
    bck145 Members Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    KamPushMe wrote: »
    bck145 wrote: »
    album was a snoozefest

Flagged

Cool story bro
  • Muhannad
    Muhannad Members Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    tompetrez3 wrote: »

Cosign.

I remember the day it dropped. I copped it. In fact, I was living in New York and there was a store called Harlem Music Hut that released it a few days before it dropped.

Anyway, it was a solid album and he had DJ Premiere, Clark Kent and a few other well known producers at the time but for some reason he didn't hire Puff Daddy to lace him with 2 or 3 tracks. If he had some beats by Puffy (or D Dot) with easy to recognize samples that girls liked it would have been a 5 mic classic. Unfortunately he was aiming for ? Hip Hop heads and quite frankly, Mos Def and Talib Kweli did it better.

He needed some Club Bangers and thats what Puffy was doing at the time. He was lacing people with hits.

Still a solid album though.
    He had to to cater to his core fanbase. This album was heavily anticipated. If he would've jumped on a jiggy beat, heads would've complained he sold out. That album would've been received even worse. "Guess who's back" did moderately well.
  • za'kiss
    za'kiss Members Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I consider it a classic. Not a top 10 or even top 20 album, but enough to solidfy Rakim in my top 5 MCs.