Woman Dead, Child Injured After Armed Standoff With Police

Options
1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
BALTIMORE COUNTY, Md. (WJZ) — A Baltimore County woman armed with a shotgun was fatally shot by officers following an hours-long standoff at a Randallstown apartment complex on Monday and a 5-year-old boy with her was hospitalized with a gunshot wound, authorities said.

Paramedics rushed the child to the hospital for treatment of non-life threatening injuries to the extremities, according to Baltimore County Police. It’s not yet clear whether the child was shot by police or Gaines.

Police said the woman, identified as 23-year-old Korryn Shandawn Gaines, repeatedly threatened to ? officers during the standoff, which was sparked when police went to the apartment complex to serve Gaines and a man with arrest warrants about 9:20 a.m.

When three officers knocked on the door of the apartment, located in the unit block of Sulky Court, no one answered, police said in a news release. Minutes later, after overhearing the voices of a man and woman and a child’s cries coming from inside, they entered the apartment using a key obtained from the landlord.

After going inside, an officer noticed Gaines sitting on the floor with a gun pointed at him and all three officers retreated to the hallway outside, and then called for backup, according to police.

Police said the male suspect, who was wanted for assault, was captured after trying to make a run for it with a 1-year-old boy, one of two children who had been inside. Gaines remained inside with the 5-year-old child as police evacuated neighboring apartments.

During the standoff, officers tried coaxing Gaines into surrendering, but she refused and instead pointed the gun at officers multiple times, police said. Negotiations broke down about 3 p.m. when Gaines allegedly pointed the gun directly at an officer and warned him, “If you don’t leave, I’m going to ? you.”

That’s when one of the officers opened fire, according to police. Gaines, who returned fire with two shots, was struck multiple times and pronounced dead at the scene.

None of the officers was shot.

The officers involved in the shooting have been placed on paid administrative leave, which is routine for all police-involved shootings, amid an ongoing investigation. Their names have not yet been released.

Police said it’s not yet clear whether any of the officers was wearing a body camera.

Gaines had been wanted on a bench warrant for “failure to appear,” a citation issued after she skipped a court date for a list of misdemeanor charges — including disorderly conduct and resisting arrest — related to a traffic stop last March, police said.

We will provide further information as it becomes available.

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2016/0...county-police/

Comments

• StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
  • IgboNegro
    IgboNegro Members Posts: 818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Oh ? my aunt used to live there
  • StoneColdMikey
    Options
    Suprised they waited hours to shoot her
  • StoneColdMikey
    Options
    I don't think that's her
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't think that's her

It's her bruh. Its from her social media account before they deleted it.
  • StoneColdMikey
    Options
    D0wn wrote: »
    I don't think that's her

Smh
  • D0wn
    Options
    I don't think that's her

Smh

I heard she lived stream what happened , but they took her Facebook account down.
  • D0wn
    Options
    Departments are going to have to move away from this tactical model to more service oriented policing when dealing with people in need. Black people dealing with police is precarious in itself, but this woman was particularly vulnerable. It bothers me that there has been no effort made from anyone to address how police deal with communities that have mental health needs. They are the MOST vulnerable and the LEAST protected in police encounters. I watched maybe 30 seconds of this woman's video with her son. I could reserve judgement but it's pretty clear to me that this is a woman whose mental state had been compromised.

Everyone failed this woman and I hope her family takes it to the very top. Every major sector of the public is legally required to provide accommodations to people with mental illnesses, with the exception of the police. That blows my mind. I hope her family takes this so far because nobody deserves to die because they're sick. It's outrageous how cops treat mentals. They deserve the utmost care in police encounters, even those who are armed and even those who are potentially dangerous.

Post the video.
  • obnoxiouslyfresh
    obnoxiouslyfresh Members Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Departments are going to have to move away from this tactical model to more service oriented policing when dealing with people in need. Black people dealing with police is precarious in itself, but this woman was particularly vulnerable. It bothers me that there has been no effort made from anyone to address how police deal with communities that have mental health needs. They are the MOST vulnerable and the LEAST protected in police encounters. I watched maybe 30 seconds of this woman's video with her son. I could reserve judgement but it's pretty clear to me that this is a woman whose mental state had been compromised.

Everyone failed this woman and I hope her family takes it to the very top. Every major sector of the public is legally required to provide accommodations to people with mental illnesses, with the exception of the police. That blows my mind. I hope her family takes this so far because nobody deserves to die because they're sick. It's outrageous how cops treat mentals. They deserve the utmost care in police encounters, even those who are armed and even those who are potentially dangerous.

1St off, how can u diagnose somebody off of a 30 second clip???

2. If she actually had mental illness..... its irrelevant. It sounds like a cop out for the pigs. Ive seen cops disarm, grown burly white men who were firing at them. Ive seen cops have stand off with millitias, that lasted for days, and in the end, no one was killed.... mental illness is irrelevant in this case, and if anything, it excuses the cops. These cops were blood thirsty and they wanted to ? .

I didn't diagnose anyone. I gave an opinion based on observation and for those of us who have worked with people with psychiatric needs, it is much easier to recognize. I do not know this lady or her situation. Again this is my opinion, and if you need a qualifier... Based on the video that I saw, if I had to bet my paycheck on it, I would strongly wager that this is a woman whose mental state was compromised.

@ the bolded

I'm not sure how you arrived there. Nothing in my post was a cop-out for her being killed. The only way that you could arrive at that conclusion, of course, is if you somehow feel that mentally ill people deserve to be shot during police encounters, and that's a thought you'll have to resolve with yourself. In fact, that's what you alluded to with
    mental illness is irrelevant in this case, and if anything, it excuses the cops.

No sweetheart, it does NOT absolve or excuse the cops. That is a problem with policing and society in general. People actually buy into the notion that if someone is crazy, that warrants their mistreatment. You do not get to ? people because they are sick. What I did say was that people with mental health needs are MORE deserving of restraint, MORE deserving of the utmost care, and MORE deserving of accommodations when they encounter police, EVEN if they are potentially dangerous.
  • mrrealone
    mrrealone Members Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I guess the body cams became dislodged too huh??

http://www.inquisitr.com/3374115/korryn-gaines-facebook-instagram-videos-new-twitter-video-of-23-year-old-and-son-seeks-justiceforkorryn/

This link got parts of the vid. RIP to her. They getting better at taking down accounts as soon as they go live. FB may have to get banned or someone may have to figure out a way to keep these vids up after these shootings and IG right there w/ em....
  • King_Me
    King_Me Members Posts: 663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    She posted vids on her IG.

• northside7
    northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    King_Me wrote: »
    She posted vids on her IG.

Some sad ? right there.
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Unless there is more to this story that has not come out yet this idiot basically caused her own death
  • semi-auto-mato
    semi-auto-mato Members Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    wild story. they are saying that the police deleted her social media accounts before the shooting. I guess they have found their way around facebook live and all that. its back to being shot and the only story about the shooting will be their shooting.
  • 1CK1S
    1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Ghostdenithegawd
    Ghostdenithegawd Members Posts: 16,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This some funny ?