BLM Co-Founder Alicia Garza: "The Clintons use black people for votes and photo ops" [INTERVIEW]

Options
2»

Comments

• SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When it comes to Civil Rights, it’s not about what politicians say, but what legislation they sponsor or co-sponsor, and how they vote. Talk is cheap, and rumor and innuendo fly in politics. We know what her husband’s were, but she shouldn’t have to answer for or take credit for his actions. Let’s focus on Hillary Clinton and see what she has done in the arena of civil rights.

Voter ID

While in the Senate, Hillary Clinton introduced the Count Every Vote Act of 2005 to combat a “history of intimidation.” Fighting against voter ID laws, Clinton said that:

“By trying to require not just photo identification but proof of citizenship — proof that thousands of American citizens can’t produce through no fault of their own — cynical Republican lawmakers are trying to build new walls between hundreds of thousands of eligible senior, minority, and low-income Americans and their civil right to choose their own leaders. Republicans claim that these requirements are needed to prevent fraud, but the reality is that they do little more than disenfranchise eligible voters.”

Equality Under The Law

Hillary Clinton stood with Cecelia Marshall, Thurgood Marshall’s widow, alongside former Detroit Mayor Dennis Archer at his swearing in as the first African-American President of the American Bar Association in its 124-year history – 60 years after they lifted a ban on black members. Her support and affiliation with the Legal Services Corporation including her board chairmanship of that organization in the early 1970s reaffirmed a longstanding commitment to support low-income communities and people of color in the courtroom and at the highest levels of legal advocacy.

Hillary co-sponsored a bill recognizing Juneteenth as the historical end of slavery. The resolution recognized the historical significance of Juneteenth Independence Day and expressed that history should be regarded as a means for understanding the past and solving the challenges of the future. Recognizing the historical significance to the nation, and supporting the continued celebration of Juneteenth Independence Day (June 19, 1865, the day Union soldiers arrived in Galveston, Texas, with news that the Civil War had ended and that the enslaved African Americans were free), Congress passed it declaring the celebration of the end of slavery is an important and enriching part of the history and heritage of the United States.

Clinton also co-sponsored a bill reinforcing anti-discrimination and equal-pay requirements; specifically, to restore, reaffirm, and reconcile legal rights and remedies under civil rights statutes. The bill amended the Civil Rights Act of 1964 to establish discrimination based on disparate impact; and rights of action and recovery for unlawful discrimination. It also authorized civil actions in federal court for discrimination based on disability, and repealed provisions limiting the amount of compensatory and punitive damages that may be awarded in cases of intentional discrimination in employment. Finally, it revised provisions governing discrimination in the payment of wages, including equal pay requirements.

Equality in Education

In 1972, I returned to D.C. to work for Marian Wright Edelman in DC. My assignment was to gather information about the Nixon Administration’s failure to enforce the legal ban on granting tax-exempt status to the private segregated academies that had sprung up in the South to avoid integrated public schools. The academies claimed they were created in response to parents deciding to form private schools; it had nothing to do with court-ordered integration. I went to Atlanta to meet with the lawyers and civil rights workers who were compiling evidence that proved the academies were created solely for the purpose of avoiding the constitutional mandate of the Supreme Court’s decisions.

As part of my investigation, I drove to Alabama. At a local private school, I had an appointment to meet an administrator to discuss enrolling my imaginary child. I went through my role-playing, asking questions about the curriculum and makeup of the student body. I was assured that no black students would be enrolled.

Living History, by Hillary Clinton, p. 57 , Nov 1, 2003

Ensuring opportunity and understanding the tragedy that is the school-to-prison pipeline, Hillary Clinton worked with community leaders in New York affiliated with the organization 100 Black Men to open an all-boys single sex school in the South Bronx. Teaching predominantly black and Latino young men, David Banks, the founding principal, sees his mission as “empowering at risk inner-city young men to become academic achievers, engaged citizens and responsible men.” Eagle, now with six high schools in New York City and Newark, N.J., has graduation rate of over 95 percent.

Women

In addition to compiling three editions of the first Handbook on Legal Rights for Arkansas Women, In 1987, Robert MacCrate, then president of the American Bar Association, appointed Hillary Clinton as the first chairperson of the inaugural twelve member ABA Commission on Women and the Profession. Up until that time, the participation of women in the ABA had been very limited. This was a chance to place women’s issues into the mainstream of ABA activity.

The commission held hearings and found widespread discrimination issuing a report urging the bar association to publicly recognize that gender bias exists in the profession and to begin to eliminate it. The ABA responded to the work of Hillary’s commission by adopting a resolution that committed the association and its members to “refuse to participate in, acquiesce in, or condone barriers to the full integration and equal participation of women in the legal profession.“ The voice vote of approval was unanimous. Hillary told the delegates, ”Despite the progress that has been made, there still exist instances of subtle discrimination against women.“ In 1991, the group created the Goal IX Report Card, an annual accounting designed to measure the progress of women in the association.

In 1997, following up on her assertion two years earlier, at the fourth U.N. Conference on Women in Beijing, that ‘women’s rights are human rights,” Hillary and Secretary of State Madeleine Albright established the Vital Voices Democracy Initiative to promote the advancement of women’s rights as an explicit goal of US foreign policy. Over the next three years, at conferences throughout the world, Vital Voices brought together thousands of women leaders from 80 countries.

In 2000, American women who were involved in the government initiative and who wanted the project to continue formed a new non-governmental organization, Vital Voices Global Partnership, and aligned with other women around the world who began their own chapters. Vital Voices invests in emerging women leaders to give them the tools they need to advance peace and reconciliation, run successful businesses, participate fully in their nation’s political life, and combat trafficking in women and girls and other abusive practices.

Clinton co-sponsored the bill re-introducing the Equal Rights Amendment, a joint resolution proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States relative to equal rights for men and women. Its three sections stated equality of rights under the law shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of sex. The Congress shall have the power to enforce, by appropriate legislation, the provisions of this article. This article shall take effect 2 years after the date of ratification.

Dude... you must have known when you were copy/pasting this that you're essentially trying to put lipstick on a pig.

Should I go through point by point or would that be a complete waste of my time?
  • manofmorehouse
    manofmorehouse Members Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Please do. And while you're at it, draw the comparisons to who you're voting for (if you're voting). I find it interesting that there's this assumption that people believe politicians are 100% honest or in agreement to what u believe in. Point by point, dispel my assertion that Hillary Clinton has done more for blacks than BLM.
  • not_osirus_jenkins
    not_osirus_jenkins Members, Banned Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    fortyacres wrote: »
    AggyAF wrote: »
    However there's also her role in Haiti and Libya as well as her disgusting pandering

OH , now you guys care about Haiti and Libya lmao .

She is just like any other politician the good and the bad.

That's why alot of us say ? politics. It's not about helping it's about who has the biggest donor behind them. That's not politics. Thats a transaction ensuring favoritism at the donors request.
  • manofmorehouse
    Options
    However there's also her role in Haiti and Libya as well as her disgusting pandering

That's why alot of us say ? politics. It's not about helping it's about who has the biggest donor behind them. That's not politics. Thats a transaction ensuring favoritism at the donors request.

I agree with u....partially. I feel like politicians are going to play to their base because it ensures job security. Donors provide the funding that allows them to get their message out to the masses. So how does the poor man affect politics?? By actually voting in large numbers. People question why ? and Mexicans are getting an actual platform and having specific bills passed.

They're voting in much larger numbers than us for candidates that represent their interests. We'll see ? we don't like and say "that's why I don't vote". As a politician, are u more inclined to angry voters or angry protesters saying they don't vote?? Leaving out morals because we are talking about politicians. That's honestly all it boils down to. Voting in your city, state, and presidential elections in droves for people that speak for u.
  • ghostdog56
    ghostdog56 Members Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I agree with u....partially. I feel like politicians are going to play to their base because it ensures job security. Donors provide the funding that allows them to get their message out to the masses. So how does the poor man affect politics?? By actually voting in large numbers. People question why ? and Mexicans are getting an actual platform and having specific bills passed.

They're voting in much larger numbers than us for candidates that represent their interests. We'll see ? we don't like and say "that's why I don't vote". As a politician, are u more inclined to angry voters or angry protesters saying they don't vote?? Leaving out morals because we are talking about politicians. That's honestly all it boils down to. Voting in your city, state, and presidential elections in droves for people that speak for u.

Mad black people voted for Obama, folk who would have never voted in their life. You colored folk just can't except the fact that Obama is a sellout, the biggest one in black history
  • manofmorehouse
    Options
    How so?? Speak on it with facts please
  • iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why does the BLM think the know all and speak for all the black people ?

Was she lying tho??? Was she not saying something a lot of black people have said???

She is not telling the truth in its entirety is she ,Hillary is a ? politician , You psuedo revolutionaries need perspective.

She has done good and done some things not so savoury but im pretty sure as Lawyer and Senator from her proven record she does more than take photo ops and conspire against the black masses.

and it is rather insulting and arrogance to think because you are in a specific movement of black Populism , you are all knowing ,speak for the whole black populace and everyone else is wrong & ignorant.

If you dont like Hillary/Dems create a party ,galvanize, your disenfranchised base or vote Green Party otherwise beating a dead horse is not gonna bring you anything.

Exactly. The fact of the matter is that Hillary has done more for blacks than BLM has. Fact is, even with the list of demands BLM has released, they have given no real plan to go about achieving them. They've existed since Trayvon Martin was murdered. What tangible change have they brought forth??

On the surface, I'm with their movement and definitely understand what they want to do. They just need a change in leadership and to either work with the people that can enact change, or run for political offices and do it themselves.

what has hillary done for u my super predator friend?

tumblr_n8l3q7Zxhl1rhvvowo3_250_zpstcipadrk.gif
    Her husband likes jazz it's ok....
  • Black Boy King
    Black Boy King Members Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=119AmkkXAR4

her reaction tho lol, would make u think someone pulled out that thang

• nex gin
    nex gin Members Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lmao @ smmfh @ anybody who still doesn't understand that politicians politic. If they don't solicit, pander and promise then they cease to exist. It will continue to be that way until society holds them, their supporters as well as their political detractors accountable for the decisions that shape our laws and affect our lives and our country.
  • fortyacres
    fortyacres Members, Moderators Posts: 4,479 Regulator
    Options

67131104.jpg

eat a oscar sized meryl streep ? ? .
  • fortyacres
    fortyacres Members, Moderators Posts: 4,479 Regulator
    Options
    nex gin wrote: »
    lmao @ smmfh @ anybody who still doesn't understand that politicians politic. If they don't solicit, pander and promise then they cease to exist. It will continue to be that way until society holds them, their supporters as well as their political detractors accountable for the decisions that shape our laws and affect our lives and our country.

this right here , ? is crybabies and they act coy.

all these ? here want revolution but are content in the 9-5 cubicle job and their keyboard militant aliases and aint never gonna do ? .

? outta here with that.
  • Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Was asked for examples of how she's helped blacks, provided them, and now I'm a troll. Lmao I love the IC

Rex is still waiting for you to post examples of how the Secretary of State wrote, sponsored, or championed black people specifically, and I read your lenghty post.
  • Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Voter ID

While in the Senate, Hillary Clinton introduced the Count Every Vote Act of 2005 to combat a “history of intimidation.” Fighting against voter ID laws, Clinton said that:

“By trying to require not just photo identification but proof of citizenship — proof that thousands of American citizens can’t produce through no fault of their own — cynical Republican lawmakers are trying to build new walls between hundreds of thousands of eligible senior, minority, and low-income Americans and their civil right to choose their own leaders. Republicans claim that these requirements are needed to prevent fraud, but the reality is that they do little more than disenfranchise eligible voters.”

Democrats will always fight back against Republican shenanigans when it comes to voting registration because they know as soon as they restore their vote it's going straight to them...without anything more expected in return. Meh

Equality Under The Law

Hillary Clinton stood with Cecelia Marshall, Thurgood Marshall’s widow, alongside former Detroit Mayor Dennis Archer at his swearing in as the first African-American President of the American Bar Association in its 124-year history – 60 years after they lifted a ban on black members. Her support and affiliation with the Legal Services Corporation including her board chairmanship of that organization in the early 1970s reaffirmed a longstanding commitment to support low-income communities and people of color in the courtroom and at the highest levels of legal advocacy.
    Wait so she was there when the first Black president of the American Bar Association was sworn in? That's an accomplishment? She was there? Sounds like a photo-op to me

Hillary co-sponsored a bill recognizing Juneteenth as the historical end of slavery. The resolution recognized the historical significance of Juneteenth Independence Day and expressed that history should be regarded as a means for understanding the past and solving the challenges of the future. Recognizing the historical significance to the nation, and supporting the continued celebration of Juneteenth Independence Day (June 19, 1865, the day Union soldiers arrived in Galveston, Texas, with news that the Civil War had ended and that the enslaved African Americans were free), Congress passed it declaring the celebration of the end of slavery is an important and enriching part of the history and heritage of the United States.

Meh.

Equality in Education

In 1972, I returned to D.C. to work for Marian Wright Edelman in DC. My assignment was to gather information about the Nixon Administration’s failure to enforce the legal ban on granting tax-exempt status to the private segregated academies that had sprung up in the South to avoid integrated public schools. The academies claimed they were created in response to parents deciding to form private schools; it had nothing to do with court-ordered integration. I went to Atlanta to meet with the lawyers and civil rights workers who were compiling evidence that proved the academies were created solely for the purpose of avoiding the constitutional mandate of the Supreme Court’s decisions.

As part of my investigation, I drove to Alabama. At a local private school, I had an appointment to meet an administrator to discuss enrolling my imaginary child. I went through my role-playing, asking questions about the curriculum and makeup of the student body. I was assured that no black students would be enrolled.

If this actually happened how she claims it happens this is pretty good. Cool ain't mad at it.

Living History, by Hillary Clinton, p. 57 , Nov 1, 2003

Ensuring opportunity and understanding the tragedy that is the school-to-prison pipeline, Hillary Clinton worked with community leaders in New York affiliated with the organization 100 Black Men to open an all-boys single sex school in the South Bronx. Teaching predominantly black and Latino young men, David Banks, the founding principal, sees his mission as “empowering at risk inner-city young men to become academic achievers, engaged citizens and responsible men.” Eagle, now with six high schools in New York City and Newark, N.J., has graduation rate of over 95 percent.

LOL I'm not gonna bother to beat the dead horse that is Hillary's contribution to the school -to-prison pipeline. Her "working with" community leaders (to what extent who knows) to open up ONE school doesn't even begin to absolve her of her role.

Women

In addition to compiling three editions of the first Handbook on Legal Rights for Arkansas Women, In 1987, Robert MacCrate, then president of the American Bar Association, appointed Hillary Clinton as the first chairperson of the inaugural twelve member ABA Commission on Women and the Profession. Up until that time, the participation of women in the ABA had been very limited. This was a chance to place women’s issues into the mainstream of ABA activity.

The commission held hearings and found widespread discrimination issuing a report urging the bar association to publicly recognize that gender bias exists in the profession and to begin to eliminate it. The ABA responded to the work of Hillary’s commission by adopting a resolution that committed the association and its members to “refuse to participate in, acquiesce in, or condone barriers to the full integration and equal participation of women in the legal profession.“ The voice vote of approval was unanimous. Hillary told the delegates, ”Despite the progress that has been made, there still exist instances of subtle discrimination against women.“ In 1991, the group created the Goal IX Report Card, an annual accounting designed to measure the progress of women in the association.

In 1997, following up on her assertion two years earlier, at the fourth U.N. Conference on Women in Beijing, that ‘women’s rights are human rights,” Hillary and Secretary of State Madeleine Albright established the Vital Voices Democracy Initiative to promote the advancement of women’s rights as an explicit goal of US foreign policy. Over the next three years, at conferences throughout the world, Vital Voices brought together thousands of women leaders from 80 countries.

In 2000, American women who were involved in the government initiative and who wanted the project to continue formed a new non-governmental organization, Vital Voices Global Partnership, and aligned with other women around the world who began their own chapters. Vital Voices invests in emerging women leaders to give them the tools they need to advance peace and reconciliation, run successful businesses, participate fully in their nation’s political life, and combat trafficking in women and girls and other abusive practices.

Clinton co-sponsored the bill re-introducing the Equal Rights Amendment, a joint resolution proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States relative to equal rights for men and women. Its three sections stated equality of rights under the law shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of sex. The Congress shall have the power to enforce, by appropriate legislation, the provisions of this article. This article shall take effect 2 years after the date of ratification.

I thought this thread was about her record with the Black voting block...none of this is relevant to this discussion.

There's more right?
  • LordZuko
    LordZuko Members Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LordZuko wrote: »
    Black people can't name one thing Bill or Hillary has done for and specifically for the benefit of Black people. All we know is Bill played the saxophone and wore shades and ? ugly fat white ? .

Hillary called black children superpredators her husband oversaw the expansion of the prison industrial complex.

All anyone needs to do is to tell me how they've assisted Black people or what promises Hillary has currently made to Black people, specifically. Not Minorities, not People of Color, not the "disenfranchised" Specifically addressing the needs of Black people.

There's a lengthy post I have a on this thread u may want to read...

None of what she has done has been of any benefit to Black people
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    So wait, BLM is not the lesbian freedom fighters funded by george soros when they are sabotaging the only administration that will act like they give a ? instead of openly not giving a ? ? I mean, what's their endgame? Maybe they should be trying to use the cacs that's trying to use them. idk.

imo, they didn't have to reach out to BLM at all. The rest of cac America was already ignoring them and yelling ALM.
  • Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

On one hand you're trying to tote Hillary's record with Black people and on the other hand you're arguing "well she ain't did ? for Black people cause y'all don't vote...she's a politician so what you expect?" And I absolutely agree with what you're getting at but kind of have a different point of view. I think abstaining from voting would be more beneficial than voting unconditionally...it's like why wine and dine a ? when she just gonna give it up anyway..out of the goodness of your heart? Nah smash her keep it moving...call her back up when you tryna smash again. That's how Democrats view the Black voting block. And why shouldn't they?
  • SneakDZA
    Options
    Please do. And while you're at it, draw the comparisons to who you're voting for (if you're voting). I find it interesting that there's this assumption that people believe politicians are 100% honest or in agreement to what u believe in. Point by point, dispel my assertion that Hillary Clinton has done more for blacks than BLM.

I actually plan to vote for Clinton. I'm just not gonna pretend I'm thrilled about it. She's a ? but I'm not trying to play games when nuclear annihilation or WW3 is on the table.

As far as going point by point... @stiff already handled that but I'll just add that your pros, when trimmed to just those that actually advance causes for black people, is about 1-2 items long; once you factor in her cons she's still in a deficit.
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ...............okay cool, Alicia and the rest of those ? trying to claim exclusive ownership of "Black Lives Matter" need to sit the ? down with their unwarranted self-importance in general tho.

? you ain't Malcolm X cuz u came up with a ? hashtag, stop tryna act like creating a Facebook page first makes you Boss of All Bosses, ? outta here

If it was up to me the slogan woulda been something like #NotAboveTheLaw or Lock Up Killer Cops anyway. Something that puts them on the defensive instead of inviting this "but what about ______ lives?" ?

Too many of these "official" BLM organizations feel like the blind leading the blind, b. Smh
  • desertrain10
    desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Swiffness! wrote: »
    ...............okay cool, Alicia and the rest of those ? trying to claim exclusive ownership of "Black Lives Matter" need to sit the ? down with their unwarranted self-importance in general tho.

? you ain't Malcolm X cuz u came up with a ? hashtag, stop tryna act like creating a Facebook page first makes you Boss of All Bosses, ? outta here

If it was up to me the slogan woulda been something like #NotAboveTheLaw or Lock Up Killer Cops anyway. Something that puts them on the defensive instead of inviting this "but what about ______ lives?" ?

Too many of these "official" BLM organizations feel like the blind leading the blind, b. Smh

Crazy how willing some of you are to denigrate inexperienced young blk ppl trying to make a difference, while bending over backwards to defend and fawn over seasoned politicans who either have supported policies that have exasperated the problem or who no real plan to address the issue

• SneakDZA
    Options
    Swiffness! wrote: »

Why she gotta be a ? though? And who's acting like a boss? All she did was give an interview.

Of all the things in the world to hate why would you guys start with a young black woman trying to be politically active?