Woman Dead, Child Injured After Armed Standoff With Police

Options

Comments

• xxCivicxx
    xxCivicxx Members Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    xxCivicxx wrote: »
    basically... a government agency silenced a citizen.
    her speech was not protected, but she was 'crazy' so lets focus on that...smh

I'm just saying let's focus on preventing a situation like this from happening again

I'm with you on that.
    we can't do that by focusing on the mental state of civilians.
    we can make sure our employees follow specific protocols when dealing with all citizens.
    her life was worth as much as the lives of the white ppl they choose not to ? .

I completely agree

This was definitely murder
  • stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYWZy9bw6Ro
    The killing of Korryn Gaines by police while her five-year-old son was present over parking tickets has sent major shockwaves through the country. Baltimore police came to the woman’s residence to serve her a warrant for failing to appear in traffic court this past March and also were looking to serve a warrant for a man who lived with her as well. However, the visit did not go as expected and ended up with her being shot and killed along with her child being struck by a bullet. Now, a video of her son has surfaced with him saying that the police shot at him and his mother on purpose. In the video, the child says “The police kicked the door down and then my mom was hiding. I was hiding in the closet.” The child said his mom told the cops to back off and said the police told her to please back up. He then said the police started shooting, which caused him to hide by the couch. From there, the police took him. The young man also stated that police shot at him because they saw him run.
  • xxCivicxx
    Options
    ^^But see this is what I mean smh

Has victim's sister spoken on the the victim's mental state at all? Why is she coaching this traumatized child through a video right now?

And AGAIN, the ? that is being forced on these kids is ? me off
  • bambu
    bambu Members Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    https://youtu.be/dP9WIyaiqxw

giphy.gif

Why they posting lil dude on instagram tho????

• xxCivicxx
    Options
  • blackamerica
    blackamerica Members Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Has victim's sister spoken on the the victim's mental state at all? Why is she coaching this traumatized child through a video right now?

First off, the ? works both ways. The fact is we don't know what happened exactly. Why are you assuming this kid was "coached"? Why couldn't he simply be telling what happened? Just like the police erasing all this young lady's social media. For all we know the police could've been the mentally unstable ones. ? like you critical of others jumping to conclusions be doing the exact same ? smh
  • xxCivicxx
    Options
    These last 2 videos are disgusting for many reasons smh

Did anyone else read the prologue and epilogue in the longer video?
  • xxCivicxx
    Options

First off, the ? works both ways. The fact is we don't know what happened exactly. Why are you assuming this kid was "coached"? Why couldn't he simply be telling what happened? Just like the police erasing all this young lady's social media. For all we know the police could've been the mentally unstable ones. ? like you critical of others jumping to conclusions be doing the exact same ? smh

Ok then forget I said he was coached. When I say that, I partly mean in a legal sense, a case can be made for her coaching this child if this was ever submitted as evidence to a court, but disregard that for now

Is this how you handle a child who just watched his mother's murder?

And what's up with all the anti STRAIGHT black male rhetoric in this testimonial vid?

Is it necessary at all??
  • bambu
    Options

Yea...

I don't know who made it....

But they say her ol man is trying to capitalize.....

Looks like a few people are trying to get paid....

This whole situation is ? up.....

• xxCivicxx
    Options
    bambu wrote: »

Yea...

But why are his personal actions an indictment on all straight black men though?

Too many different agendas trying to be promoted right now off of this tragedy
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    :/
    I feel bad for that little man. He can barely process any of this trauma
  • bambu
    Options

Yea...

But why are his personal actions an indictment on all straight black men though?

Too many different agendas trying to be promoted right now off of this tragedy

Indeed....

The age of information has also ushered in the age of misinformation.......

• janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    DWO wrote: »
    This was after she got pulled over for having a cardboard sign saying "free traveler" where her licence tag was supposed to be...
    still trying to figure out why i read a million articles about this case that didn't point out this flagrant "sovereign citizen" sign.
    Judah Back wrote: »
    i'm hearing now she was disputing the traffic offenses with the "sovereignty" doctrine. She had been talking about it before on social media. Thats why she was riding without plates and didn't go to court. You know, the whole "the police don't have jurisdiction, freedom of travel, i dont need a driver's license, traffic court is not real court, etc."

sad thing is, while the sovereignty and nationality is a real part of international law-
    the kind of "sovereignty" she'd be talking about isn't a real thing. i mean, it EXISTS as something people believe, but it's complete ? .

• janklow
    Options
    Ghost313 wrote: »
    They throw cats in jail for having an argument with a female. But they come in swat gear with automatic rifles to ? a woman, and its justifiable cause she was mentally unstable?
    they come in SWAT gear because that's what police agencies do: respond to everything possible with SWAT.

now ponder the fact that Maryland doesn't even have their mild SWAT oversight law in effect anymore

• janklow
    Options
    How does a seemingly small woman, holding a child in one arm, let off several shots from a long rifle in the other arm from a seated position without being knocked backwards to the floor from the first shot?

She would have had to have been holding the stock and trigger in one hand to pull this off, so I'm gonna ask the question that needs to be answered: Can any of you hold a rifle, without a pistol grip, with one hand, sitting down, without getting knocked over?
    you're not going to shoot a 12-gauge with any degree of accuracy like that (and pistol-grip shotguns SUCK), but the physics of the shot aren't going to just knock you to the ground.

• janklow
    Options
    Why can cops in brazil make that shot constantly without hitting a hostage but these american cops have been on a 10 year tear. Hitting hostages and innocent bystanders.
    why would police do a better job when there are essentially no consequences for doing a poor job?
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    making that kid speak on it from a hospital bed seems wild abusive...

Cops having a peaceful stand off with grown men for weeks, but shooting at a mother, and her 5 year old is wild abusive.... over some damn parking tickets.
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yep, shorty was kickin that sovereignty ? ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etJ4VA3SPX8

gotta know when to fold... even when you're right, that don't matter if you don't have the power, the people, or the army behind you for support

R.I.P. To her. This ? broke my heart to watch. Shorty was a free black girl(at least in spirit) and I love her and what was in her heart. She wasn't crazy, just wouldn't accept that you can't opt out the game

Her dude ain't deserve a woman like this
  • rapmusic
    rapmusic Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    https://youtu.be/dP9WIyaiqxw

giphy.gif

Why they posting lil dude on instagram tho????

This is way too much to put a ? 5 year old through man.
  • rapmusic
    rapmusic Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    We are in here doing exactly what CNN/MSNBC/FOX Does with these videos. Breaking down the video and arguing like it's First Take and ? . People always get on my case about how the media profits off black pain and whatnot, meanwhile I've seen these videos on ? baller alert and BET.com and ? . People on twitter and facebook doing their best Steven A Smith impressions while talking about these videos. None of this ? is going to bring these people back. So many people who bash the mainstream media are using the same tactics to drive people to their wack ass blogs and twitter/YouTube pages. What's going to hsppem when people move on from this tragedy? Anyway, carry on.
  • xxCivicxx
    Options
    D0wn wrote: »
    making that kid speak on it from a hospital bed seems wild abusive...

Cops having a peaceful stand off with grown men for weeks, but shooting at a mother, and her 5 year old is wild abusive.... over some damn parking tickets.

You're trying to frame the situation in the exact same way that the MSM does, just in the opposite direction. This post is a PERFECT example of what I mean when I say that lot of black people don't understand the concept of context

This entire situation was abusive to those children period. If you wanna hang the entire future of black people on some babies then do you but I won't be apart of that at all

And stop saying she got shot over parking tickets, you can clearly see that she recorded that entire situation

She got shot because she wasn't well and a lot of cops don't care about unwell black people

I'm curious why you're not more concerned with her family not watching over her better

Y'all keep saying "but but when white people do it" like that's not already common knowledge
  • xxCivicxx
    Options
    R.D. wrote: »

gotta know when to fold... even when you're right, that don't matter if you don't have the power, the people, or the army behind you for support

R.I.P. To her. This ? broke my heart to watch. Shorty was a free black girl(at least in spirit) and I love her and what was in her heart. She wasn't crazy, just wouldn't accept that you can't opt out the game

Can you elaborate on this?
  • stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2016/08/04/korryn-gaines-unprecedented-threats-against-police/
    Police: ‘Unprecedented Number Of Threats’ After Korryn Gaines Shooting

BALTIMORE (WJZ) — An “unprecedented number of threats” have been made against the Baltimore County Police Department after the fatal shooting of Korryn Gaines on Monday.

As such, Chief Jim Johnson has opted not to identify the officer who fired the deadly shot during the Randallstown incident, even though the department’s standard procedure is to release the names of officers involved in shootings about 48 hours after the incident.

Police also cited “the current national climate” and “Gaines’ ideology, consistent with anti-government sentiment,” as factors in their decision to withhold the name.

“She [Gaines] identified and behaved as a ‘free person’ who does not recognize governmental authority,” the release states.

The officers involved in the incident have been placed on administrative leave, also standard procedure for officer-involved shootings.

Investigators say the officers responded to a home in the unit block of Sulky Court on Monday around 9:20 a.m. to serve arrest warrants for 23-year-old Gaines and her boyfriend, 39-year-old Kareem Kiean Courtney.

The arrest warrant for Gaines stemmed from a traffic stop that occurred back in March when she was charged with resisting arrest and disorderly conduct. Police were also serving an arrest warrant for Courtney on second degree assault charges.

Upon arrival to the home, police say three officers knocked on the door of the residence but no one answered. Minutes later, after overhearing the voices of a man and woman and a child’s cries coming from inside, officers opened the door using a key obtained from the landlord.

During a new conference on Tuesday, Johnson said officers could see Gaines sitting on the floor with a child nearby. Johnson says Gaines immediately began wielding a 12-gauge shotgun around, bringing it into the ready position and directing at the officers.

Three officers then retreated to the hallway outside and called for backup, according to police.

Johnson says tactical teams surrounded the home and negotiations began with Gaines around 9:40 a.m.

Minutes later, 39-year-old Kareem Courtney ran out of the home with a 1-year-old boy and was immediately apprehended. He was arrested on a warrant for second degree assault and was later released.

During the 7-hour stand-off, police say Gaines used social media to broadcast the ongoing situation.

There is some controversy surrounding the fact that police asked Facebook to deactivate her accounts and remove those videos, but they say her followers were encouraging her not to comply with requests that she surrender peacefully.

At approximately 4 p.m., officers again attempted to negotiate with Gaines — who was still with her 5-year-old son — into surrendering, but police say she refused and pointed the gun at officers multiple times, even threatening to ? them saying, “”If you don’t leave, I’m going to ? you.”

Johnson says it was at this point that a tactical officer discharged one round toward Gaines, but police do not know if she was struck.

Gaines then returned fire, but no officers were struck.

Officers then fired back, hitting and killing Gaines. When officers went to render aid, they noticed that the 5-year-old boy, Gaines’s son Kodi, was also struck.

According to an update on the case released by police Thursday, they still do not know whether the boy “was struck by a round and/or shrapnel from the officer’s weapon or Gaines’ Mossberg shotgun.”

The update also said that, after consultation with the State’s Attorney and law enforcement attorneys, the department “has confirmed that the legal requirements for entry to serve an arrest warrant were met,” and that there was no body camera footage filmed from inside the apartment.

“BCoPD’s body camera program is less than a month old, and only about 40 of the 1,900 officers in the agency currently are equipped with them,” the release said. There is, however, body camera footage from several officers assigned to support roles on the outside perimeter of the incident, but it is part of the investigation and will not be released at this time.

There are also no audiotapes of the negotiations, police say.

“In Maryland, the Courts and Judicial Proceedings Section 10-402 of the Annotated Code allows recording only in hostage situations. The child, Kodi Gaines, was not a hostage in this incident; the FBI defines “hostage” as a person held to fulfill a demand, and a threat of harm unless the demand is met.”

giphy.gif
  • obnoxiouslyfresh
    obnoxiouslyfresh Members Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    R.D. wrote: »

Can you elaborate on this?

I can't speak for him but I'm assuming he's talking about her identifying as a sovereign citizen. She drove around with a cardboard sign on her vehicle that read “Any government official who compromises this pursuit to happiness and right to travel, will be held criminally responsible and fined, as this is a natural right and freedom.” It said “free traveler” on it. So a case can be made that she had chosen to be recognized on her own terms. The very sad part is this is a woman who was living by her own rules, and now she's not.