Father Gets Killed For Getting Son's Cap Back

Options
1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
A Brooklyn dad stood up for his son — and was killed over a baseball cap.

The deadly chain of events began Saturday when Gerald Sealey, 17, was playing basketball outside Public School 6 in Flatbush. Three teens approached Sealey at the Snyder Ave. courts and one of them snatched an Oakland Raiders cap from Sealey’s head, police sources said.

The stylish Don C lambskin cap with a snakeskin bill sells on eBay for up to $200, and elsewhere online for more than $400. Police said the trio roughed Sealey up and also tried to steal his cellphone.

Sealey was playing basketball Wednesday at the same courts when he saw the 16-year-old robber — sporting his cherished cap — with two other teens about 10:15 p.m., police sources said.

Sealey called his father, Gerald Cummings, 38, who came to the basketball court and snatched the hat off the 16-year-old bully’s head, sources said. The humiliated crook followed Cummings and his son off the court, trying to take the cap back when one of his friends pulled a gun from his backpack and started blasting, sources said.

Cummings was fatally shot in the head in front of his son, police said.

article-mayhem2-0804.jpgarticle-mayhem-0804.jpg

“He did what any father would do and that’s stand up for his children,” said Earl Saunders, 34, Cummings’ longtime friend and co-worker at a blood testing lab. “All he did was confront the kids that beat up his son — and lost his life in the process of defending his child.”

Cummings was hit in the back, back of the head, and right temple, sources said. His son wasn’t hurt.

The dad — who also leaves behind an 11-year-old son — was rushed to Kings County Hospital but could not be saved.

“He was a caring, hardworking man,” said Cummings’ nephew, Jahquel Davis. “I don’t know what to say.”

Police had investigated 201 homicides this year through Wednesday, five fewer than the 206 reported during the same time period last year. That’s a drop of about 2.5%. Police said that 544 shootings have been reported this year, 129 fewer than the 673 reported at this time last year. That’s a dip of about 24%.

Investigators have identified the teen robber and have a street name for the gunman but have not been able to find either suspect, police sources said.

Sealey returned to his apartment building Thursday evening surrounded by family.

When asked if he had anything to say about his father, he shouted, “No! No! No!”

Inside the apartment, Cummings’ distraught wife could be heard crying.

“We’re all grieving,” Saunders said.

Comments

• numbaz...80's baby
    numbaz...80's baby Members Posts: 5,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Brooklyn ? stay on that bs....RIP
  • Lurkristocrat
    Lurkristocrat Members Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bk has always been behind the curve even with wild gentrification smh
  • Fosheezy
    Fosheezy Members Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Let's see if ? gonna March for this
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Another reason why 'what about black on black crime' talks are pointless.. this was a Savage Act.. there's no amount of talking and sit downs that can prevent some ignorant ? like this from happening
  • numbaz...80's baby
    numbaz...80's baby Members Posts: 5,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Trillfate wrote: »
    Another reason why 'what about black on black crime' talks are pointless.. this was a Savage Act.. there's no amount of talking and sit downs that can prevent some ignorant ? like this from happening

I disagree but that's just me.
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah, Brooklyn kids are ratchet as ? . Those Schmoney dudes are prime examples.
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Fosheezy wrote: »
    Let's see if ? gonna March for this

Don't do that fam. People march over political and social injustices and ? , not everything gets marched for.

Saying some ? like that is like trying to throw shade at all the other ? up ? goin on.

You think because people don't march for this ? , that they like it ?
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    See now THIS is a tearjerker for me...

Not that ? buying his chubby son a baseball bat
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    EmM HoLLa. wrote: »
    7figz wrote: »
    That's that ? . I know that area - the precinct is only a few blocks from there.

? up RIP. Dude would've had to go out there ready to ? one of those lil MFs.

That's the ? up situation you in NY - can't even legally have a weapon.

Main reason I don't ? with Brooklyn ? .. Main reason why I moved my peoples out of the hood.. You can't have nothin.. And if you do you gotta be willing to ? in order to keep it.. Literally.. ? is ridiculous.. Over a Don C hat?.. smh..

Same way I feel.

? just stupid to have to be professional to obtain and street to keep or relocate.

smdh
  • mohamed
    mohamed Members Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    7figz wrote: »
    That's that ? . I know that area - the precinct is only a few blocks from there.

? up and RIP. Dude would've had to go out there ready to ? one of those lil MFs over a hat.

That's the ? up situation you're in in NY - can't even legally have a weapon.

Bruh when I lived in Brooklyn I remember some ? ? backing out on us in a school yard behind a precinct smh it's like where the ? are the police??

I hope they catch the suspect. He deserves to rot in jail for a coward act like that. R.I.P. to the dad. He did the right thing but being from BK he should of known how fast ? like that escalated.
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    @ D. Morgan

DUCK TALES MY ASS THIS WAS IN FLATBUSH and i can guarantee ? tee you that if i did that to your mother she would either call the cops or give me what you stole back and she was jamaican so she knew how we can be.
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options

My ? believe what you want you ain't from the communities i've lived in