Here's what Kobe Bryant would tell his 17-year-old self about money

Options

Comments

• 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    I can buy you 1 car or I can help you buy 3 cars. Bet that ? go for the 3 car option and if he take the 1 car option you know what kinda ? you dealing with.

very true
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    ? all that, if I got it, my people's got it. ? stay trying to find a way to NOT help their family out. What he's saying is how you treat strangers you're trying to help out, not your close family. With your close ones you (I) would do both for the young people and simply support my elders.

Kobe needs to chill with that big brother, overseeing eye ? . Stop trying to evaluate and control every aspect of the lives of others on some power trip ? . Ol' I got the whole world in my hands ass ? .

So you're saying he should budget into his life money to take care of fully grown adults who can work for themselves?

I would, but that's me and my situation. The way I see it, we're all slaves to this work force ? , and I would quickly free my family from this crooked system we're all caught in.

In Kobe's case, he's acting like if his parents or siblings ask for a nice car, he should turn it down and instead send them to law school, on some "I'm trying to better you" ? , or offer to pay a bill or some ? . I see that as crossing the line and trying to play some overseer position. Nah ? , either buy them the car or tell 'em you ain't got it. FOH with that, "well I got you an interview with another slave corporation and put in good word for you instead" ? .

Yeah i'm not funding no grown man or woman's lifestyle unless it's my father. Other than that I'll help someone get set up and in a position to continue to take care of themselves...but I aint about to be out here paying nobody's bills to keep the lights on in their home. That does nothing to help someone, it only makes them dependent on you for their livelihood...and it's an ego boost for you to make you feel important.
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    ? all that, if I got it, my people's got it. ? stay trying to find a way to NOT help their family out. What he's saying is how you treat strangers you're trying to help out, not your close family. With your close ones you (I) would do both for the young people and simply support my elders.

Kobe needs to chill with that big brother, overseeing eye ? . Stop trying to evaluate and control every aspect of the lives of others on some power trip ? . Ol' I got the whole world in my hands ass ? .

So you're saying he should budget into his life money to take care of fully grown adults who can work for themselves?

I would, but that's me and my situation. The way I see it, we're all slaves to this work force ? , and I would quickly free my family from this crooked system we're all caught in.

In Kobe's case, he's acting like if his parents or siblings ask for a nice car, he should turn it down and instead send them to law school, on some "I'm trying to better you" ? , or offer to pay a bill or some ? . I see that as crossing the line and trying to play some overseer position. Nah ? , either buy them the car or tell 'em you ain't got it. FOH with that, "well I got you an interview with another slave corporation and put in good word for you instead" ? .

what?

so you put a car over free law school because you don't like being told what to do by someone looking out for you?

If my little cousin hits me up and asks if I will buy him a car for his birthday, I will ask the basic whys, and give him a blunt yes or no. At no point will I play myself out of position and switch the conversation to something else to supervise his life decisions.

If they're struggling with their finances, and THEY reach out and want help, that's another conversation to have at another time.

supervising his life decisions and asking him why he wants a new car is kinda the same.

No it's not, not even close. If anyone asks me for a favor that involves my resources, I'm going to ask why every time. That way I can better determine if I want to answer with a yes or a no.
  • NothingButTheTruth
    Options

Yeah i'm not funding no grown man or woman's lifestyle unless it's my father. Other than that I'll help someone get set up and in a position to continue to take care of themselves...but I aint about to be out here paying nobody's bills to keep the lights on in their home. That does nothing to help someone, it only makes them dependent on you for their livelihood...and it's an ego boost for you to make you feel important.

And that same relationship you have with your father, others may have with their mother or siblings or even best friends.

Just because you feel supporting others is an ego boost, doesn't make it so. Maybe that's your self-evaluation, but that's not how it is over here. I support people in my family, because I can and I feel that's what close family should do for each other. No ego involved when it comes to close ones.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options

what?

so you put a car over free law school because you don't like being told what to do by someone looking out for you?

If my little cousin hits me up and asks if I will buy him a car for his birthday, I will ask the basic whys, and give him a blunt yes or no. At no point will I play myself out of position and switch the conversation to something else to supervise his life decisions.

If they're struggling with their finances, and THEY reach out and want help, that's another conversation to have at another time.

supervising his life decisions and asking him why he wants a new car is kinda the same.

No it's not, not even close. If anyone asks me for a favor that involves my resources, I'm going to ask why every time. That way I can better determine if I want to answer with a yes or a no.

but you saying yes or no can be viewed as selfish and needing to meet your standards. so, you need to be convinced into why you should share?

• blackrain
    Options

And that same relationship you have with your father, others may have with their mother or siblings or even best friends.

Just because you feel supporting others is an ego boost, doesn't make it so. Maybe that's your self-evaluation, but that's not how it is over here. I support people in my family, because I can and I feel that's what close family should do for each other. No ego involved when it comes to close ones.

The goal should be to set others up so they can provide for themselves...not for you to fund their lifestyle forever.
  • Lurker6
    Lurker6 Members Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This probably only applies to people on his side of the family, cuz i know at no point he told his wife or her mom this fuckery. ? once bought her lambo and had them make the only auto transmission ever cuz she didnt know how to drive stick. Think it cost like an extra 100k....simps make me sick.
  • DR. JEK
    DR. JEK Members Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options

I feel that

I can understand Kobe's position but the fact that he bought his mother in law an extra big ass house Make him look like he just tryna penny pinch with just his bloodline. If you gont be like that, be like that wit everybody.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    DR. JEK wrote: »

I feel that

I can understand Kobe's position but the fact that he bought his mother in law an extra big ass house. Make him look like he just tryna be like that with just his bloodline. If you got be like that, be like that wit everybody.

could had done it to make his wife happy.

seems like she's the closest to him
  • thuggathugga
    thuggathugga Members Posts: 125 ✭✭
    Options
  • white sympathizer
    white sympathizer Members Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? you played 20 years in the NBA as a star, ? even then bench warming ? pulling down a mil a year

Common sense, wait until you 3 seasons in and then you straight, go brazy after that boy
  • b'mer...
    b'mer... Members Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Powerful. The since of pride that one can feel from accomplishing goals and life milestones on their own will is satisfaction on its own. Not to say that little breaks here and there are not warranted but hand outs will lead to the downfall of most, not beong able to tighten up that belt strap when faced with adversity. You may want a range rover but you drive a magnum that you paid off, take your victories as they come. Stand on your own two feet.

#KOBE #PRESIDENT2020! (reaching...)
  • blackrain
    Options

I feel that

I can understand Kobe's position but the fact that he bought his mother in law an extra big ass house Make him look like he just tryna penny pinch with just his bloodline. If you gont be like that, be like that wit everybody.

Didn't Kobe get mad at his parents because they sold off a bunch of stuff for money?
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options

I feel that

Didn't Kobe get mad at his parents because they sold off a bunch of stuff for money?

i think he sued them to get it back or to stop them from selling it
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He got no problem taking care of his Mexican wife's family though. smh
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Very well written, very good advice, but once you realize in his situation a lot of that is directed at his own mother and father it KINDA changes things lol

I agree with what he sayin in principle, but with DIRECT family, and with a certain amount of money? Yea my family gon be straight regardless jack. Most of the time it sounds like the process of divying the money is the issue, not the actual money. Hire someone to handle it then

1 life, 1 family, and u cant take it with you.
  • Bussy_Getta
    Bussy_Getta Members Posts: 37,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lurker6 wrote: »
    This probably only applies to people on his side of the family, cuz i know at no point he told his wife or her mom this fuckery. ? once bought her lambo and had them make the only auto transmission ever cuz she didnt know how to drive stick. Think it cost like an extra 100k....simps make me sick.

LMFAOOOO how you simp your own wife? Make this make sense.
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Smdh i hate when ? learn slang from the IC

My ? you cannot "simp" your own wife or girl
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Should of told his 17 year old self some lotto numbers.
  • DR. JEK
    Options

I feel that

I can understand Kobe's position but the fact that he bought his mother in law an extra big ass house. Make him look like he just tryna be like that with just his bloodline. If you got be like that, be like that wit everybody.

could had done it to make his wife happy.

seems like she's the closest to him

And I understand happy wife happy life but if you gonna go by the philosophy that people ain't gonna appreciate stuff and you inabling them if you don't let them work for it, it seem like that would go for her family too as well as yours. Just saying
  • DR. JEK
    edited August 2016
    Options

I feel that

Yeah something like that but I don't know the ends and outs to that. From what I heard tho his grandmother vouched for the parents in that situation. Old ass grandparents got an agenda? I don't know man, let's say they did sell his ? , they still brought him into this world, they still put him in position to succeed as a basketball player in the first place to make that bread. Come on now, they deserved shade for years and in-laws getting treated like royalty over them over a couple of high school stuff they hawked?
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, he eats for a lifetime.

How have some of you never heard this?
  • blackrain
    Options
    S2J wrote: »
    Very well written, very good advice, but once you realize in his situation a lot of that is directed at his own mother and father it KINDA changes things lol

I agree with what he sayin in principle, but with DIRECT family, and with a certain amount of money? Yea my family gon be straight regardless jack. Most of the time it sounds like the process of divying the money is the issue, not the actual money. Hire someone to handle it then

1 life, 1 family, and u cant take it with you.

Not when you got Trent Richardson saying just a day ago how his family blew through 1.6 million of his money, or the player whose own mother sent him a "bill" for raising him the night he got drafted...or the other stories athletes and rich folks in general have told about how their family feels automatically entitled to the money they've earned at anytime no matter what. You make people that dependent on you for their livelihood then you're creating a problem no matter who they are. You can't have people coming to you every couple weeks asking for money like you're a living bank.
  • NothingButTheTruth
    edited August 2016
    Options

The goal should be to set others up so they can provide for themselves...not for you to fund their lifestyle forever.

Says who? Maybe that's YOUR goal or belief, but I understand that you can't force ANYONE to live by your philosophies, especially elders.

I'm here to help them do them and that's it. If they want to be a doctor, we can talk about med school, if they just want a nice car, we can do that too. If they just want to lay low, we can work something out.

I'm not going to force my beliefs on my close ones and add more conditions to my assistance because I'm the one who happens to have the money. That's ridiculous. If I have it to give, they'll be the first on the list with no added stipulations.
  • NothingButTheTruth
    Options

what?

but you saying yes or no can be viewed as selfish and needing to meet your standards. so, you need to be convinced into why you should share?

I've always been that way, even when I didn't have anything to give, so it would be nothing new. Everyone I would help already knows they need to come correct when talking to me.