Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Eminem
    5 Grand wrote: »
    Stew wrote: »
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    Em ain't ? hip hop

Do y'all not remember his subject matter?

If you can relate to Em you're ? in the head.

If you think Drake is more "Hip-Hop" than Em then you're not Hip-Hop. I'll be glad to explain this if you like.

Please explain
    @5 Grand does it bother u that your poll didn't turn out the way u hoped? Let's talk about it

I didn't "hope" anything. I don't care for either artist but I'm curious to think what everybody else thinks.

Seems like Drake is where Em was 10 years ago.

Drake is a privileged child that didn't necessarily have to "work" for anything. I'm not gonna discredit his "hustle" to get where he's at but he's a Jew, he had money. Em on the other hand literally had to earn his respect from the bottom, cause back then we cared about who got into this Hip Hop thing(go figure @ u "im black" guys), u couldn't be no regular ass Joe Blow. Yes, he's white which basically got him nowhere in the rap game at first. Then he did the battling, grinding at the Hip Hop spots and u know the rest. How is he not "Hip-Hop" ?
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Em ain't ? hip hop

If you think Drake is more "Hip-Hop" than Em then you're not Hip-Hop. I'll be glad to explain this if you like.

Please explain
    @5 Grand does it bother u that your poll didn't turn out the way u hoped? Let's talk about it

I didn't "hope" anything. I don't care for either artist but I'm curious to think what everybody else thinks.

Drake is a privileged child that didn't necessarily have to "work" for anything. I'm not gonna discredit his "hustle" to get where he's at but he's a Jew, he had money. Em on the other hand literally had to earn his respect from the bottom, cause back then we cared about who got into this Hip Hop thing(go figure @ u "im black" guys), u couldn't be no regular ass Joe Blow. Yes, he's white which basically got him nowhere in the rap game at first. Then he did the battling, grinding at the Hip Hop spots and u know the rest. How is he not "Hip-Hop" ?

What you said makes perfect sense, but that doesn't make him any more or less "Hip Hop".

When I think of Hip Hop I think of the 4 elements, breaks and beats, Boom Bap beats, DJing, etc. Eminem doesn't rap over "Hip Hop" beats imo. Neither does Drake.

Perhaps Eminem was the underdog at one point, but that's not what the word "Hip Hop" means to me.
  • Stew
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Eminem
    Em ain't ? hip hop

Please explain

Drake is a privileged child that didn't necessarily have to "work" for anything. I'm not gonna discredit his "hustle" to get where he's at but he's a Jew, he had money. Em on the other hand literally had to earn his respect from the bottom, cause back then we cared about who got into this Hip Hop thing, u couldn't be no regular ass Joe Blow. Yes, he's white which basically got him nowhere in the rap game at first. Then he did the battling, grinding at the Hip Hop spots and u know the rest. How is he not "Hip-Hop" ?

What you said makes perfect sense, but that doesn't make him any more or less "Hip Hop".

When I think of Hip Hop I think of the 4 elements, breaks and beats, Boom Bap beats, DJing, etc. Eminem doesn't rap over "Hip Hop" beats imo. Neither does Drake.

Perhaps Eminem was the underdog at one point, but that's not what the word "Hip Hop" means to me.

Wait. Dr Dre isn't Hip Hop? This is a yes or no question, no buts.
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Eminem
    I respect Em, especially when he could actually rap, but out of his whole discography I might ? with like 15 songs total.

I don't respect Drake, especially cause he can't rap all that well and has a ghostwriter. Out of his whole Discorgraphy I ? with like zero songs total.

Metrosexual simp ? music.
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    Em ain't ? hip hop

Please explain

Drake is a privileged child that didn't necessarily have to "work" for anything. I'm not gonna discredit his "hustle" to get where he's at but he's a Jew, he had money. Em on the other hand literally had to earn his respect from the bottom, cause back then we cared about who got into this Hip Hop thing, u couldn't be no regular ass Joe Blow. Yes, he's white which basically got him nowhere in the rap game at first. Then he did the battling, grinding at the Hip Hop spots and u know the rest. How is he not "Hip-Hop" ?

When Dre was producing NWA he sampled from breaks and beats. Everything from EZ Duz It, Straight Outta Compton and even No One Can Do It Better was the West Coast version of what cats were doing in New York (sampling rock and soul records). But starting from ? his style was more G-Funk which is sonically different than, say, Criminal Minded or Paid In Full (or Illmatic).

As far as the beats he gave Eminem, I wouldn't consider those "Hip Hop" beats in the traditional sense". They're more "rap" beats. There's a distinct difference between "Rap Music" and traditional "Hip Hop".

Granted times have changed and certain styles are either old or they don't sell units, but I think we can all agree that since Hip Hop started in New York and branched out, if you were going to call a certain style "traditional Hip Hop" it wouldn't be ? or SSLP.
  • Stew
    Options
    Eminem
    Em ain't ? hip hop

Please explain

When Dre was producing NWA he sampled from breaks and beats. Everything from EZ Duz It, Straight Outta Compton and even No One Can Do It Better was the West Coast version of what cats were doing in New York (sampling rock and soul records). But starting from ? his style was more G-Funk which is sonically different than, say, Criminal Minded or Paid In Full (or Illmatic).

As far as the beats he gave Eminem, I wouldn't consider those "Hip Hop" beats in the traditional sense". They're more "rap" beats. There's a distinct difference between "Rap Music" and traditional "Hip Hop".

Granted times have changed and certain styles are either old or they don't sell units, but I think we can all agree that since Hip Hop started in New York and branched out, if you were going to call a certain style "traditional Hip Hop" it wouldn't be ? or SSLP.

Would u consider this a "Hip Hop" beat? :joy:

https://youtu.be/LSxtNd_ja6I
  • grYmes
    grYmes Members Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Eminem
    Em ain't ? hip hop

Please explain

Just stop man. It's HIP HOP. It all falls under the one umbrella no matter what genre or subgenre or whatever way the music sounds. I don't ? with Drake like that but even I can agree that what he does is apart of hip hop culture for better or worse.

Just cuz the ? don't sound like it was made in some ? ass Bronx basement in '89 doesn't mean it's not hip hop.
  • macadonwoo
    macadonwoo Members Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Eminem
    Anyone picking Drake is just a racist ? , which I don't understand cause Marshall mote black then Drake ? ass
  • murdap
    murdap Members Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Drake
    eminem is dripping in wack sauce. Imagine Drake on all those beats Dr Dre wasted by giving them to Eminem.
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    Em ain't ? hip hop

Please explain

Well yeah that's a Hip Hop beat but its not produced by Dre. That beat was from a song by Black Moon that came out in 1993 called "I Got'cha Open" (original version). But yeah, at least we have an agreement on what a traditional, Boom Bap Hip Hop beat sounds like.

• 5 Grand
    Options
    grYmes wrote: »

Just stop man. It's HIP HOP. It all falls under the one umbrella no matter what genre or subgenre or whatever way the music sounds. I don't ? with Drake like that but even I can agree that what he does is apart of hip hop culture for better or worse.

Just cuz the ? don't sound like it was made in some ? ass Bronx basement in '89 doesn't mean it's not hip hop.

That's the problem. The media and the machine have you convinced/brainwashed that "its all Hip Hop".

Its not all Hip Hop. Without getting overly technical, there's a difference between Hip Hop and Rap Music.

I think the best way to explain it is by watching the movie Wildstyle and then watching the movie Breakin (or Rappin).
    Hip Hop is an organic thing that comes from the soul, Rap Music is something that corporate executives manufacture in the board room.

When Bobby Shmurda was dancing on the table, that wasn't Hip Hop, that was corporate America putting Hip Hop in checkmate.
  • murdap
    murdap Members Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Drake
    "Last name Ever First name Greatest like a sprained ankle boy i aint nothing to play with" Drake

Eminem had the worst verse on the whole song even ? ass kanye kardashian went harder.

4 Eminem
    3 Kanye Kardashian
    2 Wayne
    1 Drizzy
  • grYmes
    grYmes Members Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Eminem

That's the problem. The media and the machine have you convinced/brainwashed that "its all Hip Hop".

Its not all Hip Hop. Without getting overly technical, there's a difference between Hip Hop and Rap Music.

I think the best way to explain it is by watching the movie Wildstyle and then watching the movie Breakin (or Rappin).
    Hip Hop is an organic thing that comes from the soul, Rap Music is something that corporate executives manufacture in the board room.

When Bobby Shmurda was dancing on the table, that wasn't Hip Hop, that was corporate America putting Hip Hop in checkmate.

gtfohwtbs.gif

When Bobby Shmerda did that it was cooning. I thought that was established. Anyways... So by your logic pretty much anything that doesn't look or sound like it came from the New York Tri State area isn't "true" hip hop. ? isn't the whole concept of hip hop taking something and making it your own? Yes the corporations eventually get a hold of ? but also eventually something new comes out as far as a style of beats or rhymes & the cycle begins again.

Can't use NY (or pure hip hop, whatever the ? that is) as an excuse. Russell Simmons set the table for this ? but at the end of the day he behind a lot of the ? you deem corporate. What the ? does it matter anyways? It all has roots somewhere. Stop over analyzing ? & just enjoy the culture for what it is.
  • Stew
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Eminem
    Em ain't ? hip hop

Please explain

Well yeah that's a Hip Hop beat but its not produced by Dre. That beat was from a song by Black Moon that came out in 1993 called "I Got'cha Open" (original version). But yeah, at least we have an agreement on what a traditional, Boom Bap Hip Hop beat sounds like.

I know where it came from son. U said Em don't rap on "Hip Hop" beats, in reality, he can rap on anything( I just proved that), so what's the comparison here. Drake can't do what Em does and thats a fact.
  • supergangster
    supergangster Members Posts: 8,872 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
  • 5 Grand
    Options

gtfohwtbs.gif

When Bobby Shmerda did that it was cooning. I thought that was established. Anyways... So by your logic pretty much anything that doesn't look or sound like it came from the New York Tri State area isn't "true" hip hop. ? isn't the whole concept of hip hop taking something and making it your own? Yes the corporations eventually get a hold of ? but also eventually something new comes out as far as a style of beats or rhymes & the cycle begins again.

Can't use NY (or pure hip hop, whatever the ? that is) as an excuse. Russell Simmons set the table for this ? but at the end of the day he behind a lot of the ? you deem corporate. What the ? does it matter anyways? It all has roots somewhere. Stop over analyzing ? & just enjoy the culture for what it is.

This is what I consider "real, true, authentic Hip Hop"

Madison Square Garden Freestyle - Shyhiem, Scoob, Biggie, 2Pac, Big Daddy Kane

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbsElc1b6Is

^^^ The reason that's "real Hip Hop" is because you have a DJ mixing breaks while the MCs rhyme. The further you deviate from a DJ mixing breaks while MCs rhyme it becomes less Hip Hop. For marketing reasons people use samplers and computers to keep a sample/break going because it sounds more professional than a DJ. And people go to recording studios to make rap songs rather than freestyling in the park but just to be clear, when I say "real Hip Hop" that Madison Square Garden freestyle is what I'm referring to.

As far as Russell Simmons goes, he was around from day one. He used to go to the park jams in The Bronx so he gets a pass but as soon as he and Run DMC made Walk This Way the cat was out of the bag so to speak.

I'd give Walk This Way a C+ so it passes, but thats not what I consider "real Hip Hop".
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    nujerz84 wrote: »

Yeah that song is cool, but its too bad he doesn't make more songs like that on his albums.
  • Stew
    Options
    Eminem
    nujerz84 wrote: »

Yeah that song is cool, but its too bad he doesn't make more songs like that on his albums.

Somebody needs to ask him that. a lot of us have been wondering why.
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Drake
    macadonwoo wrote: »
    Anyone picking Drake is just a racist ? , which I don't understand cause Marshall mote black then Drake ? ass

Drake is black he doesn't have to wear durags for no reason like em
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Drake
    Karl. wrote: »
    Drakes voice is too ? .

If em was black and rapped with that voice his ass would still be on 8mile drinking lead. Fact. His voice been sounding ? and annoying as ? probably one of my biggest gripes with him. Sonically eminem sounds like ? . IMO y'all just ran with the dre cosign 20 yrs ago and jumped out the window but that's a debate for another thread.
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • supergangster
    supergangster Members Posts: 8,872 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Drake
    Hip hop to me is lyrics when you get that Great feeling like wow. when it means something

A beat by Rza or premier with krs one, Nas or Rakim is Def hip hop

Hip hop aint when you talkin ? bout your own blood
    Hip hop aint trap or singin.
  • Revolver Ocelot
    Revolver Ocelot Members Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Eminem

By your logic a lot of Run-DMC wouldn't be considered "real hip-hop" cuz it was heavily influenced by rock music or ATCQ cuz a lot there stuff was heavily jazz influenced and not the boom bap sound you claim to be "real hip hop".