'Ghostbusters' Heading For $70M-Plus Loss, Sequel Unlikely

Options
1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
ghostbusters_main_h_2016.jpg

Confronted by tepid box office for the reboot, the studio will instead focus on animated spinoffs.

Immediately upon the opening of Ghostbusters in mid-July, top Sony executives boldly declared a sequel to Paul Feig's all-female reboot of Ivan Reitman's 1984 classic was a given. "While nothing has been officially announced yet, there's no doubt in my mind it will happen," said Rory Bruer, president of worldwide distribution at Sony.

That was the studio's last public mention of a sequel. As of Aug. 7, Ghostbusters had earned just under $180 million at the global box office, including $117 million domestic. The film still hasn't opened in a few markets, including France, Japan and Mexico, but box-office experts say it will have trouble getting to $225 million despite a hefty net production budget of $144 million plus a big marketing spend. The studio has said break-even would be $300 million.

Sony hardly is alone in suffering from audience rejection of sequels this summer. But film chief Tom Rothman and his team, along with partner Village Roadshow, had high hopes for launching a live-action Ghostbusters "universe." Now they are preparing for steep losses (think $70 million-plus) and an uncertain future for the franchise.

Sony won't comment on whether it has banished a sequel to the netherworld, but perhaps tellingly, a rep says the studio actively is pursuing an animated Ghostbusters feature that could hit theaters in 2019 and an animated TV series, Ghostbusters: Ecto Force, which is eyeing an early 2018 bow. Both are being guided by Reitman, who firmly is back in charge of the Ghostbusters empire via Ghost Corps., a subsidiary with a mandate to expand the brand across platforms. (It was former Sony film chief Amy Pascal who first embraced Feig's vision for the live-action reboot, not Reitman or Rothman.) "We're very proud of the bold movie Paul Feig made, which critics and audiences loved," a studio rep tells THR. "It has enlivened a 30-year-old brand and put it into the modern zeitgeist. As a result, we have many ideas in the works to further exploit the Ghostbusters universe."

Feig hasn't said whether he'll return. Stars Melissa McCarthy, Kristen Wiig, Leslie Jones and Kate McKinnon are said to be signed for two potential sequels, and initially they said they were game. But now? "Ghostbusters is on ice until further notice," says box-office analyst Jeff Bock. "I just can't fathom the creative talents behind it — Feig, McCarthy, Wiig, etc. — slogging out another one when the reception to the first one was so mediocre."

Sony disputes the amount of the potential loss, insisting that revenue streams from merchandising and such attractions as a new Ghostbusters exhibit at Madame Tussauds and a theme park ride in Dubai will help defray any deficit. The studio also notes that the number of people renting the 1984 film has soared over the summer.

"This loss calculation is way off," says the Sony rep. "With multiple revenue streams, including consumer products, gaming, location-based entertainment, continued international rollout, and huge third-party promotional partnerships that mitigated costs, the bottom line, even before co-financing, is not remotely close to that number."

Comments

• jay83
    jay83 Members Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    For all the hate it got I enjoyed ghostbusters more than I did Bvs, Suicide Squad, and Independence day Resurgence. at least the first half of the ghostbusters movie anyway.

Independence Day Resurgence should've got the hate that Ghost busters received.

I would prob say the movie with the most hype hype that prob lived up to the expectations was Captain America: Civil War.

• CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They hope the woman thing would cover the cracks. Film is trash and with how dope TV is its difficult to get ? to the cinema
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hate that they ruined this and Independence Day. My childhood... Ruined
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It wasnt even that bad.

People act like the OG was a masterpiece.

? Sigourney Weaver having ghosts in her refrigerator and ?

http://youtu.be/NFZPhf5p-BU
  • white sympathizer
    white sympathizer Members Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Good, it was a piece of feminist trash, hope sonebody got fired for that trash
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • LordZuko
    LordZuko Members Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    GB failed because they [SONY] tried to capitalize on this recent feminist wave BUT failed to realize that males are the target demographic of these types of movies and SONY worked real hard to alienate their core audience. The feminists that they pandered to didn't even support the movie. ? was forgotten about after the 2nd weekend.
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Meanwhile...

3739l5k3v3q5.gif

Bill Murry cosigned the remake and played a character in it.

If anything Harold Ramis was prolly spinning in his grave after they remade his ? . He was the one who wrote the OG
  • trilladelic
    trilladelic Members Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    TheGOAT wrote: »
    Meanwhile...

3739l5k3v3q5.gif

Rumor has it they threaten to sue if he refused to be in the remake..
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    LordZuko wrote: »
    GB failed because they [SONY] tried to capitalize on this recent feminist wave BUT failed to realize that males are the target demographic of these types of movies and SONY worked real hard to alienate their core audience. The feminists that they pandered to didn't even support the movie. ? was forgotten about after the 2nd weekend.

This. Ghostbusters has a audience of mainly males. Males who would have loved to see another film but instead got this.
  • Revolver Ocelot
    Revolver Ocelot Members Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Meanwhile...

3739l5k3v3q5.gif

How?

Murry's been turning down GB projects for years now. If they were gonna sue they could have sued him for not doing GB 3.
  • TheNightKing
    TheNightKing Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    $300 million to break even? Finance took the L on this one. I don't understand how you approve a budget like this without some kind of confidence you'll get it back.
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Meanwhile...

3739l5k3v3q5.gif

How?

Murry's been turning down GB projects for years now. If they were gonna sue they could have sued him for not doing GB 3.

It was in one of those leaked emails from when North Korea hacked Sony.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    People keep bring up the fact that it was three women as if that was the major problem. I don't think that was really it though. I think the problem was more that the original had a cult following and they were expecting Sony to give them something that related to the thing they loved. Instead, Sony came out with something completely different. The Angry Video Game Nerd addressed this. He basically said that if Sony had done something as small as distinguishing the movie name more, he probably would have taken it better. But the way Sony went about it made it seem like they were trying to replace the first movie with this movie, and that's what ? him off.
  • vageneral08
    vageneral08 Members Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jay83 wrote: »
    For all the hate it got I enjoyed ghostbusters more than I did Bvs, Suicide Squad, and Independence day Resurgence. at least the first half of the ghostbusters movie anyway.

Independence Day Resurgence should've got the hate that Ghost busters received.

I would prob say the movie with the most hype hype that prob lived up to the expectations was Captain America: Civil War.

The ? is wrong with you?
  • vageneral08
    vageneral08 Members Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    People keep bring up the fact that it was three women as if that was the major problem. I don't think that was really it though. I think the problem was more that the original had a cult following and they were expecting Sony to give them something that related to the thing they loved. Instead, Sony came out with something completely different. The Angry Video Game Nerd addressed this. He basically said that if Sony had done something as small as distinguishing the movie name more, he probably would have taken it better. But the way Sony went about it made it seem like they were trying to replace the first movie with this movie, and that's what ? him off.

Actually having an all female cast is part of the problem I understand they tried to twist it up but they failed on that.....it's just somethings you don't do and that was one of them
  • BangEm_Bart
    BangEm_Bart Members Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Meanwhile...

3739l5k3v3q5.gif

How?

He probably did it because him and Melissa McCarthy did St. Vincent together ( great movie btw).
  • K_Fisher
    K_Fisher Members Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah it was doomed from the start they tried shoving that feminist agenda down our throats and it rightfully backfired.What is with radical liberal overtone in some of these reboots and changing of original characters and formulas?
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    it would've been a better idea if they made a reboot based on the real ghost busters cartoon. just hire a bunch of young actors in their late 20's who resemble the original cast some what, make egon a blonde and ray stantz a redhead have them bust ghost, that were featured in the animated series with one big bad behind the whole thing and have slimer hanging around the firehouse as a mascot and voila you have a hit. but no they had to attempt to be different and controversial by having an all woman cast of barely funny comediannes.
  • Nomad1
    Nomad1 Members Posts: 309 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Hollywood studios stay ? up. Feminist and ? agenda ruined decent remakes. Mermaid GB & even Star Wars. True creativity died in the 80's
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Angeles1son85
    Angeles1son85 Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wonder if they still gonna try that all female.ocean eleven movie