How Come Mid 90s NY Rap Didn't Sell?

Options

Comments

• BenjaminE
    BenjaminE Members Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BenjaminE wrote: »
    This is part of a @5grand series of threads where he poses a question with an obvious answer to make it look as if you are admitting that since west coast music was more popular than east coast boom bap with the casual music buying public that boom bap is some how more intellectual and legit than music from any other region...

I'm from the west and we hold old school hip hop in high regards... get off your isolated high horse...

I didn't know you were from the turf. Where on the west coast are you from?

? ...
  • BenjaminE
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    This is part of a @5grand series of threads where he poses a question with an obvious answer to make it look as if you are admitting that since west coast music was more popular than east coast boom bap with the casual music buying public that boom bap is some how more intellectual and legit than music from any other region...

I'm from the west and we hold old school hip hop in high regards... get off your isolated high horse...

How old are you?

Do you even remember the mid 90s?

I was born in 83... yes, I remember the mid 90s...
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

How old are you?

So you were a teen. You can probably explain it better than I can. I was in my 20s and we used to laugh at West Coast rappers. We thought New York rappers could rap circles around West Coast rappers.
  • BenjaminE
    Options

How old are you?

So you were a teen. You can probably explain it better than I can. I was in my 20s and we used to laugh at West Coast rappers. We thought New York rappers could rap circles around West Coast rappers.

It's that we ? I have a problem with... stop speaking for a whole coast and generalizing...

Tell you what... I told you I'd take your turntables off your hands for 40... I'll throw in another $10 if you use it to subscribe to Netflix, take your 5 grand kids to the library and watch The Get Down... thank me later...
  • saracenwire
    saracenwire Members Posts: 523 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't think anyone is disputing the fact that the west was more popular at that point, only that new york was more successful then you are giving them credit for. Wu-tang went double platinum with their first album, LL cool J was selling two mill on every album, Biggie went 5 times platinum with his first album which came out in 94, and thats not even factoring in the beastie boys who were massive stars. To make it seem like New York was a non factor is just false.
  • nycest_1
    nycest_1 Members Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mid 90s rap is some of the highest selling ? . i think the lazy threadstarter means early 90s
  • a_list
    a_list Members Posts: 4,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    ? sold, it just wasnt going multi plat etc.....Really cant call it though...I would say the gritty sampling but 36 Chambers, Tical, Onyx, Naughty By Nature {Jersey} and a few others tell me otherwise....Westcoast sound was just in at that time...
  • nycest_1
    nycest_1 Members Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    a_list wrote: »
    ? sold, it just wasnt going multi plat etc.....Really cant call it though...I would say the gritty sampling but 36 Chambers, Tical, Onyx, Naughty By Nature {Jersey} and a few others tell me otherwise....Westcoast sound was just in at that time...

most of what you listed is early 90s though.
  • a_list
    a_list Members Posts: 4,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nycest_1 wrote: »
    a_list wrote: »

most of what you listed is early 90s though.

B the albums I said were out around the same time as the albums 5 said....Dude Went from Midnight Marauders to Reasonable Doubt thats 93 till 96 but left out multi-platinum albums Like RTD, IWW, The Score, and Tical and 36 Chambers....36 Chambers and ? came out within a month of each other....Bacdafucup came out not too long after the Chronic..
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm trying to figure out why the man most responsible for the west being as successful as it was and the whole sound that this fool claims you can only get ? and money too decided to work with east coast artists and put together a label filled with east coast artists
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think the West Coast also had the good fortune of movie exposure. Dre came out with Snoop off of a soundtrack and it only got bigger from there. Dre was just a huge producer that resonated with people and everybody was basically using his sound. It wasn't the same when he left and he was still moving units beyond the West Coast sound. A person like Coolio was in that MC Hammer lane and was more mainstream. Was others selling like that on the west? What was MC Eiht pushing on his debut? The thing that bugs me out is how the West only gets credit for the Funk sound when EPMD sampled it heavy and created a group that spawned Red Man who also had that funky sound. I prefered the music of the mid 80s to early 90s but only LL sold during that time. They were getting stadium dollars though. NWA was part of that sound and they kept it going into the early to mid 90s with the same energy.
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I'll go bump sun rises in the east in my new truck right now and get some ? man shut the ? up with that delusional ?

who?? hahahha

? out here gettin that geriatric ? ! lol
  • CapitalB
    Options
    I'm trying to figure out why the man most responsible for the west being as successful as it was and the whole sound that this fool claims you can only get ? and money too decided to work with east coast artists and put together a label filled with east coast artists

who u talkin about?? Dre ? ass and that weak ass "been there done that ? !?" lol

yall listened to that ? !!

Dre ran to the east cause he was tired of gettin punked out this way.. changed his whole MO sound and everything.. ? was scared straight. lol
  • its....JOHN B
    Options
    Foh in reality more white people were in to g funk therefore more record sales, close thread
  • its....JOHN B
    Options
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't think anyone is disputing the fact that the west was more popular at that point, only that new york was more successful then you are giving them credit for. Wu-tang went double platinum with their first album, LL cool J was selling two mill on every album, Biggie went 5 times platinum with his first album which came out in 94, and thats not even factoring in the beastie boys who were massive stars. To make it seem like New York was a non factor is just false.

Those sales figures are after the fact. Wu Tang's first album went gold at the time. LL Cool J might have gone plat but he didn't go double plat until much later. And Biggie is generally credited with "bringing the East back" but Ready to Die only sold double plat at the time. It didn't sell 5 mil until much later.
  • CapitalB
    Options
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rw3K8pZnTNY

Bumping this ? now, ? is flooding in

the ? !!? hahahah

look i got an older cousin.. 4yrs my senior and i aint go front him.. he was on Tupac loooong before he blew up and he put me on to Outkast back in the day.. ? was a music head..

? use to listen to this type of ? and we use to clown the ? out if him..

and guess what???
    guess who out of all the boys in my family the only one who grew up to not get no money and no ? ??! hahahahaha

he probably know this ? word for word. lol
  • its....JOHN B
    Options

the ? !!? hahahah

look i got an older cousin.. 4yrs my senior and i aint go front him.. he was on Tupac loooong before he blew up and he put me on to Outkast back in the day.. ? was a music head..

and guess what???
    guess who out of all the boys in my family the only one who grew up to not get no money and no ? ??! hahahahaha

Character flaw on your part...kinda like trying to live a rapper lifestyle when you're pushing 40....
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Somebody in they feelings
  • CapitalB
    Options

the ? !!? hahahah

and guess what???

Character flaw on your part...kinda like trying to live a rapper lifestyle when you're pushing 40....

funny..
    i thought it was the other way around..

rappers flowin my lifestyle seein as they the ones broke!!? :sunglasses: