Hiphop in 2016

Options
D.Original
D.Original Members Posts: 734 ✭✭✭✭
Will 2016 have a strong finish? So far the year has been underwhelming. Not bc lack of quality but quanity. Nobodys droppin ? this year. Im lookin forward to isaiah rashad next month but beside that i aint heard of nobody else droppin. ? somebody gotta come thru in the 4th.

Comments

• Preach2Teach
    Preach2Teach Members Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We need Nas, Em, Andre 3000 and Action Bronson to drop their albums.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    Since like 2006 the heavyweight rappers tend to drop albums in the 4th quarter. For the most part. I hate this trend but it's understandable.
  • genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Its all about underground and the wicked ? .
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5th Letter wrote: »
    The Recipe wrote: »

We really need a infusion of new talent.

Damn near most of the mainstream rappers sound similar. I miss the days when most artists had distinctive styles.

I disagree somewhat

Cole
    Kendrick
    Sean
    Drake
    Future
    Gates
    Jay
    Nas
    Wayne
    Tip

One may delve into the others style or a certain style but theres a distinct difference in all of em

And there's always something to look forward to with underground artists
  • trilladelic
    trilladelic Members Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Last couple of years has been pretty good for hip hop..

I think it's finally found its balancing point..
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options

Damn near most of the mainstream rappers sound similar. I miss the days when most artists had distinctive styles.

I disagree somewhat

Cole
    Kendrick
    Sean
    Drake
    Future
    Gates
    Jay
    Nas
    Wayne
    Tip

One may delve into the others style or a certain style but theres a distinct difference in all of em

So there aren't a bunch of mumble mouth rappers or rappers struggle singing/harmonizing? How is that not similar?
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Desiigner
    Future
    Young thug
    Lil yachty
    Fetty wap
    Ferg
    21 savage

Drake
    Tory lanez
    Bryson tiller

Wale
    Sean
    Cole
    Chance the rapper

Kendrick
    Badass

If I was to group them more or less. There ain't enough unique styles in the mainstream at the end of the day good thread idea though
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Reks dropping a new album next month. So I can't complain. And I think roc marciano is dropping on with alchemist
  • _God_
    _God_ Members Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We need unreleased biggavel from 08
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options

I disagree somewhat

Cole
    Kendrick
    Sean
    Drake
    Future
    Gates
    Jay
    Nas
    Wayne
    Tip

So there aren't a bunch of mumble mouth rappers or rappers struggle singing/harmonizing? How is that not similar?

Future the only one mainstream , maybe fetty wap

Lmaoooo at thinking lil yahty or young thug goin anything more than double cardboard
  • mrtdb
    mrtdb Members Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hip Hop is doing a hell of a lot better than R&B right now...

I actually don't think it's doing all that bad....We have Chance, Drake, J. Cole, Big Sean, Wale... <--all people who are more than capable lyricist when they want to be (Drake might have material written for him...I'm not 100% about him)

We have hype artists. Future, Desiigner, Young Thug, etc. (I don't really listen to them) <--- these people are important too...even in the 80s-90s not all the music was lyrical...there were hype tracks.

We need more competition in the game though...competition is what makes people improve. There's no real urgency from the people at the top of the game...because there's no real wolfpack at the bottom of the game threatening them. Look at Drake...dude's reached the point where he says whatever the ? he wants in a song and he knows its gonna blow up...because he knows no one else is dropping any music that will take away from his.
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Money is the reason why 90% of these guys do this so there ain't gonna be any competition
  • MarcusGarvey
    MarcusGarvey Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • D.Original
    Options
    I wasnt sayin the current state of hiphop is bad by any means. All im sayin is that so far its been a quiet year.
  • D.Original
    Options
    Last year kendrick joey n lupe all dropped first quarter.
  • NuffRespect
    NuffRespect Members Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    D.Original wrote: »
    I wasnt sayin the current state of hiphop is bad by any means. All im sayin is that so far its been a quiet year.

It is I pulled the plug on all modern day hip hop unless underground besides all that im all 80s n 90s
  • D.Original
    edited August 2016
    Options

It is I pulled the plug on all modern day hip hop unless underground besides all that im all 80s n 90s

So no love for tde j cole vince staples...? For the most part i agree tho...mainstream is ? these days but theres alot of good underground hiphop ou there. That elzhi album was probly my top pick of the year so far.
  • grYmes
    grYmes Members Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The year ain't lost yet... But it's felt like a real slow one. I usually compile lists at the end of each year for best/underrated/disappointing albums.
    2016 been a real ? with no real big quality albums yet. I'm still holding out hope tho.
  • lordstanley
    lordstanley Members Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Its all about underground and the wicked ? .

Yea bro. I was just thinking we need more of that wicked ? ...
  • NuffRespect
    NuffRespect Members Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

So no love for tde j cole vince staples...? For the most part i agree tho...mainstream is ? these days but theres alot of good underground hiphop ou there. That elzhi album was probly my top pick of the year so far.

Not my cup of tea but been rocking that Smiff N Wessun album u got as ya avatar as of late haha good ? head music if ya dig what im sayin my underground consists of Army of the pharaohs, vinnie paz, diabolic, apathy, snowgoons etc, but what I mostly rock is 80s/90s ?