Comments

• CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    BenjaminE wrote: »
    5 Grand wrote: »
    This is part of a @5grand series of threads where he poses a question with an obvious answer to make it look as if you are admitting that since west coast music was more popular than east coast boom bap with the casual music buying public that boom bap is some how more intellectual and legit than music from any other region...

I'm from the west and we hold old school hip hop in high regards... get off your isolated high horse...

How old are you?

Do you even remember the mid 90s?

I was born in 83... yes, I remember the mid 90s...

So you were a teen. You can probably explain it better than I can. I was in my 20s and we used to laugh at West Coast rappers. We thought New York rappers could rap circles around West Coast rappers.

funny..
    we use to laugh at East Coast rappers..

u ? wasnt havin no money..
    u ? wasnt gettin no ? ..

jus a bunch of ? huddled up havin sword fights and callin it a cypher or some ? . lol

yall ? was homies over hoes..
    we was "but we dont love these hoes" lol

Lol one of my good friend told me that same thing. Said he went to NY in the 90's for the first time and said he never seen so many hustlers in his life. He thought everybody was going to be on the train with back packs but instead saw brothas with foreign whips(always a NY thing) and bad as women from everywhere.

It's funny how times and perception is a ? . In the 70's and 80's NY was partying like a ? while cats in L.A was killing each other over rainbow colors.

"But I don't party and shake my butt, I leave that to the brothers with the funny haircuts"

"I don't wanna see no dancing I'm sick of that ? "

Got damn Cube, you at the party like this?:

Ice-Cube.jpg

Lighten up from time to time and have fun:

giphy.gif

? wasn't killing each other in the 70s and early 80s..
    and breaking came out looooooooong before house party..

oh wait.. u thought LA was all gangbangin?? lol

and nobody said NY ? wasn't getting money and having ? ..
    but them ? u speak of was loving the ? out of that WestCoast ? i can guarantee u that... and they damn sure wasn't playing that Jeru ? . lol

funny NY don't support they own like they do other regions seein as back then even though all the hate was commin out of NY all the albums was going IN to NY.. maybe y'all was jus buyin the ? to talk about how simple our ? was.. as well as the South. lol

Yea Kool Herc was going nuts over West coast music.

Didn't you think that if non NY albums was selling in NY that maybe NY wasn't hating as much as you think?

Edit add-on:

Did you seriously think that I thought House party invented breaking?

no, but u seriously thought we was out here not lettin loose havin a good time...

It's jokes b. You seriously thought the city that produced Harlem and the culture that spread faster than Islam wasn't doing fly ? ?

L.A shorties do be in line though. Yall beat the ? outta them girls.

"? what set you rep?" "Red bottom, claim you ? ? "

women_stressed-580x367.jpg

? i can't tell..
    its been all jokes on my end its y'all wit the feels..

and never said NY wasn't on fly ? ..
    i was jus sticking to the conversation.. its u ? that argue like females and can't stay on topic. lol
  • hiphop12345
    hiphop12345 Members Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Hows this for topic:

Why Dominoes or ? Papa John pizza sell more than real NY pizza or Chicago deep dish(non east coast bias)? Because the two latter ones are too ethnic.

Hear me out, outside of Def Jam, NY hip hop never really tried to market to white people. Avoiding endorsements, doing shows at the Apollo, very few wack ass colabs, being street in real life but making party music, etc. The West(only the west outsold the East for a period in the 90's, no where else) marketed its whole gangsta prosona. Dre went from not ? wit weed to making the Chronic. People actually thought Snoop and Cube were dangerous, etc. The Bay also didn't market to white kids and that's why The Bay never took off like L.A.

NY even in it's party scene was Black. Go watch the Bet label show on Uptown records. Listen to what Babyface said, "Andre wanted to market Ghetto extravagance, but we just wanted to market good music". That's why today if you played some New Jack Swing every Black person would go crazy and every white person would have a confused look on their face. Kinda like when Jay-z perform Streets is watching at his show today, you can immediately tell who been Jay fans vs if he perform ? in Paris. That's one thing I use to love about Hip Hop.

Why Reggae and Dance Hall can't do crazy numbers in the States outside of NY and now Miami. but it's huge all over the world? Well it's the same reason why the East coast acts sold more records overseas than the west, midwest and way more than the south.

Some things are just more marketable than others. Goodfellas flopped in the theaters, while Transformers do a Billy every time out..
  • CapitalB
    Options
    not reading all that ? but stopped reading @NY didnt market to white people..

as if we did!!?
    we touched on this earlier, maybe u shouldve been here, about how The West and South music is more authentic.. how our music is jus us bein us.. ? we aint marketing to white people but jus like everything else wit white people they jus love our style..

if anybody is tryin to sound a certain way for whatever demographic its YOU ? .. i can see yall artists now.. go into the studio.. study the encyclopedia, retainin none of the knowledge tho but jus for the sole purpose of picking up the verbiage.. then sit there and think of things U THINK people go like or say is tight..

if anyone is playin to an audience its yall..

vs a westcoast or south ? ? .. who's probably fresh out some mix broad's ? en route to the studio wit the top down smokin a blunt thinkin of how he's about to rap about his day..

if ? feel it they feel it..
    and if they dont.. its probably cause they aint ? ? ..gettin money and blowin big weed. lol
  • uncommonsense
    uncommonsense Members Posts: 475 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Wait a minute, you gonna slap me or him?

Re-read the post Brotha'.

I was shootin' the ? @hiphop12345 and he's right I wouldn't dare lay a finger on him. I tend to let my sister beat up hos then I'd bond her out after he pressed charges.
  • uncommonsense
    uncommonsense Members Posts: 475 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's a lot of cool NY/East coast posters on here but then you have these typical internet bias NY ? who act like we aint been to their state.

My ace is from BK but he moved to the H back and forth in Middle school. Thank ? I've been able to travel a few places and know the typical bias NY poster don't speak for all.

If I didn't know no better, I'd hate all yall, lol. AZ, Tragedy Khadafi, Mega, Styles and plenty others still in my top 20 though.
  • hiphop12345
    edited August 2016
    Options

as if we did!!?
    we touched on this earlier, maybe u shouldve been here, about how The West and South music is more authentic.. how our music is jus us bein us.. ? we aint marketing to white people but jus like everything else wit white people they jus love our style..

if anybody is tryin to sound a certain way for whatever demographic its YOU ? .. i can see yall artists now.. go into the studio.. study the encyclopedia, retainin none of the knowledge tho but jus for the sole purpose of picking up the verbiage.. then sit there and think of things U THINK people go like or say is tight..

vs a westcoast or south ? ? .. who's probably fresh out some mix broad's ? en route to the studio wit the top down smokin a blunt thinkin of how he's about to rap about his day..

and if they dont.. its probably cause they aint ? ? ..gettin money and blowin big weed. lol
    It's a easy read.

White kids was eating up that gangsta ? . The labels certainly market those records to suburbia.

Let me see, what song do you think would sell better to a white kid 'Self destruction' or 'Anit nothing but a G thang'?

Also stop including the south. The south wish it did half the numbers the east did back in the 90's. I don't get how the music is more authentic when say Death Row was marketing gangsta rappers but were drinking ? and getting herbed by Suge? John Forte was more street than them guys.

UGK wasn't doing any shows in London, South Africa, etc in the 90's. They were local so the East won the international competition. Non East coast music appeal to the U.S more, and East Coast music appeal to the world more.

P.S

Blunts are from the East Coast.
  • CapitalB
    edited August 2016
    Options

as if we did!!?

It's a easy read.

White kids was eating up that gangsta ? . The labels certainly market those records to suburbia.

Let me see, what song do you think would sell better to a white kid 'Self destruction' or 'Anit nothing but a G thang'?

Also stop including the south. The south wish it did half the numbers the east did back in the 90's. I don't get how the music is more authentic when say Death Row was marketing gangsta rappers but were drinking ? and getting herbed by Suge? John Forte was more street than them guys.

UGK wasn't doing any shows in London, South Africa, etc in the 90's. They were local so the East won the international competition. Non East coast music appeal to the U.S more, and East Coast music appeal to the world more.

P.S

Blunts are from the East Coast.

im sure it is an easy read..
    its jus that this convo has kind of ran its couese.. thay and my workweek has begun.. dont have the same energy i had the other day when i was jus chillin usin yall to help pass the day..

but now??

its back to these ? and money. hahahahahaha
  • hiphop12345
    edited August 2016
    Options
    It's a lot of cool NY/East coast posters on here but then you have these typical internet bias NY ? who act like we aint been to their state.

My ace is from BK but he moved to the H back and forth in Middle school. Thank ? I've been able to travel a few places and know the typical bias NY poster don't speak for all.

If I didn't know no better, I'd hate all yall, lol. AZ, Tragedy Khadafi, Mega, Styles and plenty others still in my top 20 though.

A cat from Texas talking about bias. Smh

Texas-and-not-Texas.jpg

Everywhere have it's biases.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jeru the damagja was wack af but why y'all using him as some example of ny hip hop? Dude was c list
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options
    Mafioso rap >>>>> ? dressing like messicans
  • BenjaminE
    BenjaminE Members Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    AggyAF wrote: »
    Jeru the damagja was wack af but why y'all using him as some example of ny hip hop? Dude was c list

Didn't you hear? He's the east coast Too Short...
  • NuffRespect
    NuffRespect Members Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Anybody that think Jeru is wack need to wack themselves
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options
    T. Sanford wrote: »
    Sometimes I'll randomly post 1-4 bars from someone like 8ball & MJG then someone will be like "how are these bars nice?". But I posted it because it was some real shss that hit the soul

Y'all non east coasters don't apply this logical uniformally tho
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options
    Also y'all criticize any east coast rapper that doesn't do boom bap but apparently y'all don't/never liked boom bap

Which is it?
  • hiphop12345
    Options
    Also y'all criticize any east coast rapper that doesn't do boom bap but apparently y'all don't/never liked boom bap

Which is it?

It's like White people hating on Black people but copying the style.
  • BenjaminE
    BenjaminE Members Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Anybody that think Jeru is wack need to wack themselves

That Too Short comment was sarcasm, but Jeru never moved me as much as say Pharoahe Monch...

Which is it?

Who? Me?

Which is it?

It's like White people hating on Black people but copying the style.

We're white now?

Kiss my Nike Cortez... Ya'll ? eat the poo poo...
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options
    qd3 wrote: »
    easy answer, The Chronic, end of story. It shifted to the west, and then to the south and it's still there.

Nah, it's not that simple.

You gotta remember nyc ain't like every other city in the nation. Nyc style, slang, and music wasn't relatable to everyone outside of the city with the exception of maybe a few people.

The south is more uniformed when it comes to music and styles. For example if I'm from Memphis and ? from Texas is dropping music. I would relate to Texas ? more than Nyc ? just based off geography alone. Similar environment and experiences. Same goes with the west. ? on the west was making powerful music, don't get me wrong.

So if I'm from Arizona and Cali is putting out fire music. I'm gonna gravitate towards what's familiar to me.

It's 9 million people in Nyc. So many different cultures. I know West Indian people who don't listen to rap. Asian people who don't listen to rap. Etc etc. you factor all that in. And you could understand why those artists weren't going gold or platinum.

NYC is whole nother beast

@qd3

You make a strong point but the North East relate to NY. Pretty much from VA to Boston or Quebec is NY strongest markets. Then Florida, LA, and in the past Atlanta. I also know New Yorkers who didn't listen to rap.

I always thought that this was interesting. VA is southern but has always been linked to ny hip hop and r&b more than southern rap IMO maybe due to I-95

Also NC...damn near all their artists are boom bap or NYC influenced
  • AggieLean.
    AggieLean. Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    NC & VA do love them some New York. I remember when I was in school in NC they were trying to call themselves the Middle East instead of the south lol. Real south starts in SC lol
  • smp4life
    smp4life Members Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    T. Sanford wrote: »
    aneed123 wrote: »
    The reality is the west and South's rap sounded like music and has soul to it.... in comparison to that boom bap head phone music

? C got game from his stepfather who was a musician.

He rapped
    "most of this rap ? is just noise
    "But if you put some music in it, you'll get rich boy
    That's why I stay up in the studio, up all night
    I ? with live musicians to get the groove right"

Hearing dope bars back to back is nice but like Krit said "If it can't touch my soul then I can't listen to it"

True. Dre and Quik and cats like that were using a lot of session musicians instead of just cutting up samples.
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I brought him up jokingly because Jeru more than likely is the last rapper you would be bumping when you're trying to pull ? , but after the blatant disrespect I was trying to give him his props because I do like his ? , but in reality he's probably not even in my top 40
  • a_list
    a_list Members Posts: 4,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn ? still at it....Yo for all the flack that Boom Bap is catching, them cats were able to tour the country....? prolly still touring.....lol
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I brought him up jokingly because Jeru more than likely is the last rapper you would be bumping when you're trying to pull ? , but after the blatant disrespect I was trying to give him his props because I do like his ? , but in reality he's probably not even in my top 40

Yeah Jeru might not be my favorite MC but his first two albums are classics.

Truth be told I haven't heard his later albums.
  • Listencloser
    Listencloser Members Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    During the height of the Westcoast G Funk era there were 20 signed NYC artist with gold records for every mainstream westcoast artist. Please stop this madness. Why do you think DEF jam signed Warren G and not many other West Coast artist then drop him like a brick the second he started to play out?
  • a_list
    a_list Members Posts: 4,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cain wrote: »
    a_list wrote: »
    Damn ? still at it....Yo for all the flack that Boom Bap is catching, them cats were able to tour the country....? prolly still touring.....lol

Of course they're touring ? in here popping their ? . All these acts from both coast are out here still getting money only the fans are biased ? . East had a run, West had a run now the South got it. It will come back around like everything else.

Some have said that they were really caught up in that East vs West ? , but over 20 years later that ? shouldnt be so apparent...lol Yo, the craziest ? tho, ? was bashing NY for the first like 8 pages @hiphop12345 comes in clapping back and now he's the bias hater...yo only on the IC..lol