Gabby Douglas Teared Up In Interview, Cried In Hallway Due To Social Media Bullying

Options
1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
RIO DE JANEIRO -- Gabby Douglas had just completed the last routine and last post-competition interview of her Olympic career, and her eyes were puddling up with tears after someone asked her about the latest wave of criticism she had caught back in the U.S.

"I tried to stay off the internet because there's just so much negativity," Douglas admitted when asked about the stories that went viral after the U.S. won the team competition; the articles suggested she didn't exhibit proper decorum on the medal stand. "Either it was about my hair or my hand not over my heart [on the medal podium] or I look depressed. ... It was hurtful. It was hurtful. It was. It's been kind of a lot to deal with."

Douglas noted "I apologized if I offended anyone" by merely standing at attention rather than copying her four teammates, who had their hands over their hearts. But she still remains a bit baffled. "I've always said it was an honor to represent the U.S. You always do this for your country, and then, like people say, for yourself and other people."

After Douglas thanked everyone in the press area and gave way to Madison Kocian, who won the silver medal in the uneven bars competition, she walked down the hallway at Olympic Arena. Then Douglas stood in a corner, facing a wall, and had a good, long cry.

It was hard to watch. Every now and then, a Team USA worker took a look at her. Finally, a woman walked over and handed Douglas what appeared to be a Kleenex. The woman wrapped an arm around Douglas' shoulder and patted her a couple of times, then left the gymnast alone once more.

In a Reuters story posted Sunday, Douglas' mother, Natalie Hawkins, was more direct, calling what her daughter has been through "bullying."

"What I saw in the stands," Hawkins said, "was someone who was hurting and she was also angry. What was going through her head was 'I'm being attacked for everything I do so I might as well not do anything. Because no matter what I do, I am being attacked."

"You name it, she got trampled," Hawkins added. "What did she ever do to anyone?

Simone Biles, who won the individual all-around gold medal in Rio, the same title Douglas won at the 2012 Olympics, spoke about how this team is as close as sisters, and how Douglas -- one of her best friends on the team -- was among the first to congratulate her. Aly Raisman, who won the silver in the same event, said Douglas was among her teammates who spent the morning of the all-around helping Biles and Raisman get ready, asking them if there was anything they need.

"I love them ... I always supported them," Douglas said Sunday.

It still didn't stop the ginned-up criticism. Douglas, who finished seventh in the bars Sunday after qualifying third-best, admitted "it's been hard."

"When I heard some of the comments, I was finally like 'Whoa, whoa, whoa, that's far from me and far from my personality at all," Douglas said. "I've been through a lot. A lot. Sometimes I sit back and say, 'Wait. What did I do to disrespect people? What have I done to disrespect the USA?"

"I don't get that part," Douglas said, tearing up again. "I'm sorry."

Comments

• 1CK1S
    1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    RIO DE JANEIRO – If there was any doubt Gabby Douglas was hurting, that the Olympics had become far more painful than she’d ever imagined after her decision to return for an encore, it was all erased not long after she finished seventh in the uneven bars on Sunday.

For nearly 10 minutes after the likely final event of her career, the 20-year-old American, who had such a thrill ride four years ago in London, spoke with reporters about the emotional roller coaster here. As if failing to qualify for the individual all-around finals after winning in groundbreaking fashion in 2012 and earning just the team gold weren’t enough, she was criticized at every turn in the social media spectrum so often devoid of humanity.

They said she was unpatriotic on Wednesday, when Douglas was the only member of the Final Five who didn’t place her hand on her heart during the national anthem after they won gold. They said she was bitter on Thursday, when Simone Biles won the individual all-around, Aly Raisman won silver and Douglas – who was clapping – didn’t stand and cheer like her teammates Laurie Hernandez and Madison Kocian.

Douglas, who finished third in qualifying, had only missed the finals because of a rule forbidding one country from sending three gymnasts to the all-around final (Raisman finished second).

They again made her fun of her hair as they did in 2012 – the type of thing that comes with racial implications and stings so much more when you’re a minority in a mostly white sport. They made fun of her smile (or perceived lack thereof). And despite all those people telling her to stay off her phone, it’s quite clear she heard it all.

“I apologize if what may have … seemed to be me really mad in the stands (on Thursday). I wasn’t,” said Douglas, who also felt compelled to apologize for the flag issue. “I was supporting Aly (who had just lost out on the gold), and I always will support them and respect them and everything that they do. So I never want anyone to take it as I was jealous, or I wanted attention. Never.

“I support them, and I’m sorry that I wasn’t showing it, and I should have. But for me, it’s just like – it’s been a lot. And I’ve been through a lot. But I still love them. I still love the people who love me, still love them who hate me, and I’m just going to stand on that.”

If this is it for Douglas, and it likely is, what a sad way for her to go.

In the 15 minutes after she spoke with reporters, Douglas appeared to jump right back into the social media world that put such a stain on her goodbye tour. Sporting a “USA” backpack, a red jacket, blue pants and red, white and blue shoes, Douglas pulled her iPhone out and began to swipe. And scroll. And swipe. And swipe again. She would put the phone away for a few moments, standing there in silent thought with a heavy look upon her face, then bring it back out again.

All the while, with people coming and going inside the Olympic Stadium as the day came to a close, Douglas was mostly alone. A member of the team’s staff stopped by quickly to rub her shoulder. A fellow gymnast came by to console her and offer a hug. Eventually, after she walked away from the barricade that had been supporting her and kneeled in a corner next to a fire hydrant, she grabbed a tissue and began dabbing her eyes and wiping her nose.

Douglas swears she has no regrets about coming back to the Olympics, that the work it took to get here was worth it even in spite of the ugliness on the periphery.

“Not really,” she said when asked if she had second-guessed her decision to return. “For me, when you go through a lot, and you have so many difficulties and people against you sometimes, it kind of just determines your character. Are you going to stand, or are you going to crumble? In the face of everything, still stand. I have no regrets coming back for a second Olympics. It’s been an amazing experience.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HT3eMbSf1M
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgguluUutL4
  • 5onblackhandside
    5onblackhandside Members Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    man up, ssshhhhieeeetttt
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What she needs to understand or what somebody should tell her is; she didn't Gain any new haters because of anything she did.. anybody who hates her Now already hated her before now and we all know why
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I hope some of these racists get their accounts pulled and then cry about "free speech" like https://xkcd.com/1357 doesn't dead that ?

• Fosheezy
    Fosheezy Members Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Smash on Gabi idgaf

Anyone notice her demeanor during her routines? It's hard to put a finger on, she seemed like she was so serious, but had this look in her eyes (kinda hot actually) like she was focused but still didn't really wanna be there, and seemed almost a little bit too relaxed during most her routines. She must've got involved with some dude I'm sure she sexually active.. somebody breaking her off. Got her messing up her routines and all that.
  • jetlifebih
    jetlifebih Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I was taught you only do it during the pledge of allegiance not the national anthem, and once I seen my father not do it during the pledge, I stopped all together
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Fosheezy wrote: »
    Smash on Gabi idgaf

Anyone notice her demeanor during her routines? It's hard to put a finger on, she seemed like she was so serious, but had this look in her eyes (kinda hot actually) like she was focused but still didn't really wanna be there, and seemed almost a little bit too relaxed during most her routines. She must've got involved with some dude I'm sure she sexually active.. somebody breaking her off. Got her messing up her routines and all that.

To each his own but she aint attractive to me.

Seems like a ? too. Her teammates kinda seem standoffish to her too
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Her parents failed to let her know she is black and will receive criticism just for her skin color.
  • Fosheezy
    Fosheezy Members Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    TheGOAT wrote: »
    Smash on Gabi idgaf

To each his own but she aint attractive to me.

Seems like a ? too. Her teammates kinda seem standoffish to her too
    Lol I know what u mean. She kinda do seem that way. She really not my style, but still...I couldn't say no to it

gabby-douglas_usoc-photoshoot_usa-today.jpg?itok=cjyk82jX

?m=02&d=20160814&t=2&i=1149632476&w=780&fh=&fw=&ll=&pl=&sq=&r=LYNXNPEC7D0HW

gabby.jpg
  • jetlifebih
    jetlifebih Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    She looks decent to me but she look super young , in about 5 years when she hit that grown woman stride she will be bad
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I still think she looked salty in the stands at the conclusion of the All Around, but that was foul of that interviewer to bring that up when the chick just had such a bad showing for the Uneven Bars. She's was already disappointed and down. Why you bringing up pointless social media ? to pour salt in the wound?
  • ThaNubianGod
    ThaNubianGod Members Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Copper wrote: »
    ...and no mention of Phelps weed smoking or arrests

Don't see what Phelps has to do with this though. he caught the same thing last time around. This is what happens today in sports, everyone wants to knock who's every on top down. Hope Solo probably got the worst of it this time around.
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

yeaaaah I agree with the first part. It def seemed like she was just going through the motions and was really looking forwards to just being done with it. Maybe she is burned out.

Gabby did seem like she had a stick in her craw, but this pilling on and public shaming on social media has gotten ridiculous.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Don't see what Phelps has to do with this though. he caught the same thing last time around. This is what happens today in sports, everyone wants to knock who's every on top down. Hope Solo probably got the worst of it this time around.

lol Peope just like making random ass comparisons that don't mean ? . Pointing out that Phelps didn't "show the proper respect for the anthem" was valid though.
  • ThaNubianGod
    ThaNubianGod Members Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

lol Peope just like making random ass comparisons that don't mean ? . Pointing out that Phelps didn't "show the proper respect for the anthem" was valid though.

True, but we all know this isn't about the anthem, but instead the state of society where people feel the need to tear others down to feel good.
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Gabby will be alright. She accomplished alot already.
    This that Jigga man ? , they love u, then hate u, then love u again.