How Come Mid 90s NY Rap Didn't Sell?

Options

Comments

• blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    nyc let yall pioneers die off

yall pop that support the emcee ? but dont back it up...ud catch 40 or too short on an nyc record before kane or doug, stop the ? . yall sank yourselves. macklemore had to put yall ogs back on some new ? ..thats a bad look...and its all on yall

NY was producing so much talent that did become a reality. Look at the 93/94 shift. You ever seen so many dope artist get pushed to the side?
    5 Grand wrote: »
    During the height of the Westcoast G Funk era there were 20 signed NYC artist with gold records for every mainstream westcoast artist. Please stop this madness. Why do you think DEF jam signed Warren G and not many other West Coast artist then drop him like a brick the second he started to play out?

Interesting point. You're saying that while 3 or 4 West Coast albums went multiplat there were dozens of East Coast albums that went gold. That may be true but I remember vividly that Illmatic didn't go gold when it came out and that got 5 mics in The Source.

It went gold like around IWW time. NY won the quality and quantity battle, that's why during that era the east produced more legends.

People front now though, like Mobb Deep wasn't doing more numbers than a UGK.

But UGK>>>Mobb Deep...

Not in the 90's. UGK sold less than a million albums in the 90's.

Don't get ya racist white man on trying to re write history.

Hammer and Vanilla Ice Sold more than Mobb deep also does that mean they are better also???

? the dumb ? I will give you the track that introduced me to UGK...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we3_b5xU9CI
    EyeofAsaru wrote: »

yall pop that support the emcee ? but dont back it up...ud catch 40 or too short on an nyc record before kane or doug, stop the ? . yall sank yourselves. macklemore had to put yall ogs back on some new ? ..thats a bad look...and its all on yall

NY was producing so much talent that did become a reality. Look at the 93/94 shift. You ever seen so many dope artist get pushed to the side?
    During the height of the Westcoast G Funk era there were 20 signed NYC artist with gold records for every mainstream westcoast artist. Please stop this madness. Why do you think DEF jam signed Warren G and not many other West Coast artist then drop him like a brick the second he started to play out?

Interesting point. You're saying that while 3 or 4 West Coast albums went multiplat there were dozens of East Coast albums that went gold. That may be true but I remember vividly that Illmatic didn't go gold when it came out and that got 5 mics in The Source.

It went gold like around IWW time. NY won the quality and quantity battle, that's why during that era the east produced more legends.

But UGK>>>Mobb Deep...

Dawg get the ? outta here

What ugk song had more impact in hip hop than shook ones or quiet storm?

And eye love super tight and ridin ? but y'all tripping in here

Mobb deep dominated the mid 90s..They definitely had more of a movement...Ugk didn't really start bubbling nationwide til Jayz put them on big pimpin

Here in the WIld West Never Heard of Mobb Deep till Pac dissed them, ? they owe most of their movement to Pac Haters jumping on their ? ...

UGK been Kracking since we heard them on Menace II Society Soundtrack...

and nobody without southern ties heard of UGK until the free ? C movement. Mobb Deep sold more in the West than UGK so maybe that soundtrack didn't help too much.

That's ? and you know it....

Yet the bigger group Mobb Deep was restricted to the 5 boros by a force field? I never was asked by anybody if I have UGK tapes/cds when overseas when I was a kid.

Why did Charlemagne little town in South Carolina call itself Queensbridge if acts like Mobb Deep weren't having success?

I never said Mob Deep was restricted or just know in NY...and you'd have to ask that ? why his town wanted to be queens bridge. All I'm saying is to say nobody without down south ties was bumping UGK before ? got locked up for the umpteenth time is ? . They were a well known group...it can be debated who was more popular but to say you had to have a down south connection in order to know about UGK instead of just being a person who listened to music from everywhere is stupid
  • hiphop12345
    hiphop12345 Members Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options

But UGK>>>Mobb Deep...

Hammer and Vanilla Ice Sold more than Mobb deep also does that mean they are better also???

But UGK>>>Mobb Deep...

Mobb deep dominated the mid 90s..They definitely had more of a movement...Ugk didn't really start bubbling nationwide til Jayz put them on big pimpin

Here in the WIld West Never Heard of Mobb Deep till Pac dissed them, ? they owe most of their movement to Pac Haters jumping on their ? ...

and nobody without southern ties heard of UGK until the free ? C movement. Mobb Deep sold more in the West than UGK so maybe that soundtrack didn't help too much.

That's ? and you know it....

Yet the bigger group Mobb Deep was restricted to the 5 boros by a force field? I never was asked by anybody if I have UGK tapes/cds when overseas when I was a kid.

Why did Charlemagne little town in South Carolina call itself Queensbridge if acts like Mobb Deep weren't having success?

Again by your logic of False Equivalencies Vanilla Ice, MC Hammer, Rob Base, Tone Loc, Young MC, and many other acts that have toured over and over successfully over seas are far superior to Mobb Deep. Take also into account the epicenter of the music industry not just Hip Hop stems from NYC and you can see how the overseas Market is seeded with acts that play to the mainstream corporate structure But than that goes back to my original post in this thread...
    I am not reading this whole thread to debunk this ? and pose a premise most eastminded kats will not get...
    THe East Coast never Fell off in the 90's they kept a consistent number in sales relatively each year, the perception gap is skewed because the Hiphop market place blew up and the westcoast and south took a large chunk of the new market share HipHop had garnered from the pop market. Wu Tang Clan, LL Cool J and Badboy alone held a strong share of a now larger market. THe inferiority complex that not all artist were blowing up from the east and therefore Eastcoast rap was not selling is ? there were always big names from each region doing well and many more artists not doing so hot in those same regions...

Mobb Deep was rapping about stabbing ? in they brain wit they nose bone. They weren't commercial like Vanilla Ice, Hammer etc. Hammer had toys for crying out load. I don't know if any of the acts you named can do better overseas than Mobb Deep right now.

I never said Mob Deep was restricted or just know in NY...and you'd have to ask that ? why his town wanted to be queens bridge. All I'm saying is to say nobody without down south ties was bumping UGK before ? got locked up for the umpteenth time is ? . They were a well known group...it can be debated who was more popular but to say you had to have a down south connection in order to know about UGK instead of just being a person who listened to music from everywhere is stupid

Ok so where was UGK big that wasn't connected to the South?
  • EmM HoLLa.
    EmM HoLLa. Members Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So Ya'll ? spent madd pages going back and forth with this pimpin ass ? @BOSSExcellence lmaoo.. C'mon son.. That ? is a ? .. U aint about to win a subjective argument wit that ? .. Agree to disagree and move on... hahaha..

As long as the culture was birth in NYC.. People around the globe gotta respect us...
  • achewon87
    achewon87 Members Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • T. Sanford
    T. Sanford Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

But UGK>>>Mobb Deep...

But UGK>>>Mobb Deep...

Man this post is dumb af. How did Jay-Z noticed them then? Biggie been heard of them too, shid even Pac wanted them on his One Nation album
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I am from Seattle Washington the hub of the Great Pacific Northwest in the Puget Sound...

So you never listened to Menace Soundtrack that ? kept systems rattling when it came out raw as ? from a raw as ? movie that is how I know yall are either just lying ? ass haters or are so isolated and insulated by your regional ? that you can never see past...

Bottom line, if you don't remember when Shook Ones part 2 was out your opinions regarding this thread and its premise are irrelevant.
    Spice 1>>> Mobb Deep I could on but there is no point let me put you onto some dope ? ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8K31tTV554

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoNuQoxb7g8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRJA2YrA6qI

Bottom Line is thank Yahweh Hip Hop is not confined to your rules or it would be stuck in the East never getting a chance to shine all over the nation...

Hip Hop would be better if it stayed within the 5 boroughs. Word to I Used to Love Her.

How you gonna say that while quoting a Chicago MC? That makes no sense

Listen to the song, that Chicago MC even agrees that Hip Hop was better when it was in New York.
  • hiphop12345
    Options
    T. Sanford wrote: »

But UGK>>>Mobb Deep...

But UGK>>>Mobb Deep...

Man this post is dumb af. How did Jay-Z noticed them then? Biggie been heard of them too, shid even Pac wanted them on his One Nation album

Are you serious? You think artist from different areas don't know of their pears who's making movies in different markets? I don't remember UGK ever performing at the Apollo at a time when Zero Black artist would of turn such a gig down. I know they never sold out the Garden, Madison or Boston.

Since this thread was about numbers then put up them UGK numbers and lets see if I'm lying or not.
  • T. Sanford
    Options
    Hey guys, UGK aren't known in the Swedish Mountains. I already asked three people
  • hiphop12345
    Options
    Hey guys, UGK aren't known in the Swedish Mountains. I already asked three people

Come on don't be disapointed. They have 1 gold plaque.
  • T. Sanford
    edited August 2016
    Options

But UGK>>>Mobb Deep...

But UGK>>>Mobb Deep...

Are you serious? You think artist from different areas don't know of their pears who's making movies in different markets? I don't remember UGK ever performing at the Apollo at a time when Zero Black artist would of turn such a gig down. I know they never sold out the Garden, Madison or Boston.

Since this thread was about numbers then put up them UGK numbers and lets see if I'm lying or not.

I answered your question. You said nobody ever heard of them then I gave you Jay-Z & two other top 5s of all time. Now you talking about some ? Apollo. Quit trying to move the goal post
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The bottom line is that cats on the West Coast thought Warren G could rap better than Nas.
  • EyeofAsaru
    EyeofAsaru Members Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    These West and south ? are delusional bruh

They can't see past their ? noses

How the ? can ugk's status be greater than the mobb's and they ain't got a single platinum certification for a LP?(even after the big pimpin exposure)...Murda musik is PLATINUM

Ugk is regional ..the numbers prove that ? ...Face facts..Mobb deep had more of a impact on hip hop
  • BenjaminE
    BenjaminE Members Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

But UGK>>>Mobb Deep...

You do realize that UGK sold 500,000 records WITHOUT any promotion & video unlike Mobb Deep, right???????????????

Doesn't mean they had a bigger impact on hip hop overall

Mobb deeps fanbase is worldwide

Ugk is more regional compared to the mobb...

But you southern so eye expect you to ride for your team,even tho you kinda rewriting history

C'mon now, Mobb Deep is regional

Mobb Deep from London

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVtm7MntFfE

Like already stated, East Coast music sold more than any other region overseas and it's not even close. Cats weren't flying in from the West Indies trying to get the UGK and BG album.

This thread was titled wrong but I get the point.

Nah, y'all just off-topic asf...

I am from Seattle Washington the hub of the Great Pacific Northwest in the Puget Sound...

So you never listened to Menace Soundtrack that ? kept systems rattling when it came out raw as ? from a raw as ? movie that is how I know yall are either just lying ? ass haters or are so isolated and insulated by your regional ? that you can never see past...

Bottom line, if you don't remember when Shook Ones part 2 was out your opinions regarding this thread and its premise are irrelevant.
    Spice 1>>> Mobb Deep I could on but there is no point let me put you onto some dope ? ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8K31tTV554

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoNuQoxb7g8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRJA2YrA6qI

Bottom Line is thank Yahweh Hip Hop is not confined to your rules or it would be stuck in the East never getting a chance to shine all over the nation...

Hip Hop would be better if it stayed within the 5 boroughs. Word to I Used to Love Her.

How you gonna say that while quoting a Chicago MC? That makes no sense

Are y'all ready to admit that y'all hitched your wagon to the wrong horse?

This ? @5grand lives in a public library... he wears an old ? adidas track suit, never leaves the music section and sustains himself by eating the pages of books and magazines that mention other regions then he hides between the stacks at closing time... that's only way he could be posting at 3 in the morning...
  • Soloman_The_Wise
    Soloman_The_Wise Members Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Naw man Supergangster is up on UGK don't Front...
  • hiphop12345
    Options

But UGK>>>Mobb Deep...

But UGK>>>Mobb Deep...

I answered your question. You said nobody ever heard of them then I gave you Jay-Z & two other top 5s of all time. Now you talking about some ? Apollo. Quit trying to move the goal post

So every world of mine you're taking in a literal sense? So if I said nobody listen to Chingy anymore, you would run in here and say nuh huh, Chingy youtube page views went up by 100 in the last six months?

Why not the same literal approach to Mobb Deep were only listened to in NY comments?
  • EyeofAsaru
    EyeofAsaru Members Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Real talk...

Apart of UGKs lack of sales was based on ? c's southern pride...He felt a disdain for traditional hip hop ? ...He was pro-south til the graveyard ...The core mantra of ugk was to STAY REGIONAL

You can hear it in songs..His constant ? talking about "kuntry rap tunes" and this "ain't no hip hop records"...Not to mention he intially didn't want to do Big pimpin..Bun damn near had to force him to do it(? only recorded 8 bars for Jay lol)..Bun was the one who wanted to step out the ugk box more than ?

Ugk didn't start really collaborating with artists outside their lil regional box until that double disc Underground kingz(which stalled around just below gold even with one of their biggest hits international playa)
  • NoCompetition
    NoCompetition Members Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Why are some trying to make Ugk the standard? Why are they being brought up endlessly? They are just one admittedly and purposely underground group. Nobody said they were the biggest sellers. Again their name is Underground kings. They targeted the underground. What do they have to do with 90s NY rap?
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Record sales weren't the main focus of hip hop in general back then.Fans didn't care about 1st week sales and gold and platinum.

Also Interscope and Jimmy Iovine had a great system over there.Their machine is very powerful

36 Chambers sold a lot
    Illmatic sold gold back then
    Idk what Midnight Marauders sold but it's a great album.5 mics
    Reasonable Doubt also did gold back then
    Biggie sold in the mid 90's
    The Fugees sold a whole bunch

Traditional hip hop for the most part has never been mainstream,but sometimes critical and commercial success meet and you get your Rakims,Fugees ,or OutKasts, or Eminems .

• loch121
    Options
    I will say that kinda like when Pac said the rest of the country was more living a different lifestyle than The tri state and specifically NY.Nyc is a unique place you almost have to live in,know a lot of ppl from there,or visit a few times to try to get.

That uniqueness made hip hop,but at one point alienated others.

It's not that mid 90's rappers didn't sale,it's that Deathrow,Jimmy,Dre and Snoop raised the bar so much higher.
  • loch121
    Options
    The bottom line is that cats on the West Coast thought Warren G could rap better than Nas.

Nahhhhh
  • hiphop12345
    Options
    Why are some trying to make Ugk the standard? Why are they being brought up endlessly? They are just one admittedly and purposely underground group. Nobody said they were the biggest sellers. Again their name is Underground kings. They targeted the underground. What do they have to do with 90s NY rap?

I just notice how certain East coast acts were portrayed as regional and those first couple of pages were saying how the West AND the South made music that more people liked but that wasn't true. The 90's was not the south decade and the West had an amazing run but so did NY. I just had to put things in the correct prospective.
  • loch121
    Options
    These West and south ? are delusional bruh

They can't see past their ? noses

How the ? can ugk's status be greater than the mobb's and they ain't got a single platinum certification for a LP?(even after the big pimpin exposure)...Murda musik is PLATINUM

Ugk is regional ..the numbers prove that ? ...Face facts..Mobb deep had more of a impact on hip hop

UGK are a natl group for 2 reasons.Being local in the big ass state if Texas is like being Natl even if you just sale indie there.

2.They were on Jive and got more than south and southeast promo.

And while I liked Pimps personality,I never liked his disdain for traditional hip hop,but understood where it came from.

I'm east coast biased admittedly.I don't think any form of rap is better than rough rugged and raw or golden era traditional hip hop.

? just ain't got the poetic complex lyrics I prefer from my artists,but there are a lot of mainstream acts I like a lot and I get the appeal even when on a musical hip hop level they should be hung by their own intestines.
  • a_list
    a_list Members Posts: 4,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_e7c0M6c3k
    Mobb Deep live in San Diego

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns3s20sy_Do
    Seattle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngxznSDLmuw
    Austin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwHld1IsL5I
    Orlando

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFUSXUpFpiw
    Russia

These ? are really local...lol ....Props to youtube ? can front all they want got the clips right here...Yea, yea we know, yall aint here the Shook Ones beat until B Rabbit shytted on Poppa Doc...lol
  • loch121
    Options
    Mobb Deep is a much bigger group than UGK.They sold more if that counts and are considered hip hop legends at this point.

UGK is also legendary,but they don't have a catalogue like the Mobb or their cult following.Mobb got a mini Wu Tang following
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No one bumps UGk here and none of my older fam listened to them

*shrugs*