BlackAX410 wrote: »
    blackrain wrote: »
    5 Grand wrote: »

I am from Seattle Washington the hub of the Great Pacific Northwest in the Puget Sound...

So you never listened to Menace Soundtrack that ? kept systems rattling when it came out raw as ? from a raw as ? movie that is how I know yall are either just lying ? ass haters or are so isolated and insulated by your regional ? that you can never see past...

Bottom line, if you don't remember when Shook Ones part 2 was out your opinions regarding this thread and its premise are irrelevant.
    Spice 1>>> Mobb Deep I could on but there is no point let me put you onto some dope ? ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8K31tTV554

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoNuQoxb7g8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRJA2YrA6qI

Bottom Line is thank Yahweh Hip Hop is not confined to your rules or it would be stuck in the East never getting a chance to shine all over the nation...

Hip Hop would be better if it stayed within the 5 boroughs. Word to I Used to Love Her.

How you gonna say that while quoting a Chicago MC? That makes no sense

Listen to the song, that Chicago MC even agrees that Hip Hop was better when it was in New York.

If Hip-Hop was so much better when it was in NY then how come some NY dudes were so quick to abandon their own style and hop on everyone else's style to try and stay popular?

Its called selling out. You give somebody a big, fat wad of cash and tell him to wear a top hat and a blazer with coattails and he'll wear it.

I remember the X Clan/Brand Nubian era. Thats when MCs used to drop knowledge and talk about African history but that ? didn't sell so they got pushed to the back and gangsta rap got pushed to the forefront because white kids liked it.

Back to the original topic. Illmatic came out in April 94, got 5 mics but didn't go gold. Warren G's Regulate...G Funk era came out in June 1994. Warren G sold 3X plat and got nominated for two grammys. "This D.J." was nominated for a 1995 Grammy Award for Best Rap Solo Performance, while "Regulate" was nominated for a 1995 Grammy for Best Rap Performance By A Duo Or Group.

So my question is; How is Warren G better than Nas? Or how was Regulate...G Funk Era better than Illmatic? Can somebody from the West please explain what you like about Warren G so much or what you didn't like about Illmatic?

You do realize that when X Clan and Brand Nubian was out there were also other rappers and rap styles right? They weren't the only rappers around...and it sold plenty or is Public Enemy not one of the most highly regarded groups of ANY genre of all time? Wasn't there just a thread the other day about how artists like Dead Prez got shows filled with white kids? As for the grammy's...the same grammy's that hip hop fans have said for years don't accurately judge the culture? Is Warren G a better rapper than Nas? No...would I rather bump "This DJ' over "Life's A ? "" if I'm just riding around nice day and want to relax? Hell yes...just because you like one don't mean you dislike the other. This is the problem many have with NY rap fans in general. Act like because you like 1 style you can't like another. Just because I can enjoy hearing 8Ball and MJG talk their ? don't mean I also can't enjoy throwing on Dead Presidents II...you don't have to pick. You can enjoy it all and you'd be a fool to restrict your musical taste

I don't think 5 Grand is from NY though so only New Yorkers liking NY music is b.s. How does a city that is a dancehall hub, and sampled tracks from all over the world think there can only be one style.

Also stop blaming NY for everything. You can go on youtube right now and see Master P performing in L.A to a wack crowd and the comments is blaming NY for the crowd reaction.

Why are some trying to make Ugk the standard? Why are they being brought up endlessly? They are just one admittedly and purposely underground group. Nobody said they were the biggest sellers. Again their name is Underground kings. They targeted the underground. What do they have to do with 90s NY rap?

? stuck on UGK like Outkast wasn't platinum in the 90s

8ball and MJG too while ? trynna front

No they didn't.

On top of the world
    In our lifetime
    Lost ALL went multi platinum obviously you're bias and not objective lol do some research bruh

Why would I be bias against 8ball MJG? You right now, I was slipping on their numbers.

Ok,

Outkast, P, 8Ball MJG, Geto boys, and I'll throw in 2 live crew. Who else? Cash money a bit later.

Mystikal, juvenile, trick daddy went platinum if I'm not mistaken

I view them more in the 2000's.

All 3 had platinum albums in the 90's tho lol don't move the goalpost

Thread title is mid 90's though so the goal post is set.

And you're wrong, All three didn't have platinum albums in the 90's. Stop with the fibs.

Mightve been wrong about trick but unpredictable, 400 degrees and G code went platinum
    You were wrong. Do you consider 50 cent a 90's artist or a 2000's artist?
  • mr.october
    mr.october Members Posts: 340 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? damn for all the jokes sarcasm and feelings in here a lot y'all ? showed y'all age. Still stuck on regions till this day when I hear bk ? sound southern west ? using jazzy beats and south ? being ? at the same time being a l.a gang member. ? being too serious or acting like they casual fans but typing on a forum when avg fans don't do that. None of y'all are that close minded get over y'all selves. Imma go get some money and ? tonight in that order. Thx for giving me a topic to talk about while I pre game irl tho. Lmao
  • BedStuy
    BedStuy Members Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cybertr0n wrote: »
    One thing that I think contributed to a backlash was the way people from NY interacted with others in/from other regions. Like no need to down the new place and talk about where you are from nonstop. Why not try to enjoy the new place. Thats how I think as a South dude. NY people just had a different type of attitude and rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. That type of thing can turn people off too. I will say I havent seen that type of thing in years pretty much though but back then they were notorious for it. People in other places were like "we got our own thing"
    This is true. I never had a problem with south ? and not because I got family down there. Its because I'm an observing and quiet person. I know southern dudes very well and been in the military to know this civil war between up north and the south is real.

Man I got a NY dude at work who went out of his way to look out for me recently. We kinda clashed at first way back. Dude never been on that where he from nonsense. All thats useless. Quiet is kept Im thinking about making an Eastcoast trip to all the cities up there one day. Been to DC but no further. I just be happy to be somewhere out of town haha. Yeah it be like why am I here? to be here and enjoy it. I coulda stayed home but thats there Im here.
    That's what's up. You already know everything fast up here. Real dudes from NY don't talk ? and show love. It's the suckas that are easily trolled and make us look bad. I just hate when southerners start generalizing about their bad experiences with people from up north. I'm like nah, you just interacted with a fake ? ass ? that represents himself. On the real tho, some southern dudes are some funny ass real life trolls. At least y'all know better than to pop ? when y'all visit up here. I can't say the same for some NY dudes visiting the south or out west.
  • skpjr78
    skpjr78 Members Posts: 7,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    because it sucked

/thread
  • hiphop12345
    hiphop12345 Members Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No, when a sneaker came out in 2000 and it still say new in 2002, that's behind. If you went some where out of the states and saw a segment that started off 'New rapper Two Pack' and at the end the copy right said 2016 and it was playing in 4k you would say what the ? ?

You'd maybe have an argument if you used the 80's, possibly even early 90's but by the mid 90's, because the affect of music videos, people were exposed to areas they hadn't seen in general. How often have you heard NY rappers say "Damn, we had no idea LA was really like that til LA rappers started making videos in their neighborhoods". Going as far up as the 2000's though adn you're in the time period where NY wasn't the dominant cultural force in rap music. By then everyone pretty much had been exposed to multiple artists from the south, west, mid west, and the different styles all those rappers brought to the table. Alot of that "NY is ahead of everywhere" is NY dudes hyping things up in their own mind. Every city got things no other city has. NY ain't different or special in that way that it makes them ahead of everywhere else

The example I gave I saw in the 2000's.

Are we really going to pretend that major hubs aren't centers for things? So NY, London, Tokyo is the same as Louisville, Kansas city, and Omaha? You can catch a flight to damn near anywhere in the world from NYC, can every American city say the same? I know for a fact every U.S city can't claim that.

Also being a little behind is ok, it's not looking down. I remember traveling over seas before and people loved getting American clothes, it didn't matter if it wasn't name brand or used. Now, places like Barbados, China, etc don't want American hand me downs. They got they own ? or have the same kind of stores.

NYC doesn't sleep. You can go food shopping, high end clothes shopping, dinning, partying etc at any time of day. London shuts down. When I first found that out I was shocked because they have Tubes just like NYC have subways, it's a walking city just like NY, it's a cultural hub just like NY but it's also older than NY and for some reason they are just now extending their night life longer.

The East Coast was behind in MMA, it is what it is. Why front? ? in one breathe would say "I'm not suppose to be here, I'm from the country" then next breath say they have everything NY, LA has. Which one is it?
  • Louis Devinear
    Louis Devinear Members Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    To much west coast ? licking

Too many down south ? doing they best west coast renditions.

? got real inferiority complexes. That ? sad.

2016 and ? still talking about what NYC did for 3 decades.

? are comparing 5 boroughs to a whole coast. ? is comparing 5 boroughs to 15 southern states. Wooowwwwwww

What y'all ? life really like? is it really that corny where y'all come from?

Just when I thought this site couldn't get no lamer.

Was I wrong. Carry on though.
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 boroughs but u ? live on top of each other.
    ? packed in there like sardines..

15 Southern States probably add up to yall's population. lol
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    if u put a gun to my head and tell me to name 5 Mobb Deep songs imma say

"shook ones" (cause someone has mentioned it on here..)

"that song wit Lil Kim." (hopefully that counts for somethin?? maybe a half a point if i can sing the chorus.)

and ummm...

? it! we fis'na fight for this damn gun!!! :joy: :joy: :joy:

Temperatures rising,Survival Of fittest,The Life,Hell on Earth,Godfather part 3

No googles.The Mobb got plenty records.I could rattle off 5 more easily

• loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    not even tryin to be funny but im in the gym, on the treadmill next to two GILFs and Big jus came on the shuffle (SEE I ? WIT THE EASTCOAST!!)

and i quote "? use to be on cruddy ? , took home ready to die, listened, studied it. and now they on some money ? , successful out the blue.."

? even Biggie wasnt ? wit that whack ass eastcoast early 90s ? ..

? was played out like Kwame and them pokodots! :joy: :joy:

Biggie was one of those ? .Lol to say he didn't ? with east coast music.

That line wasn't even for the Mobb.It was for Nas and others who got on that rich ? .

To call east coast wack in the midst of what is called the golden era is just silly.
  • Louis Devinear
    Options

Ok what's your point?

Cause you posted on every page in this thread and you ain't make not one.

Try again pimping.
  • CapitalB
    Options

Ok what's your point?

Try again pimping.

my point is and always has been in this thread is u have to be a special kind of miserable to take this ? as serious as yall are makin it. hahahaha

its ? hilarious..

• Louis Devinear
    Options

Ok what's your point?

Try again pimping.

my point is and always has been in this thread is u have to be a special kind of miserable to take this ? as serious as yall are makin it. hahahaha

its ? hilarious..

For some people this music ? is serious. It's the ? that may have helped them get through some ? up times in they life.

But you know that already. You been trolling ? since the first page. I know your style from the Gns.

It's hilarious on both sides though. I'm to grown for back and forth fuckery. There's no feelings involved nor do I ever take this ? personal.

I'm enjoying my life and music I listen to. I'm quite sure you doing the same. Leave these young ? alone.

You old miserable bastard. Lol
  • CapitalB
    Options

Ok what's your point?

Try again pimping.

its ? hilarious..

For some people this music ? is serious. It's the ? that may have helped them get through some ? up times in they life.

But you know that already. You been trolling ? since the first page. I know your style from the Gns.

It's hilarious on both sides though. I'm to grown for back and forth fuckery. There's no feelings involved nor do I ever take this ? personal.

I'm enjoying my life and music I listen to. I'm quite sure you doing the same. Leave these young ? alone.

You old miserable bastard. Lol

mannnnn u been on my head this whole damn thread..
    leave me alone!!! lol

let a ? hoop ? !
    i aint had this much fun in a thread in awhile.. ? in here dont know me like that vs GnS where ? jus write me off as jus talkin ? . lol

these ? in here really "ready to die" about this ? . hahahaha
  • CapitalB
    Options
    like wow..
    this ? really did 400+ posts!!? smmfh

all cause a ? said "who the ? is a Jeru!!?" hahahha
  • bigev240
    bigev240 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 10,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options

You do realize that when X Clan and Brand Nubian was out there were also other rappers and rap styles right? They weren't the only rappers around...and it sold plenty or is Public Enemy not one of the most highly regarded groups of ANY genre of all time? Wasn't there just a thread the other day about how artists like Dead Prez got shows filled with white kids? As for the grammy's...the same grammy's that hip hop fans have said for years don't accurately judge the culture? Is Warren G a better rapper than Nas? No...would I rather bump "This DJ' over "Life's A ? "" if I'm just riding around nice day and want to relax? Hell yes...just because you like one don't mean you dislike the other. This is the problem many have with NY rap fans in general. Act like because you like 1 style you can't like another. Just because I can enjoy hearing 8Ball and MJG talk their ? don't mean I also can't enjoy throwing on Dead Presidents II...you don't have to pick. You can enjoy it all and you'd be a fool to restrict your musical taste

You lost me @ the bolded. Life's a ? is a top 10 Hip Hop song. I'd bump that before I'd bump anything by Warren G.

Stop bruh. I tried to stay out of this topic but now you are talking nonsense. All of this is YOUR opinion on how all east coast were in the 90s. And yes I could bump This DJ and Life's A ? one after then other with no ? given. I could also bump Po ? , Broken Language, The Hood Done Took Me Under, and ? South too. You are too worried about what The Source gave mics to and what sold. If you are a real hip hop head none of that would matter. I'm saying that you are not wrong on the point that a lot of east coast heads only listen to east coast music, but at the end of the day real recognize real and that all that matters.

And this is coming a kat that was heavy into hip hop in the 90s.
  • Mr_Vicodin81G
    Mr_Vicodin81G Members Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why are some trying to make Ugk the standard? Why are they being brought up endlessly? They are just one admittedly and purposely underground group. Nobody said they were the biggest sellers. Again their name is Underground kings. They targeted the underground. What do they have to do with 90s NY rap?

8ball and MJG>>>>>> Mobb Sleep
  • Mr_Vicodin81G
    Options
    I knew a few cats who moved from NY down here 2 Texas in early 2000s. At first yeah they was on they lil power trip "You don't know me son, I'm from the Bronx" etc. Texas cats wasn't taking them seriously and they was no threat so we let them bark lol Comes 2 find out. Who the ones that was sipping lean the most and starting riding SLABS? Them NY fools was. Started jocking Texas steez lol trpipes out when you hear a cat from BX talm bout "I'm riding Slab"
  • T. Sanford
    T. Sanford Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    like wow..

"I know 2 people in India from the village of Punjab that heard Jeru's demo tape" - hiphop12345
  • Mr_Vicodin81G
    Options
    like wow..

Still tryna figure out what tha ? a Jeru is homie lol
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

8ball and MJG>>>>>> Mobb Sleep

One too many Vicodin homie, this dudes brain is fried
  • HerbalVaporCapers
    HerbalVaporCapers Members Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Came back in this ? and @BOSSExcellence still blasting for the set

You got heart vato

omcbdgzss9f4.gif
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You got heart vato

omcbdgzss9f4.gif

The amount of time he spends in this thread makes me question the amount of ? and money he's really getting
  • CapitalB
    Options

You got heart vato

omcbdgzss9f4.gif

The amount of time he spends in this thread makes me question the amount of ? and money he's really getting

i got ? gettin me money my ? ..

i got nothin but time cuh! hahahahha
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bigev240 wrote: »

You lost me @ the bolded. Life's a ? is a top 10 Hip Hop song. I'd bump that before I'd bump anything by Warren G.

Stop bruh. I tried to stay out of this topic but now you are talking nonsense. All of this is YOUR opinion on how all east coast were in the 90s. And yes I could bump This DJ and Life's A ? one after then other with no ? given. I could also bump Po ? , Broken Language, The Hood Done Took Me Under, and ? South too. You are too worried about what The Source gave mics to and what sold. If you are a real hip hop head none of that would matter. I'm saying that you are not wrong on the point that a lot of east coast heads only listen to east coast music, but at the end of the day real recognize real and that all that matters.

Ummm, the topic of this thread is; How Come Mid 90s NY Rap Didn't Sell? I'm not "worried" about who The Source gave mics to or what it sold, its just the topic of the thread so thats what I'm talking about. If the subject doesn't interest you than don't participate in this thread or create your own thread about something else.
  • bigev240
    bigev240 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 10,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bigev240 wrote: »

Ummm, the topic of this thread is; How Come Mid 90s NY Rap Didn't Sell? I'm not "worried" about who The Source gave mics to or what it sold, its just the topic of the thread so thats what I'm talking about. If the subject doesn't interest you than don't participate in this thread or create your own thread about something else.

Don't be salty. You kept on going on about how many mics The Source gave out to different artists, your words not mine. But to answer your question. One, bootlegging was heavy on the east coast. I remember an article on M.O.P. talking about their First Family 4 Life album and how it was one of the most stolen and bootleg album of that year. They said that it was one of the main reasons that it didn't at least went gold. Two, A lot of the east coast artists really only was being marketed for the east coast. I have mad family down south during the time and most would tell me that they didn't know so and so was dropping an album unless somebody from up north told them. I'm at work right now so I can't get into it deeper, but to me that's two issues why east coast didn't sell.