Ghana Resident: Why Does China Send Workers To Africa When So Many Here Are Unemployed?

Options
white sympathizer
white sympathizer Members Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭✭
Sorry ass africans getting punked in they own country lol

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/china-workers-africa_us_57ad51ace4b071840410bb60

Workers To Africa When So Many Here Are Unemployed?

The China Africa Project explores tough questions about the country and continent’s relationship. This week, we talk about unemployment and imported labor.

ANTONY NJUGUNA / REUTERS

A road construction project manager with China Wuyi Company talks to a colleague at a site near Isiolo town, about 320 km north of Kenyan capital Nairobi, in this 2008 file photo.Eric Olander and Cobus van Staden are the duo behind the China Africa Project and hosts of the popular China in Africa Podcast. We’re here to answer your most pressing, puzzling, even politically incorrect questions, about all things related to the Chinese in Africa and Africans in China.

China’s engagement in Africa is a distinctly 21st century phenomenon and, as such, is still poorly understood by most people, most notably among Chinese and Africans themselves who are still getting to know one another. In that spirit, we’ve started this new column as a way to help spark dialogue and cross-cultural communication in order to explore this fascinating, complex relationship.
In many instances, people are either too shy or embarrassed to publicly ask that question that could be misconstrued as insensitive or politically incorrect. In issues like this that touch on questions of race, power and culture, things can get messy real fast. Instead, we’ll take each question seriously, and with the benefit of our backgrounds in China-Africa journalism and academic scholarship, we’ll do our best to give you a thoughtful, well-reasoned response

Every time I pass by a Chinese construction site and see Chinese people working it just ? me off. Why do they have to bring in their own workers when so many young Ghanaians can’t find jobs? It just doesn’t make any sense!
― Sent via Facebook from Accra

I think if there was poll taken in Ghana or anywhere on the continent of what angers people most about the Chinese in Africa this issue would be #1, by far! I completely understand where you are coming from. In fact, the World Bank just came out withnew data that reportedly revealed that 48 percent of Ghanaian young people are unemployed, so you’d think it would only be natural for the government to do more to force Chinese companies to hire local workers as part of the contract for infrastructure projects, right?

Let me present a different side of the argument. First and foremost, often when officials from the two governments reach a deal to build infrastructure in Ghana, it’s not intended to be a jobs program. The objective of these contracts is to build a road, a bridge or some other piece of infrastructure that your own government has deemed essential. This isn’t an aid program, often it’s not even a traditional development program similar to those done by Western governments over the past few decades. Nope. This is pure business. The Ghanaians say they need a road, the Chinese say they can build it.

China has been especially successful in Africa and other developing markets with its infrastructure business because it undercuts both local and international competitors, sometimes by as much as 50 percent. For a country like Ghana, with its limited budgets, the so-called “China Price” is the reason why these Chinese companies often win the bids. Well, part of that is that Chinese companies have anintegrated system of financing, engineering, material sourcing, etc. that allows them to build at a lower cost. And yes, part of this is labor, but it’s important to be clear what kind of labor we’re talking about and how much of it they really do import.

JOE PENNEY / REUTERS
Chinese and Nigerian construction workers work on a site in Niamey, Niger, on February 22, 2016.Some Chinese construction companies will argue that it would take way too long to hire local engineers and project managers which would also push up the budget. So for specialized managers, they say it’s critical to bring in their own folks to do the job. That makes sense. The far more questionable practice is when they import unskilled labor, often referred to pejorativelyby African leaders as “wheelbarrow pushers.” Here, I totally agree with you that this is inexcusable, even deplorable given the high levels of unemployment in Ghana and elsewhere in Africa.
But…

The issue of how much unskilled Chinese labor is actually employed in Africa is often way overblown. I don’t know about the construction sites that you’ve passed where you’ve seen Chinese workers, but I’m almost positive that those Chinese represent a small minority of the overall workforce on the project. There is a lot of research that’s been done to show that the vast majority of workers on Chinese construction projects in Africa are locally hired.

Nonetheless, even if the numbers are small, the optics look bad when Chinese unskilled labor work in countries where too many people are unemployed. However, I think it’s important to step back and see these projects for what they are (building critical infrastructure) and what they’re not (aid-based job programs).
― Eric

Comments

• Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How are Africans getting punked if they can't control the company or the govt. which allows this to happen?
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Copper wrote: »
    How are Africans getting punked if they can't control the company or the govt. which allows this to happen?

It's their soil. Africa has been getting punked for years... centuries.

I use to be on that back to africa ? , now it's ? africa, herb ? ... smfh
    im looking at pacific island countries, west indies, or south America.
  • white sympathizer
    Options

Ask the haitians how

Its more of them there than there are chinese, yet they let ling ling and them set up an army base AND then beg them for work

PATHETIC
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @BOSSExcellence

Come bless the thread with you famous line about Africans.
  • Copper
    Options
    D0wn wrote: »

Ask the haitians how

Its more of them there than there are chinese, yet they let ling ling and them set up an army base AND then beg them for work

PATHETIC

Its the youth that has a 48% unemployment rate... Not the majority
  • Busta Carmichael
    Busta Carmichael Members, Moderators Posts: 13,161 Regulator
    Options
    Smart dumb ? think they know anything about Africa. It's a continent with 54 countries which several of them houses the richest black people in the world.

So just because one resident in Ghana has a problem with Asians, that means that every country in Africa is broke and useless?
  • white sympathizer
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Smart dumb ? think they know anything about Africa. It's a continent with 54 countries which several of them houses the richest black people in the world.

So just because one resident in Ghana has a problem with Asians, that means that every country in Africa is broke and useless?

How many african army bases are in asia?

How many asian army bases are in africa?
  • Copper
    Options

Ask the haitians how

PATHETIC

Its the youth that has a 48% unemployment rate... Not the majority

I guarantee aint no africans setting up an army base in china or japan or anywhere in asia

Well Africa is not a country soooo
  • white sympathizer
    Options

How many Chinese food or Asian liquor stores are there in your neighborhood?

How many food joints do you own in China?

None, I dont live in "the hood" boy

The closest liquor store to me is a wegmans and the nearest reataurant is a thai food restaurant

Try again stupid
  • D0wn
    Options

Ask the haitians how

PATHETIC

Exactly.... all the resources needed to build Africa are already in Africa....
    instead of wrking with one another. they begging chinese for help... the same chinese who are barely afloat, and giving them fake rice.

Smfh... at these africans letting these ? ass african leaders, get away with all this fuckery .

And Africa aint nothing like Haiti. Haiti is 1/3 of Hispaniola . Africa is the biggest continent in the world.
  • Copper
    Options
    Africa is not homogenous
  • white sympathizer
    Options

The closest liquor store to me is a wegmans and the nearest reataurant is a thai food restaurant

Try again stupid

nNABN0QHELAFN.jpg

Hey, aint my fault africans are lazy and cowardly, looking for a handout in their own damn country, absolutely PATHETIC
  • Busta Carmichael
    Busta Carmichael Members, Moderators Posts: 13,161 Regulator
    Options

Try again stupid

So how many food restaurant do you own in Thailand? How many black people own ? in Thailand?

Asians are literally everywhere and venture out of their countries to start businesses. Just the other day there was a thread of the Chinese buying real estate in Detroit. The takeover is real.
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I knew this ? went to africa...she said all real africans in the slums n white people control the beach area...

They got hoed out for africas resources
  • white sympathizer
    edited August 2016
    Options

Try again stupid

So how many food restaurant do you own in Thailand? How many black people own ? in Thailand?

Asians are literally everywhere and venture out of their countries to start businesses. Just the other day there was a thread of the Chinese buying real estate in Detroit. The takeover is real.

? how many asian army bases are in europe?

America?

Australia?

Stop making excuses, you sound like those africans "but but but gimme gimme"
  • D0wn
    Options

Africa is being colonized by the Chinese...as we speak.
    Africa is the most resource, mineral rich continent on this planet.
    for any country in africa, to be begging outsiders for help, is asnine ? .

Theirs so many minerals, and materials that are impactful in our day to day lives that are only exclusive to africa.
    U out here talking about africa house some of the richest blks on the planet, as if im supposed to be impressed .
    ? , poor ass countries like Haiti and Jamaica have ? living there with super old money. africa with its credentials, is supposed to be home to several super powers.
  • D0wn
    Options

U comparing restaurants to army bases ?Really ? ?
    Go take a time out.
  • Max.
    Options
    "We used to be kings"

((((Lmao))))
  • Max.
    Options
    Max. wrote: »
    "We used to be kings"

((((Lmao))))

Lmao, ? u a mexican, U was never nothing.

Well even as a half mexican...there was aztec kings...

Keep telln yaself that ? tho lol