Portland Public Schools Accused Of Being Racist For Banning Rap Music

Options
1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
portland-school-bus-rap-music-ban-636x353.png

PORTLAND, OR – Several outraged parents lashed out at Portland Public Schools officials once they got a whiff of the policy put into place to silence all rap music on their children’s buses.

They allege it was a measure of racism, used to stifle music favorable to black people. It’s not exactly the type of stigma one wants to see attached in what is reportedly the whitest major city in the United States.

Back in March of this year, Teri Brady, senior director of transportation at Portland Public Schools, sent a memorandum to all bus drivers in the district, officially forbidding them to play “religious, rap music, or talk show programs” while practically deeming pop, country and jazz stations ? ’s gift to sound.

A copy of the memo only begun to circulate parents’ radar this week and it immediately spelled controversy for the school board.

“I think it’s overtly racist and leaves out two of our major communities in our music choices,” said Colleen Ryan-Onken, a white parent, told The Oregonian.

Ryan-Onken also took great exception to the notion that Latin music was completely omitted from the conversation and country music was being classified as a safe choice for students.

“Country music is offensive. It’s about ? , liquor and drugs — all kinds of things!” she exclaimed. “It’s just as offensive as rap music can be.”

Another white parent, Kim Sordyl, wrote a concerned letter to school board vice chairwoman Amy Kohnstamm, expressing how she too, felt the rap music ban was racist.

“PPS has a spent a lot of taxpayer dollars on a PR show of equity. It has a ‘Racial Equity Policy,’ ‘equity lens’ table tents & posters, $9 million/year is spent on no-bid equity contractors (who donated to your campaign),” she wrote.

Backlash typically breeds buckling and The Oregonian reported yesterday (August 25) that the school board was going back to the drawing board on its playlist options.

“We regret the way this was communicated. Our intent is to limit student exposure to religious teachings, profanity and violent lyrics,” Portland Public Schools spokeswoman Courtney Westling said, citing that her district had been privy to several complaints. “The transportation department will be revising its guidance to bus drivers shortly to be more inclusive of different genres of music.”

In the legendary words of the honorable Marshall Bruce Mathers III, “Get aware, wake up, get a sense of humor/Quit tryin’ to censor music, this is for your kid’s amusement.”

Comments

• white sympathizer
    white sympathizer Members Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Aint nothing racist about not wanting to hear that marble mouth nonsensical ? that passes for rap today

I dont wanna hear that ? either, ? dont even be speaking English.
  • not_osirus_jenkins
    not_osirus_jenkins Members, Banned Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Aint nothing racist about not wanting to hear that marble mouth nonsensical ? that passes for rap today

? shut the ? up, do you ride a ? school bus? You don't have kids, so worrying about other people's kids is some sort of ? ? .
  • white sympathizer
    edited August 2016
    Options

? shut the ? up, do you ride a ? school bus? You don't have kids, so worrying about other people's kids is some sort of ? ? .

First off boy, i suggest you take all that so called tone out your ? typing

2nd, the only kids you have are those you donated to a sperm bank, because aint NO ? on this or any other planet THAT desperate for ? , so this ? will never concern your punk ass, you got that boy?
  • bgoat
    bgoat Members Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Well, Oregon was founded for whites only. They originally didn't want blacks in the state. I wouldn't doubt if it's still like this to a certain degree

https://oregonencyclopedia.org/articles/exclusion_laws/#.V78pz_krLcs
    Black Exclusion Laws in Oregon
    Oregon's racial makeup has been shaped by three black exclusion laws that were in place during much of the region's early history. These laws, all later rescinded, largely succeeded in their aim of discouraging free blacks from settling in Oregon early on, ensuring that Oregon would develop as primarily white.

White emigrants who came to present-day Oregon during the 1840s and 1850s generally opposed slavery, but many also opposed living alongside African Americans. Many were nonslaveholding farmers from Missouri and other border states who had struggled to compete against those who owned slaves. To avoid a similar competitive situation in Oregon, they favored excluding blacks entirely, although a small number did settle in region. A few immigrants brought slaves to Oregon during this time, taking advantage of the lack of enforcement of Oregon's anti-slavery laws.

Oregon's small white population had voted on July 5, 1843, to prohibit slavery by incorporating into Oregon's 1843 Organic laws a provision of the 1787 Northwest Ordinance: "There shall be neither slavery nor involuntary servitude in the said territory otherwise than in the punishment of crimes whereof the party shall have been duly convicted.'' The law was amended, however, on June 26, 1844, by the provisional government's new legislative council, headed by Missouri immigrant Peter Burnett. As amended, the law prohibited slavery, gave slaveholders a time limit to “remove” their slaves “out of the country,” and freed slaves if their owners refused to remove them.

The effect was to legalize slavery in Oregon for three years. Moreover, once freed, a former slave could not stay in Oregon—a male would have to leave after two years, a female after three. Any free black who refused to leave would be subject to lashing, a provision that was known as "Peter Burnett's lash law." Burnett, who later became the first U.S. governor of California, gave this explanation for his support for the law: "The object is to keep clear of that most troublesome class of population [blacks]. We are in a new world, under the most favorable circumstances and we wish to avoid most of those evils that have so much afflicted the United States and other countries.''

Because the lashing penalty was judged to be unduly harsh, the council substituted a lesser penalty later that year, and voters rescinded the law in 1845 before anyone could be punished. The law did discourage at least one settler—George Bush, a Pennsylvania-born free black who had been a successful farmer in Missouri. After arriving in Oregon with his wife and six sons, he decided to settle north of the Columbia River near Puget Sound, out of the reach of the 1844 Oregon law.

The second exclusion law was enacted by the Territorial Legislature on September 21, 1849. This law specified that “it shall not be lawful for any ? or mulatto to enter into, or reside” in Oregon, with exceptions made for those who were already in the territory. The law targeted African American ? who might be tempted to jump ship. The preamble to the law addressed a concern that African Americans might “intermix with Indians, instilling into their minds feelings of hostility toward the white race.'' The law was rescinded in 1854.

At least one person was expelled under the law. Jacob Vanderpool, reportedly a sailor from the West Indies, arrived in Oregon in 1850 and was arrested and expelled from the territory. Exclusion orders were issued against at least three other blacks during this period, but they received enough support from whites that they were allowed to stay.

Delegates to Oregon's constitutional convention submitted an exclusion clause to voters on November 7, 1857, along with a proposal to legalize slavery. Voters disapproved of slavery by a wide margin, ensuring that Oregon would be a free state, and approved the exclusion clause by a wide margin. Incorporated into the Bill of Rights, the clause prohibited blacks from being in the state, owning property, and making contracts. Oregon thus became the only free state admitted to the Union with an exclusion clause in its constitution.

The clause was never enforced, although several attempts were made in the legislature to pass an enforcement law. The 1865 legislature rejected a proposal for a county-by-county census of blacks that would have authorized the county sheriffs to deport blacks. A Senate committee killed the last attempt at legislative enforcement in 1866. The clause was rendered moot by the 14th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, although it was not repealed by voters until 1926. Other racist language in the state constitution was removed in 2002.

Although the exclusion laws were not generally enforced, they had their intended effect of discouraging black settlers. The 1860 census for Oregon, for example, reported 128 African Americans in a total population of 52,465. In 2013, only 2 percent of the Oregon population was black.

• Allah_U_Akbar
    Allah_U_Akbar Members Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Y'all gotta admit even the radio edits of some raps songs be crossing the line.

A lotta that ain't really appropriate for the easily offended.
  • not_osirus_jenkins
    Options

2nd, the only kids you have are those you donated to a sperm bank, because aint NO ? on this or any other planet THAT desperate for ? , so this ? will never concern your punk ass, you got that boy?

Yea, that boy ? doesn't do anything to me coming from a ? . Stop being sexually attracted to children.
  • white sympathizer
    Options

Yea, that boy ? doesn't do anything to me coming from a ? . Stop being sexually attracted to children.

Point that ? out boy, ill wait

On the plus side for you, you got a better chance of finding some ? ? about me than getting ?

• jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm not mad at that. Alot of mainstream rap music celebrates drug dealing and drug using, misogyny, murder, robbery, etc.

Context matters. They also banned religion and "talk shows" (meaning Rush Limbaugh and the like)

Besides black people listen to more than rap music. Also a lot of black parents don't let their kids listen to rap. Do whatever you want at home but that ain't home.
  • I Self Lord & Master
    I Self Lord & Master Members Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    they could've easily banned songs with certain easily defined content

this makes me curious of whos on the board that approves and rejects whats implemented. ..as well as the history of approvals and rejections...and whos drawing potential bills
  • optimistic
    optimistic Members Posts: 659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    I'm not mad at that. Alot of mainstream rap music celebrates drug dealing and drug using, misogyny, murder, robbery, etc.

Context matters. They also banned religion and "talk shows" (meaning Rush Limbaugh and the like)

Besides black people listen to more than rap music. Also a lot of black parents don't let their kids listen to rap. Do whatever you want at home but that ain't home.

Why not just say "no radio at all"?
    Plenty of drinking, cursing, fighting, in country music as well, but she calls it acceptable.
    Pop music nowadays is nothing more than thot tutorials
    and keep it real.... 4 people in Oregon listen to jazz and 3 of them play for the Blazers
  • R0mp
    R0mp Members Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They ? up by banning a genre and not specific content.

Doubt they'd put that much thought into it anyway, though.
  • not_osirus_jenkins
    Options

On the plus side for you, you got a better chance of finding some ? ? about me than getting ?

You like toddlers...? yourself.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    optimistic wrote: »
    jono wrote: »

Why not just say "no radio at all"?
    Plenty of drinking, cursing, fighting, in country music as well, but she calls it acceptable.
    Pop music nowadays is nothing more than thot tutorials
    and keep it real.... 4 people in Oregon listen to jazz and 3 of them play for the Blazers

I don't know enough about country ot pop to criticize but I do know enough about rap to say its not for child consumption.
  • white sympathizer
    Options

You like fetus, hang yourself
  • not_osirus_jenkins
    Options

Kid diddler
  • white sympathizer
    Options

Kid diddler

Baby banger
  • SmashinYourWaifu
    SmashinYourWaifu Members Posts: 595 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    R0mp wrote: »

? its radio stations. How do you ban specific content being played by radio stations
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    both rap and dancehall will be banned in my house
  • iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Dudes a white troll don't bother brotha
  • Fosheezy
    Fosheezy Members Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There's racial discrimination included for the simple fact it's targeting a genre in which 99 percent of the music and artists are black as well majority black listeners u can't argue against that
  • HafBayked
    HafBayked Members Posts: 16,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • R0mp
    R0mp Members Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    R0mp wrote: »

? its radio stations. How do you ban specific content being played by radio stations

Ok, I looked at it. I'm surprised there wasn't Christian outrage at the banning of "religious".