Lil Yachty Can't Name 5 Songs By Biggie Or Tupac

Options
124»

Comments

• ChillaDaKilla
    ChillaDaKilla Members, Banned Users Posts: 7,082 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lupe is a different case though......he came up not listening to rap of any kind...his first exposure was It Was Written by Nas which is why Nas is his favorite emcee
  • KLICHE
    KLICHE Members Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm 36 and can't name 5 tracks by Biggie.
  • SheerExcellence
    SheerExcellence Members Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Lab Baby wrote: »
    when lupe didn't know ? about ATCQ even though he was performing a verse of theirs on hip hop honors, did y'all go as hard on him as you did on RHQ and now lil yachty?

im not caping, just asking an honest question...

i really don't care what a 17 year old thinks about music 20 years ago
    i know when dre made the chronic and snoop's first album, all the old heads were telling me that was nothing but "talking over parliament funkadelic beats" and they'd go on and on about p-funk and all that and in my head all i heard was "blah blah blah"

i imagine this is the same thing
    tupac and biggie was OUR generation, these kids have their own generation, let them rock

The difference tho is, P Funk and Dre/Snoop were different genres. It's not like them dudes were R&B singers or keyboardists and disregarded their legacy. If anything, they reintroduced those dudes to a new generation. Matter of fact, they even went as far as working with those artists in the future. I honestly wouldn't know who Roger Troutman was if it wasn't for Dre and Pac. These new dudes are just ignorant to their past and completely unwilling to learn.

To us it's the same genre, but to these kids it isn't. What yatchy is doing has nothing to do with rakim. These 16 year old kids don't care about music from twenty years ago the same way most 16 year olds haven't from dawn of music. Most ppl ain't vibing with ? their parents did, that's just how it is.
    This ain't no different than when heavy metal ppl were saying ? rolling stones. It is the same thing.

The same way black Panthers were saying ? mlk.

The thing i don't understand is rock n roll, Heavy metal, punk rock, and hip hop... All initially came out being like ? the past, this is our ? . That's the foundation for any rebellious music...

But now that the youth are doing it to hiphop and heavy metal the oldies wanna say this is not fair. The same way guns n roses was mad because nirvana(kurt cobain) kept dissing them every chance he got...

This is what young kids do and they always have done this. There was once a writer/philosopher who kept complaining about the talents of the young kids of his time and how the kids had no respect, and didn't pay homage to the elders who paved the way... You know who that writer was? Socrates back in b.c days and ? ...
    Ain't nothing changed my ? .
    Hip hop ain't special and immune to ?

Overall young kids don't care about old stuff and why would they?
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It is what is b........these lil ? don't know ? ....and I don't expect them to.

Which is pathetic. If ppl dont know their past, they have no foundation to build on.... hence why we have all this trash music.

When Mike, Prince and Stevie were blowing up in the late 70's early 80's they were all but 20,21... yet they respected and knew their past. they knew Lil Richard, Jackie Wilson, James Brown, B.B King, Muddy Waters, Chuck Berry...
    That's how they was able to build and take music, and the arts to levels never seen before because, they built on the past.

Idagf about age. U a ? rapper, and u don't know music from ? who are legends and are staple in the genre u practice ? ??????
    Its not like u gotta go to a record store, and know what to look for....you can just go on YouTube, Spotify, Tidal, or Apple Music, and discover the last 40-50 years of music....
    There's no excuse... you can tell what artists respect the past, from the type of music they make.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hmmm I see y'all point about not calling it hip hop

But best believe "mumble rap" ain't as popular as you think
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    50 Tyson paved the way
  • scrapper1
    scrapper1 Members Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    KLICHE wrote: »

Asinine..
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Contrary to the commercial takeover opinion of rap, Biggie and Pac are NOT pioneers of Hip-Hop. Rap did not start with them.

How many of you guys can name 5 KRS songs? Or 5 Rakim songs? Kane? Those are the real classic acts.

Biggie and 2pac overall are considered better artists then the ones you named by most, so it's not the same. I get your point but Biggie and 2pac had much better songs then Rakim and Kane, let's be real. I say this as someone who has Rakim and BDK albums, so to me Yachty is more out of line.

Obviously I disagree, but now we're just arguing opinion if we go down that road. I'm just pointing out that Pac and Biggie were not the first ? to do this ? , or the first ? to go commercial, so it doesn't make sense to act like not knowing their catalog is some rap taboo ? , when there's real pioneers that don't get their respect.

Biggie and Pac were just one of the pack.
  • smp4life
    smp4life Members Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    when lupe didn't know ? about ATCQ even though he was performing a verse of theirs on hip hop honors, did y'all go as hard on him as you did on RHQ and now lil yachty?

i know when dre made the chronic and snoop's first album, all the old heads were telling me that was nothing but "talking over parliament funkadelic beats" and they'd go on and on about p-funk and all that and in my head all i heard was "blah blah blah"

tupac and biggie was OUR generation, these kids have their own generation, let them rock

The difference tho is, P Funk and Dre/Snoop were different genres. It's not like them dudes were R&B singers or keyboardists and disregarded their legacy. If anything, they reintroduced those dudes to a new generation. Matter of fact, they even went as far as working with those artists in the future. I honestly wouldn't know who Roger Troutman was if it wasn't for Dre and Pac. These new dudes are just ignorant to their past and completely unwilling to learn.

To us it's the same genre, but to these kids it isn't. What yatchy is doing has nothing to do with rakim. These 16 year old kids don't care about music from twenty years ago the same way most 16 year olds haven't from dawn of music. Most ppl ain't vibing with ? their parents did, that's just how it is.
    This ain't no different than when heavy metal ppl were saying ? rolling stones. It is the same thing.

The thing i don't understand is rock n roll, Heavy metal, punk rock, and hip hop... All initially came out being like ? the past, this is our ? . That's the foundation for any rebellious music...

But now that the youth are doing it to hiphop and heavy metal the oldies wanna say this is not fair. The same way guns n roses was mad because nirvana(kurt cobain) kept dissing them every chance he got...

This is what young kids do and they always have done this. There was once a writer/philosopher who kept complaining about the talents of the young kids of his time and how the kids had no respect, and didn't pay homage to the elders who paved the way... You know who that writer was? Socrates back in b.c days and ? ...

Respect and influence? I bet 22 year old rockers can name 5 Nirvana songs, 5 Led Zeppelin songs, etc...
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How the ? you can't name 5 Pac songs though.

Throw him in the trash.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    pill poppin culture...
  • SheerExcellence
    Options
    smp4life wrote: »

Respect and influence? I bet 22 year old rockers can name 5 Nirvana songs, 5 Led Zeppelin songs, etc...

Kurt cobain was openly insulting to guns n roses and motley crew and would say he never ? with their albums. Young artists have always shown this disrespect, not ALL, but it's not unheard of.

Led zeppelin was panned by most critics when they came out and even today many ppl still view them as over the top, arrogant, self indulgent, and played overly dramatic "poppy" rock. Punk music came about because young rockers hated all the ? people like led zepplin represented.

This idea of a happy group of rockers from led zepplin to kiss to poison, to rolling stones to nirvana to linkin psrk to whoever is popular now...all sitting around at a table knowing each other's music and paying homage to each other is simply not true.

The same exact thing ppl are mad abt with yatchy they said the SAME EXACT ? in 1992 when the grunge rock guys were dissing the metal bands like ac/dc and guns n roses....

I'm telling you man this is nothing new. Frank Sinatra thought elvis didn't pay him any respect because Elvis said i don't listen to that. Then Elvis didn't like the Beatles because they didn't like his ? music.... Then the punk rockets like Sid viscous said Beatles were ? , then guns n roses said punk rock was ? them nirvana said guns n roses is ?

Please stop fooling yourself to think this is new to hip hop. If anything it's simply the same ol think going on. Young kids asserting their claim on art and old folks getting mad that their time had passed.

It's COOL if a young kid likes biggie or tupac, but sorry folks, it doesn't have to be a requirement. They aren't us. They have different experiences and a different world.

• Muhannad
    Muhannad Members Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Will this wack n*gga be talked about in 3 years? Who cares what he knows or doesn't know. He could recite 2pac and Biggie's entire discography. That wouldn't change the fact he's wack af. Just like how a decade ago people were talking about these Party like a rockstar n*ggas. Where are they now? Wack n*ggas don't sustain. Even if they have a few hits.
  • x the unknown
    x the unknown Members Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

you dumb as ? aye
  • Ghostdenithegawd
    Ghostdenithegawd Members Posts: 16,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Hit em up
    Ambitions as a ride
    To live and die in LA
    Hail Mary
    Dear mama
    Brenda had a baby
    Hit me up

juicy
    Hypnotize
    ? bleed
    Machine gun funk
    Gimme da loot
    Kick in da door

My memory regarding entertainment is super trash I thought I couldn't name 5 songs my dam self for a second

But the ? is only 19 and was brought up in the absolute worst years of rap you really can't be madone at the kid it's unnecessary
  • Soloman_The_Wise
    Soloman_The_Wise Members Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

As much as I am not a fan of Dude I could probably name 10-20 off the dome...
  • smp4life
    smp4life Members Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Kurt cobain was openly insulting to guns n roses and motley crew and would say he never ? with their albums. Young artists have always shown this disrespect, not ALL, but it's not unheard of.

Led zeppelin was panned by most critics when they came out and even today many ppl still view them as over the top, arrogant, self indulgent, and played overly dramatic "poppy" rock. Punk music came about because young rockers hated all the ? people like led zepplin represented.

This idea of a happy group of rockers from led zepplin to kiss to poison, to rolling stones to nirvana to linkin psrk to whoever is popular now...all sitting around at a table knowing each other's music and paying homage to each other is simply not true.

The same exact thing ppl are mad abt with yatchy they said the SAME EXACT ? in 1992 when the grunge rock guys were dissing the metal bands like ac/dc and guns n roses....

I'm telling you man this is nothing new. Frank Sinatra thought elvis didn't pay him any respect because Elvis said i don't listen to that. Then Elvis didn't like the Beatles because they didn't like his ? music.... Then the punk rockets like Sid viscous said Beatles were ? , then guns n roses said punk rock was ? them nirvana said guns n roses is ?

Please stop fooling yourself to think this is new to hip hop. If anything it's simply the same ol think going on. Young kids asserting their claim on art and old folks getting mad that their time had passed.

It's COOL if a young kid likes biggie or tupac, but sorry folks, it doesn't have to be a requirement. They aren't us. They have different experiences and a different world.

I hear you but punk and punk influenced acts were a result of an active dislike for self-indulgent rock like Glam metal and corporate rock. I don't think lil yachty is that aware. Why are the Rolling Stones still relevant but old hip-hop acts can't get booked unless they go to Europe? Also, the Beatles were Elvis fans.
  • ChillaDaKilla
    ChillaDaKilla Members, Banned Users Posts: 7,082 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Naw man you wrong Kurt respected rock music and blues music . He hated hair metal and glam metal which was dominating the scene in the mid to late 80's....it's like an Underground hip hopper dissing shiny suit rap....Kurt still pay homaged to BB. King and Muddy Waters the ones who came before him
  • geechiedanbuford214
    geechiedanbuford214 Members Posts: 456 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm 30 and couldn't name 5 songs by rakim, big daddy Kane, or a few other pioneers

Me neither and the reasoning is I came up on RapALot and strictly west coast music to each it's own though
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I hear, and you make some good points, but I think you're stretching the truth a bit. Like others have pointed out, Cobain highly admired many of his "elders," everyone from the Beatles to even Public Enemy. I thought his beef with Pearl Jam, Guns N Roses, etc., was more about personal matters and creative differences.

It's not surprising that Led Zeppelin, like any divergent innovator, was panned, but it always takes time to appreciate those kind of artists. Still, Zeppelin was influenced by many predecessors and influenced many successors.

Punk rockers rebelled against their immediate predecessors, but they idolized 50s/60s rock.

Agreed, but it's a bit more complicated than that. Rock is a huge genre filled with so many subgenres. The succession of musicians gets a lot smoother when you look at those specific subgenres, imo.

Yeah, but one could argue that grunge owes more of its inheritance from punk/alternative. Cobain, for instance, loved everything from the Pixies to the Stooges.

Yeah, but again, I think it becomes more congruous when you look at the subgenres and the more direct lineages. Swing music (Sinatra) doesn't have a strong transition to "classic" rock (Elvis). I bet Elvis was a bigger fan of country and rhythm and blues than swing.

Yeah, but I still think it's a bit more complicated. Lil Yachty, or whatever his name is, clearly wasn't borne from Biggie and Pac. But he does have influences from elders, whomever they may be. Just because they're not Biggie or Pac doesn't mean anyone needs to get on their high horse and condemn the "new ? " generation.

If anything, this just shows how rap has evolved into many different subgenres, many of which are up for debate on whether they even constitute rap. Question: what will "rap" really look like 50 years from now? I think it will look very different from today or yesterday, either for better or for worse. Remember, rap is relatively still young. My pops is older than rap.

Agreed. I'm a 90s head, but you people are playing the "purest" card a little too hard. They all can't be Biggie or Pac fans. C'mon, get over yourself. Let's be real here.
  • anduin
    anduin Members Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    Rap music is the only genre where elders are expected to be disregarded and disrespected at some point. You damn sure won't hear a young guitarist talking about how Slash from Guns and Roses ain't ? or they don't know how he plays.

I hear this all the time how rap is a young person's game and to a large extent it is because the youth come with new sounds and music. But we've seen people like Fat Joe, as a recent example, of someone who can adopt the new sound and put his spin on it. I think a lot of old heads just want to rap like when they first dropped and most of the time the younger crowd isn't checking for that sound.
  • uncommonsense
    uncommonsense Members Posts: 475 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Turfaholic wrote: »
    50 Tyson paved the way

We gotta show Eli Porter some love also cuz we can't hate the guy for obvious reasons but he pioneered this sub-genre.

I really ain't surprised with this new era not being hip to what's good.

Did their parents fail them? If so, these lil' poo putts parents probably had these ? as teenagers. And if we gone put blame on them, we might have to look at some ourselves also.

My seed is almost two, he'll surpass all these young lost ? in a year or two. Him and their logic already damn near neck and neck.

Edit: And I wouldn't be surprised if he can't name 5-10 of his own songs without looking at a tracklist. Kid looks seriously mental.
  • SheerExcellence
    Options

Naw man you wrong Kurt respected rock music and blues music . He hated hair metal and glam metal which was dominating the scene in the mid to late 80's....it's like an Underground hip hopper dissing shiny suit rap....Kurt still pay homaged to BB. King and Muddy Waters the ones who came before him

I never said Kurt didn't respect rock music, i specifically said guns n roses and those hair metal bands...

I don't know who yatchy likes but he has paid respect to Gucci and soulja boy... So clearly he does like SOME acts.