With 90 Homicides, August Was Chicago’s Bloodiest Month In 20 Years

Options
Max.
Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
CHICAGO (CBS) — A 24-year-old man was killed and a 23-year-old man was grazed by a bullet in a shooting in the West Lawn neighborhood late Wednesday night, capping off the most violent month in Chicago in 20 years.

Chicago police said there were 90 homicides in August, and a total of 472 people shot in 384 separate attacks. The city has not had that many murders in one month since August 1996.

As he has several times before, Police Supt. Eddie Johnson said a relatively small group of repeat gun criminals are responsible for the the vast majority of gun violence in Chicago. The department maintains a watchlist of sorts, called the “strategic subject list,” which relies on an algorithm to try to predict who is most likely to be involved in a shooting – either as the shooter or victim – by analyzing data such as gang affiliations, criminal records, past shootings, and previous contact with police.

https://www.google.ca/amp/chicago.cbslocal.com/2016/09/01/with-90-homicides-august-was-chicagos-bloodiest-month-in-20-years/amp/

Comments

• Neophyte Wolfgang
    Neophyte Wolfgang Members Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    smh....feeling like the early 2000s
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Options
  • Dazzling
    Dazzling Members Posts: 410 ✭✭✭
    Options
  • babelipsss
    babelipsss Members Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sad. Why would anyone want to live like that?
  • blackgod813
    blackgod813 Members Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Eventually they ? each other off
  • Vellum
    Vellum Members Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    babelipsss wrote: »
    Sad. Why would anyone want to live like that?

Most in those neighborhoods dont. They ? hate it too. The savages are just a strong force to deal with if the government is not treating the situation damn near like acts of domestic terrorism. The savages dont care. Theyre brains are conditioned completely different.

You would think white supremacist are low key paying brothas to ? each other, considering how much we do it. That would make more sense than some of the reasons we know, read, or hear about why theyre doing what they do.

Chicago is a beautiful city, with everything going for it, but it has some of the most violent isolated blocks in this country. Its abnormal as ? whats going on there, and i think its far beyond being able to talk our way out of that situation. Hence why you hear people talking about bringing in the national guard there.
  • BEAM
    BEAM Members Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Context my ? . Ya'll didn't put the context.

There're still more people being killed in both NYC and LA; A lot more. That's the context.
    But as I said then -- Higher populations beget lower murder rates, which illustrate what seems like less of an issue.

We won't do this again tho.
    ? still can't think critically and would rather believe what they're being told, as is. Bet.
  • Billy_Poncho
    Billy_Poncho Members Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What're the per capita numbers?
  • twizza 77
    twizza 77 Members Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    People act like Chicago is unique, while this happening in other cities as well.
  • BEAM
    BEAM Members Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Stiff wrote: »
    What else you got

So.. 393 murders, 12+ million people.

lol You believe that?
  • Vellum
    edited September 2016
    Options
    BEAM wrote: »
    Context my ? . Ya'll didn't put the context.

There're still more people being killed in both NYC and LA; A lot more. That's the context.
    But as I said then -- Higher populations beget lower murder rates, which illustrate what seems like less of an issue.

We won't do this again tho.
    ? still can't think critically and would rather believe what they're being told, as is. Bet.

Current numbers are

Chicago-471
    L.A County, which is much larger than just Los Angeles-431 (Los angeles alone is likely much lower as is pointed out in some of the below articles)
    NYC-222

Consider this also.

Population of Chicago-2.7 million
    Population of L.A County-10 million
    Population of NYC-8.4 million

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2016/09/01/chicago-has-seen-more-homicides-this-year-than-new-york-and-los-angeles-combined/?utm_term=.23788866b745

http://homicide.latimes.com/year/2016 (l.a county homicide counter)

https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20160830/woodlawn/chicago-has-had-more-murders-than-new-york-la-combined-this-year

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/02/us/chicago-august-homicides.html

• Vellum
    Options
    twizza 77 wrote: »
    People act like Chicago is unique, while this happening in other cities as well.

Nah, its pretty unique. Baltimore is pretty unique too, if not worse.

Baltimore population-622,000

Homicides in 2016 as of August 29th 2016- 200

Thats pretty absurd. Especially considering how isolated that is too, because thats not happening in all of baltimore. The map in the link below paints the picture for you.

http://chamspage.blogspot.com/2016/03/2016-baltimore-city-homicides-list-and.html

• Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Max. wrote: »

Several victims were white and latino..
  • Billy_Poncho
    Billy_Poncho Members Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Chicago isn't even top 30 in murder rate, city's just big af
  • Already Home_17
    Already Home_17 Members Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    twizza 77 wrote: »

so that makes it all good?
  • Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Guess, what we're not going to be hearing about around this next year? What Rex? Gun violence in Chicago.
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    this year been all bad as ? . even the considered "safe" areas are having high crimes of robbery and shootings
  • Vellum
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Chicago isn't even top 30 in murder rate, city's just big af

Yeah, i think it gets more attention because its so isolated to certain areas (but i guess isnt that always the case), and its such a well known city. Also huge popularization within our pop culture. I use to actually use flint michigan quite often instead of chicago, but thats known now more for bad water, than for how dangerous that city is.

Like, people just dont give a ? about cleavland, or oakland, or flint, or memphis, or even detroit for that matter. We're kinda just focused on a few core cities with problems, and direct our attention there. Well, the media directs our attention there.

With all that said, even having been to chicago twice with no problems. As was expected. I wasnt in problematic areas of the city. Im not gonna just dust its problems under the carpet. Like, ive told people plenty of times that baltimore is not a dystopian future city, you just have to know when to move, where to move, but that doesnt mean it doesnt still have severe issues. Just trying to quell the fears of people who only see it from the outside in, and think as soon as you step out your car EVERY morning, a ? is gonna shoot you in the head for breakfast anywhere in Bmore.
  • ghostdog56
    ghostdog56 Members Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They always talking about black homicide rates going up but yesterday in the hood I witnessed two white people overdosing on heroin and when I looked into it, it said that overdose deaths have almost tripled from this time last year in Louisville and I know most of them are white so the drug trade is killing them just as much as it is killing us but they never talk about that