The Internet is Changing

Options
MrCrookedLetter
MrCrookedLetter Members Posts: 22,376 ✭✭✭✭✭

Comments

• Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Basically the most popular sites like youtube are selling out via censorship
  • mrrealone
    mrrealone Members Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I was wondering when this would be posted here and I don't see any good about this move. We pretty much gonna be playing by ICann's rules and I don't even know why this move needs to be made. Hearing another guy speak on it, if this company crashes or has a big "glitch" how much will go down w/ it?? I don't know everything, but we'll find out....

http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-battle-over-obamas-internet-surrender-1465770111

The Battle Over Obama’s Internet Surrender
    Congress must act this summer to keep U.S. oversight and protection intact.

It’s make or break for the internet as we know it. Unless Congress acts this summer, the Obama administration will end U.S. protection of the internet, handing authoritarian regimes the power they have long sought to censor the web globally, including in the U.S.

The battle lines were drawn last week when the Obama administration backed a plan submitted by the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers, or Icann, to free itself in September from the U.S. oversight that has kept the internet open since the 1990s. In response, bills were introduced in the Senate and House to block the Obama internet surrender.

Instead of shielding the internet from governments, the plan gives governments new powers. Authoritarian regimes would gain greater influence over the Icann board, and for the first time governments would have a vote on bylaw changes, removal of the board and the budget.

http://fortune.com/2016/08/17/obama-internet-privatized/

Why Republicans Are Against Obama Privatizing Internet Governance

It’s a change to who controls domain registrations.

The Obama administration raised partisan concerns in Congress Tuesday, after members of his administration announced final plans to effectively privatize Internet governance.

The administration’s National Telecommunications & Information Administration yesterday announced it will transfer internet domain name authority (IANA) from the federal government to the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) on Oct. 1, a bipartisan effort that’s spanned three Presidents, according to NTIA Administrator Lawrence Strickling.

• CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol that damn Obama..

cant wait for the ? ? to try and spin this one..
  • leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Options
    The crux and danger of the Internet is that it can be a two way communication mechanism.

Tv shows and movies are one way communication. You accept whatever message and walk away,

The Internet is more dangerous than tv because people can broadcast uncontrolled messages. You have the power to object the message given to you, send out your own message, collaborate with like minds, and gain influence.

Smart money says develop a following then scale down the length of your videos. Post short non "controversial" snippets/intros of your videos on YouTube and direct them to your own website where the longer videos are. The short videos will still get monetizarion because of your subscriber base. Expand your message on the longer videos. YouTube or whatever won't own the rights to your content like they do now once you upload them there.
    Decentralize everything from YouTube, Facebook, etc...and use THEM and as advertisement and IG and similar sites as marketing for your own platform. Sell whatever service you have on your own platform.

Adapt.
  • iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    North Korea controls everything. I don't want to be like that.
  • scoop1215
    scoop1215 Members Posts: 592 ✭✭✭
    Options
    The UN is going to be in control of it basically other nations.
  • deadeye
    deadeye Members Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why though?

I mean, with all this government talk about cyber security being the next big national security threat............how does it benefit us to relinquish U.S. oversight?
  • dallas' 4 eva
    dallas' 4 eva Members Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    deadeye wrote: »
    Why though?

I mean, with all this government talk about cyber security being the next big national security threat............how does it benefit us to relinquish U.S. oversight?

The US has a TERRIBLE track record from what I've seen when it comes to cyber security.
  • mrrealone
    mrrealone Members Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol that damn Obama..

cant wait for the ? ? to try and spin this one..

Naw, they finna just run in here, look, and leave to the DNC thread....

I.
    Am.
    So.
    Glad.

I have been dld'g tons, and tons, and tons and tons of music vids, movies, conscious vids, gaming walkthroughs, interviews, comedy vids, etc... and anything else cause I figured this may come one day and I wouldn't be surprised if it got worse....
  • Fosheezy
    Fosheezy Members Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I remember the internet back in the 90's was so sick. you used to only knew like 3 people who had it. There was chat rooms you could actually meet girls on, you had AOL messenger and all, it felt like you could find ANYTHING on the net...for a while it's just been feeling like now things just aint the same ..and look like bout to get worse
  • BedStuy
    BedStuy Members Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'd be happy if the internet ceased to exist.
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Something new will come out, and take youtubes place.
  • CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Youtube is user content generated, the more people who move away from YT would force them to change the way they approach stuff like this, because they lose money
  • twizza 77
    twizza 77 Members Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Poor Tommy 'Crispy' Sotomayor no more struggle manison living.