Zendaya Says Vons Grocery Store Clerk Refused Her Service Because Of Her ‘Skin Tone’

Options
1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
Zendaya2.jpg

“Spider-Man: Homecoming” star says employee threw her wallet back at her when the actress tried to buy $400 worth of gift cards

Zendaya is outraged that a Vons grocery store clerk refused to sell her gift cards because of her “skin tone.”

According to the New York Daily News, the the Disney Channel alum vented about the incident in a series of Snapchat videos on Tuesday.

“So we just got out of this Vons. Now, I’m trying to buy a lot of gift cards … there are certain limits and some things, which is understandable; OK, cool,” the Disney Channel alum said in a series of Snapchat videos on Tuesday, according to the New York Daily News. “But the lady that was helping us, I don’t think she was a huge fan of our skin tone.”

According to the actress, who most recently booked a major role in Marvel’s “Spider-Man: Homecoming,” the sales associate threw Zendaya’s wallet and deliberately refused to help her.

“In fact, I recall her not trying to help us at all, saying that we couldn’t buy the gift cards, and then throwing my wallet … I just can’t make this s–t up,” she added. “And she was like, ‘You can’t afford this’ was how she looked at me. It was $400!”

According to People, the manager of the store later helped Zendaya purchase the gift cards.

“Long story short, there’s so much progress to be done in our world,” added Zendaya.

This isn’t the first time Zendaya has found herself in the midst of racial controversy. Just last month, when TheWrap reported exclusively that she would be playing Mary Jane Watson in “Homecoming,” there were a number of “Spider-Man” fans who were upset that the iconic comic book character was not being played by a white redhead.

In June, she allegedly dropped her publicist because of racially insensitive remarks during a photoshoot.

And last year, Giuliana Rancic said Zendaya’s dreadlocks smelled “like patchouli oil and weed” during a red carpet appearance.

“There is already harsh criticism of African-American hair in society without the help of ignorant people who choose to judge others based on the curl of their hair,” Zendaya wrote about the incident.

Rancic later apologized.

A representative for Vons has not yet responded to TheWrap’s request for comment.

Comments

• Stomp Johnson
    Stomp Johnson Members, Writer Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That Rancic ? looks like a spoon. I been sayin it for years. I won't even bother posting her pic to ruin yalls day.

Fuckouttaheah tryna talk ? .

• Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • ThaNubianGod
    ThaNubianGod Members Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This ? happens to everyone at the grocery store. Welcome to the real world Zendaya
  • SmashinYourWaifu
    SmashinYourWaifu Members Posts: 595 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hol up how old is she
  • SmashinYourWaifu
    Options
  • SmashinYourWaifu
    Options
    Hol up how old is she

Between 19 and 22, that's good enough for you, or you prefer fresher out the oven?

I can make exceptions
  • Vellum
    Vellum Members Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Heres the video. It sounds like she initially couldnt buy as many cards as she wanted due to some limitations (this is probably some state/federal ? so drug dealers cannot buy a ? ton of prepaid debit cards, or launder money through gift cards), so they bought a lesser amount, but the lady was being a ? about it. Im not sure it was about race, or was she just being a ? because she didnt feel like ringing up a bunch of cards.

Shes 19 (we all victimize ourselves in youth, regardless of race), and some ? ? is amping her up. I dont know how to get through to the truth on this one.

Im hype for her in spiderman though. LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLaRp7qiuEE
  • Vellum
    Vellum Members Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Trillfate wrote: »
    I have a feeling cacs might legit boycott the new Spiderman flick

Calm down. lol
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Zendaya is cool, but this is Hilarious cause, Zenadya barley looks blk...
    some biracial ppl clearly look blk... others dont, she's one who don't.
    So i doubt, she was refused service cause of the color of her skin, from the video she posted she looks pale as ? . I doubt the clerk even knew she was blk.
  • blackgod813
    blackgod813 Members Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mary jane should be white with hair to keep with authenticity
  • ThaNubianGod
    Options
    D0wn wrote: »
    So i doubt, she was refused service cause of the color of her skin, from the video she posted she looks pale as ? . I doubt the clerk even knew she was blk.

Exactly. I've been followed through stores since I was 9, there's nothing "hidden" when clerks are being racist to you. Zendaya is lighter than Kat, and just looking for sympathy. Grocery store clerks are living that "paper or plastic" life, so they're not the nicest folk out there. It's like going tot he DMV and saying they're treating you bad because their racist.
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    She said our skin tone. She prolly was with a couple black friends as well.

She dont look white either.
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Options
    TheGOAT wrote: »
    She said our skin tone. She prolly was with a couple black friends as well.

She dont look white either.

I like Zendaya, she has a good head on her shoulders, but from this video, on first sight yes she does look white.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLaRp7qiuEE
  • MazterChef
    MazterChef Members Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • ThaNubianGod
    Options
    MissK wrote: »

Exactly. I've been followed through stores since I was 9, there's nothing "hidden" when clerks are being racist to you. Zendaya is lighter than Kat, and just looking for sympathy. Grocery store clerks are living that "paper or plastic" life, so they're not the nicest folk out there. It's like going tot he DMV and saying they're treating you bad because their racist.

I'm on the lighter side but I disagree. Idk if what she experienced was racist but I've dealt with plenty of covert and overt racism.

Too many whites don't gaf if you are lighter and that's what bothers me about the light/dark debate. It might not be the same as your experience but it's there.

My problem is she's equating rudeness to racism, and then going to social media for sympathy. I'm out here in Hollyweird and these celebs think everyone knows who they are, and that not kissing their butt is offensive. I can't speak on this specific altercation because Zendaya really didn't elaborate on how the clerk was being racist, but the whiny stories I hear from celebs on everyday occurrences are a joke. Comedians and blue-collar celebs are cool, but a lot of them live in their own world.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    PUT SOME RESPECK ON MY BABY NAME YALL
  • Melqart
    Melqart Guests, Members Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

fact is she don't look white

and she was accompanied with a blk man

i would say that is enough to garner some ? looks and suspicions

I met her in person in Hollywood before I knew who she was. She looked like a lanky ass Mexican to me. *shrugs*