Is The Rap Culture Destroying Black People?

Options

Comments

• traestar
    traestar Members Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The music I listen to, I can't relate to this post
  • Huey_C
    Huey_C Members Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    D. Morgan wrote: »
    Funny how Malcolm X, MLK, presidents, ? and others can influence people with their words to uplift folks or destroy nations.

Yet when it comes to destructive rap music lyrics they have no influence on impressionable young minds.

Anyone who disputes this is a fool

/thread.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    Mr.LV wrote: »
    Mister B. wrote: »
    Turn the ? radio and BET/vh1 off. That should help.

BET doesn't even play rap videos anymore .

They don't even play videos period. That's an old easy target people go to when criticizing rap. Blame BET. Does music influence? Yes it always has and always will. Does rap have some negative influence? Yes to deny that would be willful ignorance but it's no more negative than any bad influence from any other genre...but it's never been as negative an influence as people have tried to make it out to be.
  • rapmusic
    rapmusic Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I became a hip hop fan in the 80's. I knew about Run DMC and them but hip hop didn't really move me until 1988. That's when ? got real. When Big Daddy Kane's ain't no half steppin video came on I was hooked! Then I remember seeing the I ain't no joke video and being like them ? cool as ? ! I was 9 years old in 1988. I grew up in Georgia so of course we didn't get many rap videos until Yo MTV Raps came out.. I had to get my videos from Night Tracks on TBS and back before MTV played black artists. I said all that to say this... I think hip hop can have a bad influence on you especially kids, it just depends on how you interpret it. By the time NWA Blew up I was too far into what was already happening. I was never a guy who was directly influenced by gangsta rap.. I always laughed at it personally. I was like you ain't like killing people while you're out here on tour. That's not real. The thing we had back in the day vs now is we had options in hip hop. So many different styles and sounds. You say that to people and thru say good hip hop music is out there, you just have to look for it. I mean people are lazy man, everybody is not out here searching for new music like that. Why can't radio play different ? and let the people decide who is hot. Most of the music on the radio is negative. It's not hard to believe that folks are manipulated by it. I think the radio and tv have the power to shift the culture but they really won't. Hell we on social media could shift hip hop if we really wanted to. People love these guys too much though
  • MazterChef
    MazterChef Members Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    D. Morgan wrote: »
    Funny how Malcolm X, MLK, presidents, ? and others can influence people with their words to uplift folks or destroy nations.

Yet when it comes to destructive rap music lyrics they have no influence on impressionable young minds.

this is the most powerful quote on this site
  • blacktux
    blacktux Members Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The damage is done.
  • LcnsdbyROYALTY
    LcnsdbyROYALTY Members Posts: 13,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    JokerzWyld wrote: »
    Commerce destroys culture and communalism. There is more to rap than mainstream radio and television.

Mainstream reaches the masses, does it not? True, there's more to it, but what type of rap is ubiquitous out here? We both know the answer.
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Ounceman
    Ounceman Members Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Well first off, not all of rap culture is what I would deem destructive. However the subgenre of rap that is, which is what I'm sure your alluding to, I would say yes it can have a negative influence. But even the extent of that influence is minimal. And much of it impacts only a particular class structure within the African American society. Black people overall have lower dropout rates, more are enrolling in college than ever, especially black women. And crime for the most part has been trending down. So if rap culture is destroying back people, the destruction is negligible
  • LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY
    LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY Members, Writer Posts: 17,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Well the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. It personally influenced me in more ways than one. Most notably womanizing, foul language, and drug use. And I was almost destroyed because of the choices I made. I'm not going to blame rap music for forcing me to do what I did, but I know that rap music definitely influenced me to make the choices I did.

When all you constantly hear is:

1. Have sex with as many women as you can
    2. Do drugs, it's cool.
    3. Hate everybody that is not with you
    4. Shoot, ? , murder, bang, bang anybody that is the enemy
    5. Money this, money that
    6. With every curse word imaginable laced between every other word
    (side note for #6-Girls are cool with being called "hoes, ? , thots" and every other derogatory term. Rap music played a big part in the mainstream use of these words being directed toward women. Now they call each other by those names with no problem it seems like. It's kind of crazy when you think about it.)

how can you not be influenced by the messages you are pumping into your soul when all you are letting in is what it's listed above? It happened to me! I haven't always been saved. And I know how I was before I was saved. All I did was listen to Mac dre, suga free, no limit, lil wayne, pac, big, etc. back in the day. And there was nothing positive in that mix of music. And my life showed it.

Now that I know the truth after coming to the light of Jesus Christ I see the bigger picture at work. And there is a spiritual enemy that is behind all things that are ungodly. A spiritual enemy who is an expert in music and entertainment, being that he once led all the host of heaven in worship music to ? . So it's no wonder that he clothes himself as an angel of light in order to deceive humanity. His PhD is in deception. And there is no one better than him at doing it.

Therefore when you have no light coming in all that remains is darkness. And that darkness will influence you until you let the light come in. And the bottom line truth is that there is a lot of darkness in rap music. Just today I was reading about young pappy who was killed in chicago and the article said that he was killed because of the music he made which was taunting his enemies. So I wanted to hear what he said and this is what I found:

https://youtu.be/0uSn98gkT1Y

I can't imagine how I would be if I was growing up listening to that. I almost became a statistic just listening to Mac Dre. But as my Pastor told me when I first got saved: "Garbage in, Garbage out". Meaning if you let garbage in your ears and eyes, you will let garbage come back out of your mouth and actions. And it's as simple as that.

My sermon. Amen.

True. But imo what you lacked ,and found with spirituality was BALANCE/something ELSE.

If you only listen to hiphop,watch hiphop vids only and read hiphop magazines, check hiphop sites,then you are deep into commercialized world that have been since the 90s bragging about

Violence
    Druggs
    Insert deragatory word * women
    Hypersexuality
    Materialism
    Envy
    Pettiness

I ve been a hiphop head since 9 years old. Ive grew up with NWA, Cmurder and all that murder muzik. But as BALANCE i got books and other genres of music.
    I view hiphop as hollywood : ITS NOT THE AVERAGE JOE LIFE, its a fantasm, a MOVIE.

I see no diff between Al pacino in Scarface and Snoop in Murder was the case : sensational BUT NOT REAL.

• LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY
    LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY Members, Writer Posts: 17,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Speaking about the blaming game why does hollywood getting a pass for spreading in the mind of the youth

Violence
    Hyper sex
    Druggs
    Materialism
    ANOREXIA
    Anxiety
    ?

• A Talented One
    A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Ounceman wrote: »
    Well first off, not all of rap culture is what I would deem destructive. However the subgenre of rap that is, which is what I'm sure your alluding to, I would say yes it can have a negative influence. But even the extent of that influence is minimal. And much of it impacts only a particular class structure within the African American society. Black people overall have lower dropout rates, more are enrolling in college than ever, especially black women. And crime for the most part has been trending down. So if rap culture is destroying back people, the destruction is negligible

That doesn't follow. Black people overall may be doing better, but it may be that we could be doing better still but for rap. That's what I believe. How much better? A lot better, in my opinion. So the harm is not negligible.
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Music is art imitating life... It's not the other way around

There are tons of things attacking black people... and you may see the results of it in our music...

However that does not mean the music dictates what goes on in our lives...

If a dude rapping about ? ain't ? , that's from his personal experiences

It's way more likely his inspiration was from a chick and not a song he heard
  • blakfyahking
    blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    any ? saying no obviously has an agenda

it's pretty obvious that rap is destructive as ?

only thing saving a lot of black kids is that a lot of them listen to other genres of music as well

but I remember as a teenager myself being brainwashed by the ? .......had I not had other influences from other music (and even the small amount of positive rap) there is no telling where I would be today

the main issue tho is that rap is no longer controlled by the people who make it............at best the system is run by ? turned to pimps who turn back into ? that breed a new generation of ?
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    its like having a bad diet and saying it has no effect on your health.. when you consume garbage your body/mind breaks down. Its not rap in general but the popular music of mindless babble and cool beats and peer pressure derived... impressionable people.. with ineffective parenting/ "good damn sense" is a cocktail for disaster...
  • LPast
    LPast Members Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    its like having a bad diet and saying it has no effect on your health.. when you consume garbage your body/mind breaks down. Its not rap in general but the popular music of mindless babble and cool beats and peer pressure derived... impressionable people.. with ineffective parenting/ "good damn sense" is a cocktail for disaster...

Cosign. Anything you take into your body affects you. Why wouldn't music?
  • Brother_Five
    Brother_Five Members Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MARIO_DRO wrote: »
    KEEP IT 100...

IM FROM THE HOOD, BUT I AINT NO HOOD ? ..

95% OF HOOD ? I KNOW ABOUT (HOW TO MAKE ? , PIMPIN, SCAMMERS) THANGS OF THAT NATURE, I LEARNED FROM RAP

I HAD ZERO IDEA WHAT A LLAMA WAS (WAKKA FLAKKA)
    I AINT KNOW ? ABOUT A GUN BEING PLASTIC (LIL WAYNE)
    I AINT KNOW ? ABOUT THE OUIJA BOARDS (BONE THUGS)
    I AINT KNOW ? ABOUT GANG LIFE (WEST COAST)
    I AINT KNOW ? ABOUT SELLIN DUMMIES (BREAD CRUMBS AND SOAP MADE TO LOOK LIKE ? ) BONETHUGS..

AND THE LIST GOES ON AND ON...

I ALSO KNOW ABOUT BLACK RIGHTEOUSNESS FROM GOODIE MOB
    I KNOW ABOUT BEING YOUR OWN PERSON FROM OUTKAST
    I KNOW ABOUT BLACKS BEING SPIRITUAL AND BEAUTIFUL FROM GOODMOB

ITS UP TO THE LISTENER TO KNOW WHAT REAL AND WHATS NOT..

do you have parents my brother?
  • Brother_Five
    Options
    If 'rap' is killing us, why didn't the Cosby show save us?
  • blakfyahking
    Options

how many seasons of the Cosby show does it take to counteract every negative rap song?
  • MARIO_DRO
    MARIO_DRO Members Posts: 14,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MARIO_DRO wrote: »
    KEEP IT 100...

IM FROM THE HOOD, BUT I AINT NO HOOD ? ..

95% OF HOOD ? I KNOW ABOUT (HOW TO MAKE ? , PIMPIN, SCAMMERS) THANGS OF THAT NATURE, I LEARNED FROM RAP

I HAD ZERO IDEA WHAT A LLAMA WAS (WAKKA FLAKKA)
    I AINT KNOW ? ABOUT A GUN BEING PLASTIC (LIL WAYNE)
    I AINT KNOW ? ABOUT THE OUIJA BOARDS (BONE THUGS)
    I AINT KNOW ? ABOUT GANG LIFE (WEST COAST)
    I AINT KNOW ? ABOUT SELLIN DUMMIES (BREAD CRUMBS AND SOAP MADE TO LOOK LIKE ? ) BONETHUGS..

AND THE LIST GOES ON AND ON...

I ALSO KNOW ABOUT BLACK RIGHTEOUSNESS FROM GOODIE MOB
    I KNOW ABOUT BEING YOUR OWN PERSON FROM OUTKAST
    I KNOW ABOUT BLACKS BEING SPIRITUAL AND BEAUTIFUL FROM GOODMOB

ITS UP TO THE LISTENER TO KNOW WHAT REAL AND WHATS NOT..

do you have parents my brother?

.OF COURSE BUT THEY AINT TEACH ME ? ABOUT ? , GANGS ETC..

I KNEW MY FOLKS WOULD BEAT MY ASS, SO I STAYED IN LINE...
  • Brother_Five
    Options

how many seasons of the Cosby show does it take to counteract every negative rap song?

If rap is destroying us, why isn't gospel saving us?
  • blakfyahking
    Options

If rap is destroying us, why isn't gospel saving us?

how many of the yutes got both Gucci Mane and Fred Hammonds on their playlist in their ipods/iphones?

how many ? got sat radio preset channels in their car that include both Shade45 and gospel channels?

where are we really trying to go with this my brother? :(