Is The Rap Culture Destroying Black People?

Options

Comments

• R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    R.D. wrote: »
    Huh?

White ppl spend more money in hip hop than we do

lets not bring that cliche in..

The way we TYPICALLY consume it and the way they TYPICALLY consume it is different and again other environmental factors contribute..

Then rap is not the issue. Only point I was trying to make

That's so lazy to say rap is destroying the black community

You think these ? who poor and struggling going stop robbing and shooting ? cause rap gone

I doubt Wayne Perry, Big Meech, Rick Ross, were products of rap music

There's a better case for rap doing the opposite as its created thousands of jobs and opportunities for the black community
  • JJ_Evans
    JJ_Evans Members Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Huh?

The way we TYPICALLY consume it and the way they TYPICALLY consume it is different and again other environmental factors contribute..

You think these ? who poor and struggling going stop robbing and shooting ? cause rap gone

There's a better case for rap doing the opposite as its created thousands of jobs and opportunities for the black community

Rick Ross was a CO that changed his whole identity to portray himself as a rap character. Of course he was a product of rap music.

Prior to the mid 80s (Gangsta rap's introduction to society), ? were still fist fighting or using bats and brass knuckles. Although guns were around then, ? weren't clapping other ? as the first option. I was a youngsta, but I remember seeing that ? .

• kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rap is just as influential as any other media. Games, movies, tv, whatever. Too much of either wrong thing, unregulated, can damage the mind. Negatively affecting people that have nothing in place to filter the ? .

But I wouldn't put the blame of destroying black society on rap. I know alot of elders that claim to have done ? up ? back in the day all while bumping Parliament and The Slyvers. We've never needed 808s to convince us to do wrong. Drugs weren't even cool like that early on in hip hop, but ? had no problem finding a way.
  • R.D.
    Options
    JJ_Evans wrote: »
    Huh?

Rick Ross was a CO that changed his whole identity to portray himself as a rap character. Of course he was a product of rap music.

Prior to the mid 80s (Gangsta rap's introduction to society), ? were still fist fighting or using bats and brass knuckles. Although guns were around then, ? weren't clapping other ? as the first option. I was a youngsta, but I remember seeing that ? .

Say bruh, how old are you

Your post disturb me...look at the two names before Ross and tell me why I would lump a rapper in with them
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    Huh?

Rick Ross taking on the persona of a gangster shows nothing more than once again America has an obsession w/ violence and gangsters. White folks talk about Al Capone now like he's an American hero and not a dude who was behind murders. Gangsta rap didn't have ? banging, ? were banging before gangsta rap. The introduction of ? into the community had more to do with the increase in murders than music did. ? gave dudes who before could only afford brass knuckles and bats the money to afford bigger guns....and it ain't like drug crews are legal companies so how exactly do you expect they'd solve any problems they had when trying to make more money than their competition? Businesses do the same thing, just legally
  • JJ_Evans
    Options
    Huh?

Your post disturb me...look at the two names before Ross and tell me why I would lump a rapper in with them
    You said that Ross was not a product of rap music and I corrected you.

Meech and BMF blew up after Gangsta rap was introduced to society, along with ? . They even had a record company devoted to gansta rap. So, explain to me how they weren't also products of rap music.

Wayne Perry is irrelevant to the discussion. Nobody ever said that gangsters and dope dealers didn't exist prior to rap music.
  • JJ_Evans
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    Huh?

Rick Ross taking on the persona of a gangster shows nothing more than once again America has an obsession w/ violence and gangsters. White folks talk about Al Capone now like he's an American hero and not a dude who was behind murders. Gangsta rap didn't have ? banging, ? were banging before gangsta rap. The introduction of ? into the community had more to do with the increase in murders than music did. ? gave dudes who before could only afford brass knuckles and bats the money to afford bigger guns....and it ain't like drug crews are legal companies so how exactly do you expect they'd solve any problems they had when trying to make more money than their competition? Businesses do the same thing, just legally

Read my second post in this thread.
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So should rappers aka entertainers be held accountable because certain people can not differentiate between fantasy and reality??

And the condition and fate of the community should be placed in the hands of entertainers NOT the fathers,mothers,uncles,aunts,grandfathers,grandmothers.....of the community??
  • JJ_Evans
    edited September 2016
    Options
    a.mann wrote: »
    So should rappers aka entertainers be held accountable because certain people can not differentiate between fantasy and reality??
    I would say no. If we're gonna ask that our black brothers to be held responsible for their art, we should do the same to the many white folks making millions on violent Hollywood movie screens.

And the condition and fate of the community should be placed in the hands of entertainers NOT the fathers,mothers,uncles,aunts,grandfathers,grandmothers.....of the community??
    I would say that rap music makes their job much harder.

This is why I continue to say this subject can only be settled with a "yes" and a "no" answer.
  • blackrain
    Options
    Huh?

Meech and BMF blew up after Gangsta rap was introduced to society, along with ? . They even had a record company devoted to gansta rap. So, explain to me how they weren't also products of rap music.

Wayne Perry is irrelevant to the discussion. Nobody ever said that gangsters and dope dealers didn't exist prior to rap music.

They were a product of poverty and drug dealing...which was around long before rap music
  • JJ_Evans
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Huh?

They were a product of poverty and drug dealing...which was around long before rap music

Who are you talking about?..... Ross?
  • R.D.
    Options
    Huh?

Lmaooo so I just told you I wasn't talking about the rapper and you stood on your original post

That's wassup
  • JJ_Evans
    Options
    Huh?

Lmaooo so I just told you I wasn't talking about the rapper and you stood on your original post

That's wassup

I see now.

On that note, I will hit you with an "Ether" and fall back, fam.
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I would say no. If we're gonna ask that our black brothers to be held responsible for their art, we should do the same to the many white folks making millions on violent Hollywood movie screens.

I can agree

I would say that rap music makes their job much harder.

This is why I continue to say this subject can only be settled with a "yes" and a "no" answer.

I can't agree with this.

Ultimately the success of the community goes to its people.

But the failures of the community goes to....the choice in music??

Why not the success than??
  • A Talented One
    A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Huh?

This is a very poor argument. It basically says that if rap doesn't cause all the trouble that black people have in the world, then it doesn't contribute one iota to any of our troubles in the world.
  • trilladelic
    trilladelic Members Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kinda..

When most of us learn how to discern fantasy from reality we'll be in a better place as a ppl...
  • blackrain
    Options
    Huh?

BMF
  • JJ_Evans
    Options

BMF

They came up in the mid to late 80s and jumped into the music business in the 90s, which lines up with the gangta rap movement.
  • blackrain
    Options

BMF

They came up in the mid to late 80s and jumped into the music business in the 90s, which lines up with the gangta rap movement.

And poverty was around long before then that led to them doing what they did...meaning gangsta rap ain't have ? to do with them doing what they did.
  • Brother_Five
    Brother_Five Members Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    None of u 'rap destroyed black wall street' cats can provide any empirical evidence linking 'rap culture' to anything tangible.
    Name one problem in the 'black community' that is related to 'rap culture' and not tangible public policy issues.
    Cats turn 40 and just decide to adopt baseless talking points passed down to them from old bitter ass people with no knowledge of how this society actually operates.
    This 'faith based' nonsense serves no purpose.
    Y'all can't even burn CDs in the streets like they used to do because ? is digital now.
    What y'all want to do? Boycott tidal until they remove all the filth flarn filth?
    Lmao
  • JJ_Evans
    Options

BMF

And poverty was around long before then that led to them doing what they did...meaning gangsta rap ain't have ? to do with them doing what they did.

Fam, you're arguing just to argue at this point. Poverty was around since slavery for blacks, yet our women weren't aspiring to be video vixens and young ? weren't killing everything that move.

My second post in this thread explained my position, which is me believing that an honest look at this would bring a person to feel this requires a yes and no answer.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    Y'all sound like some damn white supremacist. White supremacy is the only cause for certain black communities getting destroyed, they control the music that gets pushed, they control the resources.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5th Letter wrote: »
    Y'all sound like some damn white supremacist. White supremacy is the only cause for certain black communities getting destroyed, they control the music that gets pushed, they control the resources.
    STOP it..

While white supremacy is all enncompassing and has been perfected to the point where it doesnt have to be actively practived... white supremacy doesnt throw trash on the ground

..or get lil laqauantavious ran up on for his piece of pound cake ;)
    Nah but seriously i always say you can blame them for your conditions but not your actions under those conditions..

ONLY ? .. ONLY... you are basically saying we dont know any better and can't be left to our own devices..(things uttered to justify oppression)
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You guys have a very low opinion of black people/yourself. If rap culture is destroying black people, what is it doing to white, yellow, brown, and red people? Are they simply smart enough to know it's entertainment?

If rap culture is destroying black people, what about violent tv shows, movies and videogames? Are they also destroying black people?
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    violent tv shows/movies/videogames.. are not "party to the youth culture" in the way that rap is.. iits not Rap/hiphop in its entirety its whats being consumed on a daily basis that has a powerful influence.. on the way people talk act/ behave thats just a fact of the ? matter. and i dotn care abotu the whites/ yellows or whatever..
    the way people ... view " whats black" see through their respective lenses as men and women are heavily influenced through the mediums which disperse the "entertainment"
    words matter.