Girls High school basketball poster dubbed 'insensitive'...

Options
stringer bell
stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
http://m.kcci.com/news/high-school-basketball-poster-draws-claims-of-racism/41680318
High school basketball poster dubbed 'insensitive' | Local News - Home

OSCEOLA, Iowa -
A girls high school basketball team poster is causing a stir in southern Iowa.

The poster features the 2016 Clarke basketball team in headdresses and war paint.

A viewer told KCCI none of the girls is Native American, and many in the community find the poster racially insensitive.

Vicky Apala-Cuevas of the Oglala Lakota tribe said everything depicted on the poster is culturally incorrect, and it is painful to look at.

"Everything that I saw on the poster does not in any manner depict Native American women and that's the sad part," Apala-Cuevas told KCCI over the phone Thursday. "Our women are very beautiful and to be respected."

Apala-Cuevas said dance is a form of sacred prayer in Native American culture, and the totem pole is like a family crest honoring their leaders.

She said the way the basketball players are dressed is "culturally insensitive."

Clarke Community Schools Superintendent Steve Seid said the poster is meant as a prideful demonstration of the school embracing its heritage.

"Really out of total respect for not just the community, but the entire state in general with a Native American background," Seid said. "No negativity intended at all. Just respecting a rich culture."

Community members and parents of the players said the poster is meant to show how proud they are to be Clarke Indians.

"These girls are representing being ready for the season to come up, being ready and even nowadays it's an empowering message for women all over and these young women are doing it," said Arminda Cosner, who has a daughter on the team.

Apala-Cuevas said she wants people to be educated in order to avoid misinterpretations like those in the poster.

"The saddest part, the part that we feel is most overwhelming and overcoming, is that there's another generation depicting us in an offensive way," Apala-Cuevas said.

The poster has not been distributed yet and is in the process of being reviewed.

Seid said the district will take a further look at it, continue to listen to feedback and make changes if needed.

A state agency has taken notice of the poster, calling it an unwelcome example of people not understanding the culture.

The Iowa Commission on Native American Affairs said: "The poster misused symbols representing a Native culture and spirituality in a disrespectful way. This is a young team that probably did not intentionally mean to be disrespectful; they may not realize that portraying a racial minority group in a stereotypical manner is not appropriate. We hope that the school and other individuals recognize that this poster reinforces and perpetuates offensive imagery and stereotypes of our culture."

9h4toxbmnmao.jpeg

Comments

• Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That last paragraph an Native American said it shows negative stereotypes

Really?
  • ThaNubianGod
    ThaNubianGod Members Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    People complain about too much ? . You literally can't say or do anything without offending people. I don't see any ill intent in that poster.
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    charles2 wrote: »
    Guess the faces shown are the starters and first 2 off the bench. ? up for the rest of the bench that had to simulate rain dances.

This. Them ? background dancers. They better be winning games with all this extra ? .
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I know the intent of this was not to be offensive... but I mean... How can people not know in 2016 that people would not find this offensive? There's still literally 100s of things they could have done besides this.

• Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    People complain about too much ? . You literally can't say or do anything without offending people. I don't see any ill intent in that poster.

...says the guy voting for Trump
  • rapmusic
    rapmusic Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Man this ? look stupid. It was done on purpose to gain attention. I really believe that
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm amazed their school can still be called the Indians. ? my high school was the Redmen but that ? got changed in the 80s.
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    D0wn wrote: »
    Ima leave this up to the native Americans.

They mobbing deep over that pipeline. Created a small city to protest that ? . 2,500 of them showed up. The way they organized is admirable. Imagine if they started launching bow and arrows.
  • smp4life
    smp4life Members Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I was going to call them uneducated but this is A ? SCHOOL! ? . Who is making these decisions?
  • the dukester
    the dukester Members Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Typical behavior from tone deaf entitled whites.

When a superhero (in this case "superpower") destroys it's arch enemy, it inherits it's power......And culturally appropriates it's image.

White people feel like making a caricature of a defeated groups image is fair game in the spoils of war.

Minority groups worldwide are coming together in the interest of calling out the racist behavior of "soon-to-be" minority whites.

They should pray to white Jesus that we don't treat them like they've treated us....

• D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Turfaholic wrote: »

They mobbing deep over that pipeline. Created a small city to protest that ? . 2,500 of them showed up. The way they organized is admirable. Imagine if they started launching bow and arrows.

That's wassup... America has no regards for the indigenous ppl, are any POC. Yet there are blk ppl, who think things will get better.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    I got no horse in this race
  • Kai
    Kai Members, Moderators Posts: 704 Regulator
    Options

Exactly, because those headdresses and such have very important cultural significance. They have meaning, purpose and are used for specific things. Like I read somewhere that a headless and how many feathers it has/big it is signifies a wearers status and position in the community. It's not some ? for clueless white girls to play dress up with

Just stop it white people, we know you have no regards for others' culture and customs, but please can y'all at least fake it like you know what empathy is

• 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    Kai wrote: »

Exactly, because those headdresses and such have very important cultural significance. They have meaning, purpose and are used for specific things. Like I read somewhere that a headless and how many feathers it has/big it is signifies a wearers status and position in the community. It's not some ? for clueless white girls to play dress up with

Just stop it white people, we know you have no regards for others' culture and customs, but please can y'all at least fake it like you know what empathy is

Let the native Americans fight their own battles. They rarely if ever come to our aid for our issues. I'm not empathetic to their issues, I'm just not going to stand in the line of fire for them either.
  • Vellum
    Vellum Members Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Superintendent says its to respect the states history of native american tribes, yet for starters, your poster calls them indians. SMDH.

"Hey, we will just put random paint on our face. Toss on random head wear, show them dancing in a circle, call them indians, and put a basketball hoop on a totem pole. That will clearly show them how much we care about their culture".

9781476733128-l.jpg
  • Vellum
    Vellum Members Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    White people, stop trying to abuse cultures you have no connection to. Sorry, the ship has sailed in this being appropriate. Embrace it from the outside in like the rest of us. Black folk have more of a connection to natives than you do, and we dont ever step into their territory.

I dont give a ? if your grandparents didnt come over until 1939, and have no connection to slavery or the genocide of native americans. Honestly, truly, i dont care, because what they did do is appropriate the culture of racism and prejudice without batting a ? eye, or they stayed quiet while our great great grandparents suffered.

Now you caricaturize varying native american nations through some monolithic view of their diverse cultures. You dance to our hip hop music then call us ? , freeloaders, and spics. You critique and hate anytime we stand up for ourselves, but offer ZERO SOLUTIONS to alleviate the symptoms causing the protest, because we're just a nation of complainers now.

This isnt ? hard to do white people. Sorry we're sensitive to your ? at times (not sorry). If you wanna test out how this feels. Give me all your irish and italians, let me put them through slavery, white jim crow, death, murder, ? , hatred, illiteracy, etc.. for centuries, and lets see how happy they are to be caricaturized, generalized, and ignored in their cries for equality.
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    White people playing dumb as usual.