Colin Kaepernick refuses “to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses Black people”...

Options

Comments

• Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Options
    eastbay510 wrote: »
    gaqewo6lgm0k.png

Is this out in stores already?
  • stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://www.newsday.com/sports/columnists/bob-glauber/giants-players-coaches-conflicted-over-possible-anthem-protest-1.12349907
    It is a measure of just how thought-provoking Colin Kaepernick’s protest of racial discrimination and oppression has become that two of the players most offended by his decision to sit, then kneel, for the national anthem no longer harbor the same resentment and anger.

Giants receiver Victor Cruz and guard Justin Pugh let the 49ers’ quarterback have it after he refused to stand for the anthem, with neither hiding his disgust. Cruz chided Kaepernick, saying “You’ve got to respect the flag, and you’ve got to stand up with your teammates.” On Twitter, Pugh called it “disrespectful to all the men and women who put their lives on the line to protect this country.”

But after Friday’s fatal shooting by Tulsa, Oklahoma, police of Terence Crutcher, an unarmed black man, and with some Giants considering whether they will join Kaepernick’s protest, Cruz and Pugh are more open to the idea and what it represents. Both will continue to stand, as will the overwhelming majority of their teammates, if not all of them.

If some do choose to sit, kneel or raise a fist, there will be no hard feelings from Cruz or Pugh. Especially in light of Crutcher’s death and the fatal shooting of Keith Lamont Scott by police in Charlotte, North Carolina, on Tuesday.

“Let’s be clear. I understand where our country is, and I understand where we are in terms of Black Lives Matter and things of that nature,” Cruz told Newsday Wednesday. “I’m not naïve to what’s going on. But in terms of this locker room and in terms of what guys want to do in their own right, that’s their own prerogative. I don’t disagree with them, because I feel like if they do sit it out, they make a valid point. They have things that they’ve obviously spoken to their families about, and they have a valid point to do what they feel is right. It’s completely on them. I don’t judge them. I don’t look at them any differently.”

Pugh was furious at Kaepernick, mostly because he saw his protest as a sign of disrespect to the military. Pugh’s brother, Michael, is in the Air Force and has served in Iraq.

“I think when I first made a statement, it was more along the lines of coming from a military background,” Pugh told Newsday. “But now I see where those guys are coming from. And if things like (shootings) continue to happen . . . Something’s got to change and players are going to make a stand for it. I respect their decision to do what they do, but they have to respect my decision to stand.

“We have a platform as athletes, and when something is said or done, people are going to listen,” Pugh said. “That puts a spotlight on some things that are happening. And it’s probably necessary at this point. Things aren’t changing.”

Giants running back Rashad Jennings has been outspoken in supporting Kaepernick while still standing for the anthem out of respect for the military.

“It’s important that people don’t get so focused and fixated on making gestures during the national anthem,” he said. “But there is enough that has happened to where we can’t have a blind eye. It takes people in privileged positions for the unprivileged or oppressed to even be heard, no matter what the situation is — color, race, ethnicity, religion, whatever it is.”

Cornerback Janoris Jenkins, who was with St. Louis when the nearby city of Ferguson erupted in violent protests following last September’s fatal police shooting of Michael Brown, said some players have considered protesting the anthem.

“You have to do it the right way,” he said. “Us as a team, we haven’t decided yet, but if we do, we will do it the right way.”

And what would that entail?

“We’ll come up with ideas,” Jenkins said.

Defensive tackle Jay Bromley is still considering whether to stand for the anthem and is deeply troubled about recent events.

“I feel like a lot of (teammates), it’s something that they’re going to filter in their hearts throughout the course of the week and see how they want to go about it,” he said. “I’m continuing to watch the news to get an understanding of certain things going on. I feel like the Kaepernick thing holds a lot more validity now because he did it and now something happened. Now you know why he did it. It seems like it might open up a lot more eyes around the league.”

Bromley compared Ahmad Khan Rahami, the suspect in last weekend’s pipe bomb blasts in Manhattan and New Jersey, and Crutcher.

“A guy injures 30 people and has a shootout with cops and he lives, and there’s a guy (Crutcher) you see on camera, there’s five cops looking at him, and you shoot him,” Bromley said. “It’s like, at what point is there really justice? We’re African- Americans and we grew up in these communities. It’s important to respect people’s opinions and understand the true meaning behind this stuff. These silent protests mean nothing if nothing changes. The bigger picture is how can we as a people in this great place, the United States of America, come together and understand how to fix the problem.”

Giants coach Ben McAdoo wants to see change, too, but not at the expense of the anthem. McAdoo was quite eloquent in stating his belief that pressing for societal progress should be a common goal for the organization. And he wants to do it together.

“I had a conversation with a few guys, and they’re conflicted and want to make a difference,” McAdoo said. “I encourage them to, and I’d like to be involved with them. Anything I can do to help. But still, I feel that you can make a difference outside the anthem. I still believe you should pay tribute to the people who sacrifice their lives so we can coach and play in this great game.”

Jennings appreciates the coach’s openness and looks forward to working with local law enforcement organizations, including the New York City police.

“It’s good to have a coach who’s willing and understands and sees the bigger picture,” Jennings said. “He said at the beginning of the year that he doesn’t know what it’s like to be a woman, he doesn’t know what it’s like to be a black man, but he cares for every single one of our players and the people he works with.”

Jennings believes some good eventually will come of it.

“We’re going to do something, for sure,” he said of his community outreach plans. “It’s just a matter of what.”
  • eastbay510
    eastbay510 Members Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    D. Morgan wrote: »
    gaqewo6lgm0k.png

Think it will be out in the next week or so
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    gaqewo6lgm0k.png

Think it will be out in the next week or so

Thanks!!
  • stringer bell
    Options
    http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2016/09/andrew_hawkins_on_national_ant.html
    Andrew Hawkins on national anthem protests: 'It's not so much about the kneeling as much as it is about the message'
  • #1hiphopjunki3
    #1hiphopjunki3 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is a beautiful movement that is outting all these closeted bigots. Hopefully more of these Atheletes do like Kaepernick and put their money where their mouth is.

Hopefully this will get the ball moving for these police academies to do some type of reform on how they train and hold these officers more responsible for their actions and.

We gotta stop with this they need better training ? . Its not the training its the ? officer. If they can take Dylan Roof, the dude who killed 2 people and was eating their faces, Colorado movie theater shooter,etc alive then obviously its not the training.

All those violent white people arrested alive. Its the color of our skin. ? has nothing to do with training.

Man, I'm gonna be 100% honest and agree with everything you are saying in your post but besides stating the obvious and maybe giving all police non lethal weapons I fear that better training and locking these perpetrators up for longer than what they have been doing might be the best we can hope for.

• A Talented One
    A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Go figure wrote: »
    R0mp wrote: »
    "Get over it."
    "Quit crying, whining, ? , complaining, moaning."
    "Go back to Africa."
    "Get out of my country."
    "Quit playing the victim."
    "Quit using the race card."
    "You should be grateful, appreciative, thankful, respectful, obedient, compliant..."

Am I missing any?

Heard a new one today

my8zgwihvhhv.png
    1274woukjmg1.png
    mtlruv5gsn2e.png

She has a point. It's called automatic biases (that may not be accessible to conscious awareness). Many Psychological experiments have confirmed it. Getting prospective cops tested before they hire them is actually a good idea.

Books like this talk about it:

41dYcNELq3L._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
  • #1hiphopjunki3
    #1hiphopjunki3 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Options
    A kid by the name of Nigel Haynes who plays for university of Wisconsin is speaking nothing but truth on his twitter page. I can't figure out how to embed his page on my phone though

https://mobile.twitter.com/NIGEL_HAYES/status/778730636529967104?ref_src=twsrc^tfw
  • stringer bell
    edited September 2016
    Options
  • Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I feel like Kaep is everything Obama's legacy should've been

What legacy? The legacy of doing something beneficial for every group in America except for the one you identify with?
  • Maximus Rex
    Options
    http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17604958/san-francisco-49ers-qb-colin-kaepernick-most-disliked-player-nfl-according-poll-e-poll-marketing-research
    Poll: Kaepernick is most disliked player in NFL

Colin Kaepernick is now the most disliked player in the NFL.

That's at least according to a recent poll of Americans by E-Poll Marketing Research, which asked 1,100 people whose demographics were representative of the general population.

The overall negative sentiment for Kaepernick is even higher among NFL fans. Today, 36 percent say they dislike him "a lot," up from just 10 percent when last asked two years ago.

While results of the poll show Kaepernick being more disliked by the general population, much of that has to do with the fact that African-Americans only make up 15 percent of the U.S. population. Kaepernick hasn't been standing during the national anthem to show his displeasure with the treatment of African-Americans by police officers.

Among African-Americans, Kaepernick has never been more popular. The poll shows 42 percent of African-Americans now say they like the 49ers quarterback "a lot," while only 2 percent dislike him "a lot." Two years ago, only 16 percent of African-Americans said they liked Kaepernick "a lot," while 3 percent disliked him "a lot."

Huey P. Kap is the most hated by whitey.. But I'm sure Kap gives zero ? .. He probably blasting this right now..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2-rN-98kFQ

But his jersey is the highest selling jersey in the league. How Sway?
  • Go figure
    Go figure Guests, Members, Confirm Email, Writer Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Go figure wrote: »
    R0mp wrote: »
    "Get over it."
    "Quit crying, whining, ? , complaining, moaning."
    "Go back to Africa."
    "Get out of my country."
    "Quit playing the victim."
    "Quit using the race card."
    "You should be grateful, appreciative, thankful, respectful, obedient, compliant..."

Am I missing any?

Heard a new one today

my8zgwihvhhv.png
    1274woukjmg1.png
    mtlruv5gsn2e.png

She has a point. It's called automatic biases (that may not be accessible to conscious awareness). Many Psychological experiments have confirmed it. Getting prospective cops tested before they hire them is actually a good idea.

Books like this talk about it:

41dYcNELq3L._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

i read the study she cited...they conducted fight or flight simulations.

Shooting unarmed, complying, or non threatening people is not fight or flight.

What can it explain about incidents like Charles Kinsey the black therapist who was shot while lying on his back with his hands up identifying himself with plenty of distance between him and the cops?

and also i dont think anyone is denying that policy reform and police reform is necessary and i didnt show u the whole convo. she says cops actions are not their fault bc their brains cant help it but then blame black ppl for their actions...kinda contradictory
  • Maximus Rex
    Options
    How come we never see the tapes of the Neo Gestopo poppin' white citizens?
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How come we never see the tapes of the Neo Gestopo poppin' white citizens?

It happens. More of them get killed by the cops than us, but they don't advocate for those victims because cops are the heroes and blacks are the villains.
  • 1CK1S
    1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jim Brown on Colin Kaepernick's anthem protest: 'I would not challenge our flag'

Pro Football Hall of Fame running back Jim Brown offered a measured criticism of Colin Kaepernick's national anthem protest, telling TIME he takes issue with Kaepernick demonstrating during the national anthem.

Brown's comments appear in a TIME cover story about Kaepernick's ongoing protest of racial inequality and police violence. During the preseason, the 49ers quarterback protested by sitting during the national anthem, and in San Francisco's final preseason game and through the first two weeks of the regular season, Kaepernick has chosen to instead kneel during the anthem.

"I would not challenge our flag," Brown told TIME's Sean Gregory. "I would not do anything that has to do with respecting the flag or the national anthem. I don't think it's appropriate."

A number of other athletes, including several NFL players, have followed Kaepernick's lead, protesting during the pregame performance of the “Star–Spangled Banner.”

Brown, who was outspoken on social issues during his career, supports Kaepernick's right to protest. Last weekend, he said Kaepernick had reached out to him and that he offered the quarterback his support.

"Colin is a very beautiful human being," Brown said, according to Syracuse.com. "He reached out to me. He got my telephone number and he called me. We had a great conversation. I'm with him 100% in his sincerity and his right to bring these things out."

Brown, who played in the NFL from 1957–1965, has long been one of the sports world's most prominent civil rights activists. In the 1960's, he helped lead a generation of black athletes, like Muhammad Ali and Kareem Abdul–Jabbar, who didn't hesitate to speak out on racism and injustice in America.

After serving as an Army Reserve officer following his graduation from Syracuse, Brown supported Ali when he refused to fight in Vietnam.

The former Cleveland Browns running back also explained to TIME why many athletes have been hesitant to take a stand on social issues.

"The agents tell these young people that you can get endorsements, you can get a lot of money, don't rock the boat," he told TIME. "Money becomes the objective, and individuals protect their image, make sure they have the right image so that they can represent corporations. And now what is happening is there seems to be a reversal."

Kaepernick and the 49ers will take on the Seahawks on Sunday.