When reality hits you...

Options
RobCoLife
RobCoLife Members Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2016 in For The Grown & Sexy
I am from a small city called Lumberton NC and we have got hit hard by Hurricane Matthew. If you Google my city you will see that parts of the city is still under water. Half of my side of town with my house included is destroyed as well as the black community which I am sure is about to go through gentrification. I have had a rough time since Saturday, had to go rescue my girlfriend and her son in thigh high water. Drive through high water (Don't know how I made it) to get out of there. I made it to Fayetteville with my family along with my girl and her son. I am receiving help from family and friends from out of state and I also had cash saved. I just wanted to tell you guys remember don't take things for granted because it can all get snatched away from you. This is just a surreal moment to me and many others because we have lost so much. My home and my neighborhood where I grew up is gone and I know it will never be the same. We never expected this to happen to a small city like us. Just keep us in your thoughts, we going to have a long road to recovery.

Comments

• Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thats rough man and very sad to hear. Glad you made it out alright though. It will take time, but you guys will recover.
  • BenjaminE
    BenjaminE Members Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn, that's tragic bro... wish you and your family the best... keep your head up...
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sorry to hear that man

Glad u r ok
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Stay strong brotha
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BenjaminE wrote: »
    Damn, that's tragic bro... wish you and your family the best... keep your head up...

• 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Got a friend on FB from there. She was posting about the damns that broke, and worried about her peeps.

Glad it's not a story about lives lost tho. Hope you had insurance.

How fast did that ? pick up ? Did y'all have time to at least get out of town ?
  • RobCoLife
    Options
    7figz wrote: »
    Got a friend on FB from there. She was posting about the damns that broke, and worried about her peeps.

Yeah I am out of town and it happened so fast. Roads and bridges caved in so we had to take alternate routes just to get out. Had to leave the county just to find gas. I wish that experience on no one.
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    Sorry to hear that bruh. My family is out by orlando and the storm completely missed them. It almost didn't occur to me that the ? is still ongoing. Important thing is that yall made it out. wish you and yours the best.
  • obnoxiouslyfresh
    obnoxiouslyfresh Members Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hope everything works out. Glad you are safe!
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    sorry to hear that fam...lets get a gofundme going for slime....
  • BamBamMr7Gram
    BamBamMr7Gram Members Posts: 329 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Been a lurker since 08 on here and haven't posted in a while but wanted to say I'm from pembroke and we've lost our barn half our house many animals and we've been without power for 6 days my brother be strong for your family our Native and African American people have been hit hard with a travest fellow ICers
  • RobCoLife
    Options
    Been a lurker since 08 on here and haven't posted in a while but wanted to say I'm from pembroke and we've lost our barn half our house many animals and we've been without power for 6 days my brother be strong for your family our Native and African American people have been hit hard with a travest fellow ICers

Peace brother. I am from West 5th in Lumberton
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Keep your head up bro
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Property can be replaced. Lives can't.

Glad your family made it out ok.
  • Preach2Teach
    Preach2Teach Members Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sorry to hear this, best of luck to you and the family and all others affected.
  • blacktux
    blacktux Members Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Peace brother, went through the same when katrina came through new orleans.

With some federal aid and your family to lean on, you going to be alright. Your life is about to change, whether for better or worse depends on you; stay strong.

I still remember seeing my childhood home after the water had drained out. I walked in my bedroom and cried like a baby. Keep your head up.
  • Rozetta5tone
    Rozetta5tone Members Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Tough break kid. Stay dry
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    Stay positive g
  • onetoughmiracle
    onetoughmiracle Members Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    sorry to hear that fam...lets get a gofundme going for slime....

Tomoz my payday, I'd donate. Can't donate much, but something.
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    RobCoLife wrote: »
    7figz wrote: »

Yeah I am out of town and it happened so fast. Roads and bridges caved in so we had to take alternate routes just to get out. Had to leave the county just to find gas. I wish that experience on no one.

? , I always wondered how fast those hit. A lot of people see it from the outside and talk ? like "why didn't they leave" and ? like it's that easy. Anyway stay up.

I'm in on that GoFundMe if you set it up.
  • Mastery
    Mastery Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Cain wrote: »
    My cousin's wife is from Lumberton and her childhood home is safe but the rest of her family homes are either flooded or destroyed. Keep your head up folk me and some people are headed to Laurinburg this weekend to help her family move some things.

I pray you had flood insurance I know a lot of people didn't have it or ever think to get it.

@Cain

Only way they would have been required to have flood insurance is if the houses were in a flood zone AND the community participated in the NFIP (national flood insurance program).

In addition, if the houses were NOT in a flood zone, there is going to be a ? load of remapping by FEMA.
  • Mastery
    Mastery Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BenjaminE wrote: »