And Hollywood's White Washing Continues! Sony Criticized For Hiring White Director For ‘Mulan’

Options

Comments

• jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Copper wrote: »
    jono wrote: »
    Where do ? get this "Asians worship white people" ? from?

Reality

Based on...
  • Rasta.
    Rasta. Members Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You're either confined to a "safe zone" or you need to expand your scope...The Chinese, especially more so than their Korean or Japanese counterparts are so whitewashed it's scary....
  • jono
    Options
    Rasta. wrote: »

You're either confined to a "safe zone" or you need to expand your scope...The Chinese, especially more so than their Korean or Japanese counterparts are so whitewashed it's scary....

I keep seeing this but nobody specifies anything. "Whitewashed" how? In what way?
  • Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Mainly from the fact once they get over here, "Chin Wa," starts ? with Becky and "Ping Ping," starts ? with Brad. I've often heard Asian chicks say they don't like their men. Then there was the fact that Mr. Charlie discriminated against them in there own country. Also, because of this ? ? .

How Should Asian-Americans Feel About the Peter Liang Protests?
    By JAY CASPIAN KANGFEB. 23, 2016

22mag-liang-master768.jpg
    Protesters rallied in Brooklyn on Feb. 20 to support the former N.Y.P.D. officer Peter Liang. Credit Craig Ruttle/Associated Press

Every public thing that happens to Asian-Americans — whether the unexpected ascent of a Harvard-educated basketball star, the premiere of a network family sitcom or the conviction of a 28-year-old rookie cop who shot and killed an unarmed black man in the stairwell of a housing project — doubles as a referendum on the state of the people. This sounds unfair, but it happens because Asian-Americans are so rarely in the national conversation, especially within the sludgy arena of identity politics. As a rule, we seldom engage in the sort of political advocacy and discourse that might explain, or even defend, our odd, singular and tenuous status as Americans. This is how it has always been for immigrant populations who believe, rightly or wrongly, that they are on a quick march toward whiteness.

On Saturday, Feb. 20, Asian-Americans briefly broke that silence: They were among the thousands across the country who gathered to protest the manslaughter conviction of the former N.Y.P.D. officer Peter Liang in the killing of Akai Gurley, a 28-year-old black man. Last November, just five days before a grand jury in St. Louis decided to not indict Officer Darren Wilson in the killing of Michael Brown, Liang and his partner were on patrol in the Louis Pink Houses in East New York, Brooklyn. Liang, who had his gun drawn, opened a door to a stairwell. The gun was discharged; a bullet ricocheted off a wall and struck Gurley. Rather than administer medical treatment to Gurley, Liang and his partner argued over who would call their supervisor.

On Feb. 11 this year, Liang became the first N.Y.P.D. officer convicted in a line-of-duty shooting in over a decade. Many Asian-Americans felt that Liang had been offered up as a sacrificial lamb to appease the ongoing protests against police violence that started two summers ago in Ferguson, Mo. The pro-Liang protests, in turn, sparked small counterprotests by black activists, who argued that justice had been served and that a killer cop was a killer cop, period. A discomforting paradox lay beneath the whole confrontation, one that cut straight across the accepted modern vision of Asians and their adjacency to whiteness: If Liang (and, by extension, all Asian-Americans) enjoyed the protections of whiteness, then how do you explain his conviction?

The Liang protests mark the most pivotal moment in the Asian-American community since the Rodney King riots, when dozens of Korean-American businesses were burned to the ground. The episode is often said to have been precipitated by the horrific killing of Latasha Harlins, a 15-year-old black girl who was shot in the back of the head by Soon Ja Du, a Korean store owner, after a confrontation over a bottle of orange juice. In reality, the tensions between Asian store owners and the black neighborhoods they served had been simmering for years; they began well before Rodney King became a household name, and they continue today.

This long history has erased any possible nuance Saturday’s protests might have brought to our understanding of what happened to Liang. Which is tragic, because there is much ugly, essential nuance to be examined. There are many within the Asian-American community, for example, who believe that Liang deserved to be convicted of manslaughter, but who also wonder why it was the Asian cop, among many other equally deserving officers, who took the fall. Others point to the deaths of Rafael Ramos and Wenjian Liu, two police officers — one Hispanic, the other Asian — who were murdered as they sat in their car in December 2014, at the height of protests against police violence in New York. In the days that followed, as policemen from around the country flew to the city to attend the funerals, I recall talking to Asian friends about the anxiety we felt over Liu’s funeral, and whether the outpouring of support and grief would measure up to what it might have been if he were white. These are selfish, neurotic thoughts, but they are the burden of feeling one’s citizenship may be conditional, and the price of decades of collective silence. When thousands of mourners showed up to Liu’s funeral and gave their condolences to his widow, our fears were put to rest, at least for a little while.

All these anxieties, born out of these small but crucial referendums on our place in America, have been reignited by Liang’s conviction. Even if you believe, as I do, that Liang should be in jail, the inevitable follow-up question — why only Liang? — suggests that the unjust protections routinely afforded to white officers should be extended either to everyone or to nobody at all. To ignore this suggestion is intellectually dishonest.

But to engage with it is to ignore the overwhelming context of the case: yet another unarmed black man killed by yet another police officer. The cleanest response — one I’ve seen throughout social media, where clean, vaguely lobotomized responses often reign supreme — is to simply say that some justice is better than none. But how can any sincere confrontation of racial inequity in policing and the criminal-justice system ignore the inconvenient singularity of Liang’s conviction?
  • Maximus Rex
    Options
    How Should Asian-Americans Feel About the Peter Liang Protests? fin.

Each of these thoughts represents an uneasy, probing investigation into the complicated, often-complicit relationship between Asian-Americans and the nation’s racial hierarchies. I do not claim to know the right answer to any of these questions. I do not know how to explain why I knew Liang would be found guilty well before the verdict was announced. I cannot adequately describe the conflict in feeling like a race traitor for applauding Liang’s conviction while also feeling like a race traitor for questioning it. I know the lifeblood of my conditional whiteness as an educated, upwardly mobile Asian-American lies somewhere in those conflicts. And because it’s historically been in the best interests of people like me to never discuss these things, even in private, I lack the vocabulary to discuss it.

This cultural aphasia comes from decades of political silence. Asian-Americans, for the most part, have been absent from modern social-justice movements, partly by their own choosing. Last year, while reporting an article for the magazine on the anti-police-violence activism of DeRay Mckesson and Johnetta Elzie, I attended Black Lives Matter protests across the country. In each city, I grew angrier and angrier at the lack of Asian faces among the marchers. I had long lost faith in storybook solidarity, but I had never expected to see the divide between blacks and Asian-Americans laid out so starkly.

The dissonance between those two stories — the pan-cultural dream and the reality — is what deforms the stated intentions, however good or bad, of the Peter Liang protests. On Saturday, some protesters carried signs bearing the Rev. Martin Luther King’s Jr.’s image and a quote: “Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.”

This is the stunted language of a people who do not yet know how to talk about injustice. The protesters who took to the streets on Saturday are trying, in their way, to create a new political language for Asian-Americans, but this language comes without any edifying history — no amount of nuance or qualification or appeal to Martin Luther King will change the fact that the first massive, nationwide Asian-American protest in years was held in defense of a police officer who shot and killed an innocent black man.

And yet it would be catastrophic to ignore the protesters’ concerns altogether. Asian-Americans have begun to protest in the streets, in part, because they have begun to wake up from that multicultural dream in which their concerns are lumped in with the rest of the minority groups of America. The word “minority” has increasingly come to encompass only black and Hispanic people. Perhaps it always did. It is my belief that Asian-Americans have to form their own way of talking about race, privilege and justice, one that acknowledges both our relative privilege and the costs of our invisibility. But that language takes time to build, and at the next political action, the message will certainly still be clumsy and riddled with contradiction. I only hope it serves a more just cause than the freedom of Peter Liang.

Correction: April 22, 2016

So basically the Chinks argument was the racist white supremacists in the Neo Gestopo get to pop ? with impunity, so being that we don't like ? we should have white privilege extended to us when we ? one.
  • jono
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Peter Liang is Chinese. How is sticking up for your own people whitewashing? Black folks stick up for ? that are dead wrong too.

Lets address this though:
    Mainly from the fact once they get over here, "Chin Wa," starts ? with Becky and "Ping Ping," starts ? with Brad. I've often heard Asian chicks say they don't like their men. Then there was the fact that Mr. Charlie discriminated against them in there own country.

Well lets discuss this. For starters parts of Africa have been controlled by whites for decades so that's a ridiculous argument. Lets talk about the interracial dating thing which seems to be the reason you hear this kind of generalized ? . Look at the info from Pew Research:
    xmnn6ro062gu.png

ziwarirx99dx.png
  • jono
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Older Asians are not about race mixing, the younger American- born ones are but that shouldn't be surprising because white people outnumber them and they are Chinese-American.

What I'm trying to figure out is why ? talk out of both sides of their neck about Asians.

On one hand:
    "Yeah ? we need to be like Chinatown, the Asians spend money in their own communities...yada yada yada"

Then turn around:
    "Asians love white people bro. They so whitewashed. Their whitewashing is whitewashed bro"

Either they are inclusive or exclusive. Which one is it? When did ? become an authority on the Asian experience?
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

FROM REALITY... I know you want to be an author but you have to stop living in a dream world all the ? time and snap into the real world
  • jono
    Options
    zzombie wrote: »

FROM REALITY... I know you want to be an author but you have to stop living in a dream world all the ? time and snap into the real world

Based on what? You ? have provided nothing to prove this point. Just because you keep repeating it doesn't make it true
  • Brother_Five
    Brother_Five Members Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cats just grasping at nonsense to justify their hypocrisy on the topic

• Lab Baby
    Lab Baby Members Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mulan is just a Chinese version of Joan of Arc... why can't they just make that? White ppl can't let ? have ? .
  • High Revolutionary
    High Revolutionary Members Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Options
    To say Asians "worship Whites" may be a bit hyperbolic and generalizing (Asia is a continent with several countries each differing from one another culturally and economically) but if y'all seriously have no clue why cats would make a statement like the aforementioned one I don't know what to tell you. I'ma let youtube ride on y'all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oFgs9DSiho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdS-l0SeTTc

China seems to be the worse culprits. Probably followed by poorer SEA countries like Phillipines and Thailand. Japan isn't unaffected either:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaXFD8RctwA

although Japan in my experience is nowhere near as bad as China. Korea actually seems to be relatively militant from what I've heard though.

• LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Constance Wu been loud on social media about this lately. I think she waited until Fresh off the Boat was a sure hit to start talking politics so she wouldn't get the Aunt Banks treatment
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You ever see asians rock umbrellas when it's sunny? It's to keep their skin pale. Colorism is big in Asia.
  • Brother_Five
    Options
    Asians are victims of the same white supremacy that has certain black ppl hating their skin and hair

Not sure why that means they shouldn't be represented or given the same opportunities as everyone else
  • Maximus Rex
    Options
    Peter Liang is Chinese. How is sticking up for your own people whitewashing?

It's not whitewashing, it was addressing your question as to why Asians love Mighty Whitey so much.
    Black folks stick up for ? that are dead wrong too.

Unless it's

r-kelly-teenagers.gif

louis_farrakhan.jpg

Black people aren't apologists for black people fuckery. Especially if it's a punk ass cop.
    Well lets discuss this. For starters parts of Africa have been controlled by whites for decades so that's a ridiculous argument.

But Asians are socially acceptable to white and they use them as a buffer group.
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Another etherous fact is Disneys Mulan story was actually written by a white fella.
  • BarryHalls
    BarryHalls Members Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Can't wait for that up and coming film to drop titled "The Last ? on Earth" starring Tom Hanks
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options

Literally just yesterday through a work event I met a Chinese woman whose first name is Mai...she said "But I go by Amanda"....? like that is probably part of the reason why
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Karl. wrote: »
    Another etherous fact is Disneys Mulan story was actually written by a white fella.

This
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Dragon ball Z
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Karl. wrote: »
    I bet those ? on social media are completely unaware of this film:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1308138/

I seen it, good movie. @karl
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Asians are victims of the same white supremacy that has certain black ppl hating their skin and hair

Not sure why that means they shouldn't be represented or given the same opportunities as everyone else

I don't think I saw anyone say Asians shouldn't have opportunities or representation.
  • High Revolutionary
    High Revolutionary Members Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Options
    ? I just watched that first video I linked and it's worst than I thought. Initially I just skimmed through it, but I just watched it in it's entirety and them Asian ? was cooning HARD. And that's the thing, Black people might ? but when do we get called out on it and generally it's looked down upon. Them Asian broads had zero shame. And that was Asian women from a variety of backgrounds.
  • Brother_Five
    Options
    Asians do call each other out for cooking
    Y'all don't know any so how would you know that?
    Y'all sound just like white supremacists
    Talking about a group of ppl you don't interact with regularly