Does The African Diaspora Have a Moral and Ethical Duty to Help Haiti and Liberia?

Options
Maximus Rex
Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2016 in For The Grown & Sexy
Though I feel that people of African descent through out the world need to start getting together in other to do commerce in other to build our economies and align politically in order to to not only fight, but to protect ourselves against systematic racism and white supremacy. I believe that two nations are in the more need of our help, those nations being Haiti and Liberia.

Liberia began as a as settlement began by the American Colonization Society who believed that slaves and free born black would be better off in Africa. Slaveholders wanted to get free people of color out of the South, where they were thought to threaten the stability of the slave societies. Some abolitionists collaborated on relocation of free blacks, as they were discouraged by racial discrimination against them in the North and believed they would never be accepted in the larger society (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberia)

Liberia suffers endemic corruption on every level of government and the literacy rate of Liberia was estimated at 60.8% (64.8% for males and 56.8% for females),

Haiti is the prestigious and glorious distinction of not only be the first sovereign nation founded via a successful slave revolt, but Haiti is also the world's first black republic. As a result of the success of the Haitian Revolution, Haiti was punished by racist white supremacist nations. There was a trade embargo against Haiti and the French forced Haiti to reparations for the lost of their colony. This resulted in Haiti not being grow any industries or it's economy. Haiti to suffers from endemic corruption and has suffered 32 coups which is a cause for politically instability. According to a Corruption Perceptions Index report in 2006, there is a strong correlation between corruption and poverty and Haiti ranked first of all countries surveyed for of levels of perceived domestic corruption.

More than 80% of primary schools are privately managed by nongovernmental organizations, churches, communities, and for-profit operators, with minimal government oversight. Due to the racial caste system instituted in colonial Haiti, Haitian mulattoes became the nation's social elite and racially privileged. Numerous leaders throughout Haiti's history have been mulattoes. Comprising 5% of the nation's population, mulattoes have retained their preeminence, evident in the political, economic, social and cultural hierarchy in Haiti. The World Factbook reports a shortage of skilled labor, widespread unemployment and underemployment, saying "more than two-thirds of the labor force do not have formal jobs.

Most people living in Haiti are at high risk for major infectious diseases. Food or water-borne diseases include bacterial and protozoal diarrhea, typhoid fever and hepatitis A and E; common vector-borne diseases are dengue fever and malaria; water-contact diseases include leptospirosis. Roughly 75% of Haitian households lack running water. Unsafe water, along with inadequate housing and unsanitary living conditions, contributes to the high incidence of infectious diseases. There is a chronic shortage of health care personnel and hospitals lack resources, a situation that became readily apparent after the January 2010 earthquake.

Does The African Diaspora Have a Moral and Ethical Duty to Help Haiti and Liberia? 10 votes

Yes, Because Haiti is the First Black Republic and Slaves Relocated to Liberia and They Need the Help
50%
bkkbullyAjackson17Maximus RexCashmoneyDuxBa'al 5 votes
No, The African Diaspora Only Has an Obligation to Their Home Nations
20%
fortyacresNothingButTheTruth 2 votes
No Because I'm a Dominicoon and Self Hating ? Who Could Give a ? About Black People in Poor Nations
30%
Bussy_Getta Malcolm XtraD0wn 3 votes

Comments

• Ba'al
    Ba'al Members Posts: 14 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes, Because Haiti is the First Black Republic and Slaves Relocated to Liberia and They Need the Help
    Only to the extent that they don't neglect their own issues.

I'm a firm panafricanist, have been for over a decade.
  • K_Fisher
    K_Fisher Members Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lmao at the third option , as an afro European I believe in sort your issues at home first before sorting out others.
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm of the belief that true social change has to start at the grassroot level. The people have to want change and implement it.
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I was watching a documentary on Liberia a while back and ? was disturbing. Warlords and their soldiers fighting butt naked and eating their enemies. People ? on the beach because of lack of bathrooms.
  • Brother_Five
    Brother_Five Members Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    I was watching a documentary on Liberia a while back and ? was disturbing. Warlords and their soldiers fighting butt naked and eating their enemies. People ? on the beach because of lack of bathrooms.

What documentary?
    Who made it?
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes. We all have a moral and ethical duty to help those in need.
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nope, get home right first, then you can reach out if you have surplus resources. Personal accountability isn't practiced enough.
  • fortyacres
    fortyacres Members, Moderators Posts: 4,479 Regulator
    Options
    No, they have elected officials, they can help themselves.
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Whats interesting is that the people from those places who aren't effected don't even be doing much....I kno Africans from Liberia who are here in the states that are more focused on getting they bread here and are not so much worried about whats going on there.....

I say that to say most folks dont feel they have a moral obligation to do anything if they arent from that specific location where ? is popping off...sure some folks do but the majority of folks more worried about what they got going on....

Yall see the African diaspora riding with blacklivesmatter like that??

Naw not really...

Nothing wrong with it thats just the way it is....

It's something very wrong with it.

I hate the excuse that people claim they have their own ? going on. That's a ? cop out. No matter one's station in life we ALWAYS have ? going on. This will not change until we are 6 feet under. If, a person is waiting until they have money, fame, etc to care about others to the point they are compelled to do "something" they will never find it within self to do for others. Doing for others is a matter of heart, soul and spirit.

• MrSoutCity
    MrSoutCity Members Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

What documentary?
    Who made it?

I saw that documentary on here.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No. You don't have an obligation to help anyone. Assisting is an act of generosity. Generosity cannot be forced
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No lie this a good ass thread topic but one I'm not gonna give an opinion on cause I don't know the correct way to answer it. Adios ?
  • CashmoneyDux
    CashmoneyDux Members Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @BOSSExcellence
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No Because I'm a Dominicoon and Self Hating ? Who Could Give a ? About Black People in Poor Nations
    Haiti don't need help, Haiti needs to be stopped being sabotaged by France, Domincan Republic, and the United States.
  • leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I don't know. As a "black" person on the fringes of the American matrix with no knowledge of my actual national lineage, I tend to see black skin as a universal bond with any other black person ( Haitian, Jamaican, Nigerian, etc).

But many black people outside of America tend to have a more nationalistic mindset and look at me as foreign as I'd see a Norwegian.
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

i havent a clue whats goin on in here..

but ? AFRICA!
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I don't know. As a "black" person on the fringes of the American matrix with no knowledge of my actual national lineage, I tend to see black skin as a universal bond with any other black person ( Haitian, Jamaican, Nigerian, etc).

But many black people outside of America tend to have a more nationalistic mindset and look at me as foreign as I'd see a Norwegian.

What you described in the first paragraph is from slavery. They've declared war on black people, so you subconsciously put all of us in the victim box or universal bond as you call it. They say one drop of black means you're tainted, so you claim everyone is black.

Instead of grouping black people, you should redirect that energy towards the enemy for stronger results.

Blame slavery.....

Human beings never had allegiance based solely on skin color......it's stupid.

African tribes been getting down with each other since the beginning....

It's very stupid, and is a direct product of white supremacy. We should be linking based on character, morals, personality, culture, status, values and ideology.
  • Shuffington
    Shuffington Members Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Good question.
    My Heart is leaning to a yes.

But what does "Help" look like would be my next question.
  • Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Good question.
    My Heart is leaning to a yes.

But what does "Help" look like would be my next question.

Help is educating the workforce and giving them skills. If I had it like that I'd get together with Tariq Nasheed, Drs. Boyce and Umar, that Haitian Harvard cat who says that the language of instruction in Haiti needs to changed from French to Creole and some trustworthy Haitians who are down with and sincere with educating Haiti's youth.

This would be a long term plan. In my schools, entrepreship would be a part of the curriculum. So there would be mandatory classes on Dr. Boyce's wealth building systems on how to build a business. Of course you would to tailor the ? Haiti because of their laws.

I would start of in the poorest section of Port au Prince and start from there. Being that there's little to no government oversight or regulation concerning the Haitian educational system, the power elite down there would let a muthafucka rock for minute until those kids become adult s and start to threaten the status quo. I would also have vocational schools. Also help comes with providing those people with basic ? , since they lack hella ? that we take for granted.
  • Figo
    Figo Members Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

What documentary?
    Who made it?

I think he talking about the Vice documentary....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRuSS0iiFyo

General Bin Laden vs General Rambo vs General Mosquito Spray vs General Butt Naked vs Tupac Army
    Comissioner going on the beach to ? with the people at West Point
    Charles Taylor.
    Damn, this is some out of the world ? . Good documentary
  • luke1733
    luke1733 Members Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Though I feel that people of African descent through out the world need to start .

Basically to summarize an answer. Until, African nations or African American groups are in trillion dollar economies where they control the dollar then there is no real change that can be made to lend a helping hand. We're all in a ditch. How am I gonna help you out? The best I can do is give you a hug (a little money, some education, be good to you, speak good of you) as we get through this together step by step to put us on the path to where we actually can be in a position to do for others on a nationwide level.
    African Union the real African Union that exists is about this.
    They invest in African nations and African problems.
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    Arya Tsaddiq Members Posts: 15,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

What documentary?
    Who made it?

Just sat and watched this...

Wow
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options

i havent a clue whats goin on in here..

but ? AFRICA!

tumblr_mr5ybfzh8F1qzc065o1_500.gif

@BOSSExcellence alway kills me with his ? Africa stance lmao
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

What documentary?
    Who made it?

1yz88wsj0vo0.jpg
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Lmaooo at homeland being a toilet ? beaches

Fuckn war zone

Kids doing speed n ?

Half of mothers are street ?