The Official Fox Comicbook Cinematic Universe Thread - Coming Soon (Deadpool 2 June 2018)

Options

Comments

• Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Copper wrote: »
    Apocalypse should've won at the end of x-men and that would've set up a age of Apocalypse sequel. But before Apocalypse wipes everyone out cable comes and rescues Jean, Scott, angel, storm and beast.and takes them to the future.

And in between those films logans should've taken place in that time period (before they inevitably set the time back by defeating Apocalypse).

Cable would also be a good way to explain character team ups

Well too bad lol
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I agree. Apocalypse should've won.
  • OmegaConflict
    OmegaConflict Members Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why did they suppress apocalypse strength so much
  • AP21
    AP21 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 17,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    Why did they suppress apocalypse strength so much

Fox is run by a bunch of suits
  • soul rattler
    Options
    For some reasons, studios don't like giving the bad guy too much cinematic leverage.

And it's funny because whenever they do, it elevates the entire film. Heath Ledger's Joker is THE perfect example.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Co sign I love the villains in the comics, but a lot of the movies dont do the villains justice. From ANY of the 3 comicbook movie studios. Only villains i really liked so far was Ledger's joker, MoS's Zod, and Winter soldier from cap 2.
    Loki was cool in Avengers i suppose.
  • PILL_COSBY
    PILL_COSBY Members Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lou_Cypher wrote: »
    Co sign I love the villains in the comics, but a lot of the movies dont do the villains justice. From ANY of the 3 comicbook movie studios. Only villains i really liked so far was Ledger's joker, MoS's Zod, and Winter soldier from cap 2.

deacon frost in blade was good. But yeah, it's hard to flesh out a bad guy in just one movie though. It's ultimately about the heroes so the bad guys end up getting the short end of the stick.
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Options
    PILL_COSBY wrote: »

deacon frost in blade was good. But yeah, it's hard to flesh out a bad guy in just one movie though. It's ultimately about the heroes so the bad guys end up getting the short end of the stick.

If that's the case how come every other memorable non superhero movie has managed to flesh out their villains like it was nothing in just one movie? How come past superhero movies did the same?

The truth? superhero movie filmmakers don't really try anymore. More so because the audience is like "it's ok we just wanna see the heroes" so the effort is never even put forth since the audience is so complacent anyway.

Back when superhero movies were treated like any other genre the villain was the backbone of the picture (ie: Jack Nicholson in Batman and Terrance Stamp in Superman II). Even as recent as the 00s with Ian McKellan in X-Men and Willem Dafoe and Alfred Molina in Raimi's Spider-Man.

Now it's just a lost art. Which is ironic since memorable villains was always a big part as to what helped superhero comics endure for so long and still is.
  • PILL_COSBY
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »
    PILL_COSBY wrote: »

If that's the case how come every other memorable non superhero movie has managed to flesh out their villains like it was nothing in just one movie? How come past superhero movies did the same?

The truth? superhero movie filmmakers don't really try anymore. More so because the audience is like "it's ok we just wanna see the heroes" so the effort is never even put forth since the audience is so complacent anyway.

Back when superhero movies were treated like any other genre the villain was the backbone of the picture (ie: Jack Nicholson in Batman and Terrance Stamp in Superman II). Even as recent as the 00s with Ian McKellan in X-Men and Willem Dafoe and Alfred Molina in Raimi's Spider-Man.

Now it's just a lost art. Which is ironic since memorable villains was always a big part as to what helped superhero comics endure for so long and still is.

You made a good ass point here. I think it's a little bit of what I said and what you just broke down. Because back in the day yeah, they did take a bit more time on every inch of their project. But they also took hella long to come out as well. Now at days they pump movies out fast as ? . Then when the dvd drops they be adding like 25 - 40 minutes of cut footage lol. Even though they took more time back in the day, it's still only a handful of memorable bad guys. Even in non super hero movies.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A villain can drive the ship but you need to know what you're working with first.

In an X Men movie (or any blockbuster team based movie) you have a lot of moving pieces sharing the screen including villains its tough to give equal time to every one.

Its easier to do in a single hero movie but it still depends on the audience's knowledge and familiarity with the character.

In Marvel's case, many of these characters (heroes) are in movies for the first time so there's still a lot to flesh out.
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    Can Fox even do Old Man Logan storyline without some marvel characters?
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    It won't be straight up old man logan. It will be inspired by old man logan but an original screenplay. I think death of wolverine will be incorporated into it as well
  • willhustle
    willhustle Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Beta wrote: »
    Didn't think a thread should be made but what would y'all scores be?

Suicide Squad
    Captain America: Civil War 8.8/10
    Batman V Superman 7/10
    X-Men: Apocalypse 6.5/10
    Deadpool 7.5/10
    Antman 7.8/10
    Fantastic Four 4/10
    Avengers 2: Age of Ultron 7.8/10
    X-men: Days Of Future Past 8/10
    Guardians Of the Galaxy 7.8/10
    Man of Steel 7.5/10

I know this is late as ever but:

Suicide Squad. 6/10
    Captain America: Civil War 10/10
    Batman V Superman 8/10
    X-Men: Apocalypse 6.5/10
    Deadpool 7.5/10
    Antman 8/10
    Fantastic Four 0/10
    Avengers 2: Age of Ultron 7/10
    X-men: Days Of Future Past 8/10
    Guardians Of the Galaxy 8.5/10
    Man of Steel 8.5/10
  • OmegaConflict
    OmegaConflict Members Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I read the manga on this movie and that ? is trash
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Read an article giving more information on the miller situation. Apparently there were two scripts/screenplays one was backed by the original writers and reynolds that was low budget and more comparable to the first one. The other screenplay backed by miller was an estimated budget of 150 million and they felt if they went too big for the sequel then they wouldon't be able to give the film a proper follow up

I like the 1st idea.
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    I hope you guys not really expecting old man Logan ... yikes
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    Deadpool 2: Why Junkie XL Leaving Has Us Worried

After the long hard, but ultimately successful struggle to get Deadpool on the movie screen in all its R-rated, 4th wall breaking glory, one would think it should be easy to get Deadpool 2 in theaters. However, in recent weeks one of movie fans' most anticipated sequels has been in creative free-fall - and that descent continues today.

After teasing fans with the introduction of big X-Men characters like Cable and Domino, Deadpool 2 hit us with a bomb blast when word came down that the director of the first film, Tim Miller, was leaving the sequel. Word continued to leak out that Miller and franchise star Ryan Reynolds had gotten into a serious clash about the creative direction of the sequel, and that the studio ultimately gave higher authority to Reynolds, causing Miller to walk. Today, we got word that superstar soundman Junkie XL, who provided the awesome score for Deadpool, is also walking from Deadpool 2, out of solidarity for Miller leaving.

Some might look at this and just see creative changes in store for Deadpool 2, but this second departure has us officially worried. And here's why:

Style Choices

The word regarding the Miller/Reynolds feud was that it was over a stylistic approach for the sequel. Reynolds wanted to focus on the comedy and meta-humor; Miller wanted to make a bigger budget superhero action movie film. Another sticking point was who should play Cable with Miller wanted Kyle Chandler and Reynolds disapproving of that choice. The Cable issue aside, what has us worried about Junkie XL leaving is that it lends credit to the idea that Tim Miller's stylistic ideas for Deadpool 2 may have more merit than Reynolds'.

Miller was a visual effects artists who broke out with an Oscar nominated short film, as well as that now famous Deadpool CGI test footage - which earned so much hype after being leaked online that the movie got made, got its R-rating, got Reynolds the part, and Miller his first feature-film directing job. The test footage became Deadpool's now-famous "Honest Trailer style" opening credits, and immediately set the tone that this was a different sort of superhero movie, stylistically speaking.

Well, unique and original style in action movies is not an easy thing to replace, and the dismissal of Miller is clearly not only worrying us or the fans, but those closest to the film, as well. But should we

Track Records

deadpool-is-going-to-be-bad-and-suck-209060.jpg

The fact is that there's a choice of track records in front of fans when it comes to Deadpool 2:

Tim Miller's awesome short film idea manifesting into the most successful R-rated superhero film of all time.
    Ryan Reynolds' comedic hijinks, which definitely helped make Deadpool a successful brand and live-action character - but also have been responsible many, many, many, bad movies.
    With talent like Junkie XL seeming to indicate that the "magic" is gone without Tim Miller involved in Deadpool 2, it's an awful lot of trust to put on Reynolds and his comedic sensibilities to carry us through. It's an even bigger trust when you consider that fan-favorite characters like Cable and Domino could have their cinematic reputations resting on Reynolds, as well. And without Junkie XL's talent, it's hard to see how we'll even get a soundtrack as awesome as we did with the first film.

That's all to say again: We're officially worried about Deadpool 2 - how about you?

Logan hits theaters on March 3, 2017, followed by Deadpool 2 on January 12, 2018. Movie versions of Gambit, New Mutants and X-Force are still being developed.

http://comicbook.com/2016/11/03/deadpool-2-loses-junkie-xl-/
  • PILL_COSBY
    Options
    I hope you guys not really expecting old man Logan ... yikes

This is fox we're dealing with, of coarse we're not. We just speaking on how much they are gonna ? ? up again. Also how much they ? up already just from watching a damn teaser trailer.
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    Fox Already Planning Deadpool 3 With X-Force Included

Earlier today it came to light that FOX is considering hitting the reset button on it's X-Men franchise, and while the news hasn't been rosy recently for the X-Men, there is still the bright spot of Deadpool.

Deadpool kicked off a potential franchise for the studio, which was fantastic timing since the last core entry, X-Men: Apocalypse, didn't meet the high bar set by X-Men: Days of Future Past. When Deadpool took a relatively small budget of $58 million and roped in over $782 million worldwide.

It's easy to understand then why FOX greenlit a sequel so quickly, and for awhile there it was all sunshine and rainbows, until it wasn't. Recently director Tim Miller walked off the project citing creative differences with star Ryan Reynolds. That massive shakeup hasn't dimmed the studio's hopes for the project, however, and they've attempted to fill the spot quickly. They are in current negotiations with David Leitch (John Wick) to fill the director's chair, but even more surprising is that according to THR sources, FOX has already started work on Deadpool 3. Those sources say that FOX has a great deal of faith in Reynolds and Deadpool, and will start their director search for it soon. The film is rumored to involve another popular group in the X-Men mythos, X-Force.

As to why all the shakeup on Deadpool, reports say Miller wanted to maintain the balance of raunchy comedy and narrative from the first film but also wanted to significantly increase the budget to rival other films in the genre. Reynolds was more interested in keeping the same guerilla feel from the first film in regards to budget and wanted more comedy elements inserted in the script. The two could not find a common platform, and finally parted ways.

FOX can plan all it wants, but if Deadpool 2 can't keep the ship afloat, then it does them no good to plan for a third entry in the series. Hopefully, the team can find a director and get on the same page quickly, as fans don't want to see this franchise go away prematurely.

Deadpool 2 is currently slated to land in theaters on March 2, 2018.

http://comicbook.com/2016/11/09/fox-already-planning-deadpool-3-with-x-force-included/
  • soul rattler
    Options
    Either reboot the ? or don't.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Can Marvel get a run at this X Men ? ? FOX doesn't know what the ? to do.

This is like WB with Superman.