The 2017 MLB Thread

Options

Comments

• Tommy bilfiger
    Tommy bilfiger Members Posts: 22,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ckfree wrote: »
    i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2015%2F0519%2Fmlb_g_otani_RW_576x324.jpg&w=570

Teams are drooling over the possibility that Japanese right-handed pitcher and outfielder/DH Shohei Otani, 22, might be coming to MLB next offseason when he becomes a free agent. The right-hander has a 95-99 mph fastball with a wipeout curve, a slider and splitter. He was 10-4 last year with a 1.87 ERA, and he also has a power bat with 20-25 home run power, which will make him intriguing to National League teams. The Dodgers in particular are interested and have been targeting him for years.

Many analysts are projecting that Otani will end up being the highest-paid Japanese player in baseball history if he decides to come to the States.

theres a possibility this monster will come stateside in 2017

interested to see if this news affects how some teams go about acquiring pitching this offseason

I've been reading about this cat for a minute.This is the type of move theo would be on and the type of starting pitcher the cubs could use a young ace

I read he was most likely gonna be posted winter '17 or 2019 unless somethin changed
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Options
    Fowler go anywhere but the cards man ? them racist rednecks
  • ckfree
    ckfree Members Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    there are executives and scouts that say next offseason is a real possibility

same people are saying he could get 300 million since all the big markets will be in on him

the dodgers, red sox and yankees have been linked to him since hs

he wants to pitch and hit so an n.l team might have an advantage

i dont think he would actually DH because teams are so risk averse

they baby pitchers with pitch counts so i dont see any club accepting the extra risk of injury if his stuff is THAT good

a guy like bumgarner is a pretty good hitter and could probably hold his own if given everyday ABs but hes not paid to hit

hes paid to keep other guys from hitting

otani will be the same

we will see what he does next season though because his hitting stats look good in a small sample this year but he hit .202 the year before
  • ckfree
    Options
    theo and co. actually ate roasted goat in the wrigley field bleachers

get this man a statue NOW
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Options
    there are executives and scouts that say next offseason is a real possibility

same people are saying he could get 300 million since all the big markets will be in on him

the dodgers, red sox and yankees have been linked to him since hs

he wants to pitch and hit so an n.l team might have an advantage

i dont think he would actually DH because teams are so risk averse

they baby pitchers with pitch counts so i dont see any club accepting the extra risk of injury if his stuff is THAT good

a guy like bumgarner is a pretty good hitter and could probably hold his own if given everyday ABs but hes not paid to hit

hes paid to keep other guys from hitting

otani will be the same

we will see what he does next season though because his hitting stats look good in a small sample this year but he hit .202 the year before

I just read an article on mlb.com about otani.He might get posted this offseason cuz the pitching market is weak and he'd immediately become the biggest fa on the market
    As a left-handed hitter, he had a slash line of .322/.416/.588 with 22 homers, 67 RBIs and a 1.004 OPS

lol duke aint doin this in mlb, these numbers better than several position players.We'll see what happens dodgers and yankees would have the advantage cuz they have/had japanese players
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Options
    http://www.theplayerstribune.com/dexter-fowler-cubs-world-series-champs/

ckfree this dexter fowlers perspective of game 7 in the players tribune it's a good read
  • infamous114
    infamous114 Members, Moderators Posts: 52,202 Regulator
    edited November 2016
    Options
    We need starting pitching badly and the free agent market looks weak as ? .
  • O.G.
    O.G. Members Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dodgers trade Howie Kendrick to Phillies for Darin Ruf, Darnell Sweeney
  • ckfree
    Options

ckfree this dexter fowlers perspective of game 7 in the players tribune it's a good read

this was my favorite part
    At first it just started out with a few guys. But before long everyone was in on it. No one wanted to lose, because it was one of those things like, you lose … you’re out. Next guy steps in for you.

And the crazy thing was, it seemed like each guy had the best Mario Kart races of his life that night. Riz, Tommy Lastella, everyone was at their career-best level. It was impressive.

mario kart was cool unless you were an only child or with one controller

on the low that felt like fowlers goodbye though

one of my favorite things to keep reading or hearing about was that heyward contributed as a leader during the rain delay

even as a viewer watching i was like ok cool i need that lol i still dont know how chapman got out that inning

that rain delay meeting really was kind of like the visit to the mound dusty never took
  • ckfree
    Options

this shouldnt be a 'hesitation'

it should be

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

*catches breathe*

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

*hang up the phone while laughing*
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Options

At first it just started out with a few guys. But before long everyone was in on it. No one wanted to lose, because it was one of those things like, you lose … you’re out. Next guy steps in for you.

And the crazy thing was, it seemed like each guy had the best Mario Kart races of his life that night. Riz, Tommy Lastella, everyone was at their career-best level. It was impressive.

one of my favorite things to keep reading or hearing about was that heyward contributed as a leader during the rain delay

even as a viewer watching i was like ok cool i need that lol i still dont know how chapman got out that inning

that rain delay meeting really was kind of like the visit to the mound dusty never took

Yea he's gonna paid in free agency.It's been real hate to lose a brotha but he's earned his payday last year free agency didn't work out this year he'll get that contract

The cubs need a lead off hitter
  • big_chris67
    big_chris67 Members Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭
    Options
    The Cubs parade is gonna top the Cavs parade by over double, with ease. Cubs remind me of the city of Cleveland before the Cavs won the title: always picked as the lovable losers, clowned and ridiculed and didn't get any respect. The history of choking and settling for less...and finally, a title is won. Words could not describe how I felt when my Cavs ended this city's championship drought. Cubs fans, cherish this special moment for the rest of your lives. There's nothing like it.

I went to the parade and it was bananas i booked my flight from cali as soon as they won it was dudes and females climbing trees to get a view of the rally best money i ever spent.
  • ckfree
    Options

Yea he's gonna paid in free agency.It's been real hate to lose a brotha but he's earned his payday last year free agency didn't work out this year he'll get that contract

The cubs need a lead off hitter

fowler will be 1 of the best FAs on the market this winter he is perfect for this team for the next 2-3 years but he will get at least a 4 year deal from someone

we already know almora has the defensive to more than replace fowler but chances are the added pressure to get on base means youre putting a young guy in a difficult situation where he probably fails

russell doesnt get on base nearly enough

same with baez

heyward if he can figure things out and get back to the hitter he was pre 2016 would be nice
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Options
    2rpbhpl.gif

This otani cat hitting ? thru the roof da ?
  • ckfree
    Options

looks like the braves may be trying to accelerate the rebuild and put people in the park for their inagural season

i fugured the bartolo signing was nothing more than atlanta investing in a cheap midseason trade chip but theyre also interested in bringing back mccann

bartolo is weird because i know hes old as ? but his recent track record is really amazing and he goes to an atrocious team (right now) for 12.5 mil -- which is about the going rate for a terrible starter and i know father time could finally catch up to him this year but how is there no team willing to pay him more with this FA class -- this market for SPs (and just higher salaries for everyone in general) and his recent track record -- buchholz just got more for pretty much getting completely lit up 2 out of every 3 starts -- if i was a contender i would absolutely roll the dice on colon for 20 mil

i mean to a team like texas why would you not
  • ckfree
    Options
    2rpbhpl.gif

This otani cat hitting ? thru the roof da ?

that should have been a grand slam it dont matter if there was runners on
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Options
    Man if the braves serious about sale If I'm the white sox I'd say give me albies and kevin maitan(who scouts says is and will be WAY better than gleyber torres) then 2 pitchers.Problem is albies and maitan mad young albies is closer to the big leagues maitan at least 2 years away he's like 16-17.

They said maitan the best international prospect since miguel cabrera
  • ckfree
    Options
    white sox need hitting prospects the most

the braves are loaded with pitching prospects

outside of swanson nobody really jumps out as a sure thing

the white sox want power to come out of 2b so that crosses off albies

i think the braves are mentioned so the nationals would pay a bit more

awards will be announced this week

yesterday: rookies

al: fulmer
    nl: seager

today: managers
    wednesday: cy youngs
    thursday: mvp
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Options
    Jon heyman like the woj of mlb he stay breaking news

Morosi then rosenthal next.Nightengale a clown and most the espn reporters be on some kc johnson confirming what others reported tip

Braves got some nice young talent on that farm none is really proven yet that's the issue,it's all projections.White sox in a great position they could get a bidding war with like 5 teams and choose the best package.
  • ckfree
    Options
    'i can also confirm'

- local nba team beat writers minutes after woj breaks some news

nightengale is usually kenny go to leak guy

which is why it was interesting how angrily hahn refuted nightengale stuff at soxfest this past february

im curious about where the cracks between hahn and williams really lie

rumors have also been circulating lately that sale and todd frazier could go to the dodgers for a 'substantial' prospect package

best matches i think

red sox
    dodgers
    nationals
    pirates
    cubs (but we know that wont happen)
    rockies
    astros
    yankees

im not that crazy about texas and joey gallo but you cant count them out
  • ckfree
    Options
    Free agents Ian Desmond and Jose Bautista are telling teams they'll play anywhere teams want them to play, as both players are more concerned about getting the best possible deal. Desmond is open to playing center or left field or even returning to shortstop, while Bautista has made it clear he'll play right or left field, or even first or third base.

i respect their stance

if i can go from this to that but have to go from say los angeles to cleveland

? it

id walk to rusty ass cleveland like forrest gump
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Options
    Gleyber Torres tearing up the afl :s never wanted to trade duke for no rental he coulda headlined a blockbuster for a young ace.

The cubs won the world series but still
  • ckfree
    Options

his future looks bright

but that world series trophy looks damn good

and those memories are forever
  • ckfree
    Options

atlanta would be stupid to part with any of their studs right now

they are on the verge of getting to where they need to be

sending off

swanson
    albies
    maitan
    etc

would be dumb at this point

a team that is as far off from contending as the braves has no business trading valuable futures assets for a pitcher -- 1 ace will not fix the entire team -- it takes multiple pieces -- i dont care how talented the pitcher is -- a guy like sale might make them slightly better and more entertaining the next 3 seasons but hes not the missing piece for this team -- he also certainly isnt enough to up attendance in a fickle market

be patient and keep the rebuild going

it worked for each of the 2 world series teams this season

no sense in pulling a diamondbacks but this aint the 90's braves who had an owner that cared about the team and went out and got the best talent -- now they have liberty media who is more concerned with ripping off the teams city and building an unnecessary stadium outside of the city limits
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Options
    Highly doubt they trade swanson he from the atl area that's gonna sell tickets alone and he's really good

Maitan and the younger prospects is who I'd trade in the right scenario.They got a 3b who is close,swanson already up,albies(2b) not far away he got injured so that might push his eta back and some pitching prospects not far away either.The white sox could be tryin to use the braves as leverage cuz I read trea turner,giolito is the type of haul they'd prefer