Is the east coast style of hip hop dying out? Lets talk about it.

Options

Comments

• StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5th Letter wrote: »
    AggyAF wrote: »
    qawshun wrote: »
    Don't like Bobby/young m.a cause nothing about their music says Bk let alone ny.

False

If you were living under a rock and someone played Hot ? they probably wouldn't think Bobby is from NY.
    Don't like Bobby/young m.a cause nothing about their music says Bk let alone ny.

False

If you were living under a rock and someone played Hot ? they probably wouldn't think Bobby is from NY.
    What about doesn't sound like New York ? Why do you think the tri state gravitated to that song like we did ?
    Of course they would. Bobby sound exactly how you think someone his age from his area would sound.

Listen to Joey BadA$$ who's also from NY who is also around the same age as Bobby and tell me that both of them sound like NYers?

Both sound like New York

Go to east Flatbush/flatbush there's plenty of Bobby shmurda ass cats there

The only folks that say gs9 wasn't New York are old

One sounds like a southerner the other sounds like a NYer.

How does Bobby shmurda sound like a southerner? Is it the 808s?
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

False

False

What about doesn't sound like New York ? Why do you think the tri state gravitated to that song like we did ?
    Of course they would. Bobby sound exactly how you think someone his age from his area would sound.

Listen to Joey BadA$$ who's also from NY who is also around the same age as Bobby and tell me that both of them sound like NYers?

Both sound like New York

Bobby sounds nothing like the south.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options

False

False

Both sound like New York

How does Bobby shmurda sound like a southerner? Is it the 808s?

Flow and cadence. Similarly to how 50 Cent used to sound on certain songs.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    Bobby sounds like the south? thats a new one to me
  • PILL_COSBY
    PILL_COSBY Members Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options
    @AggyAF

Listen here young man, I'm going to have to stop you at that old comment. You sounding real young saying that. Actually somebody around your age wouldn't even know the difference since you came of age during the "southern takeover". You don't remember hip hop and the way ? was the way a late 20's - 30's/40's hip hop fan would. So actually it's kinda stupid for someone your age to even be talking to somebody in that age bracket who lived it. Somebody who walk them same blocks before you were even born or knew what a region was lol. It's best you just sit this one out and soak up some game. Because the only thing you can add to this convo is "your old, that's not what I see". The very point of this thread is to take a look AT HOW THINGS WERE,WHERE THEY ARE AT NOW, AND BEYOND. You get my point?
    the thing about the south is that ? is huge.

Texas south sounds nothing like Miami which sounds nothing like ATL which sounds nothing like Tennessee etc
    It's the same with the east coast, mid west, and the west. Everybody got the same type of swag but put they own twist on it. It's nothing completely different though. North and southern cali differ a bit, but not too much. New jersey, new york, and boston are the same way.

False

lol He's a millennial bruh, he don't even know what we are talking about. Personally I thought bobby shmurder was another chicago drill rapper before I thought the south. He definitely don't sound N.Y though. I was shocked as ? when I seen his video. Hell, they wasn't even giving off an N.Y/east coast vibe. They swinging around blue rags, braids all done up like southern cali gangstas, dancing around like some southern cats, grouped all up like southern cats, etc etc. ? was a weird cluster ? .
  • Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

False

False

Both sound like New York

That ? dont sound southern at all..the beat dont even sound southern..southern influenced? Absolutely..but southern ? dont really sound like that. He sound like a new yorker that grew up on southern music.
  • 5th Letter
    Options
    PILL_COSBY wrote: »
    @AggyAF

Listen here young man, I'm going to have to stop you at that old comment. You sounding real young saying that. Actually somebody around your age wouldn't even know the difference since you came of age during the "southern takeover". You don't remember hip hop and the way ? was the way a late 20's - 30's/40's hip hop fan would. So actually it's kinda stupid for someone your age to even be talking to somebody in that age bracket who lived it. Somebody who walk them same blocks before you were even born or knew what a region was lol. It's best you just sit this one out and soak up some game. Because the only thing you can add to this convo is "your old, that's not what I see". The very point of this thread is to take a look AT HOW THINGS WERE,WHERE THEY ARE AT NOW, AND BEYOND. You get my point?

Texas south sounds nothing like Miami which sounds nothing like ATL which sounds nothing like Tennessee etc
    It's the same with the east coast, mid west, and the west. Everybody got the same type of swag but put they own twist on it. It's nothing completely different though. North and southern cali differ a bit, but not too much. New jersey, new york, and boston are the same way.

False

lol He's a millennial bruh, he don't even know what we are talking about. Personally I thought bobby shmurder was another chicago drill rapper before I thought the south. He definitely don't sound N.Y though. I was shocked as ? when I seen his video. Hell, they wasn't even giving off an N.Y/east coast vibe. They swinging around blue rags, braids all done up like southern cali gangstas, dancing around like some southern cats, grouped all up like southern cats, etc etc. ? was a weird cluster ? .

Yeah I do think drill rapper might be a better example than south. But even then drill music is/was influenced by the south. Either way Bobby don't sound like a NY rapper.
  • PILL_COSBY
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Stiff wrote: »

False

False

Both sound like New York

That ? dont sound southern at all..the beat dont even sound southern..southern influenced? Absolutely..but southern ? dont really sound like that. He sound like a new yorker that grew up on southern music.
    Oh yes it do lol, sound like some slowed down Louisiana bounce. Some manie fresh ? .

But the point still stands, he on some southern ? . When you first heard him you didd not think new yorker using the southern style. That's leech montana lol.
  • PILL_COSBY
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Bobby sounds like the south? thats a new one to me

He don't sound like nobody from your area lol. He's like a hybrid of ? south/drill, and a little bit west coast.

Yo, I almost forgot nicki manij is from N.Y a few times. She on some south ? too. Even be changing up her slang and voice at times. I don't even hear a lot of y'all claiming her. She's like in the same category as leech montana.
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options
    @AggyAF

Actually I'm from Boston and I've lived in New York and I currently reside in New Jersey.

New York is its own planet, especially Harlem. You can be walking down the street in Harlem and somebody might have a mixtape for sale. The mixtape will have alternate versions of songs by major artists that will be released in 6 months or a year from now. If you've lived in New York for a few months/years and go back to wherever you're from its like a time warp. The news is different. Things that were news 6 months ago in New York are news to people in other cities. The slang is different, the drug prices are different. You can cop coke/weed/heroin in Harlem and triple your money in any other city in America.

Growing up outside of Boston I always admired New York for their swagger. I remember flying out to California when I was 17 and I noticed the differences but all the cities stay connected through the news, MTV, BET, The Source, etc. The difference is that New York doesn't stay connected through MTV, BET and The Source, MTV, BET and The Source are/were manufactured in New York City. In other words, Rap City, 106 and Park, Yo ! MTV Raps and The Source Magazine were headquartered in New York and when you consider that, and then consider that until fairly recently most record labels were headquartered in New York too, New York was pretty much making it up as they went along.

I mean, all throughout the 80s, 90s and mid 00s The Source was being manufactured in NYC, Rap City was being programmed in NYC, Yo MTV Raps was in NYC. Hot 97, all the mixtape DJS were in New York. If you lived in California and you wanted to go nationwide, you had to go through New York. There was no other way. (Actually The Arsenio Hall Show was stationed in Los Angeles and that show was nationwide)

All that is to say, now with the internet you don't have to go through New York to make it. So maybe the threadstarter has a point. You can live in New Orleans, make videos and put them on the internet or email the videos to MTV and BET . You don't have to get a 4 mic rating in The Source to sell records anymore. You don't have to freestyle in the Rap City Basement anymore (which was in Harlem). There's other ways to make it.
  • P. Town
    P. Town Members Posts: 27,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

False

False

Both sound like New York

Oh yes it do lol, sound like some slowed down Louisiana bounce. Some manie fresh ? .

But the point still stands, he on some southern ? . When you first heard him you didd not think new yorker using the southern style. That's leech montana lol.

Wasn't that beat originally Lloyd Banks beat though?
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    P. Town wrote: »

False

False

Both sound like New York

yes it was and the produced by a dude who normally works with meek, a northern ?
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    y'all outta touch and don't know what you're talking about.
  • PILL_COSBY
    edited November 2016
    Options
    P. Town wrote: »

Yep lol!!!!!! The producer is from the east coast as well. Damn, that brings up something else I left out. They even making southern type beats. LOL at somebody bringing up premo, Premo been in texas for years and rarely even makes beats anymore.
    y'all outta touch and don't know what you're talking about.

How could we be out of touch when this is talking about the the past, present, and the direction somethings going in the future? Actually you and other youngsters are out of touch with the subject of this thread. Please have a seat with aggy and just observe if this is the only thing you can add to this "wack thread"(your words).
  • Stiff
    Options

False

False

Both sound like New York

Jalil Beats do NOT sound southern...at all.
  • 5th Letter
    Options
  • PILL_COSBY
    Options

how old are you?

• Tsotsi Cape Town
    Tsotsi Cape Town Members Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sorrow_? wrote: »
    simply put, the south has evolved their signature style over time while every other region tries to go back to their roots in the 90s and stay that way instead of evolving it to fit the current landscape. New York was doing pretty good til mid 2000's then fell off hard while the south has continued to innovate. West coast had Yg and dj mustard create a new "modern west coast sound" which worked for a little while im not sure what happened.

Hell no ? the West just fine production wise, plenty dope new producers out there
  • Stiff
    Options

i bet you think all asians look alike too
  • Stiff
    Options
    That jeezy beat do sound southern tho..but it dont sound like a typical jalil beat

That gudda gudda one (you got gudda gudda songs on deck like that?) dont sound southern tho
  • Stiff
    Options

how old are you?

• 5th Letter
    Options

i bet you think all asians look alike too

Meh
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options
    I invite y'all to go to Canarsie, east Flatbush etc an for tell me you don't see a bunch of shmurda ass ?

That's New York now. Doesn't matter if you don't like it
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options
    @AggyAF

False

The bold is just dumb
    Braids??? They West Indian aka black. We braid or loc our hair sometimes you know
    Crips and bloods been in New York since the 90s. Next. Grouped up all like souther cats?????? I guess ? standing in front of their projects or standing on the block was never done in New York before 2007 huh
  • BackInWhite
    BackInWhite Members Posts: 23,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options
    NY ? gon stake a claim on standing together now
    Wow