zzombie wrote: »
    jono wrote: »
    Kwan Dai wrote: »
    Chicago is one of the most segregated cities in the United States, as is Detroit. Both are in shambles. Segregation is a fools response.

Honestly, its the focus on STEM fields in education bolstered by educated immigrants.

Its not some anomaly either. Its the same for Africans, Arabs and Indians as well. They have strict education and cultural standards.

There's a difference between self segregation and what goes on in Chicago
    5th Letter wrote: »
    There is a difference between true segregation and impoverished neighborhoods that black people live in because that's all they can afford.

This is what y'all ? want. You want to bunch ? together and this what you have. This is what you always had with segregation.

There has always been middle class enclaves both white and black. There are black middle class areas even in the cities I mentioned.

How is that working out?

You don't live in reality or deal with truth. Every other ethnicity in America self segregates. We are the only stupid mahffacus afraid to live amongst our own. Even your scared ass wants to segregate. You enjoy living and socializing with the people you feel most comfortable around. You scared ? will swear that living, learning, growing, and chilling amongst your own is some type of reversed racism or some way of being cheated out of life experiences. FOH.

Blacks have self segregated.

Middle class blacks don't want to live with low class, poor ? . It makes no sense for them to do so. Property values, quality of life, education systems are all better living away from poverty. What incentive is there for people to live together just because they're black?

In any event segregation is segregation.

Now again...how is that working out?

You still refuse to get it...the rich living away from the poor is natural among all people but a system of societal connection still remains with the elite leading the poor.

But with blacks this isn't so because our elite lack the power to lead us anywhere and it's because we aren't United we rather go to whites/mainstream before we go to our own

Who are these "elites"?

You keep mutating this argument. Now there are Arab and Asian pied pipers running these societies? WTF. Just stop

Every society has an elite it's usually the people with the power wealth and influence. I am not mutating ? you just refuse to see reason because it would mean admitting your perspective is wrong
    Tell me who the elite of Chinatown is. Who is the elites of Dearborn or what about these white neighborhoods?

Lol please. Reason.

Lol if already told you... what you want direct names??? Whoever owns the Asian owned banks or has community influence coupled with wealth.
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Chicago is one of the most segregated cities in the United States, as is Detroit. Both are in shambles. Segregation is a fools response.

Honestly, its the focus on STEM fields in education bolstered by educated immigrants.

Its not some anomaly either. Its the same for Africans, Arabs and Indians as well. They have strict education and cultural standards.

There is a difference between true segregation and impoverished neighborhoods that black people live in because that's all they can afford.

This is what y'all ? want. You want to bunch ? together and this what you have. This is what you always had with segregation.

There has always been middle class enclaves both white and black. There are black middle class areas even in the cities I mentioned.

How is that working out?

segregation is forced. self segregation isn't. I dont want to "bunch" together blacks. I want blacks to of their own volition stay together.

middle class areas are great You don't seem to have a point

It doesn't matter lol. ? splitting hairs

There is a serious differencenough because one is an act of agency and the other is a result of oppression

Its the same in the end. You don't want people to voluntarily do ? . All this ? y'all saying now is to counter what I'm saying lol.

Black Wall Street came from oppression, those ? had no choice but to live together. Y'all love romanticizing it and other neighborhoods across the country had the same system.

Middle class blacks have always had agency, the problem is thats a small percentage...always have been.

What you are saying doesnt seem to be based on observable reality and the bold is just Wong rich ? got checked by white supremacist all the time.

Read a history book. I never said they didn't face backlash for doing what they wanted but they did it anyway

? you said they had agency....how when america was under segregation by law and white supremacy was the official policy????... getting your rights disregarded and told what you can and cannot do isn't an example of agency
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

How is that working out?

segregation is forced. self segregation isn't. I dont want to "bunch" together blacks. I want blacks to of their own volition stay together.

There is a serious differencenough because one is an act of agency and the other is a result of oppression

Its the same in the end. You don't want people to voluntarily do ? . All this ? y'all saying now is to counter what I'm saying lol.

Black Wall Street came from oppression, those ? had no choice but to live together. Y'all love romanticizing it and other neighborhoods across the country had the same system.

Middle class blacks have always had agency, the problem is thats a small percentage...always have been.

What you are saying doesnt seem to be based on observable reality and the bold is just Wong rich ? got checked by white supremacist all the time.

Read a history book. I never said they didn't face backlash for doing what they wanted but they did it anyway

? you said they had agency....how when america was under segregation by law and white supremacy was the official policy????... getting your rights disregarded and told what you can and cannot do isn't an example of agency

You apparently don't know ? (not a surprise there) but yes Blacks even under segregation could move around. They faced violence when they left the designated "? areas" but the strong stood firm.

Many black middle class neighborhoods actually came from whites leaving the neighborhood because black people moved in. Other blacks had their homes vandalized or lives threatened. They faced discrimination in housing and banking and work but the desire to move where ever the ? they wanted kept them moving forward.

They had options. White folks did all kinds of stupid ? to stop it, limit it or control it but they did it. This is a fact. Again...where are yours?
  • Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options
    We as Black people tried to build our own towns ,communities etc eventually Whites caught wind of what we were doing and burned it down to the ground .Asians do not have to worry about white supremacy breathing down their necks watching their every move forward the most part they are left alone . Our Relationship if you can call it that with the United States is very unique and comparing our experience to other minorities is ridiculous to begin with.
  • jono
    Options

How is that working out?

You don't live in reality or deal with truth. Every other ethnicity in America self segregates. We are the only stupid mahffacus afraid to live amongst our own. Even your scared ass wants to segregate. You enjoy living and socializing with the people you feel most comfortable around. You scared ? will swear that living, learning, growing, and chilling amongst your own is some type of reversed racism or some way of being cheated out of life experiences. FOH.

Middle class blacks don't want to live with low class, poor ? . It makes no sense for them to do so. Property values, quality of life, education systems are all better living away from poverty. What incentive is there for people to live together just because they're black?

You still refuse to get it...the rich living away from the poor is natural among all people but a system of societal connection still remains with the elite leading the poor.

But with blacks this isn't so because our elite lack the power to lead us anywhere and it's because we aren't United we rather go to whites/mainstream before we go to our own

Who are these "elites"?

You keep mutating this argument. Now there are Arab and Asian pied pipers running these societies? WTF. Just stop

Every society has an elite it's usually the people with the power wealth and influence. I am not mutating ? you just refuse to see reason because it would mean admitting your perspective is wrong
    Tell me who the elite of Chinatown is. Who is the elites of Dearborn or what about these white neighborhoods?

Lol please. Reason.

Lol if already told you... what you want direct names??? Whoever owns the Asian owned banks or has community influence coupled with wealth.

So you don't know?

You don't know these magic Asians exist but you sure they're there?
  • zzombie
    Options

How is that working out?

You apparently don't know ? (not a surprise there) but yes Blacks even under segregation could move around. They faced violence when they left the designated "? areas" but the strong stood firm.

Many black middle class neighborhoods actually came from whites leaving the neighborhood because black people moved in. Other blacks had their homes vandalized or lives threatened. They faced discrimination in housing and banking and work but the desire to move where ever the ? they wanted kept them moving forward.

They had options. White folks did all kinds of stupid ? to stop it, limit it or control it but they did it. This is a fact. Again...where are yours?

Unless you are talking about full agency you don't have agency... moving around is the least example of freedom.
  • the dukester
    the dukester Members Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Many studies have confirmed that applicants with identical resumes when applying for jobs have very different results.

Black sounding names get rejected 50% more than white and Asian sounding names.

That's institutional racism like a ? .

We ? up when we integrated with white people. Every statistically significant index in black progress has regressed since the 70's (the epitome of black self-empowerment).

-Black businesses were thriving

-Strong two-parent households

-High number of black marriages

-Low black on black homicide rate

Only thing we can tout as an upgrade from those years are college degrees. Which, in a backhanded kind of way, has made us reliant on begging the white man for a job, instead of emulating the blueprint of immigrants who come here & open up businesses.
  • zzombie
    Options

How is that working out?

Who are these "elites"?

Lol please. Reason.

So you don't know?

I actually can give you direct names but what would be the point??? You are clearly stuck on stupid.all anyone has to do is just look into the Asians who own Asians American banks or Google richest Asians Americans you won't get a full list but you will get plenty name
  • jono
    Options

How is that working out?

Unless you are talking about full agency you don't have agency... moving around is the least example of freedom.

But freedom nontheless.

How is that working out?

Who are these "elites"?

Lol please. Reason.

So you don't know?

I actually can give you direct names but what would be the point??? You are clearly stuck on stupid.all anyone has to do is just look into the Asians who own Asians American banks or Google richest Asians Americans you won't get a full list but you will get plenty name

Waiting...
  • zzombie
    Options
    Will someone else who understands what I'm saying talk to jono talking to him is like talking to a f****** ? . This fool thinks the elite in any respective Society is a myth
  • jono
    Options
    Your idea that a rich asian somehow exerts some sort of authority is funny. That's really what I want you to prove.

An Asian being well off isn't a big deal, in fact who cares? What i care about are these so called edicts they pass down to the others. Show me some proof or shut it down.
  • Cabana_Da_Don
    Cabana_Da_Don Members Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Indians, Chinese, Koreans, and most other Asians keep to themselves, employ each other, don't mind staying under their parents roof until established, value education, strict ethics, and own ? ...

This is the key.
  • zzombie
    Options

How is that working out?

But freedom nontheless.

How is that working out?

Who are these "elites"?

Lol please. Reason.

So you don't know?

Waiting...

? you google them I'm not going to do everything for you....by the way a lot of African Americans only moved because they had no choice it was move from the south or face the terrorism of the kkk
  • jono
    Options

How is that working out?

But freedom nontheless.

How is that working out?

Who are these "elites"?

Lol please. Reason.

So you don't know?

Waiting...

? you google them I'm not going to do everything for you....by the way a lot of African Americans only moved because they had no choice it was move from the south or face the terrorism of the kkk

From the south yes but I'm talking about intracity movement. I'm talking about blacks who made money while living in one part of town moving to the suburbs. I'm not talking about Great Migration, which is something different.

• zzombie
    Options
    Your idea that a rich asian somehow exerts some sort of authority is funny. That's really what I want you to prove.

An Asian being well off isn't a big deal, in fact who cares? What i care about are these so called edicts they pass down to the others. Show me some proof or shut it down.

Any Asian being rich is a big deal because in that community their dollars bounce. In a democracy the elite don't rule by order they rule by influence
  • zzombie
    Options

How is that working out?

But freedom nontheless.

How is that working out?

Who are these "elites"?

Lol please. Reason.

So you don't know?

Waiting...

From the south yes but I'm talking about intracity movement. I'm talking about blacks who made money while living in one part of town moving to the suburbs. I'm not talking about Great Migration, which is something different.

? moving to the suburbs means next to nothing and much of the black home ownership of the previous decades was a result of government interferance in the housing market..... that's your big proof that blacks have true agency LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL moving into the suburbs and paying a mortgages instead of a rental fee LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
  • jono
    Options

Any Asian being rich is a big deal because in that community their dollars bounce. In a democracy the elite don't rule by order they rule by influence

Yo..
    Prove some proof
  • jono
    Options
    Home ownership being boosed by government intervention happened in the 70s which is post-segregation. I'm talking about the 40s right smack in the middle of racism and white supremacy.

Try again sir
  • zzombie
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Home ownership being boosed by government intervention happened in the 70s which is post-segregation. I'm talking about the 40s right smack in the middle of racism and white supremacy.

Try again sir

Lol and???? Owning a home in the suburbs means nothing especially if you are paying a mortgage it's the bare minimum is now and was then
  • jono
    Options

Try again sir

Lol and???? Owning a home in the suburbs means nothing especially if you are paying a mortgage it's the bare minimum is now and was then

It meant something. ? were willing to ? you to keep you out of their neighborhood and people killed to protect their homes.

Honestly, this has been a waste. I suggest you pick up a history book, in fact I will suggest one book in particular - Thomas Segrue The Origins of Urban Crisis. It focuses on Detroit but it applies to plenty pre-Civil Rights urban cities.
  • zzombie
    edited November 2016
    Options

Try again sir

It meant something. ? were willing to ? you to keep you out of their neighborhood and people killed to protect their homes.

Honestly, this has been a waste. I suggest you pick up a history book, in fact I will suggest one book in particular - Thomas Segrue The Origins of Urban Crisis. It focuses on Detroit but it applies to plenty pre-Civil Rights urban cities.

It meant nothing that actually mattered because as a whole blacks are still poor and the whole point of capitalism is to attain wealth and power. i already studied African American history but your problem seems to be that you actually accepted the narrative described in those books
  • zzombie
    Options
    Will someone else who understands what I'm saying talk to jono talking to him is like talking to a f****** ? . This fool thinks the elite in any respective Society is a myth

• Undefeatable
    Undefeatable Members Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

How is that working out?

Not saying you're wrong or anything, but can you say some more about this?

Are you saying that blacks are, on some level, being lead by the poor?

Also, what kind of leadership are you thinking about in terms of the elite leading the poor?

Just want to understand your point of view more. (I possibly have thought similar things, depending on what you mean.)
  • Undefeatable
    Undefeatable Members Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is my view.

Asians experienced a lot of racism when they first came to this part of the world -- probably more than you think.

But they were immigrants, and immigrants are self-selected for traits that tend to facilitate success. True, laws were eventually passed to block any more from coming, but their immigrant status would nonetheless provide the foundation for future generations.

Importantly, they never faced quite the same degree of racism that blacks faced, and they were also a smaller group (i.e. they posed less of a threat), and over time this allowed them to build on their initial advantage as immigrants. What I mean is that as they were treated better than blacks, and allowed greater social intercourse with whites, this allowed them to interact more with whites, and in this way whites came to regard them as 'not-so bad,' which in turn gave them more opportunities, the taking advantage of which further enhanced their perception in the eyes of whites. It is a virtuous circle. Later, after immigration laws were relaxed, more educated and or -education-minded Asians arrived, and these newer groups did even more to cement the popular perception of them.

Key to the process is that whites abandoned their stereotypes of Asians as they had more contact with them.

Arguably, a similar thing may be possible for blacks, but I would contend that there are far more obstacles, the biggest being that we are more phenotypically different from whites than Asians are from them. Roughly speaking, this means that we can expect some form of unequal treatment for the foreseeable future, and possibly forever. Ultimately, I don't believe that blacks will ever be able to go the Asian route of white acceptance. Improvements can be made, however. Anti-black stereotypes, as deeply entrenched as they are, are not completely inflexible over the long-term. The more enduring -- and so more serious -- problem is one of value.
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Go read Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell and you'll understand why Asians are historically more successful than other groups. It'll also let you know why Koreans are such ? pilots, why kids born a certain time of year are better hockey players, etc.