The Official Dragonball Super Thread (All my DBZ fans come in here)

Options

Comments

• IamNumberOne
    IamNumberOne Members Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    gemini86 wrote: »
    Just rewatched most of the fights between Black and the gang. It was great and it shows how each character has different fighting styles.

They're focusing more on techniques and strategies than just all out brawling like in DBZ I like that about DBSuper
  • OmegaConflict
    OmegaConflict Members Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    texas409 wrote: »
    So technically Trunks didnt ? Zamasu and if Zeno didnt show up the universe would be over? ok

Vegeta taking one final swing on his boy almost made me cry a thug tear

RNS
  • TheRicanKing
    TheRicanKing Members Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Thoughts on the whole of the Zamasu arc?
    Overall thought the arc was good.
    But it had a horrible ending. 2 Mais and Future Trunks which creates yet another timeline fiasco and our future Trunks failed completely despite the stupid power ups he got. No explanation on his ? Ki or spirit bomb and now hes off to go live a lie. 2 Zenos who i thought was omnipresent as well. The Vegeta and Goha moments were great but this ? was a ? catastrophe smh lol.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    Vegeta the gawd for swinging on his boy
  • mrtdb
    mrtdb Members Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thoughts on the whole of the Zamasu arc?
    Overall thought the arc was good.
    But it had a horrible ending. 2 Mais and Future Trunks which creates yet another timeline fiasco and our future Trunks failed completely despite the stupid power ups he got. No explanation on his ? Ki or spirit bomb and now hes off to go live a lie. 2 Zenos who i thought was omnipresent as well. The Vegeta and Goha moments were great but this ? was a ? catastrophe smh lol.

Felt like the arc was really good...
    In my book Zamasu easily secured a spot as arguably the most bad ass and evil villains the crew ever fought. The man damn near consumed a universe. A few plot holes...a few moments that didn't make much sense. And I felt they moved a bit fast through the arc, and should have realized they had something good going and slowed it down a bit. (had Vegito fight longer, etc.)

But at the same time this arc got a lot of people who weren't following Super to catch up and watch. For the most part, it had us all wondering that would come next....and even with all the speculation, I don't think anyone thought Zamasu would fulfill his zero mortals plan...especially after the spirit sword. Like you said though...I felt the ending was weak, and I'm hoping Trunks comes back for the tournament later on...so we can get some explanation for his blue aura Super Saiyan transformation? Overall I'd give it a 8/10 for DB overall, and 10/10 for DBS as it was easily the best saga so far.
  • Guy Gardner
    Guy Gardner Members Posts: 306 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    some how this is all barry allen's fault
  • Guy Gardner
    Options
    but real talk, after hearing about how barry allen and rick sanchez regularly ? up the time line, half ass explanations like this aren't gonna fly anymore....

we're way too versed on time travel these days.... dbz needs to just leave that ? alone going forward if they insist on doing no research on the all the ridiculous loop holes they left...
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Considering time travel isn't real they can do it how they want. The Flash has no monopoly on time travel or how time travel stories are made.

The Flash is trash anyway.
  • Guy Gardner
    Options
    naw, flash is godly,

but they explain multiple universes and time travel regularly, so the overall expectations of storylines like this is higher, people aren't willing to just accept ? cuz of lazy writing, which is what EVERYONES complaint is....
  • jono
    Options
    The Flash isn't the standard. They do time travel the same as say Terminator so who's to say Terminator isn't the standard? Back to the Future could be the standard, Looper could be the standard.

The Flash does it one way which is one way to do it.

Time travel is a tricky subject to approach because its so science fiction-y. Its also incredibly abstract.

The idea of two people being the same person living in the same time line isn't even unique. Looper did that, the most recent Terminator did it. Hell DBZ did it.

I would prefer time travel to be kept simple if it needs to be done at all but trying to act like The Flash is the standard bearer...it isn't. Time travel is too abstract for that.
  • Guy Gardner
    Options
    i said nothing about the standard, i'm talking about the over explanation of shows like flash and rick and morty....

in the overall world over the nerd.....we tend to all either watch or are at the least familiar with the same ? .....

most people in nerd culture have grown up watching ? like back 2 the future and terminator who were very broad stroked in their explanations of time travel and it's effects....we might have haad questions and noticed loop holes, but a lot of us were kids then, and just enjoyed the movies....but if you look online, our generations picks apart those same loop holes on youtube and other places we can blog and rant....

movies like butterfly effect came out and got a bit more detailed....

and of course dbz did their own thing with future trunks before....

my point is this....in the past 2-3 years shows like flash and rick and morty came out and completely expanded the concepts of time travel and multiple dimensions so much that the half assed explanations that worked in back 2 the future, and terminator, and even the future trunks android saga ? just doesn't fly.....

infact this whole season people been complaining about time line inconsistencies and lazy writing....

my whole point is, the core fans of ? like dbz are just smarter now, and if you wanna do time travel, either make it more detail oriented, or just leave it alone as a whole....bcuz the only people watching right now also watch ? that makes this just look bad in comparison.....

as a whole, this wasn't a bad arc.....it just got a little too lazy at times, cuz the writers just didn't take into consideration how much attention their fans paid to detail

• jono
    Options
    But they still are not beholden to any other style of explanation.

Again, DBZ(S) is not the Flash or anything else. Its DBZ(S). What they did is consistent with their universe, which is the important point.

What other people choose to do with time travel is irrelevant to how they do it.

Everyone is going to do it differently.
  • OmegaConflict
    Options
    Cons
    The animation, Power level inconsistencies
    The hard cuts
    Plot holes
    Ass pulls
    Ridiculously short battles
    Manga being behind
    Lack of character development
    Bad writing "I left the senzus in the bathroom" 6/10

Goten is going to be 15 years old still ? his pants in a forest
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Krillin looks like a teenager
  • OmegaConflict
    Options
    Black killing bulma and beating the ? outta trunks for a year gets this saga a 7/10.
  • Guy Gardner
    Options
    jono wrote: »

Again, DBZ(S) is not the Flash or anything else. Its DBZ(S). What they did is consistent with their universe, which is the important point.

What other people choose to do with time travel is irrelevant to how they do it.

a large majority of dbz fans who were in their teens and younger when the show first came out are now in their late 20's and 30's now....

explanations on time travel should reflect that especially considerations how much we've been exposed to it....

i dunno, i'm just saying lazy writing and exposition might work for kids, but not on adults....and even though they think they're still making a kids show.......adults are watching this
  • jono
    edited November 2016
    Options
    jono wrote: »

a large majority of dbz fans who were in their teens and younger when the show first came out are now in their late 20's and 30's now....

explanations on time travel should reflect that especially considerations how much we've been exposed to it....

i dunno, i'm just saying lazy writing and exposition might work for kids, but not on adults....[ b]and even though they think they're still making a kids show.......adults are watching this[/b]

Sounds to me that adults need to realize they are watching a kids show. Though its not really a kids show. This arc was very dark.

Again, this is consistent with their universe. That's all you can or should expect.

Toriyama writes simple stories. .

Simple =/= lazy just because you think it shouldnt be. I'd rather he keep it simple and consistent than try to be complex.

This simple storyline confused a lot of the so-called writing experts (that wanted Black to be Goten or for Zeno to destroy everything 7 weeks ago) so heaven forbid if he attempted, and failed at trying to be overly complex.

If you prefer time travel stories in other universes - cool but that's those universes. It wouldn't make sense to do it here. It makes even less sense to expect it.

They explained time travel theory in Dragon Ball, we've seen it and so far its consistent. That's all you're really owed from a writing standpoint.
  • Guy Gardner
    Options
    my response to that

Young Justice
  • Guy Gardner
    Options
    My thing is, if you going for a younger audience, do a total revamp

Countless franchises did that. X-men, batman, Teen Titans,, fantastic 4,ninja turtles like20 times

They chose to stay canon and pick right back up after the buu Saga

bruh, if you were 8 back in 2000 you're 24 now.... There are no kid dbz fans
  • jono
    Options
    Well Kai was an introduction for the youth and the new stuff is geared towards them.
  • OmegaConflict
    Options
    Arale may end up being goten gf. Perfect match since they both don't age.
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    inb4 krillin tries to smash arale
  • OmegaConflict
    Options
    Beta wrote: »
    inb4 krillin tries to smash arale

I hope not she looks like a preteen. She was poking a pile of ? with a stick a few weeks ago. Da ? is wrong with you