The real secret to Asian American success

Options

Comments

• desertrain10
    desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is my view.

Asians experienced a lot of racism when they first came to this part of the world -- probably more than you think.

But they were immigrants, and immigrants are self-selected for traits that tend to facilitate success. True, laws were eventually passed to block any more from coming, but their immigrant status would nonetheless provide the foundation for future generations.

Importantly, they never faced quite the same degree of racism that blacks faced, and they were also a smaller group (i.e. they posed less of a threat), and over time this allowed them to build on their initial advantage as immigrants. What I mean is that as they were treated better than blacks, and allowed greater social intercourse with whites, this allowed them to interact more with whites, and in this way whites came to regard them as 'not-so bad,' which in turn gave them more opportunities, the taking advantage of which further enhanced their perception in the eyes of whites. It is a virtuous circle. Later, after immigration laws were relaxed, more educated and or -education-minded Asians arrived, and these newer groups did even more to cement the popular perception of them.

Key to the process is that whites abandoned their stereotypes of Asians as they had more contact with them.

Arguably, a similar thing may be possible for blacks, but I would contend that there are far more obstacles, the biggest being that we are more phenotypically different from whites than Asians are from them. Roughly speaking, this means that we can expect some form of unequal treatment for the foreseeable future, and possibly forever. Ultimately, I don't believe that blacks will ever be able to go the Asian route of white acceptance. Improvements can be made, however. Anti-black stereotypes, as deeply entrenched as they are, are not completely inflexible over the long-term. The more enduring -- and so more serious -- problem is one of value.

yep

I would make the correction that whites abandoned their negatives stereotypes of Asians, that's probably what you meant though

and add with the model minority myth was a political creation peddled by the media in the 60s to uphold new immigrants as models of racialized success in the U.S. and to deflect attention from social unrest, the blk power movement

• LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Trillfate wrote: »
    Asians are naturally submissive

Sort of. There's a lot of respect for authority that other cultures don't reallt share. Just look at how their classrooms are run and its night and day.
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The success of Asians is not predicated on white acceptance. That article is making a correlation is causation argument in other words a illogical fallacy. Yes whites have less destructive stereotypes about Asians however there has no causal link with Asian achievement in the world of science or business.

People in this thread and the writer of that article suppose that societal acceptance is more influential on success then personal work and achievement. That way of thinking is the reason why black people are losers it's the reason why we blame society, blame racism and blame inequality for all our problems and downplay what can actually happen when you actually work.
  • MarcusGarvey
    MarcusGarvey Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Black people get beat down erry day. I'm gonna be constructive.

•Encourage education
    •stress family
    •be conservative with your money. Save!
    •invest in a side hustle
    •Love thy self. These white people full of ?
    •Marry or cohabitate with the mother/father of your child. 2 parent homes should be the norm

These will raise the the pathetic median black net worth
  • ghostdog56
    ghostdog56 Members Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Black people paved the way for these chinks to be successful in this country
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Lefty_ wrote: »
    Ya'll know I keep a story in the chamber......

I was in middle school right, 8th grade. I went to a mostly black school as you would expect being in the inner city. So me and some of the other ? is in class, snappin, talkin, doin our work, but still on the ? . It's the beginning of the school year so ? gettin in where the fit in as far as the social order goes. We talkin about our shoes and stuff like that, what chicks we bout to bag. So it's this asian dude in school with us, he's sitting toward the back of the class with his head down doing his work, we were too, but we were toward the front, all adjacent, but dude is back in the corner.

It's one dude tryin to score points because he wants to fit in, he was new to our school. So you know how kids are, he starts goin around the class just askin questions to people, and finally he reaches the asian dude.... He asks his name, and he tells him. He had a weird shirt on and some corduroy pants, like he gave no ? about the fashion.... He wasn't annoyed about the homie talkin to him, but you can tell he wanted to get back to his work. So dude got done askin these offensive ass questions like "do ya'll eat dogs fa real" "Is asian ? sideways" "can I tell where ya'll from by the shape of your eyes" clowin bruh, whole class is dyin. The last question he asked was where did he get his clothes, tryin to be funny like he was feelin his gear. The asian dude was like "the store" like he ain't wanna say, so my mans pressed him, which store and finally dude was like "thrift"... whole class exploded....(Do The Right Thing Outrage Gif) because we all know, even if we went to payless, you never admit you went to payless, or pickaway.....

Long story long. My ? that was askin the questions just got out of jail in July from a 8 year joint for Agg Rob. The asian dude and his pops owns 3 corner stores and a liquor store in the same school catchment area where we grew up. This story isn't rare all like that, and now that I remember, most of the asian kids I went to school with were almost invisible.....Maybe we should take notes.

Asians shut there mouth n worked all these years...they let there fam stay in house n save $$..stress school..

I go to mcdonalds n its filled with young asian kids that will flip burgers

On the other hand there a bummy ? askn for a watercup
  • BangEm_Bart
    BangEm_Bart Members Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Work on building your kingdom in secrecy. No need to announce your moves on the ? chess board where your opponents can see it. That's the common error amongst black folks.
  • b'mer...
    b'mer... Members Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    In (white) amerikkka, asians culturally bring more to the table and idolize them without hesitation more quickly than our people. Asians offer more of a cash influx to them (white people) by establishing businesses in our communities while kicking it back to them via business incentives. The dog meat, meat glue, plastic rice, hair and other commodities they sale us are shipped here on tankers owned by....you guessed it!!!
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They only hire their own and a lot of them exploit black and brown communities without contributing ? to it. ? em!lol This is coming from a ? that's been to damn near every Asian country.

You can't convince me it's because of education. It's because they are viewed as non threatening and the perfect minority. You think for a second they receive financial discrimatory practices blacks do. It's easy to say start your own business when you can't get no loan because you black
  • Undefeatable
    Undefeatable Members Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    zzombie wrote: »
    The success of Asians is not predicated on white acceptance. That article is making a correlation is causation argument in other words a illogical fallacy. Yes whites have less destructive stereotypes about Asians however there has no causal link with Asian achievement in the world of science or business.

People in this thread and the writer of that article suppose that societal acceptance is more influential on success then personal work and achievement. That way of thinking is the reason why black people are losers it's the reason why we blame society, blame racism and blame inequality for all our problems and downplay what can actually happen when you actually work.

You are talking about recent immigrants, but for the most part I wasn't talking about immigrants. I was talking about those who were in the US since the late 19th century. The success of more recent Asian immigrants can't be mainly explained in terms of white acceptance. But white acceptance still helps their children and grandchildren.
  • the dukester
    the dukester Members Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Peep the scenario:

Asian family sits down for dinner. Little boy says he doesn't want to eat his veggies. His Mother tells him he must eat them because a elderly worker picked them for him, and it would be disrespectful to him if he refused to eat them.

Scenario 2:

Black family sits down for dinner. Little boy says he doesn't want to eat his veggies. His Mother tells him he must eat them if he wants to grow up to be big & strong.

These two scenarios are a representative sample of inherited cultural practices that have present-day impacts on our decision making.

Asian family stresses virtues like respect for elders, honor, family hierarchies, etc.

Black family stresses individualism. Do for self, be independent, etc.

No wonder you can go into any Asian store and see little kids working in the store, while the elders groom them to take over the family business one day.

Our culture puts an over emphasis on individualism. I know many ? (myself included) whose mom couldn't wait to kick a ? out the house once I turned 18.

We need a paradigm shift in cultural practices that stress family values, community involvement, and support of black businesses.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Peep the scenario:

Asian family sits down for dinner. Little boy says he doesn't want to eat his veggies. His Mother tells him he must eat them because a elderly worker picked them for him, and it would be disrespectful to him if he refused to eat them.

Scenario 2:

Black family sits down for dinner. Little boy says he doesn't want to eat his veggies. His Mother tells him he must eat them if he wants to grow up to be big & strong.

These two scenarios are a representative sample of inherited cultural practices that have present-day impacts on our decision making.

Asian family stresses virtues like respect for elders, honor, family hierarchies, etc.

No wonder you can go into any Asian store and see little kids working in the store, while the elders groom them to take over the family business one day.

Our culture puts an over emphasis on individualism. I know many ? (myself included) whose mom couldn't wait to kick a ? out the house once I turned 18.

We need a paradigm shift in cultural practices that stress family values, community involvement, and support of black businesses.

This is true and its because whether they want to admit it or not they're Americans!!

All the nationalities I mentioned previously focus on family and staying together.

Americans believe that even your children are leeches.

• MD_PROPER
    MD_PROPER Members Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The article put me to sleep
  • BangEm_Bart
    BangEm_Bart Members Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Peep the scenario:

Scenario 2:

That's where religion comes in, not culture.
  • zzombie
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Peep the scenario:

Scenario 2:

Culture is influenced by religion there are philosophers that taught that capitalism grew out of the protestant work ethic.

And when you look at economic systems and output of nations with Protestant heritage's vs Nations with Catholic heritage's it would seem that those philosophers were right
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    full?d=1409200376

"Make fun of my thirft kothes

I own ya fuckn naaborhood"
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    _Goldie_ wrote: »
    The Asian American plight is nothing like the African American plight, the comparison is foolish.

.......i don't even see words only your sig jesus christ who is that
  • the dukester
    Options
    Peep the scenario:

Scenario 2:

I disagree fam.

Religion (Christianity) doesn't require anything from you other than your presence and money.

Cultural practices require you to follow strict behavioral models like rigorous study habits for school, obedience to authority, and many other tenets that bind Asian communities together.

Christianity gives people an "out", with the we all fall short of the glory of ? nonsense. It gives followers an excuse to sin, making a mockery of the religion, and failing to hold people accountable like cultural practices do.
  • zzombie
    Options
    Peep the scenario:

Scenario 2:

I disagree fam.

Religion (Christianity) doesn't require anything from you other than your presence and money.

Cultural practices require you to follow strict behavioral models like rigorous study habits for school, obedience to authority, and many other tenets that bind Asian communities together.

Christianity gives people an "out", with the we all fall short of the glory of ? nonsense. It gives followers an excuse to sin, making a mockery of the religion, and failing to hold people accountable like cultural practices do.

Wrong much of what made Europeans rise from there once lowly status was the principles that were based on the religion of Christianity.... why would you even write this when I mentioned the protestant work ethic????
  • zzombie
    Options
    The cultural aspects of Asian culture can also be found in their religion/ religious ideology . Supreme respect for family and authority where do you think that comes from??? Confucianism.
  • the dukester
    Options
    The cultural aspects of Asian culture can also be found in their religion/ religious ideology . Supreme respect for family and authority where do you think that comes from??? Confucianism.

You're confusing "Confucianism" & other spiritual meditation type rituals with religion. Two different things.
  • zzombie
    edited November 2016
    Options

You're confusing "Confucianism" & other spiritual meditation type rituals with religion. Two different things.

Confucianism is built on religion much the same way the Protestant work ethic is
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Peep the scenario:

Scenario 2:

What you're describing is the difference between AMERICAN culture and a lot of "Eastern" cultures. If you speak to the Asian Americans who have been here for many generations, they complain that their children/grandchildren no longer follow their family virtues and traditions.

A lot of African cultures follow the same things you have listed under the Asian family.