The Official World Politics Thread - All Breaking News here.

Options

Comments

• JJ_Evans
    JJ_Evans Members Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    fortyacres wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/XSX2LP5lLfQ

lol @ Joe tryna pivot and make excuses for Trump.

? Joe and Mika. They gave him his initial platform and helped him throughout the campaign.
  • stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/sanders-doubles-down-diversity-class-remarks
    Sanders Doubles Down: Dems Need More Than Racial And Gender Diversity Alone

Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT) posted a statement on Tuesday doubling down on comments he made urging Democrats to support diverse candidates for office who would also focus on the working class and stand up to corporate power.

In a Medium post titled “How Democrats Move Forward,” Sanders wrote that, given the recent election results, Democrats “need to seriously rethink who we are and how we best go forward.” He emphasized that the Democratic Party is the “party of diversity,” and that it should continue to involve people of diverse racial and gender backgrounds in the political process.

"But," he wrote, “to think of diversity purely in racial and gender terms is not sufficient.”

“Yes, we need more candidates of diversity, but we also need candidates—no matter what race or gender—to be fighters for the working class and stand up to the corporate powers who have so much power over our economic lives,” the post read in part. “We need all of our candidates to have the courage to stand up to the Koch Brothers, Wall Street, drug companies, insurance companies, oil companies, and fight for working families — not just the top one percent.”

The statement came after Sanders made similar remarks over the weekend about how he believes Democrats should shift their focus beyond "identity politics" after Donald Trump's electoral victory.

During a Q&A session after a speech in Boston on Sunday, Sanders said that while the Democratic Party needed to keep working to elect more racially and gender diverse candidates, “one of the struggles that you’re going to be seeing in the Democratic Party is whether we go beyond identity politics.”

"It's not good enough to say, 'Hey, I'm a Latina, vote for me.' That is not good enough. I have to know whether that Latina is going to stand up with the working class of this country, and is going to take on big money interests," Sanders said, responding to a someone who asked about her aspiration to be the second Latina U.S. senator.

"I think it’s a step forward in America if you have an African-American CEO of some major corporation,” Sanders said later in his answer. “But you know what, if that guy is going to be shipping jobs out of this country, and exploiting his workers, it doesn’t mean a whole hell of a lot whether he’s black or white or Latino."

Those remarks spawned varying interpretations, from the argument that Sanders meant to “layer a big dose of economic populism on top of these social-justice concerns” to the argument that “Sanders himself understands his main intraparty ideological opponents in these terms."

And this why Bernie couldn't win any states in the primary that had significant black or hispanic folks in it...
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options
    JJ_Evans wrote: »
    If the good Doc pulls this off, I never want to hear from you third party bashers ever a-? -gain.
  • MarcusGarvey
    MarcusGarvey Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options
    1CK1S wrote: »

I know they trying to funnel public funds to private hands but black kids need chartered schools that are well regulated
  • matches malone
    matches malone Members Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mister B. wrote: »
    If the good Doc pulls this off, I never want to hear from you third party bashers ever a-? -gain.

how would this even work? Jill gets a recount on her terms, w/o Clinton's approval, since Stein is a candidate too and doesnt need her to say anything on it, proves Hillary got more votes, wins the electoral college, and she wins?

cmon man that ? would be nice but we know it aint happening.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    Meanwhile

A federal judge in Texas issued a nationwide injunction on Tuesday against an Obama administration regulation expanding by millions the number of workers who would be eligible for time-and-a-half overtime pay.

The regulation was scheduled to take effect on Dec. 1. It would raise the salary limit below which workers automatically qualified for overtime pay to $47,476 from $23,660.

The judge, Amos L. Mazzant III of the Eastern District of Texas, ruled that the Obama administration had exceeded its authority by raising the overtime salary limit so significantly. The ruling was hailed by business groups who argued the new rules would be costly and result in fewer hours for workers.

lmao poor people stay losing

But Obama never did nothing for black people

Poor people=black people and 2 people consigned this ? . Smh.
  • MarcusGarvey
    edited November 2016
    Options
    5th Letter wrote: »
    Meanwhile

A federal judge in Texas issued a nationwide injunction on Tuesday against an Obama administration regulation expanding by millions the number of workers who would be eligible for time-and-a-half overtime pay.

The regulation was scheduled to take effect on Dec. 1. It would raise the salary limit below which workers automatically qualified for overtime pay to $47,476 from $23,660.

The judge, Amos L. Mazzant III of the Eastern District of Texas, ruled that the Obama administration had exceeded its authority by raising the overtime salary limit so significantly. The ruling was hailed by business groups who argued the new rules would be costly and result in fewer hours for workers.

So they aren't disproportionately poor? Not what the data says
  • Peace_79
    Peace_79 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Meanwhile

Ironic.

When many of the Non-voter crowd of the IC have overwhelmingly used the (obvious) poor economic condition of black people in America as their reasoning "Democrats haven't done anything for black people".

Yall can't play both sides.

FOH
  • 5th Letter
    Options
    There are poor whites and poor blacks. That policy that Obama put out wasn't done specifically for black people.
  • fortyacres
    fortyacres Members, Moderators Posts: 4,479 Regulator
    Options

deadline is Friday and she needs 2.5 mill for that.

so she believes in the so called "lesser of two evils" now
  • MarcusGarvey
    edited November 2016
    Options
    There are poor whites and poor blacks. That policy that Obama put out wasn't done specifically for black people.

"Specifically"

Even if the policy would specifically help black people making less than $47k?
    The median income for blacks is like 35k. So that would be a lot of people.

Chess not checkers

I don't get the "Barack didn't do anything specifically for black people" crowd sometimes
  • fortyacres
    edited November 2016
    Options
    https://youtu.be/XSX2LP5lLfQ

lol @ Joe tryna pivot and make excuses for Trump.

? Joe and Mika. They gave him his initial platform and helped him throughout the campaign.

Mika disappoints me i know she claims to be a democrat (always riding the co-tails of her father) , but the way she acts and speaks she seems like a closet conservative or republican to me, Joe defends, makes excuses for republicans all the time , speaks over her and she doesnt even speak up or defend any of her party's policies , shiets' discustin. These people are part of the con.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    all she does is make faces.. its far and few beween that she digs deep and says something of merit concerning the absurdity of it all.. and Joe is an idiot he reminds me of beavis.. or buthead whatever that ? name was
  • 5th Letter
    Options

"Specifically"

Chess not checkers

I don't get the "Barack didn't do anything specifically for black people" crowd sometimes

When Obama passes policy's for Latinos, gave Jews reparations, pass bills for ? people, did ? for Native Americans, that was SPECIFICALLY for them. Obama doing ? for poor people is not doing anything specific for black people.
  • fortyacres
    Options

"Specifically"

Chess not checkers

When Obama passes policy's for Latinos, gave Jews reparations, pass bills for ? people, did ? for Native Americans, that was SPECIFICALLY for them. Obama doing ? for poor people is not doing anything specific for black people.

this is not true , do your googles bro its not that difficult.

If you feel he hasnt done enough then maybe you have a perspective argument, but he has passed legislation and policy for Black People specifically.
  • 5th Letter
    Options

"Specifically"

Chess not checkers

this is not true , do your googles bro its not that difficult.

If you feel he hasnt done enough then maybe you have a perspective argument, but he has passed legislation and policy for Black People specifically.

We had this discussion before right?
  • Lord Ether
    Lord Ether Members Posts: 736 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Meanwhile

Black people need to stop being grouped with other people in umbrella terms. Thats how we end up receiving the short end of the stick. Our needs need to be addressed specifically. We also don't need any symbolic victories.
  • 5th Letter
    Options
    Lord Ether wrote: »
    Meanwhile

Black people need to stop being grouped with other people in umbrella terms. Thats how we end up receiving the short end of the stick. Our needs need to be addressed specifically. We also don't need any symbolic victories.

Thank you, you said it better than I could, anyway next topic.
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • MarcusGarvey
    Options

"Specifically"

Chess not checkers

What laws/policy did Obama pass specifically for Latinos?

Get ready for the set up, pick your answer carefully
  • MarcusGarvey
    Options
    I'll concede the point on $12m holocaust survivors, that's another rant for another day. The way the US treats, you know what, we all know what that's about
  • 5th Letter
    Options

"Specifically"

Chess not checkers

Lol at get ready for the set up let me guess black immigrants benefitted from it too?
  • MarcusGarvey
    Options

"Specifically"

Chess not checkers

Lol at get ready for the set up let me guess black immigrants benefitted from it too?

Haha. All right I'm done