Could I become a top boxing contender at the age of 30?

Options

Comments

• Lefty_
    Lefty_ Members, Writer Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    Troll thread but I'll play along.... if you don't have that hunger don't step in the ring. If you're going to have a hard time putting down the weed to get in shape you're not going to go anywhere.

I am not stopping the weed, I can get in shape with the weed as long as I stick to a small amount, or maybe you are right only time can tell.

I dont know about the UK, but in the states they drug test you pre-fight

However, this point is moot if you are looking to reenact the movie Snatch

Lol it's funny you should mention snatch because I have a friend who does that illegal scene, but I am thinking legit is the best way for me, I will need to stop smoking tobacco too, oh and I just read Rocky Marciano started at 25 and look what he did.

You would go undefeated if you was supported by the mob too.
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rocky Marciano did that in like 1930. The sport has evolved.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • dwade206
    dwade206 Members Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Copper wrote: »
    Go for it and remember always drop your left hand.

Well, that, and also always remember to smoke weed before every boxing match. You'll be p4p king in no time.
  • Peace_79
    Peace_79 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Can you imagine if T/S was serious with his threads?

That would be some grade A stupid, bruh.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    this can be good u up to take hits like

Vicious%20Mike%20Tyson%20uppercut.gif

6qtrr.gif
  • Hendrix_NoJimmy
    Hendrix_NoJimmy Members Posts: 128 ✭✭
    Options

6qtrr.gif

I hit a ? like that once and damn near broke my fist trying to break his metal jaw lol fighting aint for the faint of heart
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Preach2Teach
    Preach2Teach Members Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

6qtrr.gif

Mike is retired now so the chances of having to take a shot like that are zero, plus my aim is to be hitting people with that shot, my uppercut is pretty good but needs a lot of work to ? with Iron Mikes!
  • Preach2Teach
    Preach2Teach Members Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    One thing I never thought about was the psychological side, I am a nice guy so ? people up for money is not gonna come easy to me, I need to be ready to ? come fight night I am gonna need to build an alter ego I need a name!
  • Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Never been in a boxing match but I feel like I have a good understanding of the art, I do some shadow boxing most nights as I smoke weed and it's starting to feel good, I am in decent shape and work out as much as possible but have been slacking lately, anyway, just wondering if you think 30 is too old to start? truth be told I just want to make some money and this is one of my prospects, drop some advice or clown me, I'm just throwing it out there.

Anybody else find their true calling later in life or know of people who did?

I don't see why not. You might be one of those freaks of nature and you end up being another,

c9b81c07fcba748767e97e6bd1c38356.jpg

He started late in life and had a damn good career. Even though he lost in his first fight to Apollo Creed, he shocked many in the boxing world and went on to beat Creed in the second fight and won the title. Rocky's record was 57-23-1. With his most notable losses being to Clubber Lang and Ivan Drago. In his second fight with Lang he knocked out him out in the second round, thus regaining the title. Despite being in his mid 50's he went the distance with Mason Dixon and lost in a spite decision. So anything is possible.
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    30 is not a good age to start getting punched in the head. Take up fishing or something.
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah, of course you can...just not here in the US. Take yo ass to Asia.
  • b'mer...
    b'mer... Members Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rocky is just a movie....
  • The_Jackal
    The_Jackal Members Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Guy Gardner
    Guy Gardner Members Posts: 306 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options
    sparring will get those delusions of grandeur out of your head....

either way, it's a great sport to pick up, even at 30.....the cardio alone will change your life
  • 808HiLife808
    808HiLife808 Members Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    As the illustrious Nasir Jones once said......
  • dwade206
    Options

either way, it's a great sport to pick up, even at 30.....the cardio alone will change your life

This right chea. When I first got in the ring against my trainer who had an amateur career back in the day, who was about 20 pounds lighter than me, he won that sparring match with ease. From that point I knew that boxing is a totally different animal than weightlifting. Not only are you trying to systematically beat someone, you have to have the conditioning, technique, and HEART to absorb pain. In other words, if your old ass hasn't done it by now, you don't want that work. If anything, train to get your hand skills in order and keep it at that.
  • Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    b'mer... wrote: »
    Rocky is just a movie....

It's called sarcasm. Learn about it.
  • 25centsandwich
    25centsandwich Members Posts: 456 ✭✭✭
    Options
    dwade206 wrote: »

This right chea. When I first got in the ring against my trainer who had an amateur career back in the day, who was about 20 pounds lighter than me, he won that sparring match with ease. From that point I knew that boxing is a totally different animal than weightlifting. Not only are you trying to systematically beat someone, you have to have the conditioning, technique, and HEART to absorb pain. In other words, if your old ass hasn't done it by now, you don't want that work. If anything, train to get your hand skills in order and keep it at that.

Cosign this. The footwork and conditioning is enough to make dudes at my gym want to quit the first day. Nevermind the fact that you would be surprised how many people never took a solid shot to the ribs.

That being said...even if you started at 13 there is practically no chance you would become a boxing champion. Professionals have an inordinate amount of reach, handspeed, or punching power in both hands. A guy like Ward who is an inactive and boring upper tier boxer would wipe an average professional fighter away. You would have literally a zero percent chance.
  • silverfoxx
    silverfoxx Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 11,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just train someone like a pupil. If you have so much knowledge, become a trainer
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    On some real ? Bernard Hopkins and Hassim Rachman did...go for it
  • dwade206
    Options
    On some real ? Bernard Hopkins and Hassim Rachman did...go for it

Bruh, Bernard had an amateur background and was the prison champ.