Comments

• xxCivicxx
    xxCivicxx Members Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    xxCivicxx wrote: »
    But y'all think voting doesn't matter.
    Just in Michigan, since this ? Rick Snyder has taken office we've had...

Forced emergency manager laws
    Detroit bankruptcy (not wholly his fault)
    Flint Water Crisis
    Forced Right to Work
    Nunerous complaints about Michigan's crumbling infrastructure
    And now we find out the kids don't have a right to a functional education systems.

But yay the pistons are moving to town...right? FOH because we have to pay for that too.

That has absolutely nothing to do with voting smh

Black people have never EVER had a right to an education in this country

The purpose of public schools has always been to train worker drones and nothing else

Has everything to do with voting. How do you think these people get in office - divine right?

Move on goofy ? , let's not make this about you today.

Once again simple ? , it's been that way since slavery ended, through ALL presidential terms

It's not my fault you were too stupid to figure that out until now
  • xxCivicxx
    Options
    Meester wrote: »
    D. Morgan wrote: »
    As ? up as it is the Michigan AG is right. Its not a right or a law that kids have to be provided a quality education or be taught to read and write.

Its not even in the us constitution that the gov't has to provide kids with a quality education.

How well kids are educated is up to the parents, family and community.

So since nobody is going to ask.....

......why do we have school then?

I just told you

It's to prepare worker drones and prison inmates
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Flint Water Crisis
    Forced Right to Work
    And now we find out the kids don't have a right to a functional education systems.

But yay the pistons are moving to town...right? FOH because we have to pay for that too.

The purpose of public schools has always been to train worker drones and nothing else

Has everything to do with voting. How do you think these people get in office - divine right?

Once again simple ? , it's been that way since slavery ended, through ALL presidential terms

Divine right?
  • desertrain10
    desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    zzombie wrote: »
    zzombie wrote: »
    You people really need to take a political science class or civics class you apparently don't understand the society you are living in

? understand fine. This here is politics.

You have people who are anti-public schools who are making sure the schools don't function properly so they can have an excuse to subsidize their buddy's charter school....that also doesn't function properly.

Yep

Same with a lot of Republicans in Congress

They purposely didn't work with Obama just so they later say "see, big government is bad" or "Democratic leadership has failed us"

But yea Snyder ain't ? ...

On Wednesday, the administration of Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder (R) filed a court motion attempting to block a federal judge's order that the state deliver bottled water to residents of Flint, Michigan without functioning water filters, the Detroit Free Press reports

https://www.google.com/search?client=ms-android-att-us&hl=en-US&oe=utf-8&safe=images&q=flint+synder+water&source=browser-type&qsubts=1479919691172

Think the motion was filed last week

Big government is bad and people were saying if waaay before Obama

Think the motion was filed last week[/quote]

Big government is bad [/quote]

nobody likes big government more than republicans.....as long as it serves their agenda
  • Valentinez A. Kaiser
    Valentinez A. Kaiser Members Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    As ? up as it is the Michigan AG is right. Its not a right or a law that kids have to be provided a quality education or be taught to read and write.

Its not even in the us constitution that the gov't has to provide kids with a quality education.

This is the broader question. You have a system that's supposedly not required to work but its mandated that you pay for it AND attendance is mandatory.

came in to say this.
  • Peace_79
    Peace_79 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options

I just told you

It's to prepare worker drones and prison inmates

This is true.

The first bold is from an outdated time period.

The job market has changed a little bit since the 1940s.

The second bold is from systemic racism -
    a problem spanning multiple institutions; that needs to be addressed.

What I don't understand is how people believe that there is absolutely NOTHING that can be done about the problems that exist.

And if people truly feel that way ... why they choose to live here in the first place...

• Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Damn...ya'll ? are ? .
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    And that's why America is behind

The don't want you to be succeed. They make sure they make it as hard as possible.
  • semi-auto-mato
    semi-auto-mato Members Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the argument is not about education being a right but it is about the right to an equal access. no school system can guarantee that a child will be able to read and write. they must provide equal access to all children living in that state though. so if them kids in ann arbor got nice new text books they better find a way to get Detroit public schools some new text books as well

*side Note* I don't know much about Michigan so I was just throwing ann arbor out there.
  • leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Another tragic case where ideals, realism, logic, and emotion don't mix well....
  • Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the argument is not about education being a right but it is about the right to an equal access. no school system can guarantee that a child will be able to read and write. they must provide equal access to all children living in that state though. so if them kids in ann arbor got nice new text books they better find a way to get Detroit public schools some new text books as well

*side Note* I don't know much about Michigan so I was just throwing ann arbor out there.

This..a case can be built that the government is violating equal protection laws by providing kids varying levels of education.. Especially if they can show a correlation between race and quality of education provided
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options

Flint Water Crisis
    Forced Right to Work

So what's the alternative that one would take other than school? I'm talking children not college age folks
  • TheNuttinProffessor
    TheNuttinProffessor Members Posts: 460 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »

Flint Water Crisis
    Forced Right to Work

So what's the alternative that one would take other than school? I'm talking children not college age folks

Uh...homeschool ? ?

"But my job!"

Figure. It. Out
  • SOWETO
    SOWETO Members Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    this is like the nestle guy/the water; plus education is COMPULSORY! they lock ppl up for their kids not attending!
  • xxCivicxx
    Options

Flint Water Crisis
    Forced Right to Work

Either homeschooling or keeping a very close eye on what info your children come home from public school with and correcting misinformation/white washing
  • JokerzWyld
    JokerzWyld Members Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options
    We are socialized to believe that the education system here is important. Seriously, everybody knows our education system isn't working for black kids, yet parents continue to send their children there. Seek alternative methods to educate your kids. The best thing you can teach them is 1.) to value knowledge and 2.) to teach themselves by introducing them to different learning styles.

Most children learn the fundamentals - reading, writing, arithmetic - in varying degrees from their parents before they start school anyway. Keep allowing them to apply these with other skills and they will learn in no time. Use your local libraries and museums to introduce them to different subjects. Make learning interactive for them. ? a public school system.

You can learn more about human anatomy from The Magic School Bus than from an urban high school biology lab.
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Local govt. Is the community

And of their parents pay taxes ...they are entitled to that education
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Peace_79 wrote: »
    "State's rights"

"Small government"

Republicans say this when they want to get away with ? ? on a local level...and that ? ? is usually detrimental to blacks
  • NeighborhoodNomad.
    NeighborhoodNomad. Members Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The system we live in says it's not "legally" obligated to morality.

If a rule or policy was put forth in order to capitalize off me and oppress me, When is it acceptable to break that "rule" or policy?

Is it acceptable to break said rules or policies if they are contrary to morality?

It seems that we're asking permission to do the right thing. We're basically asking the ones who intentionally created these systems and conditions for permission to destroy or dismantle everything they built.

Does following these rules perpetuate our conditions?

When is it acceptable to break that "rule"?
  • NeighborhoodNomad.
    NeighborhoodNomad. Members Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Flint Water Crisis
    Forced Right to Work

One solution is homeschooling and creating our own schools.

Creating our own schools is as simple as creating a curriculum with the community/neighborhood and turning a "homeschool" into a place where several children can learn where that curriculum can be applied.
  • Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Drs. Boyce and Umar have told y'all over and over again about sending your kids to be educated by muthafuckas that don't give a ? about them.
  • blackrain
    Options

Flint Water Crisis
    Forced Right to Work

Uh...homeschool ? ?

"But my job!"

Figure. It. Out

@TheNuttinProffessor You know dann well majority of people aint fit to teach ? ...and it also ain't as easy as just figure it out either for some who can't afford to do it unless you got a way to supplement the cost. How the hell you gonna tell somebody to leave their source of income with no alternative to keep providing other than "figure it out". That's not only pretentious as ? it's just dumb.
  • blackrain
    Options

Flint Water Crisis
    Forced Right to Work

Either homeschooling or keeping a very close eye on what info your children come home from public school with and correcting misinformation/white washing

Home schooling is one way but you actually still have to know the material or else its worthless. There's also the socialization aspects that are missed out that have to be replaced somehow too. I think one big problem is parents overall not paying attention to what their kids are being taught as you said and also combined with limiting learning to only school hours. Kids need to know learning doesn't begin or end when that bell rings. Small example. For as long as I can remember my dad kept subscriptions to ? like national geographic, random engineering articles he'd bring home because he was an electrical engineer, random books on airplanes and aviation, all sorts of documentaries, have us read newspaper articles about world issues and he'd talk about it with me and my brothers and ask for our opinions and thoughts. I didn't realize it til I got older but essentially what he did was make learning about different ? a part of our normal everyday life. Stuff like that is what kids need to not only learn about what's in their books but what's in the world as well
  • TheNuttinProffessor
    TheNuttinProffessor Members Posts: 460 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Flint Water Crisis
    Forced Right to Work

Uh...homeschool ? ?

"But my job!"

Figure. It. Out

@TheNuttinProffessor You know dann well majority of people aint fit to teach ? ...and it also ain't as easy as just figure it out either for some who can't afford to do it unless you got a way to supplement the cost. How the hell you gonna tell somebody to leave their source of income with no alternative to keep providing other than "figure it out". That's not only pretentious as ? it's just dumb.

It's not my job to teach anybody to be innovative. If you think for 20 minutes I bet YOU could come up with 5 ways
  • blackrain
    Options

Flint Water Crisis
    Forced Right to Work

Uh...homeschool ? ?

"But my job!"

Figure. It. Out

It's not my job to teach anybody to be innovative. If you think for 20 minutes I bet YOU could come up with 5 ways

So you have no suggestions.. you're definitely leaving out details in just how one would go about home schooling, any costs they may incur, and how to go about working on a limited income from what they previously made because you can't work a full time career and home school at the same time. You can't present an idea as time consuming and involved as home schooling with no details other than figure it out and logically expect someone to take you serious or think you know what you're talking about other than just trying to sound smart.