Classic Or Not Vol 122......Mr Scarface Is Back

Options
Stew
Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
edited August 2016 in The Reason
The last non 80's album that went up for vote was Drake's Take Care which did not get in so we back in the 90's with this joint. Scarface's 3rd album up for vote, both The Diary and The Fix are IN the vault. Scarface's debut solo album Mr Scarface Is Back, released in October of 1991.

Scarface_-_Mr._Scarface_Is_Back.jpg
1. "Mr. Scarface"
2. "The ? "
3. "Born Killer"
4. "Murder By Reason Of Insanity"
5. "Your Ass Got Took"
6. "Diary Of A Madman"
7. "Body Snatchers"
8. "Money And The Power"
9. "P D Roll 'Em"
10. "Good Girl Gone Bad"
11. "A Minute To Pray And A Second To Die"
12. "I'm Dead"

"Mr Scarface"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULd1viBUgII

"A Minute To Pray And A Second To Die"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elOAkXy-M-E

Classic or Not?

Classic Or Not Vol 122......Mr Scarface Is Back 36 votes

Yes
63%
deakino[Deleted User]tharealest561leftcoastkevjee504psychobutcher mc317moyobigev240tompetrez3Idiopathic JokerBuilt 4 cuban linxEDDIEKANESoloman_The_WisegenocidecuttertrilladelicAggieLean.BrideofKillaTheGOATTsotsi Cape Town 23 votes
Nah
36%
supergangsterTHE_R_P. TownChillaDaKillaCapitalBIbexKamPushMe_Goldie_The Recipe5 GrandGetoBoysmp4lifex the unknown 13 votes

Comments

• 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nah
    Nope.

I remember when it was out and I saw the Geto Boys at the Providence Civic Center right when that album dropped. My Minds Playin Tricks On Me came out earlier that summer and Scarface's album dropped around December.

Anyway I saw him perform Mr Scarface in front of 20,000 people. Good show but the album wasn't classic by any means.
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    I came in here expecting a sweep. SMH unbelievable
  • genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
  • x the unknown
    x the unknown Members Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nah
    decent album but not a classic
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    Options
    Nah
    The Game- Documentary needs a re vote
  • Revolver Ocelot
    Revolver Ocelot Members Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • bigev240
    bigev240 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 10,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    Money and the power, money and the power
    I ain't fallin short I got the
    Money and the power
  • Stew
    Options
    10 to 7 ain't gonna cut it. Ill give it time thru the weekend. Can't put it in with it being this close and not reach 25 for yes.
  • ChillaDaKilla
    ChillaDaKilla Members, Banned Users Posts: 7,082 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nah
    Dope album but not a classic
  • smp4life
    smp4life Members Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nah
    Face's 1st solo classic was The Diary. The Fix is classic too.
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    Yes
    Face got one of the best catalogs in history
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nah
    i ? wit face heavy..
    but nah..

i wouldnt rate this one a classic..
  • trilladelic
    trilladelic Members Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • psychobutcher
    psychobutcher Members Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    A minute to pray and a second to die was and is insane. Even though OG Facemob is a storyteller without peer, I need to change my vote. Great album but it's not one of the GOATS many classics.
  • Stew
    Options
    Gonna up this, need more votes before I do the next one.
  • Tsotsi Cape Town
    Tsotsi Cape Town Members Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    15 a wrap isn't it? This truly is a classic, his songs will always hold weight
  • The Recipe
    The Recipe Members Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nah
    If it takes several months to get the votes needed it probably aint a classic.
  • moyo
    moyo Members Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    Money and the power, and Mr. Scarface u ? right it's a classic!!!
  • JJ_Evans
    JJ_Evans Members Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    Money and The Power, ? ....................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5I5Z8otFww
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Tommy bilfiger Members Posts: 22,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Only good solo album scarface ever made yes it's a classic
  • Lefty_
    Lefty_ Members, Writer Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    ? is wrong wit you ? . Face was a storytellin machine on this album, this is still the earliest album I can remember a ? addressing mental illness, I mean, this ? was actually seriously on some suicidal ? and put it in his rhymes and still held his gangsta, telling a story of death from multiple perspectives, introspection galore on this joint. Even on money and the power my ? told the whole narrative from gettin fronted to the top then fallin off. I can listen to other ? from the early 90s and this still sounds the most authentic. Money and the power happens everyday b.

I think The World Is Yours is his best project, but that's just me, this is still super raw, and although I was young when it dropped. I can still appreciate him tackling the game from the perspective of an actual person and not some mafioso supergangster that we would come to hear rappers talk about later. Don't get me wrong, he did, but it was at least mostly realistic.
  • deakino
    deakino Members Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    I remember buying this bootleg from a store on south orange ave when it came out. I let the tape rock til the tape popped. Still listen to this album front to back now.
  • THE_R_
    THE_R_ Members Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Nah
    THIS ALBUM HAS CLASSIC MATERIAL...
    AND ITS PRETTY SOLID OVERALL...
    BUT IT STANDS AS A 4/5 FOR ME...
  • mc317
    mc317 Members Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • tompetrez3
    tompetrez3 Members Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    The album is a classic. Whenever I talk about agg texas rap this is one of the prime examples. This album is hard ? core. Sample heavy and early influence of gangster funk that would be on chronic a year later. Those who voted no are from the east or too young to remember how much contreversy this album caused in 1991. This is texas ? fall back new yorkers.

Yall dont realize how close the government was going to shut down rap music in 1990 and 1991. These older cats should tell yall about the weekly senate hearings that broadcasted on national TV about how dangerous rap and rappers were to society. It wasnt just them trashing the artists they were going after the corporations no matter what their political outlook was. Before this album dropped Mike Tyson, Ice Cube and Ice T were the most hated black men on the planet according to these politicians. The Geto Boys were the "scariest". WCBS cover was considered morbid even in 90s. Willie D was brazenly aggressive macho country alpha male that would not blink infront of a white man in a sandstorm. Willie D was precursor to BLM. No disrespect and I mean this in a goodway but Bushwick Bill was terrfying to look at and that was his greatest asset. Childs Play, Leprachaun and Problem Child were in the theaters at this time. The menendez brothers killed they parents. America was scared of short murderers. When bushwick bill was on the cover holding his eye alot of people questioned the validity of the cover and his injury and size. When mind playing video dropped and they seen a midget (no disrespect) jumping and beating up a man rapping about robbin kids and whooping ? he gained a cult status of fear and horror because people thought he was a real black chucky doll. I know this happened in other hoods in the country too but When we used to play in my grandma projects when it get dark the older kids used to try to scare us saying black chucky was going to chase and ? us or hiding in our closet that ? was scary.

I got off subject a bit but this leads us to scarface. Senate thought he was a real life serial killing crime lord because of his lyrics. This was before all 3 Mr. Biggs and the explosion of gangster rap. Feds took all these lyrics to heart and i believe this album is what started their whole decades harrassment towards rap alot. This was a hard to find album even in 1991. Rap a lot did a independent press and then there is the RAL/Priority pressing. deakino is right this album was heavily dubbed and bootleged. When this album dropped alot of retailers refused to carry it because of the cover. I dont mean mom and pops i mean major chains like tower, sam goody etc. If they did carry it, it was wrapped completely in black plastic behind the counter. Thats why these rap alot tapes and vinyl go for 100s and 1000s on ebay

Mr Scarface 1 and 2 were ignorant tracks back in the day. I dont know about yall city but in Austin, waco area at that time it cause alot of killings and fights at the club behind these songs. Mr scarface is hard hitting and hyperviolent music. Also the senate was ? because of intro to Mr scarface 2. Kids across america especially in texas were singing the itsy bitsy spider song about interacting with dope fiends and mass murder. Here the crazy ? . I lived in Ft. Hood, TX in 91 when mr scarface 2 was hot record on street and it was starting to get play on the radio. The principal and other administrators at our school banned kids from singing this intro because it was making kids bring they dad military weapons to school causing fights and scaring people. not even a week later that racist crag ram his truck into and shoots up lubys and kills over 20 people. Our town was rightfully shook but they started suspending and calling CPS on kids that sung this song after that. My homeboy gerald got kicked out school and transfered to another because he was singing mr scarface at lunch.