Why are so many of our people defiant when it comes to financial literacy

Options

Comments

• NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Lol these threads are funny because they always focus on the bottom feeders or the absolute worst of one group and scale it up as if it's the majority.

If I was to play along with this train of thought, the number one answer would be trust or fear. Why should I trust you with my hard earned money? Why should I trust you know what you're talking about? Is there some kind of insurance on my investment? What if I lose everything, all because I decided to listen to some slick ? in a suit, will I be able to live with myself?

These are the questions that are running through the minds of most potential investors.

The next answer would be, presentation. Most of the people I've witnessed and spoke with regarding financial literacy are absolutely terrible at stating their case. They sound like con men, they're condescending, they're nerdy ass, thesaurus using ass ? , or they don't know how to get their point across. You have to present it in a way that your customer can comprehend what's going on. Explain the concept of investing in general and connect it to something that's important to them or something they're already doing. A lot of the bottom feeder ass ? already practice some form of financial literacy, when they save up for concert tickets, festivals, vacations etc.

...To the thread starter, if you want to truly help people, get with someone or a team who can truly articulate your ideas and is a chameleon of sorts when it comes to presentations. They know what language to use depending on the audience. Your position is better served as the bank. You're too far removed and negative to effectively touch the people directly.

so you saying warren buffet is not a person worth listening to.

he has to play to his audience...huh...ok

you see...a funny story.

their was a kid in school acting up.
    the kid didnt like the teacher cause the kid felt the teacher was wrong for his approach.
    so the kid was about to fail the class because the kid didnt want to listen to the teacher.
    a person pulled this young child to the side and told the child "you can either chose to listen or you can choose not to listen, but either way that person has what you want."

that line stuck with me and now ill give anyone an ear and sort thru the message.
    everyone isnt a great orator or speaker...most people cant speak in front of others or even want to share.

so for your advice as to me jumping thru a bunch of hoops to get people to be better.....i raised my kids. im not going outta my way for ? ...because i got mine. now you can either chose to listen or you can choose not to listen.

as far as those financial people you are speaking about.....why does it matter i they are needs. most come off like that because they are good at what they do but dont have interaction with people. as far as con men....they are everywhere and its usually the ones that know "HOW" to speak to you that take advantage of you.

but i rest my case.

next year we all(those who want it) gonna move into a positive and progressive life

You're not Warren Buffet though. And honestly, his advice is for the advanced investors who have some money to play with, and he's white. So no, I would not have Warren Buffet speak to some of the kids and young adults I build with due to his approach, presentation and celebrity status.

The teacher is at fault in your scenario and should choose a different job as they lack basic skills needed for that position.

My advice to you was to help you maximize efficiency if you were truly serious about helping people. You can do whatever you want, obviously.
  • not_osirus_jenkins
    not_osirus_jenkins Members, Banned Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I only help people I like...? the rest.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol these threads are funny because they always focus on the bottom feeders or the absolute worst of one group and scale it up as if it's the majority.

If I was to play along with this train of thought, the number one answer would be trust or fear. Why should I trust you with my hard earned money? Why should I trust you know what you're talking about? Is there some kind of insurance on my investment? What if I lose everything, all because I decided to listen to some slick ? in a suit, will I be able to live with myself?

These are the questions that are running through the minds of most potential investors.

The next answer would be, presentation. Most of the people I've witnessed and spoke with regarding financial literacy are absolutely terrible at stating their case. They sound like con men, they're condescending, they're nerdy ass, thesaurus using ass ? , or they don't know how to get their point across. You have to present it in a way that your customer can comprehend what's going on. Explain the concept of investing in general and connect it to something that's important to them or something they're already doing. A lot of the bottom feeder ass ? already practice some form of financial literacy, when they save up for concert tickets, festivals, vacations etc.

...To the thread starter, if you want to truly help people, get with someone or a team who can truly articulate your ideas and is a chameleon of sorts when it comes to presentations. They know what language to use depending on the audience. Your position is better served as the bank. You're too far removed and negative to effectively touch the people directly.

you see...a funny story.

the kid didnt like the teacher cause the kid felt the teacher was wrong for his approach.
    so the kid was about to fail the class because the kid didnt want to listen to the teacher.
    a person pulled this young child to the side and told the child "you can either chose to listen or you can choose not to listen, but either way that person has what you want."

that line stuck with me and now ill give anyone an ear and sort thru the message.
    everyone isnt a great orator or speaker...most people cant speak in front of others or even want to share.

so for your advice as to me jumping thru a bunch of hoops to get people to be better.....i raised my kids. im not going outta my way for ? ...because i got mine. now you can either chose to listen or you can choose not to listen.

as far as those financial people you are speaking about.....why does it matter i they are needs. most come off like that because they are good at what they do but dont have interaction with people. as far as con men....they are everywhere and its usually the ones that know "HOW" to speak to you that take advantage of you.

but i rest my case.

next year we all(those who want it) gonna move into a positive and progressive life

You're not Warren Buffet though. And honestly, his advice is for the advanced investors who have some money to play with, and he's white. So no, I would not have Warren Buffet speak to some of the kids and young adults I build with due to his approach, presentation and celebrity status.

The teacher is at fault in your scenario and should choose a different job as they lack basic skills needed for that position.

My advice to you was to help you maximize efficiency if you were truly serious about helping people. You can do whatever you want, obviously.

you sound stupid bruh...

1 student outta 100 aint going make a teacher change....maybe i needed to listen like i was there to do.

so you saying a techer cna teach thousands of students over years but he should find a new job because of one.....yea ok

and to not have warren ? buffet speak to people.....? planet you live on. people pay to hear this man speak ....pay to hear him talk. and you worried about his approach.....ok he drifts in between the 1st and 3rd rches person in the world and he doesnt deserve respect and attention when offering free advice......you have some years to go young man.

people gonna listen to who they want...doesnt mean i wont try. your advice didnt come from a good place so i guess im not serious about helping any then.....

like i said i got mine...try to catch up
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    I only help people I like...? the rest.

thank you for the advice you gave me a while back,.....

it was much appreciated

• Lefty_
    Lefty_ Members, Writer Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

you see...a funny story.

but i rest my case.

I disagree, buffet got universal gems.
  • SimplyKrys
    SimplyKrys Members Posts: 763 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Some people are just impulse buyers and are obsessed with "looking fly" and having the newest Iphone. I have never been like that. I like checking my back account and seeing something there.
  • not_osirus_jenkins
    Options
    Yo. Ive told everyone that debt makes a serious bit of change. So I'm going to add something of serious value to this thread

Americannotewarehouse.com

Thank me later brehs!! Get rich and help out a family member do the same. If we can pass it forward, we can be better as a people.
  • NothingButTheTruth
    edited December 2016
    Options

you see...a funny story.

but i rest my case.

you sound stupid bruh...

1 student outta 100 aint going make a teacher change....maybe i needed to listen like i was there to do.

so you saying a techer cna teach thousands of students over years but he should find a new job because of one.....yea ok

and to not have warren ? buffet speak to people.....? planet you live on. people pay to hear this man speak ....pay to hear him talk. and you worried about his approach.....ok he drifts in between the 1st and 3rd rches person in the world and he doesnt deserve respect and attention when offering free advice......you have some years to go young man.

people gonna listen to who they want...doesnt mean i wont try. your advice didnt come from a good place so i guess im not serious about helping any then.....

like i said i got mine...try to catch up

A true teacher will adjust their approach for every specific individual in the classroom. The same way a true manager will use different leadership styles for each employee he's responsible for. What separates the average from the superstars in these instances is emotional intelligence. The teacher in your scenario should have sensed the student's resistance and addressed him personally.

I never said I didn't respect Buffet in the context of finance. I said his presentations are not for the common man.

As far as "catching up" to you or anyone else, I assure you, we're running completely different races.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    I feel like this tweet is relevant to this thread
    z57wyudn3pez.jpg

• gem$tone
    gem$tone Members Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I usually just lurk here for a number of reasons, but I would definitely take some advice and guidance as far as financial literacy.

If you saying after the new year, you'll be dropping advice, there's people like me that will welcome that.

I really don't know where to start. I'm sitting in a good position where I don't live paycheck to paycheck like a lot of my peers. But I see I just have money not doing nothing except waiting to be spent.

So if I had some short change, like say 2 or 3k, what would be your advice?

I went to the bank awhile back with this same dilemma and all dude was tryna sell me on was buying CD's and ? . And obviously I'm not gonna risk investing a larger amount of funds when I know I am financially illiterate. Just would seem like I'm asking to be taken.

I live in Manhattan just in case that is some info that would be useful in this guidance
  • not_osirus_jenkins
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    I feel like this tweet is relevant to this thread
    z57wyudn3pez.jpg

False, my parents are upper middle class. It has gotten smaller but there is a middle class america. Military families, military contractors, teachers in some states etc are middle class. To act like it doesn't exist is a sure fire way to increase the gap between the poor and wealthy/ultra wealthy.
  • not_osirus_jenkins
    Options
    gem$tone wrote: »
    I usually just lurk here for a number of reasons, but I would definitely take some advice and guidance as far as financial literacy.

If you saying after the new year, you'll be dropping advice, there's people like me that will welcome that.

I really don't know where to start. I'm sitting in a good position where I don't live paycheck to paycheck like a lot of my peers. But I see I just have money not doing nothing except waiting to be spent.

So if I had some short change, like say 2 or 3k, what would be your advice?

I went to the bank awhile back with this same dilemma and all dude was tryna sell me on was buying CD's and ? . And obviously I'm not gonna risk investing a larger amount of funds when I know I am financially illiterate. Just would seem like I'm asking to be taken.

I live in Manhattan just in case that is some info that would be useful in this guidance

@gem$tone check out the url I just posted.
  • gem$tone
    Options
    Oh and I just recently started dealing with these financial advisors, but again due to my shortcomings, I'm a bit skeptical. Company called AXA Advisors. They trying to sell this insurance package to me which I am down for from the number they talking. I don't have any kids so I usually leave stuff like this to my nephew amd gotta start adding my niece.
  • gem$tone
    Options
    Will do Osiris
  • King Erauno
    King Erauno Members Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    most people think money is just to be spent. they dont know ? about investing
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Most folks I know that can't save money can't afford too.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Corporations spend millions to convince people to spend their money on their ? .

The documentary century of the self covers this well. Psychology has been capitalism's ? for a long time.
  • NothingButTheTruth
    Options
    LUClEN wrote: »
    Corporations spend millions to convince people to spend their money on their ? .

The documentary century of the self covers this well. Psychology has been capitalism's ? for a long time.

GOAT'd for the century of the self drop. Good to see, there's some people on this board that know what's up forreal.
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    hopefully this thread dont die by tomorrow cause i really wanna join the convo.. cause i have things to say and theories on this ? ..

unfortunately i have a flight to catch in the AM and i have anxiety issues so im gettin ? at the moment and wont be gettin no sleep.. so before im belligerent and delirious i jus wanted to say all that. lol

but i see u @2stepz_ahead i feeling ur threads as of late..

kudos my ? ..
  • Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Ain't that the truth
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    hopefully this thread dont die by tomorrow cause i really wanna join the convo.. cause i have things to say and theories on this ? ..

unfortunately i have a flight to catch in the AM and i have anxiety issues so im gettin ? at the moment and wont be gettin no sleep.. so before im belligerent and delirious i jus wanted to say all that. lol

but i see u @2stepz_ahead i feeling ur threads as of late..

kudos my ? ..

aye...im on a long flight back to the US.

I'll just get ? on the plane.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    Mr.LV wrote: »

Ain't that the truth

well since you agree with him....do you not think you should include the bottom feeders as he put it?

I'm talking all our people...aint just the broke ones that need financial help and/or advice.

funny how people miss that I admit to money mistakes yet, want to give others advice. maybe, I don't think want someone making the mistakes I made.

? just too wrapped up in how they being taught.

if you ain't paying ?
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    this thread is a classic example of why we spend soo much money and have so much buying power but no one respects our dollar which makes that buying power financially weak. y'all be the same ? claiming ? don't share game.
  • Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mr.LV wrote: »

Ain't that the truth

well since you agree with him....do you not think you should include the bottom feeders as he put it?

I'm talking all our people...aint just the broke ones that need financial help and/or advice.

funny how people miss that I admit to money mistakes yet, want to give others advice. maybe, I don't think want someone making the mistakes I made.

? just too wrapped up in how they being taught.

if you ain't paying ?

I feel it's more of an American Problem if anything than it being just a black problem. Financial literacy should be taught at home and school. It's very rare to see someone teach the younger generation on how to build credit,apply for a loan,savings account,401k ,IRA, ROTH IRA,and how to budget with bills and how to pay down on debt etc.And how to get out of the vicious cycle of living paycheck to paycheck. It's simply because people just don't not know better.
  • Fosheezy
    Fosheezy Members Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    quick money.

if u aint telling me how/contributing to me getting that, ? up out my face