124»

Comments

• 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Mr.LV wrote: »
    Lol these threads are funny because they always focus on the bottom feeders or the absolute worst of one group and scale it up as if it's the majority.

If I was to play along with this train of thought, the number one answer would be trust or fear. Why should I trust you with my hard earned money? Why should I trust you know what you're talking about? Is there some kind of insurance on my investment? What if I lose everything, all because I decided to listen to some slick ? in a suit, will I be able to live with myself?

These are the questions that are running through the minds of most potential investors.

The next answer would be, presentation. Most of the people I've witnessed and spoke with regarding financial literacy are absolutely terrible at stating their case. They sound like con men, they're condescending, they're nerdy ass, thesaurus using ass ? , or they don't know how to get their point across. You have to present it in a way that your customer can comprehend what's going on. Explain the concept of investing in general and connect it to something that's important to them or something they're already doing. A lot of the bottom feeder ass ? already practice some form of financial literacy, when they save up for concert tickets, festivals, vacations etc.

...To the thread starter, if you want to truly help people, get with someone or a team who can truly articulate your ideas and is a chameleon of sorts when it comes to presentations. They know what language to use depending on the audience. Your position is better served as the bank. You're too far removed and negative to effectively touch the people directly.

Ain't that the truth

well since you agree with him....do you not think you should include the bottom feeders as he put it?

I'm talking all our people...aint just the broke ones that need financial help and/or advice.

funny how people miss that I admit to money mistakes yet, want to give others advice. maybe, I don't think want someone making the mistakes I made.

? just too wrapped up in how they being taught.

if you ain't paying ?

I feel it's more of an American Problem if anything than it being just a black problem. Financial literacy should be taught at home and school. It's very rare to see someone teach the younger generation on how to build credit,apply for a loan,savings account,401k ,IRA, ROTH IRA,and how to budget with bills and how to pay down on debt etc.And how to get out of the vicious cycle of living paycheck to paycheck. It's simply because people just don't not know better.

another thing I have noticed...
    whenever someone questions our community, it turns into a American problem or but all cultures do it.

where is OUR focus on OUR problems?

real talk...it seems like a cop out.

kinda like yes, I was speeding but everybody does it. so does that mean you can't be a better person than others or do you want to be a lemming an follow the path other have made for you.

when other people try to correct their problems... they are not thinking if us, yet we keep grouping ourselves with them when we have problems.

next thing you know ? gonna be saying cops shoot white men too...so we should stop complaining

smdh
  • gem$tone
    gem$tone Members Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I liken it to getting your girl to play video games. Even the most simplest like racing where you don't have to know what all the buttons specifically do. Just gas, brake and steering. Then they are still all over the track, getting lapped and can't reach a checkpoint or whatever and they give up due to the frustration of not getting it.

I want to get it. I am not trying to turn 2k into 12k in 8 weeks. I'm trying to understand what I need to do first and the steps I need to take to track what my money is doing. If I even explained that correctly. I read a lot and I have tried to read some of those financial books, but I can't get it. Much like the chick tryna play the video game. So I leave it alone. But I'm not opposed to being taught how to fish. And then in turn teaching my people how to fish as well. I already talk to those that will listen how to use credit cards properly or at least the way I use them without paying interest and other fees. And because I know how I learn, I tell them step by step. Open this card because it has no annual fee then put this amount down. Then only spend it on such and such til you get in the habit of paying immediately what you charged. Two females I rock with and my cousin got their scores from high four hundred and low five to mid seven hundred. Others I have tried to help just didn't listen. And used them like extra money and got burned.
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Maybe money has the answer..
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I try to help people all the time now that I'm doing good but ? some people want a hand out not help.

• NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    gem$tone wrote: »
    I liken it to getting your girl to play video games. Even the most simplest like racing where you don't have to know what all the buttons specifically do. Just gas, brake and steering. Then they are still all over the track, getting lapped and can't reach a checkpoint or whatever and they give up due to the frustration of not getting it.

I want to get it. I am not trying to turn 2k into 12k in 8 weeks. I'm trying to understand what I need to do first and the steps I need to take to track what my money is doing. If I even explained that correctly. I read a lot and I have tried to read some of those financial books, but I can't get it. Much like the chick tryna play the video game. So I leave it alone. But I'm not opposed to being taught how to fish. And then in turn teaching my people how to fish as well. I already talk to those that will listen how to use credit cards properly or at least the way I use them without paying interest and other fees. And because I know how I learn, I tell them step by step. Open this card because it has no annual fee then put this amount down. Then only spend it on such and such til you get in the habit of paying immediately what you charged. Two females I rock with and my cousin got their scores from high four hundred and low five to mid seven hundred. Others I have tried to help just didn't listen. And used them like extra money and got burned.

Exactly what I was getting at earlier. HOW the information is presented is probably the most important part.
  • JokerzWyld
    JokerzWyld Members Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The economy moves in a cycle via an up and down motion over time. Much like the game of double Dutch, the art is in knowing when to jump in and when to get out. Buy when the share price is low, sell when it's value increases before the INEVITABLE downturn. You choose individual companies you trust, or have confidence in, or you can go an advisor or firm to invest for you in mutual funds.

Some companies offer dividends, or percentages of the profits based on the value and the amount of shares you own. Diversification is the key though. Stocks do fall, but different industries rise and fall at different times; so although oil may be performing badly in the market now, the low costs allow the Airline industry to gain larger revenues.

The information on stock performance can be found on the NYSE website by looking up their market symbols. Remember, you don't have to invest in the market only. There are websites online that allow people to invest in startups as well. You can even investigate local businesses to see if they are interested in investors.
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Too many Black people are stupid and me personally I'm not helping a mother f****** soul that I cannot see eye-to-eye with

and if we are not on the same Accord, if we don't think very similar I'm not helping your black ass because if you can't see what I see then I can't make you see it
  • NeighborhoodNomad.
    NeighborhoodNomad. Members Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If most of y'all have disposable income like that, that's what's up. The vast majority of people I know, including myself are less than a check away from the streets. The only times I know folks with disposable income is from a tax return.

Most people I know are stuck trying to play catchup and don't have the resources to change their situation and invest in anything but basic needs.

@2stepz_ahead

You asked why we don't invest. But my question is the same for brothers like you.

We are the ones who need to be invested in.

And it's not just enough to tell us what to do. It needs to be shown, regularly. Y'all need to be around or available.

So who's willing to invest in our ideas, business, co-ops, nonprofits, etc?

Who's willing to invest in us with not only game, but resources?
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    gem$tone wrote: »

Exactly what I was getting at earlier. HOW the information is presented is probably the most important part.

nah it wasn't...that man will take his time with a one on one with his girl. ? will be a process and happen overtime. he is not expecting her to get it all on the first lesson but he would like it is she did show a bit of interest with something he likes for them to bond.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    If most of y'all have disposable income like that, that's what's up. The vast majority of people I know, including myself are less than a check away from the streets. The only times I know folks with disposable income is from a tax return.

Most people I know are stuck trying to play catchup and don't have the resources to change their situation and invest in anything but basic needs.

@2stepz_ahead

You asked why we don't invest. But my question is the same for brothers like you.

And it's not just enough to tell us what to do. It needs to be shown, regularly. Y'all need to be around or available.

I do invest into people and those who ask. but you also have to be willing to put in work an hear ? you may not like an suck it up.

building wealth is not easy. with an open ear ..it may be easier for someone coming behind me...but if you want to get rich overnight....you got to be willing to be disappointed.

so then it comes back to the point of the thread...I'll post ? to hell people learn slowly ,over time at their pace or whatever.

the investment can be just that small to start something bigger.

like I pointed out...Google was $48.

people have to be ok, with babysteps. to many here to run a marathon out the ? then get mad ? ain't work an blame the teacher an say they ain't know what they was doing or talking about
  • Fosheezy
    Fosheezy Members Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Front me 20k investment cash upfront and I'll return to you 25k within a year. You don't need to know what I do with the cash but I will send u a check every month and we'all do the paper work on it and all.

That's like 15 times better than any bank will offer you. Who bout that?

• 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    Fosheezy wrote: »
    Front me 20k investment cash upfront and I'll return to you 25k within a year. You don't need to know what I do with the cash but I will send u a check every month and we'all do the paper work on it and all.

That's like 15 times better than any bank will offer you. Who bout that?

trolling is not welcomed.
  • NeighborhoodNomad.
    Options

@2stepz_ahead

I do invest into people and those who ask. but you also have to be willing to put in work an hear ? you may not like an suck it up.

building wealth is not easy. with an open ear ..it may be easier for someone coming behind me...but if you want to get rich overnight....you got to be willing to be disappointed.

so then it comes back to the point of the thread...I'll post ? to hell people learn slowly ,over time at their pace or whatever.

people have to be ok, with babysteps. to many here to run a marathon out the ? then get mad ? ain't work an blame the teacher an say they ain't know what they was doing or talking about

"Rich overnight"? "Put in work"? Who expects overnight riches?

Are you suggesting that most of the people who are financially stuck are stuck because they're not putting in enough work?

I don't understand how this post relates to what I was saying.

Someone mentioned earlier about learning to fish/hunt and that's important. But many of us already know how to fish and hunt, well.

What we need are the tools and resources to hunt and fish.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options

@2stepz_ahead

Are you suggesting that most of the people who are financially stuck are stuck because they're not putting in enough work?

Someone mentioned earlier about learning to fish/hunt and that's important. But many of us already know how to fish and hunt, well.

as a person who wants to help often ....many people want to get rich overnight....

and people will hold you accountable for them failing..

this is where responsibility comes into play,

but let me ask you question....what tools are you looking for.....
  • Koltrain
    Koltrain Members Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Lol these threads are funny because they always focus on the bottom feeders or the absolute worst of one group and scale it up as if it's the majority.

If I was to play along with this train of thought, the number one answer would be trust or fear. Why should I trust you with my hard earned money? Why should I trust you know what you're talking about? Is there some kind of insurance on my investment? What if I lose everything, all because I decided to listen to some slick ? in a suit, will I be able to live with myself?

These are the questions that are running through the minds of most potential investors.

The next answer would be, presentation. Most of the people I've witnessed and spoke with regarding financial literacy are absolutely terrible at stating their case. They sound like con men, they're condescending, they're nerdy ass, thesaurus using ass ? , or they don't know how to get their point across. You have to present it in a way that your customer can comprehend what's going on. Explain the concept of investing in general and connect it to something that's important to them or something they're already doing. A lot of the bottom feeder ass ? already practice some form of financial literacy, when they save up for concert tickets, festivals, vacations etc.

...To the thread starter, if you want to truly help people, get with someone or a team who can truly articulate your ideas and is a chameleon of sorts when it comes to presentations. They know what language to use depending on the audience. Your position is better served as the bank. You're too far removed and negative to effectively touch the people directly.

Ain't that the truth

well since you agree with him....do you not think you should include the bottom feeders as he put it?

I'm talking all our people...aint just the broke ones that need financial help and/or advice.

funny how people miss that I admit to money mistakes yet, want to give others advice. maybe, I don't think want someone making the mistakes I made.

? just too wrapped up in how they being taught.

if you ain't paying ?

I feel it's more of an American Problem if anything than it being just a black problem. Financial literacy should be taught at home and school. It's very rare to see someone teach the younger generation on how to build credit,apply for a loan,savings account,401k ,IRA, ROTH IRA,and how to budget with bills and how to pay down on debt etc.And how to get out of the vicious cycle of living paycheck to paycheck. It's simply because people just don't not know better.

another thing I have noticed...
    whenever someone questions our community, it turns into a American problem or but all cultures do it.

where is OUR focus on OUR problems?

real talk...it seems like a cop out.

when other people try to correct their problems... they are not thinking if us, yet we keep grouping ourselves with them when we have problems.

smdh

Cosign. The effects of economic issues in America are intensified for black people. Our needs are unique and it doesn't just affect "bottom feeders" when there are high income people who still struggle with financial literacy. I blame the American education system. There should be personal finance classes at every grade level.
  • NeighborhoodNomad.
    Options

@2stepz_ahead

as a person who wants to help often ....many people want to get rich overnight....

and people will hold you accountable for them failing..

this is where responsibility comes into play,

but let me ask you question....what tools are you looking for.....

I missed this post.

Excellent question!

It depends on the organization you're looking to support.

The tools I need are resources. Not necessarily money but knowledge and resources.

If this is a serious question pm me and I'll give you a link or two so you can check out what we're building. It answers you question in detail.

Every nonprofit, co-op and business we're building addresses the immediate and long term needs of the community.

All of these programs can be applied locally and internationally.

Hit me up if you're really trying to build.