Words, sayings, phrases, slang, that you hate?

Options

Comments

• NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Don't hate any phrase, but people need to reevaluate their use of the following:

When used by an emotional black person that has a difference in opinion:

?
    uncle tom
    ?

When used by anyone that's not black:

? - it's not a term of endearment even when black people use it, it's just a substitute word, and saying it to the wrong person will get you hurt

When used by anyone that doesn't know what it means:

sun - but the ignorant spell it like son, like a father speaking to their son, which is obvious disrespect if that's not the case.
  • AP21
    AP21 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 17,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    irony had me rolling in here though lol
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Like even hick-ass girls that wear camo say ? boy. To then it has an almost literal meaning, a boy that only wants to ? .
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Agree on the "? " ? . I posted on this before.

Interesting that Black people using this word (some) has done more to stop me from wanting to use it than white people using it.

Make no mistake tho, white people get no pass from me for using it, I'll ? somebody up.

But hearing Black people use that ? , and argue to use it, in place of meaning "a Black person" ... smmfh.
  •  i ro ny
    i ro ny Members Posts: 8,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Will Munny wrote: »
    Like even hick-ass girls that wear camo say ? boy. To then it has an almost literal meaning, a boy that only wants to ? .

Smh.

• Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I hate when mfers try to define ? by saying it means "ignorant person"

No, no it doesn't. That's just what they told you to justify the use.
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    7figz wrote: »
    Agree on the "? " ? . I posted on this before.

Interesting that Black people using this word (some) has done more to stop me from wanting to use it than white people using it.

Make no mistake tho, white people get no pass from me for using it, I'll ? somebody up.

But hearing Black people use that ? , and argue to use it, in place of meaning "a Black person" ... smmfh.

r4yxr23xrg3u.jpg

Pretty good book.. on my 2nd read now
  • farris2k1
    farris2k1 Members Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "Byke" instead of "back"
    Lmao ? used to have me rollin the way plies says that ? he still the only ? i know thats ever says it like that
  • Qiv_Owan
    Qiv_Owan Members Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "Im different"
  • The Recipe
    The Recipe Members Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Pacific used instead of specific
    Boi
    Everything Gucci Mane says
  • felliwonda
    felliwonda Members Posts: 416 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    @7figz and @NothingButTheTruth.
    All jokes aside man I would like to ask you guys a question but before I do let me share this...

I was born in Nicaragua and you know as a kid I remember growing up and not seeing any kind of space for discrimination solely on anyone's color of skin especially with such a mixture of cultures and ethnic groups so of course we have a big population of Black people, white People mestizos and so forth and so on... You know over there sometimes people use the slang term mi ? / mi negra which if translated to English is obviously (my ? ) but I don't know how to explain that we don't use this term to offend anyone, see my uncle for instance a well known lawyer pretty humble dude used to call my sister mi negra but for instance yu can see the intention on what was said before or after the term never offensive in our case you get me... Not to mention the fact that like I said we come from a multi-ethnic family tree so we got it all in our family no lie middle-eastern, Asian, Black, native Indian you name it, so again there was really no space for ignorant discriminitative terms solely on physical appereance. In fact there was way more discriminating against class if you will wether you were "poor, middle-class or rich".

Anyways once I moved to the states still a kid of course the culture is different here starting with the language.
    Now not much changed around my house I was raised by my Dad he is Haitian (my stepfather but the man raised me not my biological father. so he is my Dad) and you know my cousins and friends in school and in the hood, we used the term my ? a lot, a lot yo and again never with a malicious intention.
    Now of course as I got older I started to watch how I spoke in general I barely use the term especially around OLDER folks out of respect and neverminding the persons ethnicity or cultural background I just barely use the term.

My question to you guys is...
    Do you realize that there is a lot of people out there that truly don't know the history of the word ? and I mean really are naive to the word.

Also there is people that do know and are just blatantly
    Racist... And people don't care to know the truth and history.

And well I don't feel guilty of using the word because I know the times I have ignorantly used it especially back when I was immature, I never used it with the intentions to offend.

Do you guys think this could be more of an American history issue about the word because in Latin America the word is used of course in the language and only time is offensive to the person is if it is used completely to demote a person because of their physical appereance or class?

• NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    felliwonda wrote: »
    7figz and NothingButTheTruth.
    All jokes aside man I would like to ask you guys a question but before I do let me share this...

I was born in Nicaragua and you know as a kid I remember growing up and not seeing any kind of space for discrimination solely on anyone's color of skin especially with such a mixture of cultures and ethnic groups so of course we have a big population of Black people, white People mestizos and so forth and so on... You know over there sometimes people use the slang term mi ? / mi negra which if translated to English is obviously (my ? ) but I don't know how to explain that we don't use this term to offend anyone, see my uncle for instance a well known lawyer pretty humble dude used to call my sister mi negra but for instance yu can see the intention on what was said before or after the term never offensive in our case you get me... Not to mention the fact that like I said we come from a multi-ethnic family tree so we got it all in our family no lie middle-eastern, Asian, Black, native Indian you name it, so again there was really no space for ignorant discriminitative terms solely on physical appereance. In fact there was way more discriminating against class if you will wether you were "poor, middle-class or rich".

Anyways once I moved to the states still a kid of course the culture is different here starting with the language.
    Now not much changed around my house I was raised by my Dad he is Haitian (my stepfather but the man raised me not my biological father. so he is my Dad) and you know my cousins and friends in school and in the hood, we used the term my ? a lot, a lot yo and again never with a malicious intention.
    Now of course as I got older I started to watch how I spoke in general I barely use the term especially around OLDER folks out of respect and neverminding the persons ethnicity or cultural background I just barely use the term.

Do you realize that there is a lot of people out there that truly don't know the history of the word ? and I mean really are naive to the word.

And well I don't feel guilty of using the word because I know the times I have ignorantly used it especially back when I was immature, I never used it with the intentions to offend.

Do you guys think this could be more of an American history issue about the word because in Latin America the word is used of course in the language and only time is offensive to the person is if it is used completely to demote a person because of their physical appereance or class?

I have only really lived in one country, the United States of America, so that's where my perspective is drawn from. So it maybe only specific to our country, I'm not sure. I just know wherever you decide to live, you have to adjust to the cultural norms, not the other way around. In this country, "? " used by a non-black person is offensive and never has been truly used as a term of endearment. It's a substitute word that can mean a plethora of different things depending on the tone and context, but it comes off as disingenuous.

If a non-black person uses the word, I just let it be known I don't feel comfortable with them using the word around me. If they aren't trying to stir ? up, they'll refrain from using it around me. If not, the situation will escalate and I'll act accordingly. It's comparable to the same way I ask people not to use words like "? " around my little cousins and nieces.

Yes, I completely understand that people don't know the history of the word or care to respect the explanation of the history of the word as the logic isn't too sound, but whose fault is that? If I don't know the laws in a foreign country or care to respect them because they sound silly, and violate, I'll still get checked by the locals. In sum, it all boils down to respect.
  • felliwonda
    felliwonda Members Posts: 416 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    7figz and NothingButTheTruth.

I have only really lived in one country, the United States of America, so that's where my perspective is drawn from. So it maybe only specific to our country, I'm not sure. I just know wherever you decide to live, you have to adjust to the cultural norms, not the other way around. In this country, "? " used by a non-black person is offensive and never has been truly used as a term of endearment. It's a substitute word that can mean a plethora of different things depending on the tone and context, but it comes off as disingenuous.

If a non-black person uses the word, I just let it be known I don't feel comfortable with them using the word around me. If they aren't trying to stir ? up, they'll refrain from using it around me. If not, the situation will escalate and I'll act accordingly. It's comparable to the same way I ask people not to use words like "? " around my little cousins and nieces.

Yes, I completely understand that people don't know the history of the word or care to respect the explanation of the history of the word as the logic isn't too sound, but whose fault is that? If I don't know the laws in a foreign country or care to respect them because they sound silly, and violate, I'll still get checked by the locals. In sum, it all boils down to respect.

Absolutely I hear you man... Well I like the point you made that you don't want the word being used the same way you don't want the profanity around your girls that's the way we deal at home as well and yes respect is priority.

Yeah culture in Latin America is a little different with the word usage and this specific word for instance. Don't get me wrong in all Latin American countries and the Caribbean such demeaning terms have been used agains Afro-Latin Americans and Indian Natives I just think the whole class thing is more dominant as far as discriminitation goes over in other countries but not completely void of racism.

Good look on the explanation man and is sad that the elite and humanity has tainted things with races and ethnicities and all the class ? I think that's what is messing is all up as one race and that's the human race.
    Divide and conquer is the motto they move by too bad a lot of people don't open their eyes and learn from each other instead of just pointing fingers... The slang usage as whole is part of the situation too so I can understand why a lot of people have posted their dislikes towards certain slang words their usage and meaning.
  • bkkbully
    bkkbully Members Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "Whats wrong?"

When a woman asks me that out of nowhere, for some reason that ? drives me to another level of fury. Never understood why but its the verbal equivalent of punching me in the face
  •  i ro ny
    i ro ny Members Posts: 8,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bkkbully wrote: »
    "Whats wrong?"

When a woman asks me that out of nowhere, for some reason that ? drives me to another level of fury. Never understood why but its the verbal equivalent of punching me in the face

man i hate that ? .
  • fuc_i_look_like
    fuc_i_look_like Members Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    7figz wrote: »
    "That part".

Like wtf does that ? even mean lol?? Tiffany Haddish was on Shade 45's 'Rude Jude' two days ago doing an interview, and I had to turn the station because she said "that part" after damn near every sentence. Ruined an otherwise good interview. @7figz
  • PILL_COSBY
    PILL_COSBY Members Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Boi instead of boy.
    I always thought that was slang women and ? dudes used in atlanta. Then I start seeing dudes with that spelling in their names or when they post ? .

Coo instead of cool
    Mostly white boys that are trying to be "down" post that. Then I started to see som black folks using it smh.

Bra instead of bruh
    Mostly white boys that do this lol.

Lit
    It's been ran into the ground and white people have it in their vocabulary. Also the word originally was used for being really ? or high. Years ago In cali(especially in the bay) we gave this word another use. It was just another way of saying "off the hook"/"it was live"/"hella fun"etc etc. We kinda stopped using it years ago. Recently, all of a sudden a young rapper from atlanta started using it. Now this usage of the word has come back and is now worldwide. Same thing happened to the word "salty" smh.

Baby mama/daddy
    No need to explain why smh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I hate when ppl spell ? that ends with a -ck with two c's....like bacc, fucc, etc...

Smh.
    1) you're not a crip.
    2) it's stupid as ? to be grown and purposely spell ? wrong. So you really just overrode autocorrect for that ? ?
    Smh.

whats craccin cuhz??????????????????????????????????????????????????????
  • luke1733
    luke1733 Members Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Billion with a B- not need to say with a B. There's no other confusion for a word that starts with B. Nobody confuses B with M for million.
    irregardless- it's just regardless
    Fiddy- Come on, just say fifty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDD-qsUVjbg
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    @7figz and @NothingButTheTruth.

I understand what you're saying but still gotta pass. When I get to the point that I'm responding casually to somebody of another race calling me a possible slur, when there's so many other words out here ? For instance, am I going to find a derogatory term for their ethnicity and use that to refer to them in response - ex. "What up ? ? I'm good, what up ? ? How ya ? wife doing ?" etc... The ? is just unnecessary.

And even though the American usage of the word might not be the same usage of the word in other places, I have my doubts of it ever being a favorable (or even neutral) term to refer to a Black person.

• numbaz...80's baby
    numbaz...80's baby Members Posts: 5,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    gibor wrote: »
    blackrain wrote: »
    I'm hearing the word "Moe" instead of "bro" a lot lately

That ? is lame AF Moe.

Who tf is Moe?

Thats always been a bronx slang

My best friend was born and raised in the Bronx, Pelham Parkway projects, and I've never once heard him say moe and I never heard a BX ? say it in the million times I been up there...in fact that ? would ask me what it meant when I would say it

Pretty sure its old slang from cleveland

I hear it from Ohio ? the most and they were the 1st ppl I heard say it. Spreading through Ga though.

But who tf is Moe?
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? - it's not a term of endearment even when black people use it, it's just a substitute word

Not true at all.
    and saying it to the wrong person will get you hurt

Now, this is true.
  • King_MOEbra
    King_MOEbra Members Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i ro ny wrote: »
    bkkbully wrote: »
    "Whats wrong?"

man i hate that ? .

What's wrong?