J.Cole's "For Your Eyez Only" Rating Thread

Options

Comments

• IceBergTaylor
    IceBergTaylor Members Posts: 19,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Now we wait for one of his classic yet bland and Buzz Killington-esque comebacks
  • blacktux
    blacktux Members Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn shame people in here "trying" to like the album instead of just calling it what it is.

Just based off the artist; same way cole criticized all of the people that continue to support Kanye KNOWING he missing the mark.

• TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Decent Album
    Life of Pablo >> 4 Your Eyez Only

-Ultralight beam
    -Father Stretch My Hands
    -Waves
    -FML
    -Real Friends
    -30 Hours
    -No More Parties in LA
    -Saint Pablo

Kanye defeats Cole in 2016
  • JokerzWyld
    JokerzWyld Members Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Great Album
    This is the first Cole album I bought since Sideline Story. I was impressed with this album. I liked the concept. I felt like it was an affirmation of Black manhood, and an indictment of the false standard of "niggerness" that permeates the black community.

I can understand where the harsh critiques come from though. Cole's flaw was in his marketing approach. The singles he dropped didn't match the album concept at all. Perhaps they will appear on a J Cole Lost Tapes or something. It's not the music that brings down the album, it's the expectations of the audience.
  • Ghostdenithegawd
    Ghostdenithegawd Members Posts: 16,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Still haven't listened
  • bck145
    bck145 Members Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    ? 's Trash
    Now we wait for one of his classic yet bland and Buzz Killington-esque comebacks

I could just pull one of your comebacks....ask you to post a video to change my mind and when you do I'll dismiss it everytime

Keep it a buck then...if u don't agree with my opinion feel free to post your opinion on the album...Cuban could post his too but we've all witnessed his taste in hip hop is complete ?
  • TheRicanKing
    TheRicanKing Members Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Great Album
    blacktux wrote: »
    Damn shame people in here "trying" to like the album instead of just calling it what it is.

Just based off the artist; same way cole criticized all of the people that continue to support Kanye KNOWING he missing the mark.

I disagree, it's generally a good album. I think it's people's expectations of this is what's causing mixed opinions and besides like I said before, Cole has gotten the same response since Born Sinner. At first it's okay or Meh and then months later it's a good or great album and they find themselves coming back to it.

No disrespect to others who liked a certain album I'm about to name but remember that Yeezus trash? That's the album people were forcing themselves to like!
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Decent Album
    Decent. The singing is a no go.
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Decent Album
    bck145 wrote: »
    Dude isn't rapping to his full potential

Concept is cool but the execution is awful...there's nothing behind the lyrics...like he didn't totally buy in

Production doesn't help the lack of emotion in the lyrics or voice at all

I think too many people get caught up in a creative concept and give things a pass when everything else within the album is lacking

This in a nutshell.... same with his last album and the Kendrick one. The concept and message are A1 but the albums are lacking. Production has to be better esp seeing better production on their other albums
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Someone please PM me a link of this and ab souls album or I'll clap this ? up
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Decent Album
    R.D. wrote: »
    I can't review it until i am running from New Orleans ? on the IC who pulled up to my crib cause of the Young Ma thread. Nor can i review it until i bump the album on inventory day on Wednesday at my local subway.

This wasn't funny

He rarely is

Cosign
  • GetoBoy
    GetoBoy Members Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Great Album
    Album of the year
  • IceBergTaylor
    Options
    bck145 wrote: »

I could just pull one of your comebacks....ask you to post a video to change my mind and when you do I'll dismiss it everytime

Keep it a buck then...if u don't agree with my opinion feel free to post your opinion on the album...Cuban could post his too but we've all witnessed his taste in hip hop is complete ?

avvaF4M.gif

Are you finished or are you done?
  • TheGOAT
    Options
    Decent Album
    TheGOAT wrote: »
    Life of Pablo >> 4 Your Eyez Only

-Ultralight beam
    -Father Stretch My Hands
    -Waves
    -FML
    -Real Friends
    -30 Hours
    -No More Parties in LA
    -Saint Pablo

Kanye defeats Cole in 2016

Shout out to the 1 poster is who Cosigned this.

Reveal yourself for a Reason Poster of the Year nom
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Decent Album
    _Goldie_ wrote: »
    So the album isn't dope cuz he didn't take the approach y'all thought he was?

I dont want to derail the thread so I won't say the name but cmon fam. Thats exactly how it is with ? around here. You out here the most so you already know.

Its what I expected which is decent. I don't see it lasting on the playlist tho. Gonna give it a 2nd car test on the way home.
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Decent Album
    These new ? (the good ones) are heavily influenced by Mos Def. They have ways to go before they perfect their take on that style, but they use very similar melodic patterns and cadence.
  • achewon87
    achewon87 Members Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Decent Album
    Good album...

Wasn't blown away by any of it, the singing hurts it, a proper feature for singing hooks would have helped tremendously...

It's really the only problem I have with it, not a Cole fan so it won't get many spins from me either way...
  • AP21
    AP21 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 17,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    _Goldie_ wrote: »
    5th Letter wrote: »
    Stew For Your Eyez Only classic or not?

I'm thinkin Cole ? one of Stew's ? back in HS, this ? is campaignin like Trump in this mf :joy:

you know what...nevermind
  • IceBergTaylor
    Options
    These new ? (the good ones) are heavily influenced by Mos Def. They have ways to go before they perfect their take on that style, but they use very similar melodic patterns and cadence.

Lmaoooo this is random as ? . Mos is that ? but who has been heavily influenced by him?
  • TheGOAT
    Options
    Decent Album
    LOL yall trippin

Pablo was on rotation in the whip after it dropped

I am pretty much over this cole album 3days later
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Decent Album

Lmaoooo this is random as ? . Mos is that ? but who has been heavily influenced by him?

After scanning Cole's album I picked up on some heavy Mos Def imitation.

But new rappers influenced are J Cole, ASAP Rocky, Kendrick etc.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    Pablo has grown on me a lot I revisited it a few weeks ago and it's better to me now than when I first heard it. That's why it's hard to judge music that just came out you have to give it time. I think this Cole album may age well.
  • RickyRich
    RickyRich Members Posts: 13,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Still didnt listen to this as let .