Wrongfully convicted Tenn. man gets $75 after 31 years in prison, now he’s fighting for $1 million

Options
MasterJayN100
MasterJayN100 Members Posts: 11,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
exonerated-payment.jpg

b2-villafranca-tn-exonorated-1212brighter.jpg

no-justice.png

A Tennessee man released from prison after a wrongful conviction put him away for 31 years is fighting an exoneration case that could grant him $1 million in compensation.

Lawrence McKinney, 60, of Memphis, Tenn., was convicted of ? and burglary in 1978 and was sentenced to prison for 115 years. He was released in 2009 after DNA evidence ruled him out as a suspect in the case.

After his release, McKinney was issued $75, and he could be eligible for up to $1 million in compensation if the Tennessee Parole Board hears his exoneration case, which has been denied twice already.

“I don’t have no life, all my life was taken away,” he told CBS News.

McKinney’s lawyer, Jack Lowery said he’s suffered enough and thinks that he should receive the compensation after 31 years behind bars.

“It is not justice for him not to receive compensation for being wrongfully imprisoned,” Lowery told the network.

In September, the parole board voted 7-0 to deny his exoneration case. Now, it’s up to Gov. Bill Haslam (R-Tenn.), who receives exoneration applications, to have the final say.

The governor’s press secretary, Jennifer Donnals, told The Tennessean that after the September decision, Haslam received an executive clemency application on Nov. 21.

His decision to act could come soon with or without the parole board’s recommendation.

If McKinney’s case is approved he would also have the option to clear his name.

Patsy Bruce served on the parole board that denied McKinney’s first exoneration hearing, and she said she’s still not convinced he’s innocent.

That case was rejected because the judge and the district attorney did not provide sufficient evidence that was properly tested, she said.

“There has been one mistake made that sent him to prison. I trust that another is not made that does not allow him exoneration,” Lowery told CBS.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/tenn-man-fights-1-million-compensation-31-years-jail-article-1.2909683?cid=bitly

Comments

• Undefeatable
    Undefeatable Members Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    So DNA evidence -- DNA EVIDENCE-- was sufficient to rule him out as a suspect in the case, but "the judge and the district attorney did not provide sufficient evidence that was properly tested, according to the parole board? Huh?
  • R0mp
    R0mp Members Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Parole board member Patsy Bruce is the person who's still not convinced he's innocent.
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Better add some more zeroes to that $75. I would need AT LEAST 6 more zeroes just to feel comfortable

It's no way they could repay 31 years but they should be responsible for making sure the rest of his time on earth is nothing short of amazing.

That's complete ? what they did to that man. Anyone responsible for his incarceration should be imprisoned.

• texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    this is a complete violation of human rights yet we are supposed to have faith in the justice system?
    scustin
  • MasterJayN100
    Options
    why would you pay a man 75 dollars for an conviction he didnt do?total slap in the face
  • felliwonda
    felliwonda Members Posts: 416 ✭✭✭
    Options
    After DNA testing shows he is innocent I hope and pray he wins man, unbelievable what they did to this man smh. It's ? nasty from their behalf to have taken away his life and still have the audacity to deny his exoneration case just for some money that he deserves. True definition of pigs right there.
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? justice system in Tenn
  • bgoat
    bgoat Members Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    R0mp wrote: »
    Parole board member Patsy Bruce is the person who's still not convinced he's innocent.

Sticking to the CODE.
  • bgoat
    bgoat Members Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Where is the equality for black people? But there is no racism.

I bet that Patsy ? consider herself to be a Christian too
  • Ghostdenithegawd
    Ghostdenithegawd Members Posts: 16,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Looks like r.kelly a bit
  • MasterJayN100
    Options
    Looks like r.kelly a bit

r.kelly if they wouldve convicted him of child molestation
  • brown321
    brown321 Members Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    why would you pay a man 75 dollars for an conviction he didnt do?total slap in the face

The 75 is for anyone getting out of prison, so in actuality they paid him nothing.
  • chgarcia345
    chgarcia345 Members Posts: 577 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    (R-Tenn) .......

It's up to that (him) for justice??
    Hope justice wins regardless of obstacles ahead
  • vageneral08
    vageneral08 Members Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    R.D. wrote: »
    1 million ain't even in the ballpark

Yeah he low-balled his damn self saying that
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    U lock me for rapin a ? and i aint do it
    Im definitely rapin ? now
  • MallyG
    MallyG Members Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    MallyG wrote: »
    MallyG wrote: »
    Props to that brotha, but what's crazy is there's been multiple cases of people who have been wrongly/unjustly incarcerated for half they life, got out for whatever beneficial leagl reason and only get a million or a lil' over that in a "settlement". I would need a millionSSSS in that case.

They need to set some parameters for this ? !

Stop hatin ?

lololololol..... No hate over this way bruh!

I'm happy for that nikka win! All of US (I think) would do 32 hours.... Hell, I'd sit down 32 days for that kinda check! But I wish the countless black men who've been in prison for 5,10, 20+ years on some trumped up charges only to get out afterwards b/c they were actually innocent would get @ least 10 million, but that's usually not the case.

My comment on the thread where dude got 600K for being locked up for 36 hours.

Men like Mr. McKinney need to be gettin' a check cut in the double digit ballpark.